Ipswich Town | Can they stay up?

I don't think they can stay up. That was such a weird game - Ipswich actually moved the ball about really well, but then as soon as they had an opening they had nothing to actually threaten Liverpool with. Not enough pace, passing wasn't incisive enough and worryingly for them they looked like no threat from set pieces too.

I was looking at the two teams yesterday, the thing that struck out to me was how much bigger the Liverpool team looked. Ipswich look too small - they won't have much luck from set pieces and I don't think they'll have a reliable way of getting a goal.

I looked at their squad because of your post. They have three centre and two midfielders who are 6' 2" or taller. Even up front, they have a few who are 6' 1" or thereabouts.

I didn't watch the Liverpool match, but I would assume that Liverpool were better technically, physically, tactically, psychologically. This is still a League One team that is bolstered by loans and opportunistic signings relatively late in the window. If McKenna keeps them up he'll be Manager of the Year.

Maybe because they were very competitive against Liverpool in that first half.

They should have signed a lot of players on cheap from eastern europe, south america and africa, current unknown gems and future stars on cheap if they wanted to have future. They have not. So I think they fecked up and will pay for it

If they go down, we should send a cheeky 25 mil for Omari Hutchinson.

I actually think they've conducted their business very well. The expectations on them are to be relegated, no question. They've signed players on loan like Phillips and Johnson who will add PL experience but they're also assembling a team with practically the best young Championship players last season outside of Leeds and Leicester. Some good forward planning and safeguarding there and expect them to bounce a straight back up the season after with this squad if they do get relegated.

I don't think they can stay up. That was such a weird game - Ipswich actually moved the ball about really well, but then as soon as they had an opening they had nothing to actually threaten Liverpool with. Not enough pace, passing wasn't incisive enough and worryingly for them they looked like no threat from set pieces too.

I was looking at the two teams yesterday, the thing that struck out to me was how much bigger the Liverpool team looked. Ipswich look too small - they won't have much luck from set pieces and I don't think they'll have a reliable way of getting a goal.
They were by far the better team in the first half. Pressed so well forcing Pool into long balls, almost scored with a header that Allison fluffed, had a great break with Hutchinson which he should've done better with.
Still not sure if they will stay up, but I think from the 3 promoted they have the best chance.

Captain Obvious time, but it's such a different job for McKenna this season compared to the previous two.

A very different skillset needed to be managing a team at the top of the table than is what is likely to happen this. Granted, Ipswich weren't expected to be right up there last season either by many ahead of time but were in the end and it's safe to say it won't be happening this. Uncharted waters for him.

Might be extreme to say it, but in some ways Maresca has a less different task this year than he did last compared to what McKenna is facing.

McKenna doesn't necessarily have to change style of play, we've seen sides come up and do well when sticking to what they're good at. We've also seen them hopelessly flop. It can go both ways, as can trying to be more defensive. There's likely to be times whether he's pondering whether he should or shouldn't and it must be difficult for any newly promoted manager to decide the best course of action at different points in the season.