Jermaine Jenas | Sacked by BBC

God no. I'm not biggest Gary Lineker fan but who wants personality vacuum Jenas as the face of anything?

Nowhere near as bad as Attenborough being replaced by Brian Cox for science though. Organisation is dead.

I'll be writing a stern email to the BBC requesting a partial refund of my license fee. Not decided on how many words will be capitalised just yet.

Got to say Im quite shocked at the woke left-wing support for Lineker on this forum, would never have guessed it of Man Utd fans.
Most football fans in the south can't stand him and two-faced opinions like waffling on about human rights in Qatar whilst comfortably picking up his pay check being over there. Likewise banging on about immigrants when he doesn't live on the south coast and see the damage they are doing to locals communities, ironic really when you think he lives in a million pound mansion and could put some of them up.
Using the word 'Nazi' in any language is just despicable and all those defending him are just as bad. He can have an opinion but he also needs to realise he's in the public eye and can't just blurt stuff out. If a Police Officer had put that on social media they would be suspended and probably fired within a week, so lets stop with the theatrics just because a 'media celeb doing football'. Its double standards and you know it.
I for one am glad he's gone, nobody needs to listen to his pisch and waffle on MOTD, I just need the highlights, thats it. Its not like there won't be people lining up to take his place eventually and if the BBC don't use presenters anymore then so be it. Its the same old garbage they spew out anyway.

this reminds me of that time I signed up to PaddyPower as they'd mispriced the Real/Barca corners market, bet two grand and got instantly banned, a new personal record of just one bet

I just couldn't help myself

Cannot take anyone that says “woke” seriously.

Why not? We've suddenly discovered that some hardline elements of the Tories who like to rant about woke lefties and cancellation motives suddenly turn out to be feeble-minded wet woke cancellers themselves, demanding Lineker's career be damaged because he has a personal opinion expressed outside his job

Got to say Im quite shocked at the woke left-wing support for Lineker on this forum, would never have guessed it of Man Utd fans.
Most football fans in the south can't stand him and two-faced opinions like waffling on about human rights in Qatar whilst comfortably picking up his pay check being over there. Likewise banging on about immigrants when he doesn't live on the south coast and see the damage they are doing to locals communities, ironic really when you think he lives in a million pound mansion and could put some of them up.
Using the word 'Nazi' in any language is just despicable and all those defending him are just as bad. He can have an opinion but he also needs to realise he's in the public eye and can't just blurt stuff out. If a Police Officer had put that on social media they would be suspended and probably fired within a week, so lets stop with the theatrics just because a 'media celeb doing football'. Its double standards and you know it.
I for one am glad he's gone, nobody needs to listen to his pisch and waffle on MOTD, I just need the highlights, thats it. Its not like there won't be people lining up to take his place eventually and if the BBC don't use presenters anymore then so be it. Its the same old garbage they spew out anyway.
WTF is this garbled mess?

I don't know if it's been mentioned already (apologies if so, haven't read the whole thread), but why is nobody talking about the fact that Suella Braverman literally refused to apologise to a Holocaust surivor who pulled her up some 2 months ago about the language she used re migration ('invasion' rhetoric etc.)?

All I can think of is Grandpa Simpson

One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere, like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now, where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..

I don’t want Jenas to be the BBCs face of football as I find him boring. Gary Lineker was at least a top footballer. Jenas was just meh.

I'd be shocked if Jenas got it. I think it'll be Alex Scott if she's interested when then time comes. Excellent presenter and pundit

One can be sure that despite the '100% support' of his colleagues, agents and their clients will be desperately manouvering behind the scenes to take his position.

As for Jenas, some f***wit in the BBC decided he should present the BBC's flagship evening show, so nothing is beyond them.

You're so fecking right mate, and that's only your first post. They should make you a MOD after a week!

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-64938252

Lineker to return to air this weekend after BBC deal reached

Gary Lineker and BBC management have reached a deal to get the presenter back on air, after the weekend's disruption to BBC Sport schedules.
Director General Tim Davie says: “Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”
In a statement, Davie also announces the BBC will launch an independent review into its social media guidelines, with a particular focus on freelancers outside news and current affairs like Lineker.
Gary Lineker says in the statement: "I am glad that we have found a way forward. I support this review and look forward to getting back on air."

Davie apologises and recognises 'grey areas' in social media guidance

In his statement, BBC Director General Tim Davie apologises again for loss of BBC Sport programming over the weekend.
He says: "Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this."
Davie also recognises the "potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance" that was introduced in 2020, adding he wants to "get matters resolved and our sport content back on air".
He goes on to emphasise how impartiality is "important to the BBC and the public as a whole, noting the corporation has a "commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression".

BBC launches review into social media guidance

The BBC Director General Tim Davie has announced there will be review, led by an independent expert reporting to the BBC, on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs.
The director general says the BBC and Gary are "in favour of such a review."
The BBC’s current social media guidance will remain in place while the work is completed and who will carry the review out will be announced "shortly", Davie adds.

Lineker delighted, thanks colleagues for support

Gary Lineker has put his response to the news of a deal, appropriately, on his Twitter account.
The first of four posts says:
After a surreal few days, I’m delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming." from Gary Lineker

Lineker 'immeasurably' proud to work for BBC
I have been presenting sport on the BBC for almost 3 decades and am immeasurably proud to work with the best and fairest broadcaster in the world. I cannot wait to get back in the MOTD chair on Saturday." from Gary Lineker

Lineker will abide by social media guidance while review takes place - BBC chief

Our Media Correspondent David Sillito has been speaking to BBC Director General Tim Davie. We'll have more from that interview in a moment but here's a breaking line.
Davie says: “Gary has agreed to abide by the guidance whilst the independent review takes place."
We're yet to have Lineker himself confirm this but he's tweeting a thread out right now.

Starmer: BBC chair's position increasingly untenable

Sir Keir Starmer speaking to broadcasters this morning

We've also been hearing from Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer this morning.

He has accused the BBC of being in a mess and repeated that its Chairman Richard Sharp's position is becoming "increasingly untenable".
Speaking to journalists just before it was announced Lineker would return to Match of the Day, Starmer says this is a "mess of the BBC's own making".
Starmer tells broadcasters the public would wonder: "How on Earth is he still in position but Gary Lineker has been taken off air?"
An ongoing KC-led review into Richard Sharp’s appointment as BBC chairman is investigating whether he failed to properly disclose details of his involvement in the facilitation of an £800,000 loan guarantee for the then-prime minister Boris Johnson. He has denied any involvement in the arrangement of a loan for Johnson.
The BBC is also conducting its own internal review over any potential conflicts of interest Sharp may have in his current role as BBC chairman.

There were simply no grounds for Lineker to be suspended in the first place.

He is a freelancer who doesn't work in news or current affairs, so it was obvious that his twitter activity didn't breach impartiality guidelines. Plus the BBC hierarchy had no problems with the politically related twitter activity of Andrew Neil or Alan Sugar or Lineker himself in the past, when the Tory government was not on the receiving end of criticism there. And of course he didn't declare his political views on air when presenting football coverage, so therefore they didn't interfere / interact with his role at the corporation.

This was incredibly clear-cut.

So full of his own importance is Gary, you can see it in his face.

Oh well back to the 'old farts show' (and I'm one too!) all the old grumbles, Gary going on about "football only started with the Premier League", the annual or (bi annual sometime) comments about Shearer never having won an FA Cup winners medal, and Wrighty's love for anything Arsenal... the old jokes are the best! :lol:

So full of his own importance is Gary, you can see it in his face.

Oh well back to the 'old farts show' (and I'm one too!) all the old grumbles, Gary going on about "football only started with the Premier League", the annual or (bi annual sometime) comments about Shearer never having won an FA Cup winners medal, and Wrighty's love for anything Arsenal... the old jokes are the best! :lol:

Ive had a sentimental love for Ian Wright ever since the video of him meeting his old teacher, Mr Pigden and immediately taking his hat off like he was back in school. Im quite happy to have the trio back.

Of course the breach of impartiality was the incompetent and oversensitive government, which has most of the print media on their side, trying to exert undue influence on the BBC headed by the Tory donor Richard Sharp and former Tory councillor candidate Tim Davie, to get Lineker removed.

Thankfully they failed, and I struggle to see how Richard Sharp's position is tenable.

Thankfully they failed, and I struggle to see how Richard Sharp's position is tenable.

Its not... his attempted, somewhat 'glib' coup' to overthrow Lineker failed, he has to either (in high Tory fashion) fall on his sword, or be removed and let someone who knows what they are doing takeover. The longer he stays in post Sunak/Tory party will come under increasing pressure.

God no. I'm not biggest Gary Lineker fan but who wants personality vacuum Jenas as the face of anything?

Nowhere near as bad as Attenborough being replaced by Brian Cox for science though. Organisation is dead.

The mere fact you are comparing Attenborough to Cox shows just how little you know about 'science'. You do know the difference between an 'honourary' degree and being part of the team that designed the Hadron Collider and is still a consultant to CERN?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned already (apologies if so, haven't read the whole thread), but why is nobody talking about the fact that Suella Braverman literally refused to apologise to a Holocaust surivor who pulled her up some 2 months ago about the language she used re migration ('invasion' rhetoric etc.)?

Probably because it would be tenuous to be going on about it today. The Holocaust survivor was not talking to Braverman about the Holocaust, just that she didn’t like her language. Which is fair enough, but that doesn’t mean the other person is obligated to apologize.

Ive had a sentimental love for Ian Wright ever since the video of him meeting his old teacher, Mr Pigden and immediately taking his hat off like he was back in school. Im quite happy to have the trio back.

Jeremy Vine is an absolute CNUT. Possibly UK top ten material.

I know people always do these conversation things, like i have below, to try to be funny. I'm not trying to make anyone laugh, but in seriousness I can't imagine that chat could be too far removed from:

BBC: "we'll have you back on air, just do an apology and reaffirm that the views were your own and not BBC's"
Lineker: "no"
BBC: "Deal"

BBC needed this resolution, anything else would have brought more heat on them

I love this. I have a ten year old and in her world teachers hold more sway than anything. The threat of telling her teacher anything negative is the worst threat imaginable to her :lol:

I really like Ian Wright. I didn't use to. In fact I thought he was a bit of a moron. The voice of a Sun newspaper reader.
But he's changed so much. He's engaging, he's interesting, he's likeable. He's a massive champion of the women's game. I think he's a top bloke and I would never have imagined saying that 10 years ago.

Probably because it would be tenuous to be going on about it today. The Holocaust survivor was not talking to Braverman about the Holocaust, just that she didn’t like her language. Which is fair enough, but that doesn’t mean the other person is obligated to apologize.
I think you've missed the point

I love this. I have a ten year old and in her world teachers hold more sway than anything. The threat of telling her teacher anything negative is the worst threat imaginable to her :lol:

I really like Ian Wright. I didn't use to. In fact I thought he was a bit of a moron. The voice of a Sun newspaper reader.
But he's changed so much. He's engaging, he's interesting, he's likeable. He's a massive champion of the women's game. I think he's a top bloke and I would never have imagined saying that 10 years ago.

You forgot 'he's thick'.

This. People lazily chuck him in with Shearer because they both played in the 90s. He’s done a great job of adapting and having really progressive views.