Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
What? Whats the issue with playing him behind another striker?

I think it would be like playing Firmino behind a striker, you probably could but you lose the whole point of playing a false 9. I think it makes more sense from a structure perspective to drop Bruno and play a mid 3 of Eriksen/Mount, Kobbie and Ugarte as twos 8 and 6.

Your' e stuck on numbers and positions when I'm talking about skillset... I know what I want to see. Football is so rigid with you guys sometimes....
:lol:. Please do explain how that formation with skillset works? So, players don't have positions in your modern football world? Dalot is not right full back in fact, he is left winger/playmaker/ defender?

Or to put it another way, you could try him as the 10 if you had another striker who plays the way Zirkzee does to play off. He would have Hojlund who wants to run in behind and has very limited ability with back to goal.
Well but what's the point of that?
First of all this game it's not like he missed any big chances, he had some shots and set up others a couple of times. I'm not sure if there's anything to moan about. Did he have a bad game now that we want to shift him?

Secondly, attacking midfielder needs to be involved in build up play but also do his share of running around off the ball. Strikers don't get moved around like that.

Hojlund is a very specific type of striker, what I always thought to be a problem which is multiplicated by Rashford and Bruno who also enforce specific football style if they are in the center of things. Last 3 games (including first half today) Bruno was not in the center of things and we played the best football we've played in a while. Hojlund was also not there. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think it would be like playing Firmino behind a striker, you probably could but you lose the whole point of playing a false 9. I think it makes more sense from a structure perspective to drop Bruno and play a mid 3 of Eriksen/Mount, Kobbie and Ugarte as twos 8 and 6.
Well I said play him with one until he finds his scoring boots, so I was only talkin about a temporary thing. Have him in the team because its clear he makes us better, but he's not the goal scorer yet is he? It's not even like ETH is adverse to playing like that in games as we've already seen....

If it don't work bin it

Well I said play him with one until he finds his scoring boots, so I was only talkin about a temporary thing. Have him in the team because its clear he makes us better, but he's not the goal scorer yet is he? It's not even like ETH is adverse to playing like that in games as we've already seen....

If it don't work bin it

I hear you but I'd give that a pass, he's a striker, just no point trying to shoe horn him in at 10 when we can play Mount or Eriksen there in Bruno's absence. I think he's doing well though, just needs to get a couple more goals.

His hold up play was missed when he went off.

But losing Amad and Eriksen also affected the build up play.

The team is far nicer on the eye with Zirkzee in the team.

he's a talented player but, like Firmino, you need really productive players around him

Was he tiring or something? Can't say I noticed that myself...

Some of his link up play is very good. Not a killer though which is why he needs to play with a striker

Promising. Plenty of off moments in the first half, but I think he's still adapting to the league and getting on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. We died as a force up at the very top end of the pitch when he came off, and that's not a coincedence.

It's true that the team was much better when he was on, but its also true that he needed to be subbed. He has nice touches and link up play but as predicted, having a false 9 for a team that doesn't score much or convert chances is not a good fit.

Play him in Bruno's position and we do so much better! He's very good at making us tick, playing quick passes and get the ball to players in very good positions

Still not sure why he came off? He was great today, very Firmino-esque performance. Bruno should have come off and he should have played behind Hojlund.

Well but what's the point of that?
First of all this game it's not like he missed any big chances, he had some shots and set up others a couple of times. I'm not sure if there's anything to moan about. Did he have a bad game now that we want to shift him?

Secondly, attacking midfielder needs to be involved in build up play but also do his share of running around off the ball. Strikers don't get moved around like that.

Hojlund is a very specific type of striker, what I always thought to be a problem which is multiplicated by Rashford and Bruno who also enforce specific football style if they are in the center of things. Last 3 games (including first half today) Bruno was not in the center of things and we played the best football we've played in a while. Hojlund was also not there. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Not at all, I really like what he brings to the team, in the position he plays. A CF with a strong physical profile but also one who is technically adept enough to link the play and provide additional creativity, those were qualities severely lacking in the front 3 played last year, it was so one note.

I just have reservations with the idea that he could be moved deeper and be as effective, as a you say playing attacking midfield is a much different role.

Very comfortable through his interplay and better in deep areas. Not really a 9 but I think there's a place for him in the starting XI.

he's a talented player but, like Firmino, you need really productive players around him
Yeah, I'm not really convinced of him scoring big numbers himself. Could see him being very good despite that though. Probably a good option if you can get Rashford and Garnacho scoring. Not sure Amad is going to score big numbers either and i like him a lot too but think you probably have to sacrifice one a lot of the time. Early days though, not a million miles away from picking up a couple more goals so could easily prove me wrong.

He was really good today. Should have left the pitch with at least an assist! However he’s clearly not clinical. That header certainly lacked conviction and for a guy his size he could improve that!

He linked the play well, but he’s got 1 goal in 6 appearances. He needs to offer more as a 9 for United.

If you could combine him and Hojlund you’d have a hell of a player.

We absolutely need a playmaker and someone to bring others into play. If not we are just launching it forward which results in chaos and zero control. Yes, Hojlund is more clinical. But we produce much more chances with Zirkzee.

Am not sure him and Hojlund can play together though. And that is fine, we need different options from the bench. Whoever tracked Zirkzee and brought him here deserves plaudits.

He linked the play well, but he’s got 1 goal in 6 appearances. He needs to offer more as a 9 for United.

If you could combine him and Hojlund you’d have a hell of a player.

his finishes are too Berbatov-eque (in Berba's worst days for us). Love shooting softly straight at the keeper too much

He’s not a finisher. We need an out and out goalscorer. We are going to seriously struggle with goals again this season I reckon
No we don't. He's going to create for the flanks to score, much like martial did for rashford and greenwood in that season.

Hojlund is completely out of place for the style this squad will thrive on.

Zirkzee should be an automatic starter every game

That Bruno chance where he hits it with the outside of the foot would’ve been a great goal
Was such good play from Zirkzee there! I don’t feel like we play it into his feet enough.

He changes the way we attack, quick intricate 1-2s when he’s around.

Should never have been subbed off. What he lacks in terms of scoring threat, he makes up with intelligent plays in tight spaces.

100% agreed. Game changed when he came off. Should have been Rasmus for one of Garnacho/Amad, with Rasmus coming in from the flanks.

Very intelligent player, very different from usual strikers, he definitely should be starting moving forward.

Very comfortable through his interplay and better in deep areas. Not really a 9 but I think there's a place for him in the starting XI.

Don't think he's mobile enough to play any other position.

Think we have to accept for now the wingers need to be the goalscorers. Which is fine as that's the type of players they are anyway.

Completely destroyed our momentum as soon as he was subbed off, his game really helps our build up in attack and less reliant on solo efforts. He’s quickly become one of our important attacking players.

Don't think he's mobile enough to play any other position.

Think we have to accept for now the wingers need to be the goalscorers. Which is fine as that's the type of players they are anyway.

Seems to be the way of modern football. Most goals are coming from wide players and the central attacker’s job is to link play and create (Kane and Haaland being throwback exceptions)

This is what I'm feeling. I imagine that we'll play our best football with him on the pitch, but we need the players around him (including him) to be much more clinical that they are.

He played quite well and was unfortunate not to add a couple of assists to his game. His link up play was amazing. However, if he plays as a false 9, then we should have Garna and Rashford on the sides. However, I think he will be more affective when we pair him with another striker.