Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
€70m plus Sanches.....guess he's rated at 50m then??

€70m plus Antony....would that get the deal done???

It’s odd that PSG want to flip us Ugarte for more than they are getting Neves! Makes no sense. Under old management, maybe we do the deal but don’t expect the new execs to fall for this

It’s odd that PSG want to flip us Ugarte for more than they are getting Neves! Makes no sense. Under old management, maybe we do the deal but don’t expect the new execs to fall for this
It's not €70m, they're including a player that Benfica want.

It really bugs me that PSG are getting this done for 60M pounds. Are we really that broke?

From what I read on this deal, we definitely admired and wanted Neves but for a deal structured in instalments, in order to retain funds for our remaining deals - Benfica of course preferred PSG who are paying upfront. It's over 60M pounds as well given they're also including Renato Sanches as part of that deal (+ agent's fees).

Ugarte for now on a reasonable fee (It likely won't happen if it's not) or someone else for about 35 million pounds seems like the right way to go if we are to pay upfront. If we are able to get someone like Alan Varela on an instalment basis similar to how we approached Neves, I'd love to see that happen - otherwise I think the most prudent thing to do is to strengthen multiple weak areas over just getting a standout CDM.

United as a team are a couple of years from challenging for the highest honours, so we can work with a solid youngish player there at CDM, at least until the right deal for a superstar player comes along.

Very surprised we aren’t all over this for the price he’s going at. Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo went for a lot more and he’s arguably better… hopefully psg are desperate to sell Ugarte now for cheaper than what they wanted.

Ye PSG will need to recoup some money quickly now. Hopefully swings in our favour

Very surprised we aren’t all over this for the price he’s going at. Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo went for a lot more and he’s arguably better… hopefully psg are desperate to sell Ugarte now for cheaper than what they wanted.
Enzo had just won a world cup , Neves was strictly 2nd choice for Portugal.
The kid has alot of potential but a stretch to say he's better than Enzo atm

Enzo is more technically gifted, in my opinion. He’s capable of playing some sublime passes into the forwards. Admittedly I haven’t seen a lot of Neves, though.

This one certainly bugs me, since we were the first strongly linked team and it was always reported that Benfica would only want the €120m release clause. €70m + Renato Sanches sounds like a sum we could have offered if we had just a bit more money left. It's a combination of the poor work done by the old board plus turning ourselves to other targets. Amyway, we can't have everything and we got Yoro (whom I would have never expected us to get), they got him. Gotta move on.

Goes without saying...
Not sure... combining the player going the other way and the agents' fees, this is closer to 100m, not 60 as some seem to believe, and that's not inclusive of wages.

It's a very, very expensive package. Way beyond us.

Not sure... combining the player going the other way and the agents' fees, this is closer to 100m, not 60 as some seem to believe, and that's not inclusive of wages.

It's a very, very expensive package. Way beyond us.

Might as well add agents fees to every transfer fee then. And Renato Sanches is not worth that much money, he went to PSG for 18m euros and hardly played

Might as well add agents fees to every transfer fee then. And Renato Sanches is not worth that much money, he went to PSG for 18m euros and hardly played
Not really. They're a much bigger factor when stars move. Especially when you consider who the agent is.

Not really. They're a much bigger factor when stars move. Especially when you consider who the agent is.

But we didn't include it in the Yoro fee.... moving on.
We should be in the mix for Neves at that fee, Sanches is worth about 10m euros and we could possibly tempt Benfica with Lindelof

Enzo had just won a world cup , Neves was strictly 2nd choice for Portugal.
The kid has alot of potential but a stretch to say he's better than Enzo atm
When I’ve watched them both, neves has impressed me the most. Enzo hasn’t lived up to his price tag at Chelsea so far.

Enzo is more technically gifted, in my opinion. He’s capable of playing some sublime passes into the forwards. Admittedly I haven’t seen a lot of Neves, though.
ye he’s more technical but I think neves can control a game better. It’s the opposite for me though I hadn’t watched much of Enzo before his move to Chelsea.

I'm sure we could have rivalled that bid, 70m plus Lindelof maybe. A real shame.

It's been widely reported that Neves preferred PSG. While we do have Dalot and Bruno; PSG also have Ramos, Mendes and Vitinha who could have convinced him. Or he just preferred the idea of living in Paris and playing CL football.

The big bucks in deals like these are usually paid by the selling club. Buying clubs usually pay a relatively modest percentage of wages, same as players do. This guy isn't likely to command astronomical wages.

But we didn't include it in the Yoro fee.... moving on.
We should be in the mix for Neves at that fee, Sanches is worth about 10m euros and we could possibly tempt Benfica with Lindelof
We have no idea what was included in that package, plus we were the top dogs (highest bidders); we're not going to outbid PSG.

The thing is, Renato is a midfielder - even if he's nowhere near Neves' quality, he comes in and serves a purpose whilst they get their house in order, plus he's young enough for them to sell on in the future. Lindelof is 30 and still leaves them needing a midfielder plus he's on higher wages.

?? April fools' day??
Enzo Fernandez was the best midfield in Portugal since BrunoF.
The 3 and 4 would be Palhinha and Ugarte.
Neves at this moment, is no better than Hjulmand.
What PSG is paying is the "benfica/Mendes potencial". Aka Renato Sanches, Félix, GRamos...

The big bucks in deals like these are usually paid by the selling club. Buying clubs usually pay a relatively modest percentage of wages, same as players do. This guy isn't likely to command astronomical wages.
He's going to be one of the biggest movers of the summer, touted as the star turn of an academy that's very used to selling players on for high fees and wages with one of savviest agents in the game. He's not going there as a low earner, or even a middling one. He's a big deal. Not a superstar, of course, but someone who will command a large wage.

Unlike someone along the lines of Vitinha, he is coming with top billing, not a relatively low profile.

This deal sounding a lot more expensive than first reported. Not a lot we could do to match that.

?? April fools' day??
Enzo Fernandez was the best midfield in Portugal since BrunoF.
The 3 and 4 would be Palhinha and Ugarte.
Neves at this moment, is no better than Hjulmand.
What PSG is paying is the "benfica/Mendes potencial". Aka Renato Sanches, Félix, GRamos...
Let’s take into account Fernandez being 4 years older. He got his big move at like 22. Neves is about to get a big move at 19.

He's going to be one of the biggest movers of the summer, touted as the star turn of an academy that's very used to selling players on for high fees and wages with one of savviest agents in the game. He's not going there as a low earner, or even a middling one. He's a big deal. Not a superstar, of course, but someone who will command a large wage.

Unlike someone along the lines of Vitinha, he is coming with top billing, not a relatively low profile.

Say he gets 200k, twice that of Vitinha. 10m per year, 50m over 5 years. At 5 %, if they pay it all out at once, that's 2.5m.

Mendes will be representing Benfica, for that 10 % sale commission. That's where the money lies.

Gutted we aren't able to be involved, thanks to our clowns for wasting £170m on Mount, Antony and Van De Beek. We should have waited until this year to sign Mason on free as he was a luxury signing.

Last edited:
Say he gets 200k, twice that of Vitinha. 10m per year, 50m over 5 years. At 5 %, if they pay it all out at once, that's 2.5m.

Mendes will be representing Benfica, for that 10 % sale commission. That's where the money lies.
But I already mentioned agent fees; point of it all is it adds up to a very large total, one we're not capable of entertaining in our current predicament unless we close shutters on most other deals we seemingly have in the pipepline and go the loans and vets route.

Gutted we aren't able to be involved, thanks to our clowns for wasting £170m on Mount, Antony and Van De Beek. We should have waited until this year to sign Mason as he was a luxury signing.
Ye I still have faith in Mount. Looked sharp in pre season so far. The other 2 though, has to go down as some of worse signings we’ve ever made.

But I already mentioned agent fees; point of it all is it adds up to a very large total, one we're not capable of entertaining in our current predicament unless we close shutters on most other deals we seemingly have in the pipepline and go the loans and vets route.

Yes, and as I'm saying the agent fees will be negligible for PSG. The transfer fee and wages will be a very good approximation of the total cost.

I agree that United are unlikely to be in a position to pay that right now. I'm making a minor point about agent fees, not trying to challenge your overall view of the transfer.

For instance, you pointed out who the agent is: Mendes. An agent can only represent two of the three parties, and one of them will obviously be Neves. The other will be Benfica, because there's more money in representing the selling club than the buying club. PSG won't pay anything to Mendes directly.

Deals like Haaland and Zirkzee are very rare, usually you only see really high agent fees for the signing club when it's free transfers.

Let's move on, obviously United is now alot smarter. We targeted a forward and CB as our first priority and we got them. CDM/MF is our 3rd choice and we will not go all crazy to sign anyone at all cost. We might sign someone at a lower price or promote one of our young players to XI. We are building a team for the future and with limited funds, we just got to be patient. This is a 3 years project and I truly believe we are in a better place now.

Let's move on, obviously United is now alot smarter. We targeted a forward and CB as our first priority and we got them. CDM/MF is our 3rd choice and we will not go all crazy to sign anyone at all cost. We might sign someone at a lower price or promote one of our young players to XI. We are building a team for the future and with limited funds, we just got to be patient. This is a 3 years project and I truly believe we are in a better place now.

We need to be signing two midfielders (can't see it) and looking to promote Collyer too

Status
Not open for further replies.