How good was David Beckham?

Not to be all nerdy, but it kind of irks me when people argue about Beckham's position as a winger or where he'd play in the modern game. Football hasn't actually changed that much in some respects.

There's a sort of overarching narrative that the 90s in England was all 442, wingers and strikers, etc. That's not my recollection. Sure, it defended as a 442, and sometimes you would push both wide players on, but it was pretty commonplace for one of your wide players to be a "winger" and another the be a "midfielder." Newcastle and Liverpool were good examples of this, as were Arsenal when they used Parlour off the right. We were the best.

And Beckham was the best at that in-between role, where you had to be a midfielder covering ground and an attacker making chances. It's a position that still exists in the modern game, they just usually defend in an ever so slightly different space. It's also part of the reason Beckham didn't often dribble, the other being why the hell would you when your distribution is so good that you don't need to move into a better angle to play the vital pass? At youth level he was pretty great as a dribbler, but he was so outstanding at other things that it made that skill largely irrelevant, so it didn't really develop once he hit the first team.

If he was coming through now he'd probably be an even better player.
In this era in which no one truly bothers to stop crosses. He'd be an assist god. His numbers would be like cheating in FM.

Last edited:
Underrated big time, one of the players who would thrive the way the game is played today, with so much structure in it, I'd even say he'd play CM role more in today's game his passing was spot on and that's what they do today pass pass pass ..

Underrated big time, one of the players who would thrive the way the game is played today, with so much structure in it, I'd even say he'd play CM role more in today's game his passing was spot on and that's what they do today pass pass pass ..

I don't think his short passing and ability to find angles out of pressure was ever as good as you would like in CM. Medium to long range penetrative passing/crossing he is pretty much peerless but if you compare his short passing to the way Scholes would find angles using the outside of his foot to pop balls off around a hard press he is nowhere near that level.

I don't think his short passing and ability to find angles out of pressure was ever as good as you would like in CM. Medium to long range penetrative passing/crossing he is pretty much peerless but if you compare his short passing to the way Scholes would find angles using the outside of his foot to pop balls off around a hard press he is nowhere near that level.
In that team yes with Scholes etc and at that that Time , he was best out wide in a 4-4-2.. system. They don't play that in today's game its all about the possession of the football and tight systems no or hardly any overlap running from the full backs they become inverted etc into more midfielders so he could operate in there in the modern game.. he played CM in 99 cl final in a 4-4-2 and was not very productive.