Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
5”9’ is definitely not big for a midfielder. I’m not talking about just the height but his strength as well.

There’s nothing really wrong with it, he’s just 18.

He came out recently in a youtube video and said he was 6ft not 5’9.

Seemed quite annoyed at people think he was only 5’9 which was pretty funny

Here is Kobbie next to Maguire who is 194cm/ 6ft 4. Kobbie is absolutely fine for a cm
kobbie-mainoo-and-harry-maguire-w-england-v0-ib1umr6z9bpc1.jpeg

5”9’ is definitely not big for a midfielder. I’m not talking about just the height but his strength as well.

There’s nothing really wrong with it, he’s just 18.

He’s not 5’9 though.

Ah sorry, can see has already been pointed out.

Haven't really seen him play much but going off Football Manager, he'll be a Balon D'or material in 2/3 years :lol:

Get the Cheque book out!

If you could choose, would you rather spend 80m on him or Bruno G.? Neves is 5 years younger and potentially has has a higher ceiling, but Bruno would be an instant help, EPL-proven and brings experience. Both seem to be available this summer.
Most people would pick Bruno G, but CAF Neves for sure because he is younger and has a higher ceiling to their eyes. No, Bruno G is not available in the summer.

Most people would pick Bruno G, but CAF Neves for sure because he is younger and has a higher ceiling to their eyes. No, Bruno G is not available in the summer.
I personally would rather take Bruno because we need instant improvement over long term solution on that position. And I think Bruno G.'s got a release clause + NUFC have money problems, so he should be available.

I personally would rather take Bruno because we need instant improvement over long term solution on that position. And I think Bruno G.'s got a release clause + NUFC have money problems, so he should be available.
Bruno G would be very much like a Rice signing, it makes littler sense for us to sign him for that much money. Our squad is going to look completely different next season due to the amount of players leaving on a free and potentially sales. Makes total sense for someone like Arsenal, but again - as I said last season, I'd focus on a striker if I were them.

We’re in similar boat aren’t we?

Bruno G would be very much like a Rice signing, it makes littler sense for us to sign him for that much money. Our squad is going to look completely different next season due to the amount of players leaving on a free and potentially sales. Makes total sense for someone like Arsenal, but again - as I said last season, I'd focus on a striker if I were them.
We need a proper midfield before thinking about a striker. What’s the bloody point of signing a striker if we’re still going to end up overrun every game in midfield and get pinned back in our own half.

We need a proper midfield before thinking about a striker. What’s the bloody point of signing a striker if we’re still going to end up overrun every game in midfield and get pinned back in our own half.
I was referring to Arsenal. I am a fully paid up member of Neves fan club, he's my dream summer signing.

Summary from ChatGPT:

João Neves, a promising 19-year-old midfielder from Benfica, is attracting significant interest from major European clubs, with Manchester United leading the race. Neves has excelled in both domestic leagues and the Champions League, finishing as the top-performing under-19 player with an average rating of 7.18 according to WhoScored. His performances have caught the attention of clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, and PSG. Despite Benfica's desire to keep him for another season, his high-level play and a €120 million release clause make his transfer likely. Manchester United, under new ownership by Jim Ratcliffe, is particularly keen on acquiring him and is also eyeing Benfica's central defender António Silva.

Record seem to think we’ve had a £51m bid rejected for him.

Even if the bid is part of a long game to keep us at the front of the queue for him and in his thinking it could be smart. Could be a deal that ends up getting done this year. A club may not bite this summer at the price.

Interested to see how Wharton develops too over the next season or two. He looks like a brilliant holding midfielder in the making. If we can bring both players to the club over the next 3 years I’d be smiling.

We have no chance. We ain’t spending 100m on one player.

We have no chance. We ain’t spending 100m on one player.
That’s 100m euros which will further come down as it always does. Question is how big our interest is and how much of an impact we feel he can make in the next 1-2 years. Shouldn’t pay 65-70m for mere potential.

That’s 100m euros which will further come down as it always does. Question is how big our interest is and how much of an impact we feel he can make in the next 1-2 years. Shouldn’t pay 65-70m for mere potential.
I doubt they’d sell for 65/70m. Especially considering enzo Fernandes and even Caicedo both sold for over 100m.

I doubt they’d sell for 65/70m. Especially considering enzo Fernandes and even Caicedo both sold for over 100m.
Every case is different. Chelsea’s new ownership wanted to chuck money around whereas ours may not be willing to. Plus Enzo had just won best young player at a World Cup so his hype was enormous.

Sign this guy before he has a great Euros and his value increases by £30m.

Although that would be a classic United move.

Sign this guy before he has a great Euros and his value increases by £30m.

Although that would be a classic United move.
That’s what worries me. If we have any targets playing in the euros we need to snap them up now before their price increases loads.

Every case is different. Chelsea’s new ownership wanted to chuck money around whereas ours may not be willing to. Plus Enzo had just won best young player at a World Cup so his hype was enormous.
I know, I get what your saying but at the end of the day they’re going to set a price for him and if our owners don’t want to pay it then they won’t sell him. He’s probably better than Caicedo already so they’ll just look at other players going for so much and think why should we sell this guy for anything less.

Enzo was sold mid-season. It was a very hostile sale. Chelsea specifically paid the clause in January as they were scared what would happen in the summer should Benfica be more willing to negotiate terms with others.

Definitely plays more as a number 8 than a 6. The kid has good tackling though.

I would be very annoyed if we signed him and made him sit as a 6. As you said, he’s an 8. If we could sign him and do a cheap deal for Amrabat I wouldn’t complain. Even if it’s just another year extension like Spurs just did with Timo.

I know, I get what your saying but at the end of the day they’re going to set a price for him and if our owners don’t want to pay it then they won’t sell him. He’s probably better than Caicedo already so they’ll just look at other players going for so much and think why should we sell this guy for anything less.
Let’s see. I’m not sure it’s that simple. For example, let’s say they don’t get this 100m offer for a few summers. Will they just hold on to him till his value erodes? Not many clubs can pay that sum. There’s a lot of variables is what I’m saying and we shouldn’t assume this 100m fee which basically every club slaps on to every big talent these days.

Also River had a 25% sell-on clause and the transfer also involved some other percentages connected to solidary payments, which obviously affects the final value in addition to the timing and seemingly hostility towards Chelsea.

Benfica are tough negotiators and we're terrible at bargaining. Chelsea's bid for Enzo (or Neves' release clause) will be their benchmark.

You've no idea about the new regime to be fair.

I think the poster is just going by previous windows. The new regime, we don't know what it's like, we can only comment on that post transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.