Ipswich Town | Can they stay up?

I think he'll be a decent player for them. This is a great chance for him to get his career back on track too.

I hope so but that was true of his loan move to West Ham also and yet he turned up out of condition and played like he simply could not be bothered. He has been giving off the vibes of someone who has made enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life and lacks the motivation and pride to push himself now he is set.

I hope so but that was true of his loan move to West Ham also and yet he turned up out of condition and played like he simply could not be bothered. He has been giving off the vibes of someone who has made enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life and lacks the motivation and pride to push himself now he is set.

Sure, I agree about his West Ham loan. However, I really rate McKenna, I cannot imagine he'd take him if he thought he couldn't get proper performances out of him. Funnily, McKenna is well off and comfortable, but has that drive to succeed. He might learn a thing playing under him.

I haven’t read the replies to this yet, so maybe I’m out of kilter. But I’m pretty damn happy. He’s not good enough for City, I think that’s clear. And you could make an argument that he isn’t good enough for any top 6 club. But we don’t need top 6 players, we need Premiership level players who can do a job. And central midfield has been a worry for me. Both our main defensive minded CMs, Morsy and Luongo, are 32, both played virtually every league match in the last two seasons. It’s a lot to expect them both to step up to a division where they will surely be under a sh@t ton more pressure than they have previously been. So I’m happy, but maybe let’s wait until we see a picture of him in training, looking slim and fit.

Any Ipswich fans on here? How's it feeling going into the game with us on Saturday?

Hey- I think we both know that a Liverpool win is by far the most likely outcome, but I do hold out some hope that a few players aren’t fully fit from having a late break after the Euros, and that Slot’s methods have not had time to fully gel. In that scenario I think we have a chance, much like Brentford’s 2-0 win against Arsenal on the first game a couple of seasons ago. But that said, you’ve apparently looked very good during preseason. Of Liverpool play with maximum ability and effort then we can’t and won’t win, but if there’s a bit of complacency, a few players missing, and a new system to learn, we have a chance.
How are you feeling about it? It’s a bit of a no-win situation I’d say. No one really will give you credit if you win, but the press will be out in force if you don’t.

Being reported that Smodzics will be signing for Ipswich too. 33 goals in champ last season and not a striker! Very impressive but let's see if he can hack it a level up. Plugs the gap that Broadhead will be leaving though due to injury.

Think Ipswich have been extremely clever this transfer window. Brought in young talented players. They may not be able to stay up but they've built a squad much stronger than last season which will be more than capable of bouncing straight back into the EPL if they do get relegated. I like their forward thinking and contingency planning.

Looking forward to watching them as McKenna has them playing nice football.
Hopefully they recruit enough quality to stay up.

Hey- I think we both know that a Liverpool win is by far the most likely outcome, but I do hold out some hope that a few players aren’t fully fit from having a late break after the Euros, and that Slot’s methods have not had time to fully gel. In that scenario I think we have a chance, much like Brentford’s 2-0 win against Arsenal on the first game a couple of seasons ago. But that said, you’ve apparently looked very good during preseason. Of Liverpool play with maximum ability and effort then we can’t and won’t win, but if there’s a bit of complacency, a few players missing, and a new system to learn, we have a chance.
How are you feeling about it? It’s a bit of a no-win situation I’d say. No one really will give you credit if you win, but the press will be out in force if you don’t.
Thanks for your reply.

Considering how we've looked in pre-season (I know, pre-season means nothing), I should be confident but an early kick off away from home against a promoted side is a recipe for disaster. I think Szobozslai is a 50/50 for the game but we have no other injuries that I'm aware of. Fully fit squad.

Fun fact, no Liverpool manager in this century has won their first league game:

Benitez = 1-1 with Spurs
Hodgson = 1-1 with Arsenal
Dalglish = 2-1 loss at Blackpool
Rodgers = 3-0 defeat at West Brom
Klopp = 0-0 at Spurs

This has all the makings of our 2-2 draw at Fulham two years ago. They bullied us off the pitch as well. I think we're in better shape now but we'll see.

I think we'll win but it wouldn't shock me to see you score first. Expect it'll be a great atmosphere.

Think you can stay up? City away as your second game isn't ideal.

I don’t think they will stay up. But if anyone I hope they do.
Last time they were in the PL they were good the first season.

…….Plus their last PL defeat was against Liverpool.

If they managed to survive fairly comfortably (let's say 14th) what does that say about McKenna? Does he become one of the most sought after managers for top clubs or no?

Thanks for your reply.

Considering how we've looked in pre-season (I know, pre-season means nothing), I should be confident but an early kick off away from home against a promoted side is a recipe for disaster. I think Szobozslai is a 50/50 for the game but we have no other injuries that I'm aware of. Fully fit squad.

Fun fact, no Liverpool manager in this century has won their first league game:

Benitez = 1-1 with Spurs
Hodgson = 1-1 with Arsenal
Dalglish = 2-1 loss at Blackpool
Rodgers = 3-0 defeat at West Brom
Klopp = 0-0 at Spurs

This has all the makings of our 2-2 draw at Fulham two years ago. They bullied us off the pitch as well. I think we're in better shape now but we'll see.

I think we'll win but it wouldn't shock me to see you score first. Expect it'll be a great atmosphere.

Think you can stay up? City away as your second game isn't ideal.

I’m almost the worst person on this site to ask that question to, as it’s very difficult to be completely objective! We’ve got a chance. Everyone has a chance, but I’m in no way confident. Although we got, I think, 99 points in league one, and 97 in the championship, we had similar points totals but they were very different seasons. In league one we dominated everyone in terms of possession, territory, shots, xG etc. We were too good for that league. The championship was quite different. We struggled against teams with dynamic front players (Leeds and Southampton especially, but a few more too), and we weren’t overly difficult to take apart in defence. But we found a way to win when it mattered. We now have another huge step, and instead of meeting a team like Leeds twice a season we’ll do it 20-odd times, and I’d be lying if I said I was confident we’d deal with that enough.

Being reported that Smodzics will be signing for Ipswich too. 33 goals in champ last season and not a striker! Very impressive but let's see if he can hack it a level up. Plugs the gap that Broadhead will be leaving though due to injury.

Think Ipswich have been extremely clever this transfer window. Brought in young talented players. They may not be able to stay up but they've built a squad much stronger than last season which will be more than capable of bouncing straight back into the EPL if they do get relegated. I like their forward thinking and contingency planning.
Very interested to see how szmodics does. Late bloomer, recently in the Irish squad and have enjoyed watching him in a mediocre crew.

Szmodics, Delap and potentially Broja up to top. Can't forget the main man Conor Chaplin. Interesting front line for the new season

I feel like a lot of players they're signing are either unproven at a top league level / are players like Phillips or Broja that have stunk for a couple of years and require a bit of rehabilitation. Would be very surprised if they managed to stay up.

I haven’t read the replies to this yet, so maybe I’m out of kilter. But I’m pretty damn happy. He’s not good enough for City, I think that’s clear. And you could make an argument that he isn’t good enough for any top 6 club. But we don’t need top 6 players, we need Premiership level players who can do a job. And central midfield has been a worry for me. Both our main defensive minded CMs, Morsy and Luongo, are 32, both played virtually every league match in the last two seasons. It’s a lot to expect them both to step up to a division where they will surely be under a sh@t ton more pressure than they have previously been. So I’m happy, but maybe let’s wait until we see a picture of him in training, looking slim and fit.

Agreed. As long as he stays fit (I know it’s asking a lot) he’ll be an important addition to you.

If they managed to survive fairly comfortably (let's say 14th) what does that say about McKenna? Does he become one of the most sought after managers for top clubs or no?

Probably not for top clubs in Europe, but similarly to the most recent Brighton managers as well as Thomas Frank, he’d start to get linked to plenty of PL clubs looking for a new manager.

I know he kind of was this year but I’d expect that to happen much more and him maybe being more keen to move.

That being said if he keeps them up I’m confident he’d be willing to continue at the club.

Here's my hot take are you ready...?

McKenna to pull a masterclass this weekend and defeat Liverpool, cue mass hysteria on Merseyside.

Does it depend on how he keeps them up? If they stay up by the skin of their teeth, like on the last day season, would he still be as appealing as if he gets them finishing 11th?
Probably not for top clubs in Europe, but similarly to the most recent Brighton managers as well as Thomas Frank, he’d start to get linked to plenty of PL clubs looking for a new manager.

I know he kind of was this year but I’d expect that to happen much more and him maybe being more keen to move.

That being said if he keeps them up I’m confident he’d be willing to continue at the club.

Does it depend on how he keeps them up? If they stay up by the skin of their teeth, like on the last day season, would he still be as appealing as if he gets them finishing 11th?

It could but taking them from League One to Premier League in two years and then avoiding relegation, however it comes, would still make him a very sought-after manager. And rightly so.

Looking at their squad and considering all three promoted sides were relegated last season, even doing it with a margin of one goal would be seen as a job very well done, in my opinion.

Of course the other scenario you’re presenting would be a miracle and Ipswich could really struggle to keep him.

It could but taking them from League One to Premier League in two years and then avoiding relegation, however it comes, would still make him a very sought-after manager. And rightly so.

Looking at their squad and considering all three promoted sides were relegated last season, even doing it with a margin of one goal would be seen as a job very well done, in my opinion.

Of course the other scenario you’re presenting would be a miracle and Ipswich could really struggle to keep him.

Yeah pretty much agree. Bringing a team up from league one and keeping them in the PL, that will be a first and can't imagine it will be achieved again any time soon.

If he keeps them up, he will be sought after. But will have a bigger pool of clubs if so convincingly.

I feel like a lot of players they're signing are either unproven at a top league level / are players like Phillips or Broja that have stunk for a couple of years and require a bit of rehabilitation. Would be very surprised if they managed to stay up.
I think that's one the appealing aspects with McKenna. He's taken two 30 year old midfielders that no one really wanted and had given up on and turned Luongo and Morsy into a formidable double pivot for two successive promotions. If anyone can do it then I think he's the manager for player rehabilitation.

I think that's one the appealing aspects with McKenna. He's taken two 30 year old midfielders that no one really wanted and had given up on and turned Luongo and Morsy into a formidable double pivot for two successive promotions. If anyone can do it then I think he's the manager for player rehabilitation.
Perhaps but I just don't see it happening with Phillips or Broja. I think the former will be a liability.

Perhaps but I just don't see it happening with Phillips or Broja. I think the former will be a liability.
Perhaps. No idea what McKennas plan is for him? It's a loan deal with no clause to buy at the end of it so he could be used sparingly and to rest tired legs? The risk is pretty low in this case for the club. If he doesn't perform hen he simply just leaves during or after his loan spells. If he's a success then they will fight for him to stay or even offer to buy him outright. Not sure what's he's personality is like? Would he stink the dressing room out if he doesn't get his way?

Broja on the other hand, may be a good signing. A goal scoring striker is obviously a huge plus for any team but it's not really been Ipswich's focal point. They scored almost 200 goals in two seasons but the goals have been really spread out between the front four. He's never had a decent goals return anyway. I think McKenna looks for a presser and a runner in this position. Not sure if that's in Broja's armoury though?

Perhaps. No idea what McKennas plan is for him? It's a loan deal with no clause to buy at the end of it so he could be used sparingly and to rest tired legs? The risk is pretty low in this case for the club. If he doesn't perform hen he simply just leaves during or after his loan spells. If he's a success then they will fight for him to stay or even offer to buy him outright. Not sure what's he's personality is like? Would he stink the dressing room out if he doesn't get his way?

Broja on the other hand, may be a good signing. A goal scoring striker is obviously a huge plus for any team but it's not really been Ipswich's focal point. They scored almost 200 goals in two seasons but the goals have been really spread out between the front four. He's never had a decent goals return anyway. I think McKenna looks for a presser and a runner in this position. Not sure if that's in Broja's armoury though?
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. For Ipswich it was worth rolling the dice for these players and i am looking forward to seeing what McKenna does as he would be a manager I'd be keen on if Dyche left.

I think he'll be a decent player for them. This is a great chance for him to get his career back on track too.

That would have been easier at West Ham with a decent enough team around him and he was woeful. His legs have gone.

The Ipswich fan on here hates us don’t they? Anyway, hope they do well due to Keiran. Prefer them to disgusting Norwich anyway.

They need to sort out their left side and get help to cover Leif Davis if they want to stay up. He was at fault for both goals.

They need to sort out their left side and get help to cover Leif Davis if they want to stay up. He was at fault for both goals.

Think they need to sort a lot out based on that performance!

The other side didn't look too clever in the second half, and the middle completely opened up too. Johnson and Phillips coming in will be the plan I suppose.

It was kind of a law of averages scenario that the breakthrough would happen on that side. I don't think any other team in the league hits half as many diagonals to that area as Liverpool.

Ipswich on the whole were just spent very early into the second half. Not a great sign when you're at home - you imagine they could end up complete fodder on the road.

If Ipswich stay up, McKenna is a genious. It shouldn't be possible to have 3-4 League-1 players in the P.L - and today it showed.

If Ipswich stay up, McKenna is a genious. It shouldn't be possible to have 3-4 League-1 players in the P.L - and today it showed.

I think it was actually 7 Leauge One players and 8 if you count Harness coming on as a sub.

I think they will be competitive in the lower end of the leauge. The first two games are a free hit essentially. They wont be expected to win against Liverpool and Man City etc. It's the other teams in thier respective end of the table that they need to win their games in. This was Liverpool strongest starting XI - as they havent made any signings yet but I dont think it was Ipswich's strongest. They still have Kalvin Phillips, Muric, Johnson, Hirst, Szmodics and maybe even Cajuste and Borja to come in.

I don't think they can stay up. That was such a weird game - Ipswich actually moved the ball about really well, but then as soon as they had an opening they had nothing to actually threaten Liverpool with. Not enough pace, passing wasn't incisive enough and worryingly for them they looked like no threat from set pieces too.

I was looking at the two teams yesterday, the thing that struck out to me was how much bigger the Liverpool team looked. Ipswich look too small - they won't have much luck from set pieces and I don't think they'll have a reliable way of getting a goal.

Too early to say. Losing against Liverpool in their first game is not anything that gives you a hint if they might stay up or not. People already coming to wild conclusions are funny. It wont get better against City next week either, but these are not the games where they will take points or are expected too.

Once they play bottom of the league teams in September/October, you will have a better idea if there is a chance to stay up.

In trying to see the positives I think playing the best teams first can help set levels. As stated by others they aren’t expected to win but will have to run harder, think quicker and get exposed like they haven’t before. If they can address some of the weaknesses exposed it could benefit them in the long run. Baptism of fire so to speak.