How good was David Beckham?

feck me it is far too early in the day for such a ridiculous take. I love David Beckham, I met him as a child, he was my favourite footballer growing up (still is my favourite footballer too), I collected shirts with every number he wore at every club he played for, heck I threw a sickie and flew to Paris at a days notice with an ex just to say that I'd seen his last ever game live; so I think it's fair to say my bias in most arguments would sit towards Beckham. But to say that he was "10x" the player Roy Keane was is perhaps one of the most insane things I have read in over 15 years on this forum.
ok. "He was much more naturally talented player than Keanu was"

Any better? :)

You obviously couldn't become a captain under Fergie, on just leadership skills, so Roy was an exceptional footballer, of course, but I don't thinks he was as naturally talented as Becks

You obviously couldn't become a captain under Fergie, on just leadership skills, so Roy was an exceptional footballer, of course, but I don't thinks he was as naturally talented as Becks
Of course that's better, that's a completely different statement. If you want to make the argument he was a better player than Keane, fine, that's up to you, but to explicitly say that he was a 10 times better player is ridiculous, surely you realise that?

Of course that's better, that's a completely different statement. If you want to make the argument he was a better player than Keane, fine, that's up to you, but to explicitly say that he was a 10 times better player is ridiculous, surely you realise that?
Yes, sorry I was being hyperbolical and overdid it

Great player and wonderful range of play. Nobody, absolutely nobody will do those crosses like that again and be successful over two continents. Gave us his best years and never dissed the club despite literally booted out. Watching him every now and then gives me the same warm feeling you get when you look at SAF and Cantona. A lot of them have forgotten what a beast he was. I wish the SAFs boot swerved a bit and hit Kleberson instead..

Personally I think he is underrated. He gets plenty of praise but I think the celebrity aspect of him has tarnished the opinion of him as a footballer.

For one, I haven't witnessed many players like him to can cross the ball the way he could. He was a player who needed to feel loved. At the time I was gutted when he had the falling out with Fergie. As I got older I began to realise that sometimes being ruthless and tough is sometimes required. I think Ferguson felt he had lost control of Becks and maybe he had to sell him to maintain complete control of his dressing room.

I will always have a soft spot for Becks. The first time I watched United was actually at Villa Park. Went over with my dear granddad (Villa fan) and a friend of his who had tickets in the away section. My grandad and uncles were in the Villa stands (That side of family are all Villa). It was the only time I was ever in the away section. United won 1-0 and Beckham scored. I remember when I was going over that I wanted to see loads of goals. I would have been 10 years old. We scored 1 goal and I will never forget that feeling. I will never forget chanting ''There's Only One David Beckham''. I was a fan of United for a few years, my Dad was always United so naturally I am too. I couldn't wait to go again and the following season I got to finally attend Old Trafford. Sadly, Beckham was sold and as a kid I was heartbroken! I remember coming home from school, turning on the TV and it was all that was being reported on the news channels.

My grandad passed away a few years back and I have lovely memories of going to the football with him and I always think of Becks scoring that goal when I think of going to games with my grandad. This was the game - https://www.premierleague.com/match/4337 Went over 3 times with him to Villa park so Villa I consider my second team! Not when they are playing United, though! :)

Becks' passing was also top notch. The way he could pass the ball 35 - 40 yards and made it look easy. His free kicks - I think he is one of the best free kick takers of all time. His performance against Greece. The game where he wanted to redeem himself for the sending off a few years prior. That game, he made sure his country was qualifying for the world cup and to score a late free kick under extreme pressure, to me, defines greatness. He covered every blade of grass that day. Tackles, covering, passing, the free kick. My oh my. As a young Irish lad watching it, I was delighted that Becks won!

Apologies for the long post! Beckham was just so important to my childhood and my love of football and more importantly, my love for United. :D

Prime Beckham for me, is up there in Modric/de Bruyne's tier.

But can he kill a man with a pencil?

Vastly underrated because of his celebrity image. Prime Becks would walk into any starting 11 in world football today.
I'm pretty sure he'd walk into any starting XI too, but it would be interesting to see how Beckham would be developed by the youth coaches these days, as the role of right-footed right midfielder is pretty much gone from the game. Some were claiming that he'd be a better TAA

Sums up Beckham the video below- What a player he was. Could land on ball on a Golf Tee. One of my favorite players of all time along with Roy Keane and Rooney. Definitely the best crosser of a ball of all time. Unfortunately Fergie that he was getting to big for his boots but what a player he was for both United and Madrid.
His performance against Greece as well was legendary.

Sums up Beckham the video below- What a player he was. Could land on ball on a Golf Tee. One of my favorite players of all time along with Roy Keane and Rooney. Definitely the best crosser of a ball of all time. Unfortunately Fergie that he was getting to big for his boots but what a player he was for both United and Madrid.

what a fecking cross that, millimetre perfect

I'm pretty sure he'd walk into any starting XI too, but it would be interesting to see how Beckham would be developed by the youth coaches these days, as the role of right-footed right midfielder is pretty much gone from the game. Some were claiming that he'd be a better TAA

Of course he would.

TAA spams crosses into the box with no aim.

Beckham would pick people out, his crosses were hit so well, he made it easy for the player on the end to finish. The pass decided the type of finish required before it even got there.

An often overlooked quality on his long passing was the back spin, back spin on a long pass makes the ball much easier to control, his long cross field balls just seemed to drop at a players feet because of it.

Of course he would.

TAA spams crosses into the box with no aim.

Beckham would pick people out, his crosses were hit so well, he made it easy for the player on the end to finish. The pass decided the type of finish required before it even got there.
it was not a question if he'd be a better footballer than TAA because that's not really debatable, but rather what would his position and playstyle be in the current game - and if indeed he'd be an offensive fullback/wingback rather than a winger or forward.

Last edited:

I love Becks and he is the best crosser of a ball I have seen and as pure a striker of a ball as you are likely to see.
But before We sold him he was definitely on the slide when it came to him getting up and down the line which was his strength and yet again Fergie pulled a master-stroke by bringing in his successor

it was not a question if he'd be a better footballer than TAA because that's not really debatable, but rather what would his position and playstyle be in the current game - and if indeed he'd be an offensive fullback/wingback rather than a winger or forward.

I think he'd be in a similar role to KDB. I also think he'd be way better at it than KDB.

I dunno, how do you judge these things? Central midfielders of the Keane type have to dictate play, not lose the ball, pass the ball accurately in tight spaces, win the ball back, it's a different skillset and Becks wasn't that great at it (when you look at how he played when in central midfield for us - Giggs however was great at it). I remember someone once said of Keane, something like: he might not have been the single best player at the club, but he was the club's second best player in any position.

I think he was a great footballer, not exceptional. But he had 2 great talents, his kick and his work ethics. He kept going.

The combination of those 2 qualities made him a weapon those days.

Probably be a CM, he played there quite a bit for United and Real Madrid when needed. Becks as a 10 would also work, his right foot around the edge of the box was he deadly, can also drift wide for crosses if needed.

He could work as a LW, cutting inside with that right foot wand for shots and inswinging crosses. Not the fastest for the LW but he had bags of stamina to get up and down the wing, he can track back to help out the defence a lot when needed.

I think he'd be in a similar role to KDB. I also think he'd be way better at it than KDB.
He’s not as good as KDB, worse in tight spaces, and short ground passes, slightly slower as well I’d say but not much in it. Beckham was never that good in the middle so the idea he’d be better than one of the best attacking midfielders of the past 10 years there is fanciful.

Beckham was not a 10 at all, just didn’t have the skill set, there’s more to it than just passing. There were an abundance of number 10s/second strikers in that era - Zola, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. Yorke played like it in 1999. Imagine telling Fergie 25 years ago to play Beckham as number 10 he would have laughed in your face.

I dunno, how do you judge these things? Central midfielders of the Keane type have to dictate play, not lose the ball, pass the ball accurately in tight spaces, win the ball back, it's a different skillset and Becks wasn't that great at it (when you look at how he played when in central midfield for us - Giggs however was great at it). I remember someone once said of Keane, something like: he might not have been the single best player at the club, but he was the club's second best player in any position.

Becks may have had more natural talent, although I think its closer than people might think. I know one thing though, if I was building a team for a one off game with my life on the line, Keane would be in midfield.

In todays game, think Beckham would be an #8 in a three man midfield and be bloody good at it, but not as good as he was out wide.

He’s not as good as KDB, worse in tight spaces, and short ground passes, slightly slower as well I’d say but not much in it. Beckham was never that good in the middle so the idea he’d be better than one of the best attacking midfielders of the past 10 years there is fanciful.

Beckham was not a 10 at all, just didn’t have the skill set, there’s more to it than just passing. There were an abundance of number 10s/second strikers in that era - Zola, Bergkamp, Cantona etc. Yorke played like it in 1999. Imagine telling Fergie 25 years ago to play Beckham as number 10 he would have laughed in your face.
He is not a better footballer than KDB.

That's just a matter of opinion, here's mine.

KDB is just Beckham light as far as I'm concerned. His whole passing style is copied from Beckham. Beckham was a much better player and he has said he wanted to play centrally during his career. And did it for the club on the biggest night in Barcelona. To say he couldn't do what KDB does is absolute nonsense.

Beckham was one of the most effective players in Europe for a period of 3-4 years, at United.
And his numbers were almost unrivaled for a wide midfielder in a flat 4-4-2.
I think he should’ve won the Ballon D’or in 1999 ahead of Rivaldo, who was a phenomenal player but Beckham won a treble that year.
To come back after the WC, with all the scrutiny and vileness that was thrown at him, and to win the lot whilst having his best ever season says a lot about his character.

I think Giggs and Beckham were the best and most important players in the late 90’s United team, certainly the most dangerous creators for any rival.
Becks was hands down our best player in the CL run in 1999, so many clutch assists and goals in huge matches, and one of our only players who played well in the final, out of his normal position, that.

Sing his song folks, he deserves it.
One of our greats.

That's just a matter of opinion, here's mine.

KDB is just Beckham light as far as I'm concerned. His whole passing style is copied from Beckham. Beckham was a much better player and he has said he wanted to play centrally during his career. And did it for the club on the biggest night in Barcelona. To say he couldn't do what KDB does is absolute nonsense.
And you are perfectly entitled to post it.

De Bruyne is a better ball carrier and more dynamic than Beckham was (especially De Bruyne of a couple of years ago). In terms of delivery they're pretty equal other than set pieces.

De Bruyne is the better player, but not massively so.

This.

Roy Keane seems to have been reduced to being an amazing and tough as nails captain, but just a decent footballer.

Roy Keane was both an exceptional footballer, AND an amazing leader. Considering his position and the era he played in, he was pretty much the complete package. The only skill he really lacked was fancy dribbling, which he didn't need anyway.

The Keane slander is wild. I would have been convinced they hadn't seen Roy play but they've apparently been watching the team since at least the 90s.

But Becks was amazing in general and for me he was the best player in Europe in 1998.

I think he was a great footballer, not exceptional. But he had 2 great talents, his kick and his work ethics. He kept going.

The combination of those 2 qualities made him a weapon those days.
'Kick' did encompass everything from being able to laser 60 yard passes perfectly into a striker's path so they didn't have to break stride (and having the vision to pick the pass), cross with unrivalled speed, curl and accuracy, as well as shoot very well from distance.
Great work ethic as well. Only criticisms really were lack of pace and not great in the air, but his positional sense compensated a lot for the former.

He is not a better footballer than KDB.

He is, KDB benefits from Pep ball, he goes missing for Belgium. Beckham is a better passer, better crosser, better shooter, better at dead ball situations, better stamina, better at defending, better work ethic.

He is, KDB benefits from Pep ball, he goes missing for Belgium. Beckham is a better passer, better crosser, better shooter, better at dead ball situations, better stamina, better at defending, better work ethic.
I have great memories of Beckham and he was a Utd legend so I will leave it at that.

He had a
'Kick' did encompass everything from being able to laser 60 yard passes perfectly into a striker's path so they didn't have to break stride (and having the vision to pick the pass), cross with unrivalled speed, curl and accuracy, as well as shoot very well from distance.
Great work ethic as well. Only criticisms really were lack of pace and not great in the air, but his positional sense compensated a lot for the former.
He was fantastically accurate, yes his work ethic but really it was his athleticism - he was a fantastic endurance runner. He never got tired. Big part of his game, I thought.

Beckham was 100% a better player than De Bruyne.

In today's game he'd play the box-to-box third midfielder, he'd get into every single squad in the EPL and be a major player. People forget how good he was.