View full 2024-25 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
So meek. For all his faults Rashford at least chases if a long ball is punted out towards him. Sancho doesn't even do that. Zero intensity to his game. Will go on a silky run for 5-10 yards before doing feck all with it. That's like the summary of 90% of his time with us. Take the £40m from PSG and don't look back. We won't miss him one bit. His lack of intensity is not suited to playing in the PL at all.

Reading the posts seems like he was meh again. Nothing surprising there. Would be really great if we can sell him for 30-40 million and end the story. Also his profile pics on social media are him in Dortmund shirt, still. I know I'm looking for reasons to hate him at this point but his huge wages and the whole situation really annoy me.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of the summer transfer business is Sancho still being here.

He'd be the one who could leave, raise decent funds and we wouldn't even feel it.

But no serious talk of him going. Instead its AWB for £15 million who will cost more to replace.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of the summer transfer business is Sancho still being here.

He'd be the one who could leave, raise decent funds and we wouldn't even feel it.

But no serious talk of him going. Instead its AWB for £15 million who will cost more to replace.

Agreed. Season is 2 weeks out and I’m still forgetting that Sancho is an option for us as I just don’t see him making an impact.

We should be doing everything to get rid of him. Pointless player, and will have a meltdown at some point this season. He's just a waste of a squad place and a ton of wages right now.

We should be doing everything to get rid of him. Pointless player, and will have a meltdown at some point this season. He's just a waste of a squad place and a ton of wages right now.

Realistically, what more can we be doing?
For all Dortmund's posturing on Twitter, they daren't get close to a fee that would be remotely acceptable. And their coverage of his (okay-ish?) performances in the CL has hardly persuaded others to come in for him. PSG have him on a list of possible targets but around 3rd or 4th it sounds like.

We have brought him back in rather than banish him so as to try and at least give the impression he might play and have an impact next season. And the manager and player have professionally agreed to get on with things. I genuinely don't know what else we could do to try and facilitate a move for him?

I'd be very interested in seeing him play on the right and Amad taking up the false 9 role in the next game. Hopefully with Rashford on the left and Mount in the 10. Prefer Sancho on the right and Amad can play centrally better.

Honestly, I think he's been looking quite good so far this preseason, and better for each game. In my opinion, he's double the player Antony is, and the latter is the one we should seek to get rid of. I doubt we'll spend big on a new winger, and I'd be more than happy to go into the season with Rashford, Amad, Garnacho and Sancho as our options on the wings.

Honestly, I think he's been looking quite good so far this preseason, and better for each game. In my opinion, he's double the player Antony is, and the latter is the one we should seek to get rid of. I doubt we'll spend big on a new winger, and I'd be more than happy to go into the season with Rashford, Amad, Garnacho and Sancho as our options on the wings.
He's always been that. Some people here just didn't wanna accept it.

If we have to keep one, Sancho clearly. He is not a bad player but like Martial, if you lack the right mentality, you will not become a top player

If we have to keep one, Sancho clearly. He is not a bad player but like Martial, if you lack the right mentality, you will not become a top player
Martial was much better than him both in a football sense and mentally. When he was fit he tended to be good. Sancho is fit but mostly useless.

he's basically impossible to sell becuase of his wages. The only chance is some saudi team having intrest in him but it doesn't sound like that's happening

he's basically impossible to sell becuase of his wages. The only chance is some saudi team having intrest in him but it doesn't sound like that's happening

Yeah. Also transfer value. He's potentially worth a lot more than he has shown at United.

I think the best hope, and possibly the reason for his return to the squad, is that he puts in a few noteworthy performances which demonstrate what he can do, to convince a buying club to make an offer that would be financially viable for United and for Sancho. La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A and Bundesliga all good options for him but not many clubs who could afford him (and those who could would be rightfully wary given his underperformance since moving here). So by returning to the squad, perhaps the agreement between club and player is that it will demonstrate to buyers that he and the club aren't necessarily going to accept lowball offers (wages and transfer fee).

Martial was much better than him both in a football sense and mentally. When he was fit he tended to be good. Sancho is fit but mostly useless.
Yeah, this is why he had unsuccessful loans and we let him go on a free. Martial initially was hugely talented but then it went only downhill, both football and mentality wise

Yeah, this is why he had unsuccessful loans and we let him go on a free. Martial initially was hugely talented but then it went only downhill, both football and mentality wise
He was levels above Sancho let’s not take the piss.

He looked very good last pre season too, we all know what happened after.

An often overlooked part of Martial's decline is his life off the pitch. He's an absolute scumbag.

When was that? At BVB Sancho also looked promising
The two seasons when he was United's top scorer and the periods under Mourinho when he was our best forward despite being hated by the manager. I don't even predict Sancho matching at United Martial's contributions in Ten Hag's first season and the latter was injured for most of it.

Martial's decline including his one bad loan started after his injuries.

Sancho leaving or not is not even related to AWB. AWB is no where near good enough, needs replacing and Mazraoui is far better while costing an almost identical amount to what AWB will be sold for anyway.

Not sure what raising funds for other areas has to do with AWB leaving.

I think people mean he has a higher ceiling than Antony which is not disputed but they have the same amount of games played for United and have almost identical stats in terms of goals and assists (I think Sancho has one more assist or something like that, it's ridiculously close and unimpressive).

Both have been very poor signings, Antony seems to get a bit more stick though.

I think he could come in useful as an option as a false 9 this season.

Not £300k a week useful, but still..

Sancho leaving or not is not even related to AWB. AWB is no where near good enough, needs replacing and Mazraoui is far better while costing an almost identical amount to what AWB will be sold for anyway.

Not sure what raising funds for other areas has to do with AWB leaving.

Well we have two fullbacks that can be relied upon(Dalot and AWB). So selling one of them to raise funds seems a shame when we have a wide player doing nothing who could bring us in £40 million.

Especially when that fullback needs a replacement and the potential replacement is very much unreliable.

When was that? At BVB Sancho also looked promising
In a Utd shirt it not even close. In his best spells at Utd Martial was our best attacking player and world class on his day. We have literally seen nothing like that of Sancho in a Utd shirt.

The insane deal he signed with Man Utd, mentally he’s already retired, he’s won, he’s over the finish line, he’s achieved everything he wanted to achieve, which was to have so much money he never needed to do anything or listen to anyone again.

I think people mean he has a higher ceiling than Antony which is not disputed but they have the same amount of games played for United and have almost identical stats in terms of goals and assists (I think Sancho has one more assist or something like that, it's ridiculously close and unimpressive).

Both have been very poor signings, Antony seems to get a bit more stick though.
The thing with Antony, which is really an indictment on Sancho, is that most of the time he beats his man and gets into dangerous positions but he lacks the intelligence and the requisite variety in his play to do much more than cutting in and shooting. Physically and skill wise Antony has shown much more, maybe under different coaches he can be convinced to think and act differently.

Whereas Sancho doesn't have intensity and hunger in his game to compete even in situations that favour him 60-40. Without the intensity he can't really trouble anyone in this league. It's sad to say that there is much more material to work with on Antony than on Sancho, all he has going is his BVB reputation from four years ago.

Well we have two fullbacks that can be relied upon(Dalot and AWB). So selling one of them to raise funds seems a shame when we have a wide player doing nothing who could bring us in £40 million.

Especially when that fullback needs a replacement and the potential replacement is very much unreliable.

Firstly, AWB can not be relied on, he is not good enough so is being replaced with a better player. AWB missed more games due to injury than Mazraoui last season, so how is the replacement more unreliable?

Secondly, selling him for 15 - 20m means recording 15 - 20m on the books towards FFP, and buying Mazraoui for 20m spread across 5 yearms means 4m out this year, giving a 16m profit on the books for FFP and raising funds for others.

So the club are replacing him for a better player and also raising funds. So it is a win win.

Selling him is not in any way related to Sancho, as a club is willing to buy AWB, if no club wants to buy Sancho then what do you expect United to do?

The insane deal he signed with Man Utd, mentally he’s already retired, he’s won, he’s over the finish line, he’s achieved everything he wanted to achieve, which was to have so much money he never needed to do anything or listen to anyone again.
I’m not in the game so there’s probably a valid reason the following cannot work but it feels like contracts in general should involve more incentives. Say you cap the basic wage at £100k but then you can offer more through things such as scoring, assisting, starting and winning. Seems pointless offering £300k-ish per week just for being there

I’m not in the game so there’s probably a valid reason the following cannot work but it feels like contracts in general should involve more incentives. Say you cap the basic wage at £100k but then you can offer more through things such as scoring, assisting, starting and winning. Seems pointless offering £300k-ish per week just for being there

Totally agree. Or indeed insane bonuses for winning trophies, reaching finals, etc. Sad though. Watching the Olympics reaffirms how much I value people who compete simply to win, and how much it means to people when they have that intrinsic motivation.

Firstly, AWB can not be relied on, he is not good enough so is being replaced with a better player. AWB missed more games due to injury than Mazraoui last season, so how is the replacement more unreliable?

Secondly, selling him for 15 - 20m means recording 15 - 20m on the books towards FFP, and buying Mazraoui for 20m spread across 5 yearms means 4m out this year, giving a 16m profit on the books for FFP and raising funds for others.

So the club are replacing him for a better player and also raising funds. So it is a win win.

Selling him is not in any way related to Sancho, as a club is willing to buy AWB, if no club wants to buy Sancho then what do you expect United to do?
Where did I say he was more unreliable than AWB? Highlight where I did so.

Just pointing out he has a pretty bad injury record which if you go beyond just last season is worse than AWB. Seems to me after a defensive injury crisis the last thing we need to do is sign an injury prone player.

It's an overall squad rebuilding picture. Sure eventually AWB can and should be replaced.

My point is simply the better way should be to let Sancho go first. He's way less meaningful to us than AWB. Doesn't need replacing as such.

But obviously as you say, not much the club can do if the player is happy to be a bench player and collect the wage.

Totally agree. Or indeed insane bonuses for winning trophies, reaching finals, etc. Sad though. Watching the Olympics reaffirms how much I value people who compete simply to win, and how much it means to people when they have that intrinsic motivation.
A lot of that motivation will be financial as well, though.

People competing in individual sports need to succeed in order to win prize money, larger sponsorship / advertising deals, etc.

The media love to romanticise the Olympians as it's the main way to get people invested for a couple of weeks every 4 years in sports and competitors they don't follow for 99.9% of the time.

But players in team sports like Football also have to invest huge amount of commitment and effort and sacrifices into acheiveing what they do - especially to get to, and stay at, the top of their sports.

It's just that it's become fashionable in the media to be critical and sneery of 'over paid footballers' while glorifying and romanticising the Olympic competitors.

Sancho is more composed, less erratic and maybe less frustrating than Antony, but Antony adds a lot more to the team especially defensively and being able to keep possession in tight spaces. Also better in terms of positioning.

Antony keeps possession in tight spaces but gives it away with huge spaces and time...

A lot of that motivation will be financial as well, though.

People competing in individual sports need to succeed in order to win prize money, larger sponsorship / advertising deals, etc.

The media love to romanticise the Olympians as it's the main way to get people invested for a couple of weeks every 4 years in sports and competitors they don't follow for 99.9% of the time.

But players in team sports like Football also have to invest huge amount of commitment and effort and sacrifices into acheiveing what they do - especially to get to, and stay at, the top of their sports.

It's just that it's become fashionable in the media to be critical and sneery of 'over paid footballers' while glorifying and romanticising the Olympic competitors.
Do you think Sancho has?

Do you think Sancho has?
Maybe. Maybe not. It certainly hasn't been overly evident during his time with United. Though I'm sure it doesn't apply to every Olympian either.

I was responding to what was a more general point about Footballers wages and Olympians, rather than sticking up for Sancho in particular.

This Sancho 9 thing looks quite unsustainable to me, I hope it is not Ten Hag’s preferred option to start the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.