Joshua Zirkzee is a Red | and our #11

Is he going bald already?

Not that rare.

Most people who will lose their hair start to notice significant hairline issues by 25.

If you still have a strong hairline at 30 you will almost certainly never go bald. But yes he will be bald by his early 30s

Great to see signing like this. We used to go for big name with silly money and spend like a drunk sailor without a proper plan.

This is the proper way to built a club responsibly and more sustainable.

Some quotes about Zirkzee from people who understand football

Roberto Baggio: "I like him a lot. He had an exceptional season at Bologna. He's got great quality and he has excellent potential"

Fabio Capello: "“Apart from Lautaro, I’m in love with the Bologna centre-forward. I saw him at San Siro against Milan and I admired a complete player with great technical qualities, gifted with great imagination, capable of understanding the game, running a lot and imposing himself physically.

“He’s the modern player with a lot of quality. He has quick thinking and always chooses the play that can hurt the opponent the most. He has technical and tactical sensitivity,” he stated.

Thiago Motta: "He's got an extremely talented player. He's a rare breed in today's football. He's got excellent technique and great physicality however he's also unselfish. He first think of others then of himself (football wise). That gives him an edge over selfish players who tend to put their own interest first. We're very happy that he's got that and so is he"

Gullit: I love Zirkzee. I saw him playing even with the U17 alongside my own son and I know him very well. He's got a great eye for goal and great positioning. He would be an excellent signing for Milan

Van Basten: He's an excellent player with great potential but he's still young and he has still lot to prove. Time will tell how good he is and whether he can become a legend. However he's a quality player.

Amauri: Many wrote to me regarding Zirkzee. They say that he's similar to how I used to play. That brings me great pleasure because he's a great player. I think they are right and we do have a similar game. We move alike especially when I was young. I'd love to see him play at Juventus"
Yet redcafe experts see new Antony in him.

He is a good player. It would be interesting to see how Ten Hag uses him. Hope our wide players have their scoring boots on and are able to maximize his strengths. I suspect we'll see us use 4312 in some games with him being the '1' and Rasford & Hojlund as the two main attackers.

Big Antony vibes this.

Based on what exactly?

He doesn’t have a huge price tag on his head, he isn’t a last minute panic buy to try and save a dreadful start like Antony was and he’s coming off a great season in Italy.

Just give him a chance and see what he can do before you stick the boot in.

Some quotes about Zirkzee from people who understand football

Roberto Baggio: "I like him a lot. He had an exceptional season at Bologna. He's got great quality and he has excellent potential"

Fabio Capello: "“Apart from Lautaro, I’m in love with the Bologna centre-forward. I saw him at San Siro against Milan and I admired a complete player with great technical qualities, gifted with great imagination, capable of understanding the game, running a lot and imposing himself physically.

“He’s the modern player with a lot of quality. He has quick thinking and always chooses the play that can hurt the opponent the most. He has technical and tactical sensitivity,” he stated.

Thiago Motta: "He's got an extremely talented player. He's a rare breed in today's football. He's got excellent technique and great physicality however he's also unselfish. He first think of others then of himself (football wise). That gives him an edge over selfish players who tend to put their own interest first. We're very happy that he's got that and so is he"

Gullit: I love Zirkzee. I saw him playing even with the U17 alongside my own son and I know him very well. He's got a great eye for goal and great positioning. He would be an excellent signing for Milan

Van Basten: He's an excellent player with great potential but he's still young and he has still lot to prove. Time will tell how good he is and whether he can become a legend. However he's a quality player.

Amauri: Many wrote to me regarding Zirkzee. They say that he's similar to how I used to play. That brings me great pleasure because he's a great player. I think they are right and we do have a similar game. We move alike especially when I was young. I'd love to see him play at Juventus"

Capello and Motta's comments have made me really interested to see what he can bring to the team

Capello and Motta's comments have made me really interested to see what he can bring to the team

We've been dying for someone who can be a bit more selfless and make the correct decision in that frontline.

All of Rashford, Garnacho and Antony would rather shoot from a stupid angle than knock it sideways to someone else with an open goal.

should we expect Zirkzee to play a bit more like Kane or Morata(in the match going on now) where they are always dropping in to help iwht the build and get on the ball?

I seen a lot of Zirkzee for a long time now. Because he’s gifted he likes to drop deep and get involved with the game. But he’s also quite quick and athletic, there’s still quite a lot of things he can still develop. He’s nothing like some of the ex United players he’s been compared to, he’s more gifted than those and has a different style of play. He certainly likes to look for the pass and is unselfish, good reader of the game.
There’s always a doubt if he’ll succeed and there’s still room to improve, but he’s very gifted & talented. At 23 he needs to push on and show us he’s an elite player as his talents suggest, but he’s definitely an exciting signing imo and a crowd pleaser.

Great that we have got this one wrapped up early. I'm not sure if he is the right signing for us, as he doesn't seem that prolific in front of goal and that was an issue for us last season. Though hopefully he can improve on that, while also making our attack more dangerous as a whole.

Great that we have got this one wrapped up early. I'm not sure if he is the right signing for us, as he doesn't seem that prolific in front of goal and that was an issue for us last season. Though hopefully he can improve on that, while also making our attack more dangerous as a whole.
I'm quite interested to see how this will work out. Rashford, Garnacho, and Højlund are decent to good goalscorers when giving scorable opportunities, but those were rare last season. One of Zirkzee's qualities at Bologna appears to have been contributing to creating those opportunities, so that could be a big gain towards scoring a lot more.

But then if Zirkzee is on the pitch, where does that leave Bruno and/or Højlund? And whatever the solution, will it work with last year's midfield gap? Or will that be gone with the new CBs and DM (assuming at least one of each comes in) and higher positioning?

It's interesting to see where all this will lead.

Is it just me or does that pic in front of too small a backdrop seem a bit cheesy for a club as big as this?

Anyhoo...welcome King Zirkzee!!
Just glad it’s simple.

Get him to the stadium.
Sign here
Take a photo with the shirt.

none of these dramatic reveals playing the piano. Simple. Straight fwd

the job cuts are real!

It'll be interesting to see how ETH uses him, I don't know much about him but everything I've seen suggests lots of quality and potential, but he doesn't sound like a striker that plays up front by himself and if he plays off Hojlund, doesn't that mean he drops a bit deeper into Bruno territory?

Cannot believe I've read people here comparing this lad to Antony.

He might end up not being what we need, he might end up underperforming for his potential. He might end up failing for some other reason but it won't be because of lack of skill and technical ability.

He's a really exciting prospect and if we had a top level manager like Klopp or something then I would be thinking he can go to another level with the right development and be one of the very best.

Hojlund and Zirkcee aren’t that inspiring to be leading our line up front next season but I’m hoping I can be proved wrong

I'm so jaded about our transfer business that this didn't get more than a shrug and a "probably going to flop" when a friend told me we had signed him. Really hope he doesn't flop though, we could need a surprise success in the transfer market.

To be honest same here. It’s nothing personal against the lad, just that we’ve had so many signings that haven’t worked out in the last decade. I don’t get too excited any more until we’ve seen then play for us. Hopefully with the new regime, he is a step in the right direction.

Very curious to see how we'll line up with him. I guess he and Hojlund will share the striker spot? Should be interesting to see them battle it out

I'm curious if there's a chance of a sheet that includes Bruno, Zirkzee and Højlund could work, for the times when we're desperate for a goal. Obvious concerns or even exceptions against strong counter-attacking teams, aside.

I’m quite pleased with this signing and optimistic that he can take his game up to the next level with this challenge. This is the kind of signing that I feel we used to make in regards that is an it a player with potential still looking to hit their top level.

In regards to his skill set i think the lack of 20 goals seasons doesn’t reflect what he contributes to the system. As some of those legends have highlighted he has attributes of a complete forward in that he can dribble, play in wide areas comfortably, takes up good positions in build up and aerially. But most importantly for us good with his back to goal. I think with a pivot who can hold the ball and allow us to advance up the field our play will evolve.

I first saw him for the Dutch under 17 where he scored a variety of goals, mainly dribbling past opponents, but he seems to be cuter now in when he uses his team mates and aids the team. I’m hoping he can link well with pass and move players like Amad, Rashford, Mount and even Sancho and Antony. If we can find his feet he can turn and bring those wised players into the game quickly too hopefully.

My one concern is that on the ball he has a somewhat languid style that reminds me a little bit of Berbatov only his technique isn't as good as Berba's. But then the stats show that he was the best presser in Serie A last season so that's encouraging.

Hojlund and Zirkcee aren’t that inspiring to be leading our line up front next season but I’m hoping I can be proved wrong
everyone said the same about Firmino when he was doing it at Liverpool

Only 4 pages for a new signing? I think Sancho had about 20 pages after he was officially announced for an hour or two

The difference it makes having actual football people running the show. It’s absolutely infuriating the obscene amounts that of money we’ve squandered in the last decade because we left transfer business in the hands of bumbling fecking bankers that lack a clue on how the football world operates. To think where we’d be now if all this happened years earlier.

fecking hell, I'm all for austerity, but this poor lad will starve in Manchester

The difference it makes having actual football people running the show. It’s absolutely infuriating the obscene amounts that of money we’ve squandered in the last decade because we left transfer business in the hands of bumbling fecking bankers that lack a clue on how the football world operates. To think where we’d be now if all this happened years earlier.

That's ridiculous. Running the club that way.

I think the lack of hype and expectations will do the lad some good. I'm excited to see what he brings.

100%

Also having a relatively small transfer fee* takes away the first stick pundits and fans could use to beat him with the second he has a poor 5 mins.

(*I'm sure the usual suspects will include his agents fees to try and ramp it up)

Last edited:

It's net wages. There is no way he will be on 56k per week.

I think it's a fecking disgrace, you are promised Disneyland and then you land on a mere 56k pounds a week.

I don't think it's right to be on such a low wage comparatively. Other players might be able to "pay him off" to pass to them over others.

Yeah I imagine it’ll be heavily incentivised as footballers wages should be.

The wages was picked from Italian paper, they always talk in net wages. Some genius on twitter posted the screenshot and converted it to per week completely ignoring that its net wages.

If the initial report is correct then he will be on 100-115k per week.

The wages was picked from Italian paper, they always talk in net wages. Some genius on twitter posted the screenshot and converted it to per week completely ignoring that its net wages.

If the initial report is correct then he will be on 100-115k per week.

Yes, should be net. But 100k a week is quite good as well and not crazy, considering the price tag and that he is a Dutch international.