Jarrad Branthwaite

an Everton player not even good for the England squad that has many injuries in the back, for that salary :lol:
That'd not a reason to scoff at him tbf, Southgate's selections aren't the end all be all.

Another one of the best English CB's of the last few years has rarely even been named to the squad because he plays in Italy

How good is Branthwaite and how good can he be? Stones level or not as good?

Depends how Ten Hag manages him doesn't it? Stones managed to elevate to such a high level due to the genius of Guardiola as much as his own ability. I think Branthwaite is a better 'defender' and Stones is a better 'footballer' but do think Branthwaite can be a mainstay player for a CL and International side. I am interested how you'll use him though. If you're signing Branthwaite and interested in Yoro, are you going to be playing a 3 at the back or playing Martinez as a LB?

Wow sounds like it may happen :devil:

Tall, fast, physical and can play ball. On paper sounds like a good partner for Martinez.

I'd invite you to have a look at his fbref. Yes, stats aren't everything, but when you're in the bottom 3rd percentile for progressive carries, and bottom 15th for passes attempted, passing accuracy, and progressive passes, you're not someone who can play the ball.

When you add to that he's a lefty, so is not an ideal partner to Martinez, and at the fees quoted... this signing gets more and more confusing the more you analyse it

150k a week ! Will we ever learn ?!

I don't think that's unreasonable. Sounds about right for somebody who (I assume) would be starting most games for us.

I'm so used to watching us pay £350k a week for the likes of Sancho and Alexis Sanchez this looks pretty reasonable

I'd invite you to have a look at his fbref. Yes, stats aren't everything, but when you're in the bottom 3rd percentile for progressive carries, and bottom 15th for passes attempted, passing accuracy, and progressive passes, you're not someone who can play the ball.

Again, not doing something and can't do something are different things.

That'd not a reason to scoff at him tbf, Southgate's selections aren't the end all be all.

Another one of the best English CB's of the last few years has rarely even been named to the squad because he plays in Italy

Yeah I said fair enough. But 150k is ridiculous, you can not give some random mediocre defender 150k a week while your rising talents like Garnacho and Mainoo get 50k. It is wrong and send very bad signal to our academy players. This player has done nothing in football to deserve this salary. He is not even that good.

Really hoping that the reported wages are wide off, it’s like we refuse to learn from our mistakes..
I like the idea of signing him though, just not on crazy figures (fee and salary).

Overrated and overpriced English players and Manchester United, name a more iconic duo.

When you add to that he's a lefty, so is not an ideal partner to Martinez, and at the fees quoted... this signing gets more and more confusing the more you analyse it

Look at the fbref page when he was at PSV. He can pass / carry just fine. Just been asked to not do it as much at Everton because Dyche ball. It's one of those where you have to look at the stats and then use your eyes to understand why the stats are the way they are.

Apart from the whole thing around him being left footed, if I had to come up with an ideal partner for Martinez, this guy is it.

A quick Google search tells me he's on around 40k pw now, surely he'd accept less than 4x that? We really need to stop paying superstar wages to "potential" it's why we are/were lumped with players like Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Jones, Williams and De Gea, and can only give them up for free transfers/nominal fees.

We're obviously not learning if those wages are anywhere close to being true.

I don't think that's unreasonable. Sounds about right for somebody who (I assume) would be starting most games for us.

I'm so used to watching us pay £350k a week for the likes of Sancho and Alexis Sanchez this looks pretty reasonable

It is! And this is the exact reason why players stagnate after moving to United and why we fail to move them on when things don't work out.

It is! And this is the exact reason why players stagnate after moving to United and why we fail to move them on when things don't work out.
No one is gonna come for 80-90k a week when another club can just offer 50k extra and get him.

150-160 is pretty reasonable and not over the top at all.

Mainoo 20k, Garnacho 50k, Hojlund 85k, Lisandro 120k, Onana 90k, Dalot 85k all starting players under 150 and they are all better footballing players than him. He is 21 years old with one "ok" season.

I am a bit meh on this purely for the amount he's going to cost us and I don't think he's good enough to be a long term starter for us. Obviously he's going to be better than Lindelof(and can argue Maguire as well) but a good squad player is his ceiling in my view. Would love to be proven wrong.

I think that phenomenon is called "playing for Sean Dyche".

His passing stats at PSV were a lot more respectable:
Screenshot-2024-06-13-224015.png

No one is gonna come for 80-90k a week when another club can just offer 50k extra and get him.

It is a joke, it is not reasonable at all for a player like him.

You might be right about the issue with overpaying youngsters but my point is whatever salary they're offering Branthwaite will just be in line with whatever they're paying Lindelof/Wan Bissaka etc.

I imagine the £150k per week has performance related bonus included in it.

We pay Hojlund £85k a week and he was a £75m signing. No way should Branthwaite be on more than him as his first deal.

Then let them get him. This line of thinking is what has landed us in the place we are today.
Let them get him in and then we complain that United are incompetent for not “just getting the deal done”

United fans now want elite squads at a mediocre level of financial clout. Simply is not going to happen.

I’m all for signing talented young English players. I’m not entirely sold on him at the moment but if we could develop him then it’s all good. But I’m not sure that there is a fee we could agree with Everton; despite their financial difficulties they won’t want to be seen to be selling a player they value highly on the cheap and with a £70m starting fee, I don’t see how we can bring that down to something that is more reasonable.