Is Southgate underrated by the CAF?

He’s done an incredible job and some people genuinely think anyone can do what he has done.

So Yes, massively underrated

So if Gareth has worked out tournament football and it isnt about playing well in most of the matches are Spain going to play poorly in the final and England will win to show how naive they are?

What's his Nation's League record?

First one: 2 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss (2 losses if we count losing in ET). Both non-group matches went to ET.

Second one: Placed 3rd in group of 4. Above Iceland, below Belgium and Denmark. Record against Belgium and Denmark was 1W - 1D - 2L

Third one: Relegated in a group of 4. 0W - 3D - 3L against Italy, Germany and Hungary.

This is why I don't rate him. England's record against teams that are close to them in ranking is abyssmal.

What's his Nation's League record?

First one: 2 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss (2 losses if we count losing in ET). Both non-group matches went to ET.

Second one: Placed 3rd in group of 4. Above Iceland, below Belgium and Denmark. Record against Belgium and Denmark was 1W - 1D - 2L

Third one: Relegated in a group of 4. 0W - 3D - 3L against Italy, Germany and Hungary.

This is why I don't rate him. England's record against teams that are close to them in ranking is abyssmal.

Thank feck you are here. A lot of talk about Euros and World Cup but we rightly forget that Nations League.

Thank feck you are here. A lot of talk about Euros and World Cup but we rightly forget that Nations League.

Well it puts into perspective what we think/know about him. When he comes up against higher ranked teams he loses more often than not. That's also been true at the Euros and World Cup.

It also highlights that if he came up against more difficult opponents on more occasions in those Euro/WC runs he likely wouldn't have got to semi-finals or finals. He did however, and still lost, because he struggles incredibly against better opponents.

I don't rate Southgate much, especially tactically, and I think this has been his worst tournament from that perspective, but I do feel the balance between criticising players and manager is often too lopsided.

Well it puts into perspective what we think/know about him. When he comes up against higher ranked teams he loses more often than not. That's also been true at the Euros and World Cup.

It also highlights that if he came up against more difficult opponents on more occasions in those Euro/WC runs he likely wouldn't have got to semi-finals or finals. He did however, and still lost, because he struggles incredibly against better opponents.
You had 3D 1L against Germany and Italy and 2L to Hungary. In the Nations League that happened the same year as the WC. The NL England visibly didn't care to play(Germany also). And the WC where Germany went out at the group stage and England went out to France, playing them even and missing a penalty to send the game to ET...

You had 3D 1L against Germany and Italy and 2L to Hungary. In the Nations League that happened the same year as the WC. The NL England visibly didn't care to play(Germany also). And the WC where Germany went out at the group stage and England went out to France, playing them even and missing a penalty to send the game to ET...
I don't support England. Instead of lose, I should have said underperform perhaps if you want to be picky, but the fact remains, his record against higher ranked teams/historically big nations is dire.