Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didnt want to come here he wanted to go to PSG. And Benfica were happy to take Renato Sanchez on loan as part of the deal. Who were we going to send, McTominay?

Having finished 8th in the league we were never going to be in the running against a champions league team that are going to win things
Thank to PSR United simply couldn't afford him. They've litterally paid like 70m plus a 30m Renato Sanches to get him.

Thank to PSR United simply couldn't afford him. They've litterally paid like 70m plus a 30m Renato Sanches to get him.

They have paid 50M pounds fixed + 8m addons. And Renato Sanches who is valued at 5M on transfer markt, so idk where you're getting the 30M figure.

To put it into perspective, that's less than what we paid for Mason Mount or Yoro.

They have paid 50M pounds fixed + 8m addons. And Renato Sanches who is valued at 5M on transfer markt, so idk where you're getting the 30M figure.

To put it into perspective, that's less than what we paid for Mason Mount or Yoro.
Transfermarkt has Mainoo as £46m value and Garnacho as £38m. Not exactly a reliable source for actual player values.

I do think we should have tried as hard as we did with Yoro, but I guess there wasn't enough interest.

You should look at the prices players actually go for and then see what transfermarkt had them valued at in their fantasy world. Branthwaite is valued at €42m on there…

You should look at the prices players actually go for and then see what transfermarkt had them valued at in their fantasy world. Branthwaite is valued at €42m on there…
Sanches is going to Benfica is a separate deal. So the final fee for Neves will be even less than the 60m euros + 10m euros in reality

Sanches is going to Benfica is a separate deal. So the final fee for Neves will be even less than the 60m euros + 10m euros in reality
Mendes being involved blurs the lines of a normal transfer; it’s a bespoke deal between he and clients he farms talent between who have a fantastic club-club relationship.

Yeah they usually undervalue a bit, but even then its a rough reference. PSG got him for ~12M. His price is 10M at best, and last I checked he's joining Benfica on loan.

There is no reason we cant have stuck a deal with Mendes, as we have a good rapport with him too.

Last edited:
50M + someone like Mejbri going the other way could have worked too. Think we will regret not buying him, particularly since we are buying Ugarte for basically the same price, and if he fails to impress.

How come he’s going for so cheap yet us English teams get quoted like 100m. Surely they’d be more suitors for that price.

Yeah they usually undervalue a bit, but even then its a rough reference. PSG got him for ~12M. His price is 10M at best, and last I checked he's joining Benfica on loan.

There is no reason we cant have stuck a deal with Mendes, as we have a good rapport with him too.
A better rapport than a state-owned club... ?

Be realistic. It is not apples vs apples here

A better rapport than a state-owned club... ?

Be realistic. It is not apples vs apples here

Sure, but then nobody would ever be able to beat PSG to transfers, and that's just not true. We simply did not prioritise this signing, since we do have money to spend. Time will tell if we made the correct decision, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if we were in for Neves, he would have chosen us over PSG. And I will also say that we will regret spending 55+5M on Mount rather than on a talent like Neves. Lets see.

My 70m figure is the approximate fee in. Euros. As for Transfer market can say what they like. Renato Sanches isn't worth just 5m as a player. Of that I'm certain.

Literally any other team, Athletico, City, Liverpool, United, Bayern, Juve, Chelsea, Arsenal
None of them teams want him for one reason, they obviously do not think he is a generational talent like some on here do, simple as that really.

Or they simply lack the cash.
Two crazy concepts:

- they mostly have a lot of talent in the area of the pitch he plays, plus have their own coming through to nurture and develop

- With what Benfica want (lump sum, plus with Mendes all sorts of conditions set up for the future (maintenance of an already rock solid "understanding") that they have no means of interjecting) knowing it's going to take them more to prise the same player.

This is not a case of one boot fits all - with Mendes involved it's Cinderella written by Stephen King.

We could have sent both Tominay and Mount to them
Because a top-earning, exclusive to top clubs by repute player is going to rock up to Portuguese football with open arms?

You literally couldn't pay Mount to go to Portugal. Even McTominay would be hard-pressed going there, unless he fancied it for the lifestyle and experience (supposedly he's not opposed to going to Turkey).

These counter suggestions aren't remotely realistic. We don't have a smooth passageway to sending players to Benfica to smooth out a deal.

City, Chelsea, Bayern lack cash?
City have Rodri and are stacked in midfield. Why would they buy him? Chelsea already have their midfield sorted in Enzo and Caicedo + Lavia as backup for their double pivot. Bayern just bought Palhinha for the same position and have also spent a decent amount on Olise and are looking to strengthen with Desire Doue in attack.

You can't just name any CL team and ask why he didn't go there instead of PSG. These teams don't need to fill that position. Or they don't have the money for it. Benfica demanded lump sum and most clubs don't negotiate incoming transfers like that because it messes with their finances and ability to operate in the transfer window.

Reactions: Fortitude
City have Rodri and are stacked in midfield. Why would they buy him? Chelsea already have their midfield sorted in Enzo and Caicedo + Lavia as backup for their double pivot. Bayern just bought Palhinha for the same position and have also spent a decent amount on Olise and are looking to strengthen with Desire Doue in attack.

You can't just name any CL team and ask why he didn't go there instead of PSG. These teams don't need to fill that position. Or they don't have the money for it. Benfica demanded lump sum and most clubs don't negotiate incoming transfers like that because it messes with their finances and ability to operate in the transfer window.
Because KDB is on the way out, same with Silva, so they have Rodri and.......no one in their midfield come 18 months.

I get the money, I get why PSG could get him and did, it's more his decision.

So is the premier league now. Guess whos going to win it again this season. City as always.

Farmers League doesn’t mean the same team always wins, does it?

I thought it meant that most of the teams were poor quality, which is definitely not the case in the PL.

Perhaps my understanding of Farmers League is wrong, though.

Because KDB is on the way out, same with Silva, so they have Rodri and.......no one in their midfield come 18 months.

I get the money, I get why PSG could get him and did, it's more his decision.
Do you think, of alllllll the managers in the entirety of this world, it will be Guardiola without a plan and contingency for midfield….?

A man who will and has forgone forwards for midfielders and still won the league?

Neves is also not a replacement for either of those players. They would play alongside him, not in lieu.

We could have sent both Tominay and Mount to them
While those two are not realistic, we could have sent Mejbri/Pellistri, its not like we lack players we need to get rid of either.

Buying a backup to Bruno who literally plays all games at 60M, and then not getting Neves at 50M is a blunder.

Even more so, now that it seems PSG are gonna rinse us and recoup that 50M for their surplus midfielder they want to discard.

While those two are not realistic, we could have sent Mejbri/Pellistri, its not like we lack players we need to get rid of either.

Buying a backup to Bruno who literally plays all games at 60M, and then not getting Neves at 50M is a blunder.

Even more so, now that it seems PSG are gonna rinse us and recoup that 50M for their surplus midfielder they want to discard.
We already sent the Fernandez at a good price, so it's not like they needed a deal sweetner. I think it will come down to the payment of the fee, looking at the fact we're giving Mazraoui a 5 year deal, we will need to spread payments out.

I am bitterly disappointed we didn't find a solution to get him in.

Do you think, of alllllll the managers in the entirety of this world, it will be Guardiola without a plan and contingency for midfield….?

A man who will and has forgone forwards for midfielders and still won the league?

Neves is also not a replacement for either of those players. They would play alongside him, not in lieu.
No, but I think they would have fancied a player like Neves.

City will have either their own gem or something special lined up that none of the others saw coming. Right now, they don’t need Neves, and by the time they do refresh, they’ll have the optimal player lined up.
I am sure. I still dislike PSG and anyone who picks the club.

I am sure. I still dislike PSG and anyone who picks the club.

PSG tends to be a graveyard especially for young players. Wrong choice imo
Well, ironically, if PSG ever want to become a true force the prodigious talent taken in on their first big pro contract is the easiest and quickest route to the promised land, and if they do it right, also can come with an unrelentingly fierce loyalty to the club, which could see the young charges want to play out a career there.

If I was a strategist at their club, I’d do everything in my power to disrupt the conveyor belt of elite young talent to clubs like Madrid, ourselves, Dortmund and whoever else is famed for procuring and developing youngsters currently.

Those kids and their families are the easiest swayed, most malleable and simply ill-prepared for the bright lights, reliant on agents and good will. Wooing them is easier than seasoned pros or those who have already become millionaires.

The downside is it’s more of a crapshoot and some youngsters won’t develop as hoped, but those that do are four-fold jackpots who beget more elite talent in the future. Before you know it, you become a place youngsters desperately want to go to and are no longer a pariah or in need of doing anything extra to be a front runner for the best of the best youngsters in the world.

It’s an easy and viable strategy. PSG could become a big and disruptive player in the market in this manner, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.