Hannibal Mejbri | signs for Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to see him go but we rarely get youth outgoings wrong, wish him all the best.

Sad to see him go but we rarely get youth outgoings wrong, wish him all the best.
True.

But I've had really big hopes for Hannibal and was eager to see him make the breakthrough. I hate it when a plan falls apart.

That's a much larger fee than I anticipated.

Between McTominays & Hannibal we've not far off covered Ugartes fee.

Great fee for him.

Again he had plenty of time and chances to show he’s first team material and just fell short.
Fully disagree that he had plenty of times. He was rarely given chances and even during pre-season here, he was mostly played as a makeshift attacker

Fully disagree that he had plenty of times. He was rarely given chances and even during pre-season here, he was mostly played as a makeshift attacker
He’s been part of the first team squad for how many seasons? And no manager has thought him deserving of a starting XI place consistently.

What happens in training will dictate a lot of who is given a chance and the simple fact is he’s not good enough. He’s not better than Casemiro or Mainoo and certainly not Bruno.

Simply put he’s not good enough.

When we signed him back in the day, he was touted as one of the most promising youngsters in Europe, and a lot of top clubs were in for him. At youth level he looked really good - comfortable on the ball, good vision, aggressive and personality-wise, like a potential leader. Unfortunately, he couldn't translate any of this into the first team, except for being overly aggressive and a potential red card waiting to happen. His loan spell at Birmingham was promising, his opportunities in a United shirt underwhelming and his move to Sevilla was a total disaster. At 21 and having joined the club five years ago without ever really kicking on, I think it's the perfect time to move him on and at least recoup a little bit of money.

When we signed him back in the day, he was touted as one of the most promising youngsters in Europe, and a lot of top clubs were in for him. At youth level he looked really good - comfortable on the ball, good vision, aggressive and personality-wise, like a potential leader. Unfortunately, he couldn't translate any of this into the first team, except for being overly aggressive and a potential red card waiting to happen. His loan spell at Birmingham was promising, his opportunities in a United shirt underwhelming and his move to Sevilla was a total disaster. At 21 and having joined the club five years ago without ever really kicking on, I think it's the perfect time to move him on and at least recoup a little bit of money.
And with the option of a buy back and/or share of future sell on, just makes perfect sense. Good luck to the lad!

He’s been part of the first team squad for how many seasons? And no manager has thought him deserving of a starting XI place consistently.

What happens in training will dictate a lot of who is given a chance and the simple fact is he’s not good enough. He’s not better than Casemiro or Mainoo and certainly not Bruno.

No manager = EtH, and simply put he hasn't had plenty of chances on the pitch (that's what I'm challenging), that's a bare faced lie, especially with a midfield that disappears after 60 mins.

No manager = EtH, and simply put he hasn't had plenty of chances on the pitch (that's what I'm challenging), that's a bare faced lie, especially with a midfield that disappears after 60 mins.
But there is a reason for the lack of opportunity. He’s not better than the players that are available.

He’s moving to the championship. Theres a reason for that.

Glad we’re getting some money for him, he wasn’t going to break into the team and would struggle to get on the bench consistently.

That doesn't tell the whole story though... Antony was 1st choice for an extended period even though he was utterly shit, likewise Rashford. Does that mean they were starters because they were training well!

I would have liked to have seen Hannibal played in his favoured position, but with 1 year left and under EtH this was unlikely to happen.

Good move for Hannibal and seems like a good deal for the club.

Definitely will go on to have a good career like many others who've come through the academy, but don't think he was ever going to nail down a regular spot at Old Trafford

That doesn't tell the whole story though... Antony was 1st choice for an extended period even though he was utterly shit, likewise Rashford. Does that mean they were starters because they were training well!

I would have liked to have seen Hannibal played in his favoured position, but with 1 year left and under EtH this was unlikely to happen.
Who would you have dropped for Hannibal?

No one (at the start), however, would have brought him on to replace Mainoo from the 60th minute, as he's the closest in terms of not treating the ball like a hot potato

He wouldn't be starting but certainly given gametime, and am not talking about the stupid minutes that Forson was given.
Ultimately, I don't think he would be starter material, maybe a good bench option, but time will tell.

Given the mess under EtH, a young player has to be very special (e.g. Mainoo) to be given extended gametime. I don't think Hannibal would ever get the minutes to develop properly, besides, so far very few players have improved anyway.

I understand why people don't rate him or don't think he would make it here, but I do wish he was given a run in his favoured position.

No one (at the start), however, would have brought him on to replace Mainoo from the 60th minute, as he's the closest in terms of not treating the ball like a hot potato
Maybe I’m blind here but I just don’t see him being a one that got away.

He was energetic and fine on the ball. But I don’t recall any game where I thought he’d have a chance.

He wouldn't be starting but certainly given gametime, and am not talking about the stupid minutes that Forson was given.
Ultimately, I don't think he would be starter material, maybe a good bench option, but time will tell.

Given the mess under EtH, a young player has to be very special (e.g. Mainoo) to be given extended gametime. I don't think Hannibal would ever get the minutes to develop properly, besides, so far very few players have improved anyway.

I understand why people don't rate him or don't think he would make it here, but I do wish he was given a run in his favoured position.
But Bruno didn’t need rotating for a long time. So he’s not getting time at 10. Then in midfield you’ve had the emergence of Mainoo and Casemiro so he’s not getting a look in there on merit.

I think he’ll have a decent career around the PL but it won’t be for a European side.

A shame it didn't work out for him, great name, great hair and a temperament that was fiery. Ultimately never kicked on from youth level for whatever reason but I hope he does ace in his next move and can long term get a career in the Premier league.

Starting for Burnley tonight. He'll either score a worldie or get sent off

Starting for Burnley tonight. He'll either score a worldie or get sent off
That was his 93rd senior match for club or country, he's scored 3 goals and never been sent off (despite the 'he's an inevitable red card' tag he's stuck with).

So, unsurprisingly, it was neither. He got 45 minutes under his belt but was subbed at HT (hopefully the plan given his limited match fitness, rather than based on his performance).

Any details on the deal, the fee and the clauses in place?

Feels very weird that these are not being reported compared to the other deals we have made.

Feels very weird that these are not being reported compared to the other deals we have made.
I thought it was being reported? I've seen £5.4m, potentially rising to £9.4m, quoted in numerous places. And that it does have a sell on and buy-back clauses.

Already reported, you probably just missed it. £5.4m upfront, plus £4m in add-ons. Buyback and sell-on clauses.

I thought it was being reported? I've seen £5.4m, potentially rising to £9.4m, quoted in numerous places. And that it does have a sell on and buy-back clauses.

Already reported, you probably just missed it. £5.4m upfront, plus £4m in add-ons. Buyback and sell-on clauses.

Thank you both, must have missed it.

Any idea on the % of the sell-on clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.