Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I'd rather have just kept Weghorst instead of signing this fraud.

At least Weghorst had top class workrate.

He should read this thread to boost his confidence.
No kidding. Some people need reminding that very very few players have come into the PL and hit the ground running the first season. I'm just happy we have some competition for Hojlund instead of a player who is always injured. That's worth something.

I think he's looked a really clever player at times, so I'm trying to cling on to that, but there's really not been a lot to go with it and it really isn't enough on its own.

Only played 400 mins or something. Still early days.

Not the profile we needed this summer.. An out and out number 9 was what we needed, someone to compete and cover for Hojlund. Zirzkee is more a 10, and we all know he's never replacing Bruno.

Not the profile we needed this summer.. An out and out number 9 was what we needed, someone to compete and cover for Hojlund. Zirzkee is more a 10, and we all know he's never replacing Bruno.

I won't lie and say I've watched him play much but I certainly have questions whether we took a look at the lad Dortmund brought for 15 million. 30 goals in 30 games last season and now 7 goals in 7 games since his move.

I can't believe the amount of impatience and negative comments towards Zirkzee after today's game.

"He's a striker, so he should score goals."

"Game's too fast for him."

"I'd rather have Weghorst."

He's barely 2 months into transitioning to play in the fastest, most physical league in the world, within what has been for the past 2 months a largely dysfuncitonal attacking unit, not to mention being 23, so still developing as a player (keeping in mind not every player develops at the same rates/ages).

Give him time. Give him patience. Let him learn and grow and adapt - expecting him to hit the ground running from day one and be banging in goals and linking up with Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho (all 3 of whom have been criticised for the deficiencies in link-up play) is like expecting to move into a brand new house and feel 100% at home with great relationships with your neighbours 2 months after moving into a brand new country.

A small proportion of players can make that transition so quickly. Most take longer.

I'm still pretty optimistic about this guy. I just don't think he should be competing with Hojlund. I think he should be competing with Bruno as our 10.
Do you honesty think he would cover half the km’s Bruno does in 90 mins ?

I think he's one of these players who's a lot better than he's showing, but there's no doubt that he's finding the step up to PL very steep at the moment.

We don't have the luxury of bringing him on in a game where we're 3 or 4 up and he can make mistakes and give the ball away without much consequence. All our games are struggles at the moment, which is not the best environment to bed someone into the team.

He's not a number 9. Bringing him on for Hojlund to "see out" a game is counterproductive because he drops deeper than Hojlund and doesn't engage defenders as much as Hojlund, so their defenders can step up and gain a foothold higher up the pitch and put us under pressure.

He's not great, is he? Luckily he was fairly cheap all things considered.
Yeah, worth remembering. He only needs to become a handy squad player to have been a decent buy. He will need to improve to do that obviously but it's a lower bar than our pricier signings are correctly expected to clear.

I think it's pretty clear he was bought in case Bruno left in the summer.

I think he’s technically a very clever player but the EPL is too fast for him, he’s not getting 7/8 PL goals let alone 15/16 we need to work on his fitness and he needs a sprint coach, he looks incredibly slow for a Dutch international or a Man United Player.

A top Club like United Should have 3 Top CFw’s with one of them being an elder statesman like Danny Wellbeck.

In an Ideal world they would get you 25-35 EPL goals bewteen them, currently I see our two CFWs maybe getting 15-18 maximum so we need to add one more in January

He's not great, is he? Luckily he was fairly cheap all things considered.
For £15m more we could have got Benjamin Sesco and I’m sure he would be far more productive in terms of pure goals and assists?

Maybe he will be a decent backup player at best? Hoping under a better manager he will come good.

Worst case scenario is that we cut our loses and luckily it won't be a big loss as we thankfully didn't pay an astronomical fee (saved by the released clause) like we usually do...

He doesn't possesses the work rate to play in Bruno's position.
I had never seen him play before his move here but I could have sworn that people said he was excellent at pressing in Italy. I haven't seen much evidence of that if it's true.

He is not a striker that will brings us that goal. He can play as a second striker behind a profilic striker but Hoijund isn't the one. Ineos has made a mistake not getting an out and out striker. As for Zirkzee, he resale value will drop as he is not used correctly. Forget about buying low and selling high as I just don't see this working out.

I'd rather have just kept Weghorst instead of signing this fraud.

At least Weghorst had top class workrate.

No striker will thrive with the greedy cnuts that play either side of the striker.

Did Garnacho manage double figures for shots yesterday? Had to have been close. Rashford felt a bit left out towards the end, also, and started taking his par-for-the-course dogshit shots too.

He lost confidence extremely quickly. Looked very sharp in his overall play the first few games, now is pretty much useless, heavy and slow out there.

No striker will thrive with the greedy cnuts that play either side of the striker.

Did Garnacho manage double figures for shots yesterday? Had to have been close. Rashford felt a bit left out towards the end, also, and started taking his par-for-the-course dogshit shots too.

His ineptitude so far has nothing to do with greedy wingers, he's missed around 6 or 7 gilt edged chances already this season.

He already looks a player who really needs a goal to boost his confidence

lost possession twice as soon as he came on and seemed to struggle to get to pace of game.

Every game he seems to get at least one good opportunity

just needs to get the ball rolling and hopefully we see a more effective player

In his defence, i wonder who sanctioned the deal when his style of play is the opposite of what United seemingly want to play.

He said himself he isn't a striker, but we are still playing him as one. Not sure how he is supposed to succeed

He might look half decent in a possession based team who can patiently knock the ball around in the opposition’s third. We’re not anything like that. A lot of our attacks come from countering, which doesn’t yet suit his game because he too slow to find the right position.

Can’t compare his shooting ability etc with Garnacho. Zirkzee is no better than Wehorst in and around the box, possibly due to confidence or maybe an inability to adapt to this level and intensity. Garnacho is an assertive player who always tries to do something progressive, attacking, creative etc. He makes mistakes for sure, and some days things don’t work out for him. But he never shies from the ball and he’s always willing to have a go. He backs himself to make things happen, not through arrogance, but through self belief. I’d have Garnacho all day long. Can’t say the same for Zirkzee.

I can't believe the amount of impatience and negative comments towards Zirkzee after today's game.

"He's a striker, so he should score goals."

"Game's too fast for him."

"I'd rather have Weghorst."

He's barely 2 months into transitioning to play in the fastest, most physical league in the world, within what has been for the past 2 months a largely dysfuncitonal attacking unit, not to mention being 23, so still developing as a player (keeping in mind not every player develops at the same rates/ages).

Give him time. Give him patience. Let him learn and grow and adapt - expecting him to hit the ground running from day one and be banging in goals and linking up with Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho (all 3 of whom have been criticised for the deficiencies in link-up play) is like expecting to move into a brand new house and feel 100% at home with great relationships with your neighbours 2 months after moving into a brand new country.

A small proportion of players can make that transition so quickly. Most take longer.

A sensible post in a sea of shit posts. Wow.

No kidding. Some people need reminding that very very few players have come into the PL and hit the ground running the first season. I'm just happy we have some competition for Hojlund instead of a player who is always injured. That's worth something.
Never understood the need to slag players off, especially not after just a few games.

Same with Hojlund, who actually did hit the ground running coming from Serie A.

He might look half decent in a possession based team who can patiently knock the ball around in the opposition’s third. We’re not anything like that. A lot of our attacks come from countering, which doesn’t yet suit his game because he too slow to find the right position.

Can’t compare his shooting ability etc with Garnacho. Zirkzee is no better than Wehorst in and around the box, possibly due to confidence or maybe an inability to adapt to this level and intensity. Garnacho is an assertive player who always tries to do something progressive, attacking, creative etc. He makes mistakes for sure, and some days things don’t work out for him. But he never shies from the ball and he’s always willing to have a go. He backs himself to make things happen, not through arrogance, but through self belief. I’d have Garnacho all day long. Can’t say the same for Zirkzee.
Garnacho is single handedly responsible for us missing out on at least a handful of open scoring chances this season for the same reason - what you call self belief, I call selfishness. He has a lot to learn as well, so let’s give Zirkzee a little time to settle in, shall we?

Another #10 and to make matters worse, he's still playing at Serie A pace. On the bright side, we can recoup what we paid from Milan next summer.