Jermaine Jenas | Sacked by BBC

Even the players won’t talk to the bbc :lol:

It’s almost as if displaying massive hypocrisy in punishing a widely respected broadcaster for having some empathy is as tone deaf as it gets. You can tell these out of touch wankers had no idea this shit storm was coming.

He's tweeted and retweeted a shit load about this over the past few days.

If you were interested and missed it, where were you looking? His MySpace page?
really? MySpace? It might as well be beamed directly to Mars, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I meant on Lineker's "suspension" which didn't happen days ago

It's also a sign of just how much the Overton window has shifted that Gary Lineker, a man with fairly bland, centrist politics, is being treated this way.

Imagine what the establishment would do to someone with actual left wing opinions :wenger:

I'd like to know how many will tune in on a motd tonight to see it all crumble. They'll have the highest ever views in MOTD history, stroke of genius for all the wrong reasons. I'll even watch it after 15 years

Not joke, I bet MOTD has its biggest TV audience for years tonight.

I don’t think I’ve watched it for about five years, but if they had a show with no analysis and shit jokes, just an hour of highlights, I’d seek it out every week.

He's tweeted and retweeted loads regarding Linekers suspension in the past 16 hours.

https://twitter.com/GNev2 if you're interested.
will look, thanks. Actually follow him but, to put it mildly, been rather busy at work the past 4-5 days. Not even had time to listen to James O'Brien.
Did think it strange not to have heard anything

Try youtube.com
But then you have to put with terrible music and a 3 minute long "intro" with the name of whoever stole the media plastered across the screen.

I like to get my goal highlights from Twitter. Always (I'm not kidding) more fun with super enthusiastic commentary in a language I can't understand.

BBC had no trouble really criticizing Qatar through their platform but it hurts when the criticism is directed closer home I guess. When they behave like that, even legitimate criticism of foreign countries appear rich to the rest of the world.

BBC had no trouble really criticizing Qatar through their platform but it hurts when the criticism is directed closer home I guess. When they behave like that, even legitimate criticism of foreign countries appear rich to the rest of the world.
This is one of things that shows that the BBC is in the process of mutating from a ‘public service broadcaster’ (what it should be) to a ‘state broadcaster’.

I personally don’t think it’s got as bad as Al Jazeera or RT (which don’t allow any real criticism of their respective governments at all), but I can certainly see why some non-Brits might think so.

But then you have to put with terrible music and a 3 minute long "intro" with the name of whoever stole the media plastered across the screen.

I like to get my goal highlights from Twitter. Always (I'm not kidding) more fun with super enthusiastic commentary in a language I can't understand.

Just go to the sky premier league channel.

No music, just highlights.

I won't be watching. Despite what some people are saying, Lineker, Wright and Shearer do know about football, and very often have interesting comments to make, VAR being one of the topics they regularly highlight. Still, you could be right, as I'm sure there are a number of fans who don't enjoy the banter between the three, and just want to watch football.

It's also a sign of just how much the Overton window has shifted that Gary Lineker, a man with fairly bland, centrist politics, is being treated this way.

Imagine what the establishment would do to someone with actual left wing opinions :wenger:
That’s the scary truth, Linikers opinion wasn’t even controversial.

Try youtube.com

The point is that it’s easier to flick on a tv and have it there in HD. If there is a YouTube channel that puts together HD highlights into an hour package and doesn’t have adverts, please link.

It depends on the game. It would have 100% been higher if there was a Z list line up but just highlights which people can go onto YouTube for, probably not

A lot of old people or BBC haters may give it a watch but that all depends how many are on the panel to count

It depends on the game. It would have 100% been higher if there was a Z list line up but just highlights which people can go onto YouTube for, probably not

A lot of old people or BBC haters may give it a watch but that all depends how many are on the panel to count
I think a lot of people will tune in for a couple mins out of curiosity. I imagine I will if I haven't found anything better to amuse myself with.

Can't wait for the "Sorry people, we were wrong!" statement from the BBC. This has smacks of the ESL debacle and can only go one way. It would be in their best interest to accept this sooner rather than later.

The point is that it’s easier to flick on a tv and have it there in HD. If there is a YouTube channel that puts together HD highlights into an hour package and doesn’t have adverts, please link.
Get adblock for chrome and you'll not see adverts

Why does it need to be in an hour package? Takes seconds to search for the highlights of a match you're interested in

I see all the GB News lot are harping the line of nobody watches MOTD for the presenters, they watch it for the highlights.

I see all the GB News lot are harping the line of nobody watches MOTD for the presenters, they watch it for the highlights.

I don’t tend to watch MOTD any more (for obvious reasons, apart from when we have a decent win) but I always liked to hear what the pundits had to say. Even if it is something I find objectionable.

Being devil’s advocate here but the bbc would probably argue that the bit in bold is why they come down hard if presenter like Lineker doesnremain politically impartial.

Which would mean the issue isn’t that they did something wrong in how they treated Lineker, so much as why they previously allowed someone like Andrew Neill to take a BBC salary despite expressing political opinions.

Although the one thing I keep asking (and nobody has answered) is what does a politically impartial opinion on the refugee issue even look like?

The key to my point is their lack of action when Sugar and Maitlis attack Corbyn.

I think a lot of people will tune in for a couple mins out of curiosity. I imagine I will if I haven't found anything better to amuse myself with.

Unless you are on the BARB panel you won't count as a viewer anyway. Equally, you need to generally watch at least 3 minutes to be counted for industry standard reporting

But if you watch on iPlayer that's a different story

If the TV figures don't back big viewing, I fully expect spin to come in the form of iPlayer views being through the roof. In that case, it's their word at face value as nobody else has that data

Some guy on BT Sport just said that Fernandes should be deported for his performance at Liverpool.

I’ve just checked, it’s some show called “The Football’s On” Some Arse dude is the host.

He’d do MOTD this evening

The damage to BBCs reputation could be significantly damage beyond the scope of the football if they dont stem the bleed before the MOTD and straight up apologises for making a mistake.

First you have very popular public personas that are large voices in the Britsh football that are now vocal that they wont host it. Anyone who is remotely assosciated with the public limelight will not touch that hosting gig even for either simply being good, empathic people, or they dont want to risk becoming persona non-grata in that section of the professional social circle. The support for Lineker now extend beyond the BBC and includes other noteable British pundits, sports commenters and now even the players themselves.

Attempting to stifle popular voices that speak out from a place of empathy is never going to end well, especially in the sweeping activist climate of todays media age. The one thing people in Britain have to take their minds of a time of significant economical hardship even for a little while is football, and the BBC just stuck their noses in that and took a good whif of the shit sandwich they have created.

The MOTD has been on the air since 1964. It wont air on this day in 2023 because the host cares about human beings.

I am only expressing an opinion, isn't that what Lineker's doing, and I don't even work for the Beeb?

I'm truly shocked that this is your opinion.
Sorry, but never liked this trio of Lineker/Shearer/Wright, too much ABU'ism about them

What new blood would be better than having three premier league legends?
Eric Cantona, Dennis Irwin, Peter Schmeichel (MBE)... Frenchman, Irishman, Dane.... fantastic trio ...and not an Englishman in sight

The new blood you refer to doesn’t want any of it either.
What new blood is that then (as above?) Have they been asked?

How do you always manage to completely miss the point when it comes to these wider issues?
It depends on how you look at things, clearly not as you do.... that's what makes interesting discourse, don't you think?