Harry Amass image 41

Harry Amass England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Let's just remember he's 17.

A great reminder. It’s disturbing to read the criticism of Amass here. And although it’s true the opponent last night was Real Betis and not Real Madrid, considering his age his performance was excellent. Can the 17 year old improve his game? Of course, but so can every other player in the squad.

Not terribly impressive but he might get his trial by fire next season. Let's hope he can make the step up when called upon.

I agree on first point but I wouldn't say we "done" Watford. It's just part of life that talent will move up the pyramid in any field.
Footballers aren't slaves.

Of course, I’m not saying we acted unethically or anything, but this is a player certain to be worth tens of millions who we picked up from them for peanuts.

A great reminder. It’s disturbing to read the criticism of Amass here. And although it’s true the opponent last night was Real Betis and not Real Madrid, considering his age his performance was excellent. Can the 17 year old improve his game? Of course, but so can every other player in the squad.

Any examples of posts with this disturbing criticism?

Good talent with real potential to be a first teamer..

Hopefully he has a good mentality and he continues to develop.

Just like Mainoo 2022/23 a full season ahead training with the first team squad with an occasional appearance will do him a world of good IMO

Still 17yrs old.

Definitely agree that there's similarities to Shaw, the way he's comfortable on the ball being the biggest similarity.

He's been involved in a lot of our good football in the past couple of pre-season games. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Seems to tick all the boxes for me as somebody that can come off the bench as a back up.
I also wonder if United would think of putting him on loan for a year to get a bit more game time? Nice luxury to have either way.

If you are thinking along the lines that United will be challenging for 3rd-6th place finish this season, then giving a few more youth players minutes should be very doable.

Amass should be able to start a few games, especially when the majority of the first team is starting...you could 'carry' a LB for a few matches without derailing the entire campaign.

He's performed pretty much as I'd have expected, and as he looked in the U18's.

Very exciting prospect, already good on the ball and can contribute going forward. Still with plenty of work to do defensively, especially with positioning and reading of the game - but exactly what you'd expect at his young age.

He's clearly not ready yet to be the regular LB. But I think he could well be kept as an alternative option for the LB spot this season. But very much with the knowledge that he's still a work in progress and defensive lapses are to be expected. So ideally you'd only play him in games where that's considered an accepted risk in order to give a very promising youngster some experience.

Seems to tick all the boxes for me as somebody that can come off the bench as a back up.
I also wonder if United would think of putting him on loan for a year to get a bit more game time? Nice luxury to have either way.
Don't see a loan personally. I think we'll keep him around the first team squad. He'll play mainly for the U21's I expect this season but do think he'll get a bit of first team exposure.

EtH:

”We have to make progress but we all see here a potential where we have seen in previous years.

"For instance, two years ago, [Alejandro] Garnacho last season. We had it during last season with Kobbie [Mainoo], but he is not that far now at this moment.

"Yet, if we train him well, if we coach him well, then, in three months, it's possible that he can be on that point. But, in this moment, he needs to catch up and he has to develop some skills already to play for Manchester United, competing for the highest positions in the league.

"But, with big talent, it can go up very quickly and that is very interesting to see if he is capable of doing this."

Reading that quote, I imagine he'll be in and around the squad this year and if we have a few injuries or dead rubber cup games, he might get some game time.

I’d have Malacia as the nominal back up LB this season, and be starting Malacia if Shaws out. Id then have Amass as the bench backup for whichever of the other two starts. Try and get him as many minutes as possible, and hopefully he becomes back up LB next season (or first if he pulls a Mainoo).

We just need Shaw to have one of his on-seasons this year where he doesn’t get injured too much.

I would cry if we get another academy break through this year

I think Collyer is the most likely player to be integrated into the first team this season, not Amass. Maybe next season for the latter.
Yeah, Collyer is 3 years older than Amass and looks physically and tactically ready for men's football. So I can see this being his breakthrough season if ETH rates him as he seems to do.

Both Garnacho and Mainoo had a season where they made just 2 or 3 appearances before their breakthrough one. I can see Amass being similar: playing mostly for the U21's, training with the first team and being including in plenty of travelling / matchday squads - all for good learning experience - but only getting a small number of appearances due to his age and the need for more physical / tactical development.

Yeah, Collyer is 3 years older than Amass and looks physically and tactically ready for men's football. So I can see this being his breakthrough season if ETH rates him as he seems to do.

Both Garnacho and Mainoo had a season where they made just 2 or 3 appearances before their breakthrough one. I can see Amass being similar: playing mostly for the U21's, training with the first team and being including in plenty of travelling / matchday squads - all for good learning experience - but only getting a small number of appearances due to his age and the need for more physical / tactical development.

I agree, I won't be surprised if it's the 25/26 or even 26/27 season when Amass starts making a significant number of appearances. I don't think there's any need to rush him, tbh, and gradually increasing his playtime could keep him content and hungry at the same time. It will also depend on how well we're stocked at LB. If Malacia returns and can still perform well for us, Shaw is managed carefully and avoids injuries, and we sign Mazraoui too, then there's even less reason to rush Amass.

The player I'm most curious about at the moment is Chido Obi-Martin. I can see him getting integrated as soon as next season if we really promised that to him.

This guy isn’t going out on loan - especially when you consider our LB issues last season..

Calls to send a lad who just turned 17 out on loan is crazy. At that age we need to keep him close. The human element is a real thing, especially for a modern day footballer. let him develop for another year around our backroom staff, senior players and his family.

He has all the things you can't teach a footballer, and so we need to work on getting his physical level up, work on his timing and positioning.

I think he will breakthrough at left back, but the fullback to CDM switch is quite common. Lahm, Fabinho, Alaba (for Austria), and now theres calls for TAA to do the same.

But for now he is a fullback and we should develop as one.

Until Malacia is out, he has time of his life to get the chance to prove himself.

Calls to send a lad who just turned 17 out on loan is crazy. At that age we need to keep him close. The human element is a real thing, especially for a modern day footballer. let him develop for another year around our backroom staff, senior players and his family.

He has all the things you can't teach a footballer, and so we need to work on getting his physical level up, work on his timing and positioning.

I think he will breakthrough at left back, but the fullback to CDM switch is quite common. Lahm, Fabinho, Alaba (for Austria), and now theres calls for TAA to do the same.

But for now he is a fullback and we should develop as one.

Spot on. Calls to send the lad on loan are crazy.

He would learn much more going out on loan, especially if he can be first choice. Otherwise Malacia will be taking his bench spot for most of the season.

He would learn much more going out on loan, especially if he can be first choice. Otherwise Malacia will be taking his bench spot for most of the season.
He is still quite young, especially for a defender. He needs to be in a controlled environment for now. Things can go well on loan or go very bad too. It is not in the interests of the loan club to protect him or develop him in a steady manner.

Not sure how much more he is going to learn on loan than by training with the first team, especially with Malacias recovery and Shaw not being able to stay fit.

Not sure how much more he is going to learn on loan than by training with the first team, especially with Malacias recovery and Shaw not being able to stay fit.
I actually feel the opposite, you can only learn so much in training. He'll develop much quicker playing week in week out in a competitive environment suitable to his level against grown men. Of course, loans don't always work out and we haven't been the best at them, but we now have footbaling people in the new structure who would know what to do. I think the key is how Malacia recovers, because if he's fit, then he'll always be ahead in the pecking order.

I think he's the reason we haven't been linked to any left backs even when Malacia is still injured and will take at least another 2 months for him to come back.

Ten Hag can be criticized for many things but he's not afraid to give youngsters a real chance when he rates them as its been proven with Garnacho and Mainoo. If you're good enough you're old enough, it's about quality not age and Amass definitely has it. I would rather give the minutes to youngsters with potential than to average players.

I agree. Amass is in the conversation now. If he goes on loan and does not tear it up, he might never find himself back where he is currently. Think of how hard it was for Amad, even after being POTY for Sunderland. The loans Hannibal went on were supposed to provide the final bit of class to him but instead they turned him into a hothead.

For a young player like Amass, being in the first team (or periphery) where he benefits from the exact same training and coaching as the first team will be of better benefit to him. He's raw because he's young. If ETH & Co. are smart (no indication of this, by the way), they will give Amass minutes at the end of matches we are winning, will give him cup games and Europa games, and maybe the odd start here and there. He should be getting a handful of chances and not expected to be thrown in as a starter.

Last edited:
I would cry if we get another academy break through this year
Better get some extra boxes of tissues* then, because you're going to get two: Collyer and Amass. Hell, with Højlund out for 6 weeks at least, might even get Wheatley through into the first team on a regular basis.

*Tissues for crying only.

Not seen anything to suggest he's ready for the first team. That's not a criticism. He's 17...just to be on the tour at that age he's made an impression, but it doesn't do a young player any good to throw them to the wolves prematurely

We need another left back though. The idea we're selling Bissaka when Dalot spent half his time last season covering at left back is bonkers. If we sell Bissaka then really we need to sign 2 fullbacks