Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you sign James, AWB, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes and Longstaff for around £250 million and sell Pogba and Lukaku for around £150 million, I'd say you'd have a much stronger squad next season and should be aiming for third, comfortably finishing in the top four.
Do we? I don’t think so at all.

Even if we’re super optimistic in rating those players;

James - squad option at best (there’s absolutely no chance a young player who’s looked alright at Swansea is going to come and set the world alight in the PL)

AWB - comprehensively better than our RBs. Will improve a lot from Young/Dalot.

Maguire - I personally don’t rate highly him at all, but let’s say he’s an improvement on what we have.

Longstaff - has played a whopping 9 Premier League games. Will essentially be replacing Herrera, who was one of our most consistent players post SAF.

Fernandes - great stats, if he hits the ground running and replicates his figures Pogba’s miss won’t be so huge. But Fernandes is a final third attacker, he’s not going to do anything deeper to dictate play or play under pressure.

That’s two out of five signings who have been signed which will clearly improve things. The others are replacements who aren’t near as proven as what we actually had, or squad options that have it all to prove.

Losing Lukaku and Pogba is losing 25 goals and 9 assists in the league last season. That’s near enough 40% of our goals scored... If we add those 9 assists that takes the tally to them being involved in 34 of our 66 goals. That’s just over 50%.

Will Martial and Rashford shoot up from being 10~ goal a season forwards to 20~? Will Lingard go from 7~ to 15~? Will Fernandes fill the void in a creative sense?

It’s a damn sight brighter than it ever would be under Mourinho, but theres still a host of question marks everywhere.

Do we? I don’t think so at all.

Even if we’re super optimistic in rating those players;

James - squad option at best (there’s absolutely no chance a young player who’s looked alright at Swansea is going to come and set the world alight in the PL)

AWB - comprehensively better than our RBs. Will improve a lot from Young/Dalot.

Maguire - I personally don’t rate highly him at all, but let’s say he’s an improvement on what we have.

Longstaff - has played a whopping 9 Premier League games. Will essentially be replacing Herrera, who was one of our most consistent players post SAF.

Fernandes - great stats, if he hits the ground running and replicates his figures Pogba’s miss won’t be so huge. But Fernandes is a final third attacker, he’s not going to do anything deeper to dictate play or play under pressure.

That’s two out of five signings who have been signed which will clearly improve things. The others are replacements who aren’t near as proven as what we actually had, or squad options that have it all to prove.

Losing Lukaku and Pogba is losing 25 goals and 9 assists in the league last season. That’s near enough 40% of our goals scored... If we add those 9 assists that takes the tally to them being involved in 34 of our 66 goals. That’s just over 50%.

Will Martial and Rashford shoot up from being 10~ goal a season forwards to 20~? Will Lingard go from 7~ to 15~? Will Fernandes fill the void in a creative sense?

It’s a damn sight brighter than it ever would be under Mourinho, but theres still a host of question marks everywhere.
This post suggests that you're assuming those 5 signings are the only ones coming in even if Pogba and Lukaku leaves. I reckon those 5 would come in even if weren't to sell Pogba or Lukaku. So, if we were to sell those 2, we would replace them imo.

But you're right to an extent and those signings in isolation aren't necessarily going to elevate us to compete with City or Liverpool. However, they could be a stepping stone to getting us to play quicker and with more intensity. We could then make more high profile signings next season to push on from the foundations built from the coming season.

Love the optimism that we have at least three more signings coming in.

This post suggests that you're assuming those 5 signings are the only ones coming in even if Pogba and Lukaku leaves. I reckon those 5 would come in even if weren't to sell Pogba or Lukaku. So, if we were to sell those 2, we would replace them imo.

But you're right to an extent and those signings in isolation aren't necessarily going to elevate us to compete with City or Liverpool. However, they could be a stepping stone to getting us to play quicker and with more intensity. We could then make more high profile signings next season to push on from the foundations built from the coming season.
That’s true also, but do you see us signing more than 5?! I’d be very surprised. Let us get the next 3 done first!

We have to actively sell the dross in the squad.

We have at the moment 5 first team CBs not counting Tuanzebe, bar Lindelof, and maybe Smalling, they aren't worth keeping even as squad players.
If we are getting Maguire, we will have 6 CBs!!

That’s true also, but do you see us signing more than 5?! I’d be very surprised. Let us get the next 3 done first!
I think it depends on who we sell. I think there are going to be at least 4-5 outgoings. I also think that our midfield signings will change depending on if Pogba leaves and that's partly why we haven't seen much progress for incoming midfield signings.

We have to actively sell the dross in the squad.

We have at the moment 5 first team CBs not counting Tuanzebe, bar Lindelof, and maybe Smalling, they aren't worth keeping even as squad players.
If we are getting Maguire, we will have 6 CBs!!

CB is actually the position where most of our injuries occur. So while 6 is excessive, you never know. Especially if we play 3 at the back.

CB is actually the position where most of our injuries occur. So while 6 is excessive, you never know. Especially if we play 3 at the back.
The dross is who get injured anyway. Sell Rojo and one of Bailly/Jones, buy Maguire. Our CBs would be Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe and then one of Jones/Bailly. 5 CBs is plenty, and that group would look much better in terms of health, quality, blend of experience and youth, and clear starters with good depth. Right now it's basically 5 CB's around the same level with almost all the same injury history apart from Lindelof and Tuanzebe. Not good.

Love the optimism that we have at least three more signings coming in.

It surely HAS to happen that we get at least two more, otherwise I see a big struggle for top 4 especially with EL commitments. Ed fecked up big time last summer and the fans have been ridiculously patient at OT for the past 6 years. The supporters were very loyal even in the Cardiff game (no boos) but the discontent is building. If things go south quickly this season it could get really ugly. Anything less than at least 4 signings would be ridiculously negligent.

Maguire coming in would sure up our defence along with AWB. At least we can say that area of the pitch is no longer a big concern.

in a world where Tyronne Mings is going for £20m+ a fee of £90m for Maguire suddenly feels a bit cheap

in a world where Tyronne Mings is going for £20m+ a fee of £90m for Maguire suddenly feels a bit cheap

In a world where you’re getting Tielemans for 40m because we’re letting you, you could see your way to doing us a favour ;)

In a world where you’re getting Tielemans for 40m because we’re letting you, you could see your way to doing us a favour ;)
we are, by taking so much money onff of you we are stopping you blowing another huge wad on a another egocentric waster like Pogba ;)

we are, by taking so much money onff of you we are stopping you blowing another huge wad on a another egocentric waster like Pogba ;)
The way the market has gone he will somehow prove a cunning investment once we eventually shift his carcass. Imagine saying that 3 years ago.

I guess it's a compliment to Maguire's personality that he hasn't put a transfer request in. If he doesn't leave Leicester he could lose out on a lot of money.
He’ll be hoping for the best of both worlds where he gets his move and pay rise, but doesn’t have to do so by handing in a transfer request and voiding his loyalty bonus.

I see this from another angle. Leicester are an improving side and could be up there challenging for top 4 with us next season. They make sensible investments in players many of whom seem to come good. Is it really a good idea to gift them possibly £80 million for them to invest in 2 or 3 more quality signings? I'd rather spend that kind of cash on one of the overseas CB options rather than potentially seriously strengthen a potential rival.

You will be moaning the blues at the end of the season when Tielemans is worth a hun that you didn't go for him

You will be moaning the blues at the end of the season when Tielemans is worth a hun that you didn't go for him
I’d rather we went for Tielemans over Maguire, but unfortunately I don’t think Ole agrees with me.

I’d rather we went for Tielemans over Maguire, but unfortunately I don’t think Ole agrees with me.
i would love it if this happened. they can hang onto their overpriced player, i actually think that by strengthening our fullbacks we can get by with our cb options as they won't be put under as much pressure. Teach them a lesson as well about trying to rip us off.

i would love it if this happened. they can hang onto their overpriced player, i actually think that by strengthening our fullbacks we can get by with our cb options as they won't be put under as much pressure. Teach them a lesson as well about trying to rip us off.
you mean the player who has passed his medical and agreed terms to join us? Yeah think you're a little late there

Hearing he didn't want to come to United would worry me. What sort of attitude could we expect from him? We don't need another lacklustre waste of money.

I see this from another angle. Leicester are an improving side and could be up there challenging for top 4 with us next season. They make sensible investments in players many of whom seem to come good. Is it really a good idea to gift them possibly £80 million for them to invest in 2 or 3 more quality signings? I'd rather spend that kind of cash on one of the overseas CB options rather than potentially seriously strengthen a potential rival.

This sort of mentality is the sort of small time stuff that really worries me.

We're worrying about the likes of Leicester taking our top 6 status!

given the mess you are in off with regards to recruitment right now you should be

given the mess you are in off with regards to recruitment right now you should be

We had a dreadful season last year, and were still 14 points ahead of you.
So we'd need a big drop off against our worst season in 5 years, and you'd need a big step up.

If that happens, it happens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

We've massively upgraded our worst player, whereas you've bought an average Newcastle forward. Plus us potentially looking to take your best defender. So I don't think you're outdoing us so far!

We had a dreadful season last year, and were still 14 points ahead of you.
So we'd need a big drop off against our worst season in 5 years, and you'd need a big step up.

If that happens, it happens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

We've massively upgraded our worst player, whereas you've bought an average Newcastle forward. Plus us potentially looking to take your best defender. So I don't think you're outdoing us so far!

They were averaging 1.81 points per game under Rodgers which would lead them to 69 points in the end if they could keep the same pace. Now, it was last 11 games, too small of a sample and we can attribute some of that to managers bounce like we had with Ole.

Still, they are a good team, certainly one that has good potential and Rodgers isn't bad manager at all. I wouldn't bet they would be above us, but I would bet they will certainly do better than last season.

I hope the rumour that City are after Ake are not true. I hope we get him instead of Maguire. He is naturally left footed, can play alongside Lidelof regularly and alongside Smalling if we have to defend against a team playing long high ball game. He can also be cover for Shaw

Leicester won the title not too long ago if you can bother to remember .. they also finished the season better than us.
Its this 'entitled' mentality that really worries me.
If you're not looking over your shoulder at the likes of Leicester and Wolves especially if Lukaku/Pogba go and are not replaced properly you should be. This transfer window is make or break.

Status
Not open for further replies.