Jamie Vardy signs new contract at Leicester City

Mancunia_Religion

I'd disagree that Vardy had a world class season because a good handful of strikers had better seasons.
I meant it *increases their chances of getting a world class striker because Wenger would, at most, buy just one.
You can disagree which is fine but he genuinely was one of the best strikers in the world last season. You don't score 24 goals and get 6 assists and not be one of the best in your position. There's barely if any world class strikers available so that actually decreases his chances significantly.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The former is the better option though. I'd rather have Alan Shearers career (where he is adored) over Michael Owens (where he won a couple more medals but is forgotten by every fanbase).

Vardy almost certainly wont win the league again; with Arsenal or Leicester, but at least he'll always be remembered if he stays. He wouldn't even be a footnote at Arsenal.
Couldn't have said it better.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You can disagree which is fine but he genuinely was one of the best strikers in the world last season. You don't score 24 goals and get 6 assists and not be one of the best in your position. There's barely if any world class strikers available so that actually decreases his chances significantly.
Morata, Lukaku, Higuain

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Fair play to him for not jumping ship, it'll be interesting to see if Arsenal sign a proven forward this summer after this, both Lukaku and Morata are available, both would be useful signings for differing reasons, but I can't see Wenger forking over the type of money needed to land either.

Lostie007

Jesus Christ how does vardy snub Arsenal?:confused: Arsenal have had their feel of embarrassing moments but this is just disgusting. You've got to feel sorry for them at this point.

It's freaking Jamie Vardy who does he think he is?
I agree.

I Feel sorry for Wenger most. He gets criticised about not "splashing the cash" but when he tries to, he gets rejected by the cretin which is Jamie Vardy giving it the Big I Am thinking he is above Arsenal's level.. the nerve of that guy.

As a player you want to test yourself, Arsenal spending that sort of money should've convinced him Arsenal are serious about challenging next season not only in the league but the CL too. Leicester won't as every other team in the big 4 or 6 is much stronger.

Vardy, you plank. I hope he regrets it now and has a really bad season.. it was the perfect time to leave Leicester too, you can't better that - same for Ranieri.

It just shows poor mentality from a footballer to me. The irony is Most people would've understood him leaving to join Arsenal too !

JazzG

Resident Arse.
What do you want?! It's been a long time since Arsenal had a striker do remotely what Vardy did last season. 29 year old late-comer with only one top class season is a far better option than currently on the Arsenal books.
I'd agree with that which is why I was open to him joining. You have to remember when you're used to having players like Bergkamp, Henry & RvP the likes of Giroud are one hell of a step down. Vardy while a better goal scorer still nowhere near the level of our previous strikers. Like I mentioned though, there is a serious shortage of top strikers available so right now you can't be too picky. Even the so called top players available come with their flaws.

Lostie007

Arsenal should go for Higuain now. I think he is much better than Vardy plus has pedigree in his mentality playing for Real Madrid.

ReDDHDevilS

So Vardy, a non-league player couple of years ago, used Arsenal all along to get an improved contract after signing a new one just four months ago while becoming an even bigger hero in the eyes of Leicester fans as well as others by eventually snubbing Arsenal and staying loyal (!) to Leicester! Unbelievable!

Well played, Vardy!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You lot ?

I am no arsenal fan. I am a united fan.

Couldnt give a toss if they signed him or not. But from a neutral perspective It is a decision I cant understand. Jamie Vardy rejects Arsenal...

Unbelievable how shortminded football has become. 2 seasons ago he was fighting relegation, now he rejects Arsenal.
Arsenal have not won a big trophy themselves for 12 years. And he's hardly guaranteed to be a hit in a different system. Could very well have flopped and lost his chances for England as well as a result. Reasons to stay at Liecester? a) Still gets paid huge money b) Still in the CL c) Plays for fans who absolute adores him d) can you imagine if they finish in the top 4/challenge next season? Would be an incredible achievement. e) Probably thinks he can play the 2018 WC if he plays week in week out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree.

I Feel sorry for Wenger most. He gets criticised about not "splashing the cash" but when he tries to, he gets rejected by the cretin which is Jamie Vardy giving it the Big I Am thinking he is above Arsenal's level.. the nerve of that guy.

As a player you want to test yourself, Arsenal spending that sort of money should've convinced him Arsenal are serious about challenging next season not only in the league but the CL too. Leicester won't as every other team in the big 4 or 6 is much stronger.

Vardy, you plank. I hope he regrets it now and has a really bad season.. it was the perfect time to leave Leicester too, you can't better that - same for Ranieri.

It just shows poor mentality from a footballer to me. The irony is Most people would've understood him leaving to join Arsenal too !
How has he not been tested at Leicester, and how will he not be tested next season? Do Arsenal sit and give some different tests to everyone else?

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Arsenal have not won a big trophy themselves for 12 years. And he's hardly guaranteed to be a hit in a different system. Could very well have flopped and lost his chances for England as well as a result. Reasons to stay at Liecester? a) Still gets paid huge money b) Still in the CL c) Plays for fans who absolute adores him d) can you imagine if they finish in the top 4/challenge next season? Would be an incredible achievement. e) Probably thinks he can play the 2018 WC if he plays week in week out.
Yea the same fans who threatend his wife when there was just the first rumour about him leaving. Classy bunch those Leicester fans.

ocprodigy

"There's not enough quality in that Leicester team" seems to be a common feat I keep hearing.
Yet people here would love to sign at least two of their players. Funny that. Teams aren't always built from superstars.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
How has he not been tested at Leicester, and how will he not be tested next season? Do Arsenal sit and give some different tests to everyone else?
No compition at Leicester. System build around his pace.

At Arsenal he would have to proof himself in a system build around something more than just Vardys pace and with more competition.

As a footballer I think that is a challenge he should take. But it is clear he either doesnt dare or he is delusional enough to really believe this season at Leicester has put him above arsenal level.

Either way I think it is a disappointing decision. I admire players sauing no the big clubs when the time aint right because they are too young or I respect those players that fitst want to achieve something with their club before making a big move. But in case of Vardy he is 29, stayed plenty loyal to Leicester, achieved something great there, so the timing for his move is ideal and also now or never.

So him saying no proofs he either lacks the ambition to show himself at a big club and is scarred of the competition or it proofs that he has become quite desillusioned by the freak season Leicester had. That wont repeat itself anymore in the near future.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Good for Vardy. I would certainly have taken him but not too fussed about him staying at Leicester. Now the choice is starker for Wenger - put up the money or not for a player like Morata and Higuain, both of whom I think would fit us better than Vardy anyway - and there is no easy way out. I don't think Wenger rates most of the other second-tier solutions like Batshuayi or Lacazette. If he rated those players, we would have moved for them last summer or have laid the groundwork for their transfers this summer.

As far as Leicester next year, I expect them to regress badly. They were incredibly lucky in all sorts of ways last year - they had very few injuries, they massively outperformed their expected goals based on shot statistics and chances created. Regression to the mean in terms of luck plus having to stretch the squad much further to play in Europe will add up to a finish somewhere in the 5th-10th range. But I still think Vardy made the right decision in some ways: As others have said, he will be a Leicester legend for the rest of his life and that has value. Football careers are short and life is long.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
"There's not enough quality in that Leicester team" seems to be a common feat I keep hearing.
Yet people here would love to sign at least two of their players. Funny that. Teams aren't always built from superstars.
They have 3 quality players in their team who have played only 1 great season so far. 2 of them are on the radar of the big clubs because of that season. It is likely atleast one of them will leave.

I dont think they could have done it without any of those 3.

I dont think they can win it again against better competition which surely Mourinho, Pep and Conte will provide.

I dont think they can really replace any of their 3 top players should they leave.

A fallback is highly likely. It would be crazy to expect anything else.

Also they have been very fortunate this season in many ways. No major hickups, no serious injurries, would be rare to have that again this season. I dont think Leicester could have won it if not everything went their way from the go of the season till the very end.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
People are actually classing this as loyalty?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Silly decision, he is either delusional to think Leicester will do better than Arsenal or he lacks ambition.

I hope Leicester crumble next season, Vardy wont be recalled for the three lions anymore and that he will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

I mean he would have jumped at the chance of signing for a club like Arsenal his entire career but it never happened because he was a bit of a one trick shite lower league player. Now on the magic of last seadon he gets a once in a lifetime opportunity to still join such a club at age 29 and he doesnt take it. How foolish can you be ?
Why is he lacking ambition?? He wants to continue winning things and competing at the top with Leicester. Now that is ambition!!

Why would he go to Arsenal and become a bit part player like so many players have done before him at City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. Leicester have obviously offered him a decent whack so fair play to him. I really hope Leicester continue to do well.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Glorious news. This transfer was tailor-made for Arsene Wenger: "reasonable" release clause and wages for a Premier League proven player in a position they needed. And they blew it. I expect to hear songs about this next year.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Meh.. wouldn't have mind them getting him just to stop all the future links with us doing the rounds. Now I worry they'll go for Higuain again, small of chance of us being in for him anyway but at least that would have ruled out one less rival and give us a chance to try first. Only positive is that Wenger resumes normality and persuades Arsenal fans he did try to sign his target in the summer and persists with Giroud, Welbeck and Sanogo again instead.

EvilIrwin

Oh dear, probably should have followed Vardys example and chose to stay.

Some of the comments here :wenger:, damned if he stays, damned if he goes.
Respect to him for showing loyalty. Actually shows some balls that he has decided to stay plus no doubt if he had left others would have followed him out the door but now theirs a good chance they could stay. Leicester are on one heck of an adventure and he wants to be a part of it. Fair play to him.

In terms of Champions League, Arsenal would have only reached the last 16 anyway and there no closer to the title than Leicester. Not to mention the extra pressure he would be under to perform. As for money, would have been offset by the high costs of living in London anyway.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah, competing with Welbeck and Giroud will put the fear of god into him.

DanBorja

Much respect for Vardy. Hope Mahrez & Kante choose to stay as well so they can at least have a chance to have a decent run at the CL.
Looking forward for the start of the season, curious to see how the top teams adjust to their new managers, while Leicester struggles to compete in both the PL & CL.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It just shows poor mentality from a footballer to me.
Absolute rubbish. What the feck can Arsenal offer Vardy that he hasn't already? Why should he feel more accomplished if he played at Arsenal in his career, when he just won a Premiership title with Leicester City? How likely is it that he tops that? Money won't be too much different, he'll just switch from a place where he's a hero to one where he'll be another one of many, in what will almost likely be another failed season.

And how is poor mentality just choosing to be happy (if his assumption is that he'll be happier at Leicester), even not regarding all previous considerations? Would he have shown more mentality by accepting a move to Arsenal? In what way? Not being afraid of a bigger challenge? Is Arsenal's next season going to be more challenging than Leicester's? If so, why?

Loads of bullshit in this thread. "Proving himself at a different system". Since when is that supposed to be a consideration? Wouldn't most players actually be smarter by looking for teams who suit them (and vice-versa).

I don't know if i's some sort of big-club-fanhood syndrome in which players seen as lesser are being heretic in refusing the big club, or if it's just the usual Vardy hate, but there's are some very strange arguments in this thread. This at a time when a lot are generally disillusioned with the football facet of footballers changing like a carousel each season. Instead of being seen as an interesting exception, some see him as having poor mentality. Stupid.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Absolute rubbish. What the feck can Arsenal offer Vardy that he hasn't already? Why should he feel more accomplished if he played at Arsenal in his career, when he just won a Premiership title with Leicester City? How likely is it that he tops that? Money won't be too much different, he'll just switch from a place where he's a hero to one where he'll be another one of many, in what will almost likely be another failed season.

And how is poor mentality just choosing to be happy (if his assumption is that he'll be happier at Leicester), even not regarding all previous considerations? Would he have shown more mentality by accepting a move to Arsenal? In what way? Not being afraid of a bigger challenge? Is Arsenal's next season going to be more challenging than Leicester's? If so, why?

Loads of bullshit in this thread. "Proving himself at a different system". Since when is that supposed to be a consideration? Wouldn't most players actually be smarter by looking for teams who suit them (and vice-versa).

I don't know if i's some sort of big-club-fanhood syndrome in which players seen as lesser are being heretic in refusing the big club, or if it's just the usual Vardy hate, but there's are some very strange arguments in this thread. This at a time when a lot are generally disillusioned with the football facet of footballers changing like a carousel each season. Instead of being seen as an interesting exception, some see him as having poor mentality. Stupid.
Excellent post. When the player should be applauded for staying with smaller club we are looking at all possible excuses to blame him.

marlowe78

I'm glad he's staying and hope that the others do as well. It would be a shame if that team came apart after the season they had.

Interesting how many people think LC will struggle next season. The competition will be fiercer but as long as other team's players aren't getting stuck in, making their tackles, or running back, they'll have a chance. That's largely what set them apart from everybody else.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

*applauds post vigorously*

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
He appeared to have problems adjusting to life at Leicester and the huge bump in Salary. It could have ended his career as he was partying hard and a bit lost. Fair play to him and the club that they turned it around. So I can see why sticking with Leicester is the sensible decision for him.

I wish a few more footballers had the sense (or more likely the good advice) that Vardy has shown here.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Loyalty had nothing to do with Vardy decision. We offered him a 3 year contract. Leicester offered 4 years at roughly the same wage. All about the money. Oh, and he was probably afraid of Rebekah sleeping with Giroud ;)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Exellent post

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Loyalty had nothing to do with Vardy decision. We offered him a 3 year contract. Leicester offered 4 years at roughly the same wage. All about the money. Oh, and he was probably afraid of Rebekah sleeping with Giroud ;)
Yeah hopefully Mourinho will never be interested in Giroud.......here he flirts with Schneiderlin’s fiancee after the Albania win :lol:

Miscemayl

Wonder if he would've joined Arsenal if he knew Kante, and most likely Mahrez, will leave this summer

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Players can't win, if you choose to tough it out with a lower profile club and perhaps not as many trophies, you are chastised for a lack of ambition or having a poor mentality (when infact the opposite is true, nothing represents ambitious thinking than taking a so called "lesser" team to glory and wanting to be a part of that) . But like in Basketball, players can just as easily be on the end of ribbing for taking the easy road to titles like with KD going to Golden State.

Lostie007

Yea, I wonder if he feels a bit silly now.
He should. Mahrez and Kante have got the right idea, they know things are not getting better and have worked hard for this plum move.. take it with both hands I'm sure even Leicester City wish them well as they are already legends of that club.

If Leicester City have a worse season next season inevitably the star players will get a bashing (they turned lazy, success have gone to their heads etc), football fans are fickle and the best time to move was after a season like Leicester City have.. what more can you achieve!? it is very unlikely to happen again so don't get delusions of grandeur Leicester City will be challenging regularly.. it was a rare one off.. the league this season is much stronger.

Jamie Vardy could be playing for Arsenal regularly challenging for the Premier League living in an amazing City like London. He will never get that chance again.. in a years time he will be older and less of a wanted property. Considering where he came from it would've been a fantastic story, from non-leagues to Arsenal.

baanke laal

banned
I don't think he would feel silly about it. He is done the right thing and stayed with the club. He would get his statue there as a legend.