Jack Grealish | Man City

He would have been good here. Grealish on the left, Sancho on the right :drool:

But glad we went with Sancho.

He's a brilliant player, don't think the City move was right for him.

Exactly. It was a pretty obvious poor fit as well. City play slick passing football and individual skill is used sparingly to make space or break through a gap but quality of movement and passing accuracy is king. They then bought one of the most individualistic dribblers in the league and tried to shoe horn him in.

Exactly. It was a pretty obvious poor fit as well. City play slick passing football and individual skill is used sparingly to make space or break through a gap but quality of movement and passing accuracy is king. They then bought one of the most individualistic dribblers in the league and tried to shoe horn him in.
Yeah, but no top level team will accommodate an entire XI around them for Grealish. He has a few elite traits - ball carrying, winning fouls, and his chance creation probably scrapes that level, but the rest of his game isn't particularly amazing.

Fundamentally, he's a left winger who has never scored more than 8 goals in a season. He has only hit double figures in assists (dead on 10 as well) once, and that was last season.

As much as I love Sancho, it definitely feels like Sancho fits more the Guardiola Man City style and Grealish would probably suit United better.

Saying that I think Sancho will still be a great player here but just talking stylistically.
Did we have a style under Ole? We sign ETH and all of a sudden our style changes. Sancho played for a team that plays somewhat similar to the way we try to play at the moment.

Did we have a style under Ole? We sign ETH and all of a sudden our style changes. Sancho played for a team that plays somewhat similar to the way we try to play at the moment.

That's the point for me, I think Grealish is a bit more of a maverick which is why he would work in a Ole system where we look for individuals who can provide a moment in a game.

On the contrary Sancho works better in a system because he needs players on his wavelength which is partially why we have seen a bit improvement since RR has come in and implemented something of a system.

The main difference with people comparing Grealish to Sancho is that one is 5 years younger than the other.

Sancho was always a better fit than Grealish for us. We lacked that a Sancho type player.

Unfrotunately, City bought into the Grealish hype, like we have done with alot of players in the past.

So far, so...OK. The hype from some around Grealish last summer was absolutely insane. He was a good player. He still is. But some were carrying on like he was on the cusp of winning the Ballon D'or.

I think I've read, Freds numbers are better than Grealish. He's a top player, has he gone to the right club though, and he's injured again.

You won't hear about it because Manchester City are one of the best on the planet and are winning trophies for fun.

Whilst we are a fecking mess. People were celebrating the Ronaldo signing like we had beaten City to a trophy ffs.

If Grealish doesn't work out...they are still winning 2 trophies a season. Whilst we are scrapping for 4th being outplayed by Southampton and Brighton.

It's hardly rocket science

Hardly. The result/performance would have more than likely been the same with Sterling in his place.
I'm not sure. His ability to bring the ball forward under high pressure is better than any other player we have and I was really impressed with how involved he was in pretty much everything we did. He still has lots of work to do, but he's starting to look a player that belongs in this team.

I'm not sure. His ability to bring the ball forward under high pressure is better than any other player we have and I was really impressed with how involved he was in pretty much everything we did. He still has lots of work to do, but he's starting to look a player that belongs in this team.

The problem is though, that as a forward/attacking midfielder, he is not better than KDB, Foden, Bernardo, Mahrez yet cost £100m. He doesn't really offer much more than what City already have and doesn't improve them enough to warrant paying £100m.

The problem is though, that as a forward/attacking midfielder, he is not better than KDB, Foden, Bernardo, Mahrez yet cost £100m. He needs to do more and bring more to the team on a consistent basis.
I agree. And I'm confident he will.

The problem is though, that as a forward/attacking midfielder, he is not better than KDB, Foden, Bernardo, Mahrez yet cost £100m. He doesn't really offer much more than what City already have and doesn't improve them enough to warrant paying £100m.

Ah it's not their fault they are well stacked. When it comes to jipping millions on players that don't improve your squad, we should mostly just avoid the conversation.

Ah it's not their fault they are well stacked. When it comes to jipping millions on players that don't improve your squad, we should mostly just avoid the conversation.

This isn’t about them being stacked. It’s more to do with them (and Newcastle?) being the only teams who can, and will, pay £100mil for what is essentially a squad player. In that respect, it’s a huge advantage over the rest of the league.

Chelsea and United, will splurge that for a key player. If they hit, great, if they miss, it’s egg on our face. For city, if Grealish ends up being moved on for not performing then no one will bat an eyelid.

This isn’t about them being stacked. It’s more to do with them (and Newcastle?) being the only teams who can, and will, pay £100mil for what is essentially a squad player. In that respect, it’s a huge advantage over the rest of the league.

Chelsea and United, will splurge that for a key player. If they hit, great, if they miss, it’s egg on our face. For city, if Grealish ends up being moved on for not performing then no one will bat an eyelid.

They have a budget and goals. Same as us. Their budget is close to ours but their goals are way off from ours and that's just because they are better run.

We paid the guts of what they paid for Grealish on Sancho and he has only made 5 more appearances in a team that looks like it will finish 5th.

As for the moving on after not performing, again nobody comes near us for buying players and selling them on cheaply after not getting a tune out of them.

This reminds me of the scousers in the 90s saying we bought the league while they spend millions and bought 4th.