Jermaine Jenas | Sacked by BBC

You know it's bad when it makes me have the same opinion as Piers Morgan

Any player that scores a goal and reveals a "F*** The Torries" t-shirt wins 1000 points.
Oh my god, can you imagine? A handful of players in different games unveil shirts with ‘defund the BBC’ on them. Let’s see them ignore that :lol:

The bigots really are coming out the woodwork recently, it’s mask-off season.

Final Score now to be replaced with Repair shop...hopefully one with lots of family heirlooms brought to the UK from refugees fleeing conflicts.

Interestingly BBC news now leading with story on Greg Dykes comments that decision is wrong.

Greg is a massive hero to BBC staff and this is a sign things could get very interesting.

Utterly shambolic by the BBC, basically firing a commentator for criticising the policies of the sitting government. Has no place in a modern democracy.

For what it’s worth, I can also sort of see the sense in criticising Lineker. Even if I agree with what he said, he’s a BBC employee and it’s in their staff contracts that he shouldn’t do anything to indicate political bias either way. And those posts saying “well he’s not huw edwards, he presents a sports show”, it doesn’t matter. If it’s in his contract it’s in his contract, and companies taking a stance on their employees social media use is absolutely nothing new.

My problem, and I imagine a lot of other peoples problem is the hypocrisy displayed by the BBC. They can get around the likes of Alan Sugar and Andrew Neil spouting their opinions by saying they work for freelance companies and are not employed by the BBC directly etc, but the head of the BBC being a Tory donor is a massive contradiction to that supposed policy around impartiality - that should be a story in of itself even ignoring Lineker’s Twitter account.

Why? Theres not going to be any comment about the controversy, or anything else.

I'm assuming that poster thinks that viewers don't enjoy the punditry on offer or perhaps even punditry at all. It's possible that it will get good viewing figures but I wouldn't bank on it.

I haven't watched for years, still won't be. It's not because of Gary Lineker, who I actually don't particularly like as a presenter but more the format and time-slot.I can see the goals and highlights earlier if I want to.

I think he should be able to offer his opinion on anything he wants to although I don't really agree with his comparison here. Also don't get why anyone would care too much. It's obvious that lots of people do but I've never understood why the public are interested in famous people outside of the sphere of entertainment that they're famous for. In case, the views of an ex-football/current tv presenter and his political views, in other cases whether or not a soap actor is any good at ballroom dancing or ice skating in those reality shows.

Last edited:

Be great if this spreads to non-football shows but I can’t think of what else is live on the BBC outside of the news.

Tomorrow is a 6 nations game and United-Chelsea in the WSL. Gabby Logan presents football and rugby, wonder where this leaves her.

It's the rhetoric of the Tories, as well as the policies that irritates most non Tories on a daily basis.

I could definitely see something like this coming. The Tories have been pushing all the right buttons to get on the wrong side offootballers for a while now, especially during the pandemic. I doubt the BBC prepared for the consequences of sacking Lineker.

For what it’s worth, I can also sort of see the sense in criticising Lineker. Even if I agree with what he said, he’s a BBC employee and it’s in their staff contracts that he shouldn’t do anything to indicate political bias either way. And those posts saying “well he’s not huw edwards, he presents a sports show”, it doesn’t matter. If it’s in his contract it’s in his contract, and companies taking a stance on their employees social media use is absolutely nothing new.

My problem, and I imagine a lot of other peoples problem is the hypocrisy displayed by the BBC. They can get around the likes of Alan Sugar and Andrew Neil spouting their opinions by saying they work for freelance companies and are not employed by the BBC directly etc, but the head of the BBC being a Tory donor is a massive contradiction to that supposed policy around impartiality - that should be a story in of itself even ignoring Lineker’s Twitter account.
I could be wrong but my understanding is that there isn't actually anything in his contract that he has violated.

Not joke, I bet MOTD has its biggest TV audience for years tonight.
Sure, there will be morbid curiosity tonight, but ratings aren’t the be-all-and-end-all for a non-commercial station, and the novelty will wear off after one week. GBNews fans aren’t going to make a difference.

This is so sad as an outside observer (literally, it's on all day at the office) of the BBC. Despite all its faults, it remains (ed?) the best neutral place to go for daily news.

This UK government is obviously a trainwreck - especially on anything immigration focussed - so I can't see a world where any sensilbe person shouldn't have a viewpoint. And Lineker should be able to express his views outside of 'work' as he desires. Which he's clearly done, and getting appropriate praise. Of course the BBC has the right to consider those in context of his employment. But this is so blindly a Tory-led piece of bullsh*t given previous history and other examples.

Really great to see so many BBC-ers sticking with Lineker on this.

How do people who come up with these policies on immigration manage to get into power anywhy? It's insane.

I'd like to know how many will tune in on a motd tonight to see it all crumble. They'll have the highest ever views in MOTD history
Which, of course, the right wing media will delight in putting a positive spin on.

To go all BBC and in the interest of balance - both Emily Thornberry and Yvette Cooper did not defend Lineker and criticised him. Good to see Labour have reevaluated once they realised which way the wind was going.

To be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with their comments. I wouldn't expect Labour to defend the words Lineker used but more the overreaction and suspension that followed.

Sky Sports and BT Sport covering Football as normal, bet their sponsors are 'over the moon'

What he did was criticise the language and grounds of a government policy. He didn't endorse Labour or condemn the conservatives, he commented on a specific piece of policy. The idea that a presenter can be removed for disagreeing on government policy and the language used to present it is absurd. It sets a precedent that presenters can be remove simply for disagreeing with the government, that is not ok, and it shouldn't happen to anyone.

I don't think it makes a difference, many of the people watching BBC do so because they don't have sky or BT.
Might be more in the pubs and clubs though.... that do show Sky and BT... Landlords up and down the country will be agreeing that..... 'every cloud has a silver lining'.

It's a load of shite. What they said in defence of Andrew Neil applies to Lineker too.

"Andrew is a freelancer and his Twitter account is a personal one - the BBC is not responsible for its content."
"When carrying out his responsibilities for the BBC, he always adheres to the same rules of impartiality as all other presenters." (ha)