Harry Amass image 41

Harry Amass England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

His first touch and ability in tight spaces is up there with Shaw and that’s saying something. Lacks the defensive awareness and physicality as you’d expect for someone of his age, but his talent is readily apparent. Hope he can get a few Europa games this season. If we get another fullback he would do well on loan to a top championship team who play actual football.
Agreed. I think it'd do him a world of good to experience regular 1st team football at a lower league to accelerate the improvements you've mentioned. If he does well I can see him being a squad option next season.

What impressed me most wasn’t his talent going forward or his pass and move game which is clear. I was most surprised and pleased with his pressing and jockeying of the attackers. He stayed on his feet and applied pressure without over committing or diving in. His timing is very considered.

Only a couple appearances now, but definitely passes the eye test. Lovely touch and close control. Remains to be seen if he can pick up the defensive aspects at a prem level, but he's already a better attacking option than sticking Dalot on his wrong foot out there imo.

Exciting.

Only a couple appearances now, but definitely passes the eye test. Lovely touch and close control. Remains to be seen if he can pick up the defensive aspects at a prem level, but he's already a better attacking option than sticking Dalot on his wrong foot out there imo.

Exciting.

Yep. With our setup it's important to have fullbacks who can receive the ball and are comfortable progressing play.

Wrong footed fullbacks aren't ideal for balance

Yep. With our setup it's important to have fullbacks who can receive the ball and are comfortable progressing play.

Wrong footed fullbacks aren't ideal for balance
You can just see it - the way they can let the ball run across the body when getting closed and then pass it up the line. Rashford clearly liked having that option too.

Good enough on the ball, looked underpar defensively. We need a left back, he's not ready.

At Barca they'll trust him to be Shaw deputy and long term heir straight away.

What impressed me most wasn’t his talent going forward or his pass and move game which is clear. I was most surprised and pleased with his pressing and jockeying of the attackers. He stayed on his feet and applied pressure without over committing or diving in. His timing is very considered.

His one on one defending is surprisingly solid. Still lots form him to work on and improve, he gets caught ball watching on occasion and lets runners go, but he has all the tools needed to play as a modern fullback.

I would rather we kept around the first team and work with on the training pitch than send him out on loan.

In possession he looks pure class. Defensively he had good moments and a couple of bad moments, so I'm not sure how ready he is to be Shaw's backup yet. The potential is exciting though.

Yeah exactly, at the moment I don't think he's that good defensively. Might need some loans similar to how we did with Dalot who also was pretty poor defensively when he first joined.

Been saying that I don’t want us to sign a left back. We can piece together one left back out of Shaw and Malacia, and Amass is probably a year away. He can be in the rotation for now and as the season progresses I think his involvement can increase.

His one on one defending is surprisingly solid. Still lots form him to work on and improve, he gets caught ball watching on occasion and lets runners go, but he has all the tools needed to play as a modern fullback.

I would rather we kept around the first team and work with on the training pitch than send him out on loan.
Yeah he can definitely improve in this area, and he has over the course of the under 18 season it’s always nice to see it against older opponents though. I think with the ball watching it can be difficult when there’s multiple runners but it’s something he wil have to cope with at this level.

I’d keep him to up until Christmas at least, see if he is needed.

Needs a good, thoughtful loan

He seems talent, but is not ready to break
into the senior team and start playing minutes in EPL, yet

Those at the club would surely know better but looking at his skill set surely he'd be better off moved to the middle.

You can tell how much he actually bases his game on Shaw. Down to the short socks too. Quite cute

He's coming into himself now for the first team too which is good to see. That was more like the performances we've seen for the u-18s. His game against Rosenberg was quite unlike himself. Probably nerves or his first game after holidays but he was very poor during that game.

I think I've mentioned it before in the youth forums but for me he's literally a Luke Shaw regen. His first touch, attacking play, overlapping runs, give and gos, crosses/cutbacks everything is already at a high level and is very reminiscent of Shaw. I won't blame him for the goal as Jesus was clearly offside but he is suspect at the defensive side of things but those are things he will improve upon with more experience. He only turned 17 in March so I'm very excited to watch him progress as he's clearly a talent.

The middle as in central midfield? What makes you think that?
My outlook may be outdated but I don't think he's shown the physical characteristics suited to being a fullback, lacks the explosiveness for example but he's quite press resistant, a great dribbler and seems to have a thing for leaving the opposition adrift while laying off the ball for his team mates with nifty littile touches , all attributes you'd think would come to the fore in the congested middle more so than at the sides where he currently is.

Obviously it takes more than that to make a great midfielder whether it be passing range or positioning but all in all he looks more naturally suited in there than his current position.

Those at the club would surely know better but looking at his skill set surely he'd be better off moved to the middle.
I would rather United get extra value out of its players, rather than the player getting the most value out of his skillset. Think of it like, what is that position usually giving the top clubs? Then you want your player to give more than that as that means other clubs will not have that skillset, and it puts your club at an advantage.

If you feel he would be better off moved to the middle, that suggests to me that he should stay as you think a LB is good enough to be a midfielder, which isn't common. You can find midfielders with his skillset, but you can't so easily with LBs.

My outlook may be outdated but I don't think he's shown the physical characteristics suited to being a fullback, lacks the explosiveness for example but he's quite press resistant, a great dribbler and seems to have a thing for leaving the opposition adrift while laying off the ball for his team mates with nifty littile touches , all attributes you'd think would come to the fore in the congested middle more so than at the sides where he currently is.

Obviously it takes more than that to make a great midfielder whether it be passing range or positioning but all in all he looks more naturally suited in there than his current position.
I was actually quite impressed with his agility and quickness in a few of his 1v1s with Jesus yesterday. Haven't seen much of his top end speed so I will leave that to some who have watched him more. He is not a big player so he will probably take a few years to learn how to use his body against full grown men, but I certainly think he can get there.

Just watched the first half of the Arsenal game. Played well. Surely he could be used a bit in the first team.

He's coming into himself now for the first team too which is good to see. That was more like the performances we've seen for the u-18s. His game against Rosenberg was quite unlike himself. Probably nerves or his first game after holidays but he was very poor during that game.

I think I've mentioned it before in the youth forums but for me he's literally a Luke Shaw regen. His first touch, attacking play, overlapping runs, give and gos, crosses/cutbacks everything is already at a high level and is very reminiscent of Shaw. I won't blame him for the goal as Jesus was clearly offside but he is suspect at the defensive side of things but those are things he will improve upon with more experience. He only turned 17 in March so I'm very excited to watch him progress as he's clearly a talent.

Was it? I thought it was too, but the ESPN commentators kept saying Amass played him on, wasn’t sure if it was an angle thing or what.

Was impressed with him other than that, and didn’t look out of place at all

Was it? I thought it was too, but the ESPN commentators kept saying Amass played him on, wasn’t sure if it was an angle thing or what.

If ESPN told me it was going to be sunny all day I'd pack a brolly

Either keep him as part of the squad, or is there a chance of loaning him to a team in Holland/Germany. Just think we have wasted so many kids that looked like they were talented sending them to teams here whose managers don't have the courage to use them.

It was. Those commentators were meh. Called Will Fish Marc Fish too.

Very impressive yesterday. Great feet and seemed to have real confidence and personality in his game.