It's Coming Home watch 2024 - We go again in the USA!

England really needs better full backs and a controller in midfield.
Unpopular opinion. Trent is a weak link in midfield. Great passer, but no positional awareness and leaves Rice exposed to often. England would be better off with Mainoo and Rice, play Trent as FB or winger because also Bellingham and Foden are too positionally similar both want to be central, foden running with the ball and Bellingham making runs.

Unpopular opinion. Trent is a weak link in midfield. Great passer, but no positional awareness and leaves Rice exposed to often. England would be better off with Mainoo and Rice, play Trent as FB or winger because also Bellingham and Foden are too positionally similar both want to be central, foden running with the ball and Bellingham making runs.

Not unpopular… or it shouldn’t be.

TAA got caught on the half turn 3 times in that game, against a poor team.

A proper midfield will really expose him.

And as for Foden. He should be Jude’s backup. That’s it.

Get Shaw and a proper winger on the left to give us some balance and proper midfielder alongside rice (Wharton or Mainoo), and we’d look a different side

That’s not an unpopular opinion

I mean I’m Scottish, I have an English grandmother but I’d root for North Korea before England. I actually used to support the England national team until June 2012, when I was like “what the feck am I doing, supporting England instead of my home country” and began supporting Scotland like a normal Scottish human being.
I hope this Scottish guy makes some videos.

I think England have a great chance of winning this, as long as we avoid Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and France. We can win do it :+1:

Not unpopular… or it shouldn’t be.

TAA got caught on the half turn 3 times in that game, against a poor team.

A proper midfield will really expose him.

And as for Foden. He should be Jude’s backup. That’s it.

Get Shaw and a proper winger on the left to give us some balance and proper midfielder alongside rice (Wharton or Mainoo), and we’d look a different side
That’s not an unpopular opinion
Thought I was going insane when I mentioned. Was before he made the mistakes in the defensive half, and all I got was “can’t you see the passes his making” and a few minutes later he made the pass to Saka. I still maintained for a CM his runs were more like an attacking FB and as mentioned by @sammyhol against better opposition that would get exposed. Tbf i didn’t expect it to manifest in that very match.

Agree with everything. Except still undecided between Bellingham & Foden, I think both are absolute class in different ways with little to separate them. Who starts might be more about chemistry with the other players especially Kane or even the opposition’s weaknesses

Last edited:

This is just an observation. Or a fact. Definitely not an unpopular opinion.

The biggest obstacles to England getting home are the unreliable German public transport, the french striking, the trains in England obviously being cancelled due to a Nissan Leaf on the line and the replacement bus service falling into one of the massive potholes England is now a world leader in.

England are outmatched by stronger squads, but if properly managed may just get it done.

it's not unpopular. Trent has no business playing CM. playing RB and tucking in, isnt the same as playing as an out and out CM. we can get away with it against weak opposition, but against top midfield he's going to be found wanting.

mainoo, wharton and gallagher for me are all better options.

Thought I was going insane when I mentioned. Was before he made the mistakes in the defensive half, and all I got was “can’t you see the passes his making” and a few minutes later he made the pass to Saka. I still maintained for a CM his runs were more like an attacking FB and as mentioned by @sammyhol against better opposition that would get exposed. Tbf i didn’t expect it to manifest in that very match.

Agree with everything. Except still undecided between Bellingham & Foden, I think both are absolute class in different ways with little to separate them. Who starts might be more about chemistry with the other players especially Kane or even the opposition’s weaknesses

Foden and Bellingham are both world class in club football. Goal contributions are virtually identical and they have both had decorated seasons.

For me the clear difference is the ability to perform for England. Bellingham has shown on a few occasions now he is willing to be Englands main man and he showed it again tonight getting the winner. Bellingham should always the first choice on current England form. Foden should be benched, as he doesnt offer the same form for England and hes wasted on the left and ends up occupying bellingham and Kanes space.

Mainoo is positionally poor defensively as well. The problems were in possession, not out of it. Think the TAA in midfield experiment is done with
For me the clear difference is the ability to perform for England. Bellingham has shown on a few occasions now he is willing to be Englands main man and he showed it again tonight getting the winner. Bellingham should always the first choice on current England form. Foden should be benched, as he doesnt offer the same form for England and hes wasted on the left and ends up occupying bellingham and Kanes space.
Foden spent his whole career playing for Guardiola at City. He's basically learned to play for City. England isn't City, he can't be a cog in the machine there. England - like nearly every NT - ask their players to figure things out on their own, and Jude has been doing that his whole career, whereas Foden has never had to do it for club and he just doesn't seem to have a very high football IQ, at least not a particularly adaptive one

How do you have literally an entire population of people to choose from and end up picking a defender in midfield?

Trippier was pretty garbage too I thought. Well not garbage just average. Everything he does looks so unassured.

Defence is rubbish. Midfield didn't exist with Trent being Trent and Rice seeming to think he's good enough that he can just play hoe around wherever he wants for England (he isn't).

Attack you only need half of them to turn up amd Saka/Bellingham did, but that won't bail you out against the better teams. Special mention for Foden who looked like prime Bebe.

In summary:
a) It isn't coming home

Last edited:
One world Cup and two world wars England

Bellingham should be in over Foden for me. Foden is one hell of a player for city, but the way England set up is far away from city, and he has never looked the same for England, which is fair enough. On the other hand, Bellingham can do what he does best, which is come up with a moment of brilliance to win you a game, which is transferable between Real and England

There are many, many valid reasons for people to dislike England, same with many other countries. But for me it's very closed minded and silly if you think about it. To dislike a whole country, millions of people is absurd. Surely sense prevails when it comes to the England national team, which is composed of 26 lads who kick a ball around, some of which play for the the club you support...

If you can't see past that because technically they are representing a country which you hate, then how can you support a football club that is based in said country?

He's hyped for the accuracy of his passes but that's all he's got really. If he didn't have exceptional passing ability he wouldn't be anywhere near the Liverpool team, never mind England. It's a good attribute to have but he's a liability against decent teams.

There are many, many valid reasons for people to dislike England, same with many other countries. But for me it's very closed minded and silly if you think about it. To dislike a whole country, millions of people is absurd. Surely sense prevails when it comes to the England national team, which is composed of 26 lads who kick a ball around, some of which play for the the club you support...

If you can't see past that because technically they are representing a country which you hate, then how can you support a football club that is based in said country?

most are jealous of our storied history, our significance on the world stage compared to theirs, despite us having fractions of the earthly gifts they were afforded via natural resource, climate or populace. most cannot fathom how such a seemingly insignificant island, nowt more than a postage stamp on the continent, filled with marshy bog land and thick forest could conquer the known world, a world vastly superior in every other metric except the grit and determination of its people. we are simply better. they don’t understand how. fear of the unknown drives their hatred. a longing to be one of us, their secret shame.

most are jealous of our storied history, our significance on the world stage compared to theirs, despite us having fractions of the earthly gifts they were afforded via natural resource, climate or populace. most cannot fathom how such a seemingly insignificant island, nowt more than a postage stamp on the continent, filled with marshy bog land and thick forest could conquer the known world, a world vastly superior in every other metric except the grit and determination of its people. we are simply better. they don’t understand how. fear of the unknown drives their hatred. a longing to be one of us, their secret shame.
Bravo :lol:

Starting a bit early, aren't we. Usually this is reserved for the "Let's all laugh at England" thread.

So Southgate brought Trent into the team to control the game, we ended up being controlled after 20 mins by Serbia when they realised England are scared to attack.

England are outmatched by stronger squads, but if properly managed may just get it done.

No they’re not, they have one of the strongest squads. They have the worst manager by miles, that’s the problem.

You forgot to explain why you drive in the wrong side of the road

A beautiful post. I actually shed a tear reading that, especially the last paragraph.

Yes it was "grit and determination" that colonised other nations and created a legacy of slavery and inventing concentration camps as well as bringing disease and famine to their doorsteps.

Who wouldn't long to be part of that?

You forgot to explain why you drive in the wrong side of the road.

romans invented the road and they rode to the left. as honourable people, we steadfastly follow that tradition. though i wouldn’t expect mouth-breathing foreigners to understand concepts such as duty and honour.

A beautiful post. I actually shed a tear reading that, especially the last paragraph.

prose comes naturally to the english, which is why we have some many great writers; shelley, keates, dickens, shakespeare, chaucer, that one that did the witcher.

Yes it was "grit and determination" that colonised other nations and created a legacy of slavery and inventing concentration camps as well as bringing disease and famine to their doorsteps.

Who wouldn't long to be part of that?

the countless ones that tried it but weren’t as good at it.

romans invented the road and they rode to the left. as honourable people, we steadfastly follow that tradition. though i wouldn’t expect mouth-breathing foreigners to understand concepts such as duty and honour.

prose comes naturally to the english, which is why we have some many great writers; shelley, keates, dickens, shakespeare, chaucer, that one that did the witcher.

the countless ones that tried it but weren’t as good at it.
Didn't realize Poland is now part of England?

:lol:

You forget the world class ability to go abroad and get drunk everyday, fight over beach towels and speak multiple forin languages by speaking slowly and louder