Injury Crisis 2023/24 | Martínez and Casemiro back in training

His legs won’t be though. I selfishly wish he’d just retire from international football.
It’s always a catch 22 with him. If he doesn’t play he looks unfit. If he plays on international duty he looks fatigued.

The PL has the most injuries out of any top league, and with the increase in games, injuries are becoming more common. Instead of an internal investigation, we need to speak to the people increasing the amount of games.
Or maybe speak to the managers. It's understandable that they want to play with their strongest team for short term gain, but I think they simply have to manage their squads better. If Varane is complaining about the number of games he has to play, then give him a rest. It not like he has to play every game when he's fit. Also, we are now allowed to use 5 subs instead of 3, which should also ease the burden - at least potentially if all 5 subs are used.

So, I'm at best mildly emphatic to the "too many games" mantra. If it is so that there are more injuries in the PL, it could also be because of the high tempo, which may cause more impact injuries, and also, there is a high number of internationals in the PL, which could be a contributing factor, as internationals, obviously, are playing more games.

However, if you look at the injuries at United specifically, hardly any of them can be explained by the large number of games. Bissaka only played half the season, and was to some degree rotated with Dalot. Amrabat came injuries to United, but he was at strike this summer, and didn't play a single game all preseason. Martinez went to the WC, but he was mostly an unused sub + plus he didn't kick a ball all spring. Maybe they pushed him back to soon, but still, you cannot relate that to high number of games. Mount got injured, but had a role as a squad player at Chelsea last season and started plenty of games on the bench. Same with Hojlund. Heaton and Malacia cannot possibly be in the "too many games" category, and neither can be true for Mainoo. So, then we are left with Shaw, basically.

A more likely explanation - like Ten Hag also briefly said in a presser - fotballers today are top athletes, meaning they are pushing the limits in training for how much their bodies can take. You see that in others sports as well, that you sometimes cross the limit and harm your musculature in the pursuit of becoming as good as possible. There's a lot of competition within the squad, so it's not unthinkable that e.g. Bissaka is pushing too hard in training to keep Dalot out of the team. So I think this needs to be addressed to the fitness department within the clubs, rather than to the FA.

Or maybe speak to the managers. It's understandable that they want to play with their strongest team for short term gain, but I think they simply have to manage their squads better. If Varane is complaining about the number of games he has to play, then give him a rest. It not like he has to play every game when he's fit. Also, we are now allowed to use 5 subs instead of 3, which should also ease the burden - at least potentially if all 5 subs are used.

So, I'm at best mildly emphatic to the "too many games" mantra. If it is so that there are more injuries in the PL, it could also be because of the high tempo, which may cause more impact injuries, and also, there is a high number of internationals in the PL, which could be a contributing factor, as internationals, obviously, are playing more games.

However, if you look at the injuries at United specifically, hardly any of them can be explained by the large number of games. Bissaka only played half the season, and was to some degree rotated with Dalot. Amrabat came injuries to United, but he was at strike this summer, and didn't play a single game all preseason. Martinez went to the WC, but he was mostly an unused sub + plus he didn't kick a ball all spring. Maybe they pushed him back to soon, but still, you cannot relate that to high number of games. Mount got injured, but had a role as a squad player at Chelsea last season and started plenty of games on the bench. Same with Hojlund. Heaton and Malacia cannot possibly be in the "too many games" category, and neither can be true for Mainoo. So, then we are left with Shaw, basically.

A more likely explanation - like Ten Hag also briefly said in a presser - fotballers today are top athletes, meaning they are pushing the limits in training for how much their bodies can take. You see that in others sports as well, that you sometimes cross the limit and harm your musculature in the pursuit of becoming as good as possible. There's a lot of competition within the squad, so it's not unthinkable that e.g. Bissaka is pushing too hard in training to keep Dalot out of the team. So I think this needs to be addressed to the fitness department within the clubs, rather than to the FA.
You do realise that seasons don't reset everything and it's all continuous. If a player plays a lot of games then it has a permanent effect on their body, plus the more games you play the more chance you have at getting a bad tackle or a dodgy fall and twisting something. The human body can only take so much no matter how professional you are. Some players who used to play way fewer games are in constant pain when they retire in their 30s. Also, I think you need to look into how many games players actually played because in typical RC style you've made a lot of it up.

We signed two players with problematic back injuries in one window? :wenger:

I think it's a blessing in disguise tbh. He's been pretty crap and it'll force Ten Hag to play Amrabat as the sole CDM.

Not in disguise, it's a blessing that is there for everyone to see.

So both our DMs are injured. At least we're playing Sheffield United only

You do realise that seasons don't reset everything and it's all continuous. If a player plays a lot of games then it has a permanent effect on their body, plus the more games you play the more chance you have at getting a bad tackle or a dodgy fall and twisting something. The human body can only take so much no matter how professional you are. Some players who used to play way fewer games are in constant pain when they retire in their 30s. Also, I think you need to look into how many games players actually played because in typical RC style you've made a lot of it up.
If I was inaccurate in my post, please point out for me where I was wrong. Yes, I agree that a new season does not reset everything, but still, the players we have had injuries on this season are mostly relatively young and do not fit into the too-many-games narrative.

If I was inaccurate in my post, please point out for me where I was wrong. Yes, I agree that a new season does not reset everything, but still, the players we have had injuries on this season are mostly relatively young and do not fit into the too-many-games narrative.
The intensity of games combined with the intensity in training is a possible cause rather than the number of games, some players handle that better than others

Last edited:
That’s worrying. I wonder if he received the green light too early just like Martinez.

I have my doubts, both this and varane. Could see them go to Saudi in January.

Just can’t catch a break this season on the injury front and for that you have to have huge sympathy for Ten Hag. Very few teams can cope with the injury churn Utd have faced this season. I’d love to see Ten Hag have the balls to play Mainoo alongside Amrabat as I think we desperately need a solid midfield base at the moment with our defensive injury crisis. The issue is I’m not convinced that Mainoo himself is really back up to speed after his own injury so I think there will be a reluctance to throw him straight in which leads us back to the current issue of the midfield being wide open.

This club just kills your spirit. What is wrong with our players and medical team. It’s fine though, Amrabat will play and just like Casemiro, will be totally exposed due to shit tactics and we’ll ship more goals.

We're never going to have even half of our first choice defensive players available at any point this season, are we?

Good god. Did he pull his hamstring while lunging into one of his mindless tackles? How the hell are we picking up so many injuries FFS.

Also Varane has been training for sometime now, any reason why he's not started yet?