Jamie Vardy signs new contract at Leicester City

Varun

Staff
Can't believe the nonsense being spouted in this thread. Hope the guys giving him flak do the same if/when a bigger club comes along for one of their players who turns it down.

Gatti33

Made the right decision. He's got a pay increase and will be at a club who will value him more. He would have struggled at Arsenal, mainly because their style doesn't match his, but also because they have high expectations for a club who don't really achieve anything. The majority of Arsenal fans a thickle as anything, there were parts of last season when they were blaming Cech for their failures, arguably their player of the season.

Will Absolute

Fair dues. I expected him to move for a last big payday, but it seems Leicester can offer that now.

No more gentry and peasants in the premiership! The Revolution has come -we're all equal now!

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'm no fan of Jamie Vardy but that's just delusional arrogant nonsense.

He's just won the trophy your lot have been failing to get your hands on for 12 years.
You lot ?

I am no arsenal fan. I am a united fan.

Couldnt give a toss if they signed him or not. But from a neutral perspective It is a decision I cant understand. Jamie Vardy rejects Arsenal...

Unbelievable how shortminded football has become. 2 seasons ago he was fighting relegation, now he rejects Arsenal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You lot ?

I am no arsenal fan. I am a united fan.

Couldnt give a toss if they signed him or not. But from a neutral perspective It is a decision I cant understand. Jamie Vardy rejects Arsenal...

Unbelievable how shortminded football has become. 2 seasons ago he was fighting relegation, now he rejects Arsenal.
I assumed from your posts that you were a gooner.

Either way it's nonsense, I can't stand the guy but I give him credit for showing loyalty to the club where he's made a name for himself.

The idea that players have some kind of almost obligation to jump when bigger clubs come calling is ridiculous.

Zhadow

Kudos for Vardy. Didn't expect that. Glad to see that there is still some loyalty in the game.

And of course it is hilarious that he snubbed Arsenal. :lol:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You seem to forget he is playing for the Champions of England.

And that ain't us or any of the other big teams.
Oh wow

2 seasons ago he was fighting off relegation and how good did it fair with last years champions Chelsea ? If you cant see how quickly these things turn and twist...

Arsenal at the very least is a stable top club. As good a move as he could have hoped for at age 29.

Well see how things turn out but I think this is something hell end up regretting.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I assumed from your posts that you were a gooner.

Either way it's nonsense, I can't stand the guy but I give him credit for showing loyalty to the club where he's made a name for himself.

The idea that players have some kind of almost obligation to jump when bigger clubs come calling is ridiculous.
He has no obligation obviously nor should there be any obligation to stay at Leicester.

It is his decision, I just find it an extraordinarily weird one, that is all.

I would have tought a 29 year old english player that never got further than Leicester in his career, would jump for a move to Arsenal.

It is a weird decision from Vardy, a big coup for Leicester and embarrasing for Arsenal.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Oh wow

2 seasons ago he was fighting off relegation and how good did it fair with last years champions Chelsea ? If you cant see how quickly these things turn and twist...

Arsenal at the very least is a stable top club. As good a move as he could have hoped for at age 29.

Well see how things turn out but I think this is something hell end up regretting.
He was part of the greatest sporting achievement of the century with that team and will be considered a hero in the city for the rest of his life. He's part of something far more special than Arsenal have been for the last decade. I understand his decision.

mintsnake4

I think he's right to stay with Leicester. The other night for England highlighted his limitations as a footballer. If he is unable to get in behind the opposition, he becomes very limited and struggles to affect the game. Although Arsenal can counter attack, a lot of their play is through possession so I think he would struggle in a lot of the games throughout the season - whereas now that he's staying with Leicester, we already know their style and what he can bring to their team so I think it was the best outcome for both parties tbh.

Mancunia_Religion

That's quite a statement. I'm absolutely delighted he snubbed them :p They've been desperate for a world class striker for years now and they won't get one this window either. Long may it continue.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
That's quite a statement. I'm absolutely delighted he snubbed them :p They've been desperate for a world class striker for years now and they won't get one this window either. Long may it continue.
Vardy isn't world class, and if anything- this increases their chances.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Vardy isn't world class, and if anything- this increases their chances.
Interesting to see if they will get someone else now or if they will stick with Giroud.

If they end up getting Morata or Lukaku, they will be happy Vardy snubbed them.

SomeRandomPerson

Right Ozil has a CL winners medal, a world cup winners medal, la liga medal

Same goes for Sanchez who has CL medals, copa america medal, la liga medals

What is your point ?
I would like to take this moment to point out that neither Ozil nor Sanchez have Champions League medals and both have the same number of league medals as Vardy : one. As for the Copa America and the World Cup, they won them with their national teams and they have no bearing on their success at Arsenal nor would Vardy joining Arsenal make England favourites for any future tournaments. Leicester and Vardy achieved something incredible last season, he's probably getting a contract financially very similar to what he would've gotten at Arsenal and if Leicester can keep the band together there is no reason they can't add to their medal hauls.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get the negativity - it's nice to see someone turn down a move to a "bigger" club for once, and frankly, it's Arsenal. As terrible as we have been Arsenal have challenged for the title less than we did in the past decade! Coupled with the fact they may not play to his strengths, or if they do, it's likely to be at best one of two equal plans (ie, Vardy might only play half the games), and you can see why he made the decision. He's in a good team, with people he likes, why not stay?

Of course if someone tempts him with bigger money I'm going to look silly.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I would like to take this moment to point out that neither Ozil nor Sanchez have Champions League medals and both have the same number of league medals as Vardy : one. As for the Copa America and the World Cup, they won them with their national teams and they have no bearing on their success at Arsenal nor would Vardy joining Arsenal make England favourites for any future tournaments. Leicester and Vardy achieved something incredible last season, he's probably getting a contract financially very similar to what he would've gotten at Arsenal and if Leicester can keep the band together there is no reason they can't add to their medal hauls.
Seems you are right Sanchez didnt won CL at Barca either. I made some wrong assumptions.

mu4c_20le

Just had a peek over at Arsenal Mania, seems like they were dead cert he was going to sign and were really excited about it. Personally I think he adds something different than their current options, would have been a very useful addition.

Distracted Steward

At face value, this is a minor coup for Leicester City. To retain last season's standout striker despite a serious effort by an established Premier League power is huge for them. It's going to be harder keeping together the squad long enough to retool and consolidate than it was to win the title.

They still might get picked clean, but this is a huge first step for them towards the future.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Just had a peek over at Arsenal Mania, seems like they were dead cert he was going to sign and were really excited about it. Personally I think he adds something different than their current options, would have been a very useful addition.
It's debatable but I reckon Vardy would score more goals at Arsenal than that donkey Giroud.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Going to Arsenal,would have stopped his short career stone dead in its tracks.

We all know this, he knows this.

While the appeal of a big club is hard to resist, he is obviously bright enough to see h would have been spending most of his contract sat on the bench.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I couldn't stand Vardy but now I respect him much more. You hardly ever see loyalty like this (whether warranted or not) but it's lovely to see him giving back to the club that gave him his shot.

He probably won't win the league with Leicester or the UCL but he wouldn't have won it with Arsenal either. Going out of the UCL whilst playing for Leicester will still be historic, a team like that will never forget that experience and at his age (plus the way he plays), he only has a few top years left in him so I doubt he'll worry too much about the future as long as he gets a decent wage.

Good on him.

Distracted Steward

...Ideally wanted someone better...
What do you want?! It's been a long time since Arsenal had a striker do remotely what Vardy did last season. 29 year old late-comer with only one top class season is a far better option than currently on the Arsenal books.

"Who cares what color the cat is as long as it catches mice."
As I said, it shows that he isnt ambitious and scarred of taking his chance at the top level.

He prefers to be a big fish in a small pool rather than try his chance as a small fish in a big pool.

He chose the easy, safe option that shows he has zero ambition as player. Which might also explain why he is only surfacing on age 29 at the highest level.
This is either trolling or the single worst post I've seen on the 'Caf. I would struggle to fathom as much garbage as you managed to cram in that bid of drivel.
...He would have struggled at Arsenal, mainly because their style doesn't match his...
Could you see him bringing pace and intent to them like Sanchez has? Sanchez has a more versatile skill set and more pedigree, but I could see both of them on the pitch wrecking havoc. It'd give them something they've only had in spurts out of Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Both Vardy and Sanchez can interchange well and provide a goal threat with plenty of work rate.

Moot point though. Arsenal couldn't get him, thankfully.
...If he is unable to get in behind the opposition, he becomes very limited and struggles to affect the game.
There is truth to this. He's best exploiting vast space with his speed and intent, but I think know that comment underestimates his abilities. He's been surprisingly canny and still has a notable influence on matches outside of running in behind. His ability to harass defenses playing the ball out of the back would be really useful to a side like Arsenal with so many technicians than can make good use of a ball won high.
Personally I think he adds something different than their current options, would have been a very useful addition.
Agreed. I'm not sure he's altogether dissimilar to Sanchez, but I get your point.

Alonzo

Seems you are right Sanchez didnt won CL at Barca either. I made some wrong assumptions.
Haha, facts are like trolling cryptonite!

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Did not expect this news, but I commend him for having a bit of loyalty to Leicester. Leaving for a bigger club isn't always what it's cracked up to be - you could find yourself not playing or playing in a system that doesn't suit your game. And he'd be leaving the adulation of the Leicester fans for Arsenal's infamous mob of whingers.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
He was world class last season. Not many strikers out there that are available that can score 20+ goals if any. How is having less targets a good thing?
I'd disagree that Vardy had a world class season because a good handful of strikers had better seasons.
I meant it *increases their chances of getting a world class striker because Wenger would, at most, buy just one.

Lostie007

He'll regret this. Complete waster. Can't stand him. He makes Leicester City dislikable.

Why are Leicester managing to keep their best players? I thought there best players was going to get cherry picked by top clubs!? or will that only happen when they don't get Europe next season..

RyRoc

It's a blow for us because of the price and type of player he was £20 million would have been a good deal and allow us to strengthen other areas. Whilst being far from perfect Vardy would have allowed us to counter attack more and I was actually looking forward to seeing how he does here and even the potential of having him and Giroud up top when chasing games.

The massive headache this has given us is the real lack of forwards in the market, there really is very few. What Arsene does next is huge I think because I'm almost certain that he brings someone in, I think the injury to Welbeck has forced his hand because there was even pressure to bring in a new forward before the injury.

Question is do we significantly overpay for someone like Morata or Lukaka and even if we do there's no guarantee he comes or do we gamble with a couple of young talented strikers from Ligue 1 like Lacazette. Although I get the feeling if Wenger wanted a forward from the french league he would of done it.

As for Vardy I do admire his loyalty to an extent (Lets not forget he got himself a massive new pay rise from this despite signing a new deal in February) but I have my doubts about his mentality. After the career he's had I thought one last challenge at a big club would have been something he'd of relished.

RC89

Strange but respectable move from Vardy. Regardless of the fact he'd win feck all at Arsenal, usually a player of his age would want one final big wage.
He probably got it tbf. Arsenal were never going to make him one of their best paid players and it sounds like he'll be on a good contract with Leicester now. Financially, I imagine he won't be much worse off.

madRedDevil07

It's a massive blow for Arsenal. In this world , it is very hard to find a good goalscorer with 20 mil. price tag and they are not going to get a better striker than Vardy without spending 40+ millions. Now the big question is stubborn Arsene going to spend that much amount of money on a striker which would take the spending spree for this summer to 70 + millions or would he trust Giroud to lead the line. If he chooses the later option i think they won't have a chance at the title.
As for Vardy it is a wise decision. He can play in all CL + PL matches as the main striker which would not have been the case at Arsenal. He needs game time to boost his chances of playing in the WC for England as well as getting a even better offer next summer.