Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's move on, obviously United is now alot smarter. We targeted a forward and CB as our first priority and we got them. CDM/MF is our 3rd choice and we will not go all crazy to sign anyone at all cost. We might sign someone at a lower price or promote one of our young players to XI. We are building a team for the future and with limited funds, we just got to be patient. This is a 3 years project and I truly believe we are in a better place now.
Only two signings and have spent 110m, and actively pursuing another 40m CB, plus another DM rated 40-50m.

THat doesn't sound like a limited funds for majority of teams in the world. Even for the big ones.

Very surprised we aren’t all over this for the price he’s going at. Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo went for a lot more and he’s arguably better… hopefully psg are desperate to sell Ugarte now for cheaper than what they wanted.
And how that's worked out for Chelsea?

70M for a 19 year old with only one season under him in the Portuguese league seems pretty reasonable. If PSG it's including players then the number is closer to a 100M which is madness.

Only two signings and have spent 110m, and actively pursuing another 40m CB, plus another DM rated 40-50m.

THat doesn't sound like a limited funds for majority of teams in the world. Even for the big ones.
Isn’t it 35m plus 42m (going up to 52m)? How did you get to 110m? We have a lot of positions to cover this summer - I understand the club not wanting to exceed 50m odd on individual transfers. This one seems to be 55m pounds plus players they’re proposing to exchange so it might equate to 75m plus. Besides we might not rate him as a good fit to compliment Mainoo or might have enquired and not a good response.

Isn’t it 35m plus 42m (going up to 52m)? How did you get to 110m? We have a lot of positions to cover this summer - I understand the club not wanting to exceed 50m odd on individual transfers. This one seems to be 55m pounds plus players they’re proposing to exchange so it might equate to 75m plus. Besides we might not rate him as a good fit to compliment Mainoo or might have enquired and not a good response.
Yoro plus Zirkzee is ~110m already.

Yoro plus Zirkzee is ~110m already.

It's about £88m + add-ons. We have Also sold players worth £33.5m + add-ons. The net spend is still in the £55m range. Close to the £50m summer transfer budget spouted by the press.

We have no idea what was included in that package, plus we were the top dogs (highest bidders); we're not going to outbid PSG.

The thing is, Renato is a midfielder - even if he's nowhere near Neves' quality, he comes in and serves a purpose whilst they get their house in order, plus he's young enough for them to sell on in the future. Lindelof is 30 and still leaves them needing a midfielder plus he's on higher wages.
Renato is perma injured

Let’s take into account Fernandez being 4 years older. He got his big move at like 22. Neves is about to get a big move at 19.
Did you see Enzo at River Plate with 19??
Did you see Félix at Benfica? At.Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona?
It's not about the move, it's what you actually play and what you can improve.
My opinion about Neves, i already gave it at this forum, good player, very mature for his age but i don't see a gem - that raw quality that can be worked.
He is just 19 but i see a finished player, like i saw Moutinho or Hugo Viana at the same age.
I remember seeing BFernandes in the youth national team, and thinking what a great potencial. He was bad at a few things, worse than Neves right now, but you just knew he would become a star, because he was great in a lot of things. Neves, there's nothing that he is bad at and there is nothing that he is great at.
I cleary remember what peolple talked about Tielemans, when he was young and the player that he became.
Time will tell who's right.

Last edited:
I've been puzzled by how active this thread is really, given how little we're actually linked to him. It's not really seemed on for ages? A lot of wishful thinking and blind hope.
I'm puzzled how a supposed generational talent hardly gets a look in at the Euros :o

I'm puzzled how a supposed generational talent hardly gets a look in at the Euros :o
Martinez was and is one of the most incompetent coaches at international level. It's like asking why Wharton got no minutes for England, despite having a skillset the team was screaming out for the entire tournament.

Such people have no idea what they're doing and should never have the duty of nurturing and utilising young talent because they have no idea what they're doing and will more likely cause more harm than good (see Southgate destroying Sancho and potentially ruining a host of other young players sending them on to take penalties cold, as he did).

If that 'destroyed' Sancho, then all it shows is that Sancho was never cut out to be a top player.
That's always a possibility when doing something so stupid to a young and potentially fragile, malleable mind. They should not be placed in an environment where that can occur in such circumstances in the first place, which points towards the gross incompetence and mismanagement of the person putting them in that predicament in the first place.

Views on Sancho are irrelevant.

I strongly feel we are missing a trick by not being more aggressive with this guy. He is the complete package and we are seemingly just letting him waltz into the hands of PSG without so much as putting up a fight. I understand that we are trying to be more financially responsible and not cave into just any demands but when the talent level of a player demands it, it is still worth doing and Benfica's demands are not nearly as onerous as I thought it might be. €70m upfront for a talent like Neves is reasonable. Yes it may mean we won't be able to sign anyone else for a while without selling but i'm okay with that for a player of the talent of Neves.

Yes true but I think it's fair to say we need a huge amount of transfers in both directions in this window and next summer, and so we can't spend big on any one player, and we need to be careful and strategic with our buys.

I will be happy if we only get Neves as incoming for the rest of the transfer window. Yes, it's not enough but it would be a tremendous start to the INEOS rebuild, getting the best young CB, the best young CM and one of the hot young forwards in Europe.

This season we won't be competing for titles, perhaps a cup run but mostly it is about getting to CL next year, so there is no need to stock on a bunch of players like Mazraoui who are minor improvement and miss on someone like Neves if we haven even a small chance.
Sell whoever we can sell and try to go for this guy.

Neves is gone, we simply do not have the funds to match PSG financials and pay upfront.

PSG are a basket case of a club, all it takes is for Luis Enruiqe to leave and things can change playerwise in an instant. Enrique asked for Ramos and Mouani last summer, now both forwards are surplus to requirements so they can complete a deal for oshiem from napoli.

Fabien Ruiz is a ridiculously talented player, but enrique only started him 20 times last season. Most appearance were off the bench. Just mental.

which is why im not too bothered about missing out on Neves this summer. we will get another chance with him in the future.

We most definitely have the money, since we are considering buying Ugarte for around 50M. Makes the Mount transfer at 60M even more criminal now.

In absolute terms we maybe have but as I said earlier in the thread if the end goal if to keep expenditures for a DM at 40-50m and possibly a CB at 30-40, hijacking a deal by offering 70-75 doesn't get us nearer to our objective (getting our targets at a decent price). For a single player of a different profile than Ugarte, too (and younger so in a way riskier).

We most definitely have the money, since we are considering buying Ugarte for around 50M. Makes the Mount transfer at 60M even more criminal now.

Yeah could have gone all in for him now IF we had have passed on Mount last summer for £55m

That's always a possibility when doing something so stupid to a young and potentially fragile, malleable mind. They should not be placed in an environment where that can occur in such circumstances in the first place, which points towards the gross incompetence and mismanagement of the person putting them in that predicament in the first place.

Views on Sancho are irrelevant.
Mismanagement, perhaps. 'Destroying' the player beyond recovery for the next three years and counting? No.

I will be happy if we only get Neves as incoming for the rest of the transfer window. Yes, it's not enough but it would be a tremendous start to the INEOS rebuild, getting the best young CB, the best young CM and one of the hot young forwards in Europe.

This season we won't be competing for titles, perhaps a cup run but mostly it is about getting to CL next year, so there is no need to stock on a bunch of players like Mazraoui who are minor improvement and miss on someone like Neves if we haven even a small chance.
Sell whoever we can sell and try to go for this guy.

Yeah completely agree with you but finances just aren't going to allow it unfortunately. Can only hope we can somehow lure him again in the future

Yeah pathetic. The whole 'well that's his career permanently down the pan then'. As if that's a perfectly normal conclusion to that particular situation.
That’s your conclusion, seemingly you think dots to decline don’t have a starting point. The crux is it shouldn’t have happened in the first place, then there is no catalyst.

That’s your conclusion, seemingly you think dots to decline don’t have a starting point. The crux is it shouldn’t have happened in the first place, then there is no catalyst.
No, I just think something so trivial shouldn't permanently break a player. Saka hasn't crumbled and that's because he is everything Sancho isn't.

In absolute terms we maybe have but as I said earlier in the thread if the end goal if to keep expenditures for a DM at 40-50m and possibly a CB at 30-40, hijacking a deal by offering 70-75 doesn't get us nearer to our objective (getting our targets at a decent price). For a single player of a different profile than Ugarte, too (and younger so in a way riskier).
Its 70M euros, which is 59M pounds. Its 3M more than what we got Mount for(base price without addons)

Its 70M euros, which is 59M pounds. Its 3M more than what we got Mount for(base price without addons)

The latest rumors are that it is 70m€ + Renato Sanches (5-7m€ in value ?) and add-ons. It's probably 80m€ to sit at that table, all the more if it is really true PSG guarantees a faster lump sum payment.

I see people bring up Mount a lot here... I can't disagree that money spent in the past is money not available to pay in the present but it was last summer.

Does MU have 80m to spend this summer ? Probably. Do we have 80m on top on whatever signings are apparently considered (Let's assume Ugarte, De Ligt or another CB are indeed pursed for the amounts quotes in the press), especially with no further sales ? Not impossible but less likely. If the choice was mine I'd rather spread the budget on as many positions.

It's all very convenient to put Sancho's issues down to Gareth Southgate. There's far too many factors involved and removes all personal responsibility from the player. Frankly I think it's bollox.

It's not the whole and only issue and cause of course, but it clearly did damage

Status
Not open for further replies.