Jean-Clair Todibo | signs for West Ham on loan with option to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
They circumvented the issue by placing him in Troyes, which isn't in any of the same competitions as Manchester City. He was only loaned from Troyes to Girona, so technically City is buying him from Troyes. All of the mentioned clubs are owned by the City group. They simply planned it out better and abused a loophole.

UEFA should still look into this as it's a clear loophole. Essentially there is no difference for Todibo to us.

How desperately does he want to leave France, would he not fancy just waiting a season then we could buy him then?

We can't, the rule's in place until September 2025, the transfer window ends in August.

Essentially not, because we're playing in the same competition. That's simply what killed the deal. Remove that, deal would have been done weeks ago.

I mean essentially both players are owned by the same onwers. But City just planned it better by putting the player in a smaller club which will never play in a same competition with City. That's again a fecking clear loophole.

We can't, the rule's in place until September 2025, the transfer window ends in August.

What if we’re not in the same UEFA competition as Nice the following season? Is it allowed then?

I don’t know the detail of the ruling

I mean essentially both players are owned by the same onwers. But City just planned it better by putting the player in a smaller club which will never play in a same competition with City. That's again a fecking clear loophole.

You'd feel there's a risk of a perverse incentive for owners to possibly ask for a club to tank their results to make sure everyone stays within its alloted tier.

Seriously don't understand how exploiting a loophole like that is something UEFA just let's fly while being stringent in other cases like ours...

Makes a complete mockery of the rule but Ceferin has been in the pockets of the Gulf monarchies for years so I figure that's not a big deal for him

It’s not even clever, it’s a blatant skirting of the rules and if UEFA wants to punish them, it won’t even be hard to prove.
the problem is skirting of the rules is not (technically) breaking the rules. if a loophole is left open, it will be exploited. Also we probably would be best get used to this as our man Berrada probably already has schemes in place for us. As the aul fellas say over here when bending rules 'Ah sure it'll be grand'.

the problem is skirting of the rules is not (technically) breaking the rules. if a loophole is left open, it will be exploited. Also we probably would be best get used to this as our man Berrada probably already has schemes in place for us. As the aul fellas say over here when bending rules 'Ah sure it'll be grand'.

I was surprised our new overlords apparently were caught so naive and unprepared with Todibo but I'm sure they learned their lesson and will cook the same schemes as everyone else.

UEFA will have to find new regulations soon because what they have in place is not working.

They circumvented the issue by placing him in Troyes, which isn't in any of the same competitions as Manchester City. He was only loaned from Troyes to Girona, so technically City is buying him from Troyes. All of the mentioned clubs are owned by the City group. They simply planned it out better and abused a loophole.
thanks... I thought Nice had failed to make the Europa. so if we'd been in the Conference we could have bought him. EUFA come up with the most bizarre rules

Last edited:

They are not even skirting the rules. They are well within the rules, both as they're written and the spirit of the rules. It's not a loophole, there is no bending.

thanks... I thought Nice had failed to make the Europa. so if we'd been in the Conference we could have bought him. UEFA come up with the most bizarre rules
It's not so weird in the sense Euro competitions are really the "only" realm of UEFA for clubs, unless I am mistaken. I guess it's either that (avoid collusion) or just banning outright clubs.

Forgive my ignorance but if we really wanted him, could we buy him and not register him for Europa?

He's a baller and I hope Jim refuses to sell him to a PL club. He can go to Spain or Italy and sign for us next summer.

Hope he goes to Juventus, surely Sir Jim is not interested in selling him to other PL team if we were in for him

If we would have bought him, don't think deLigt would be in the picture at all.

Makes me think that we won't go above the 35 million pound threshold for deLigt either

The comments here confirm that no one actually believes that Nice and United are being ran completely independent from each other. That means we're actually getting off extremely lightly (we should absolutely not be allowed to compete in the Europa League next season), instead of being hard done by as so many people keep claiming.

If Nice and United are being ran like two completely independent entities, they should have no qualms at all about selling to a PL club.

The comments here confirm that no one actually believes that Nice and United are being ran completely independent from each other. That means we're actually getting off extremely lightly (we should absolutely not be allowed to compete in the Europa League next season), instead of being hard done by as so many people keep claiming.

If Nice and United are being ran like two completely independent entities, they should have no qualms at all about selling to a PL club.

INEOS was surprisingly unprepared for this it seems or didn't give enough forethought. Maybe a case of all the same usual suspects there (FiCheMe and Brailsford) being a little too hands on with their project at least in that transitional period.
Hopefully they plan on having compartmentalised management in place for each entity soon enough.

INEOS was surprisingly unprepared for this it seems or didn't give enough forethought. Maybe a case of all the same usual suspects there (FiCheMe and Brailsford) being a little too hands on with their project at least in that transitional period.
Hopefully they plan on having compartmentalised management in place for each entity soon enough.
Is it not just that UEFA literally changed the rules last year, so until they were out there it was difficult to plan around them?

Is it not just that UEFA literally changed the rules last year, so until they were out there it was difficult to plan around them?

Perhaps, I'll defer to you on the content of that rule change but the Red Bull multi ownership was already subject to some rules and have been for a few years now IIRC.

Anyhow, we only lost the opportunity to recruit a single player. Could have been more dramatic. I'm sure they'll patch things up to be regulation compliant soon.

Didnt look all that in the one game I saw him in last season.

Positioning he was all over the place and wasn't decisive enough for me, aerially or on the ground.

Maybe i caught him on a bad day..

We got a player who is more highly rated at the end of the day
Still would have been nice to have both of rhem. We would have been set in defence for many years. Three CBs excellent on the ball.

Still would have been nice to have both of rhem. We would have been set in defence for many years. Three CBs excellent on the ball.
We'll get De Ligt. He's more suitable to replace Maguire while Yoro replaces Varane. It's important to have a center back who's a beast at aerial duels.

Status
Not open for further replies.