Hannibal Mejbri | signs for Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble is as fans and with players coming out of the youth/reserve teams we generally big them up to be better than they actually are. I have done that many times over the years, yet I can’t really recall anyone going from the youth to a few senior games and being a world beater elsewhere. Pogba might be the only one and he was a couple of levels down. I’m sure if we had real top talent they would be playing here, like CO92, or Mainoo for example.
It's not like we're stacked with world beaters though and Hannibal wasn't the typical academy kid. He was spotted and bought from another country for a particularly steep price for one his age because he was considered one of the best worldwide, which was clear to see when he played in the youth teams.

He was one I genuinely thought would make it as ability-wise and physically, he doesn't really have an obvious weakness, compared to someone like Gomes or even Adnan, plus he's a fighter to boot.

I hope Burnley's new style didn't leave with Kompany as he'll definitely shine there if they play proper football.

How much do you guys think is a fair fee for Hannibal? We got him for around 10m right?

I predict £5 million and around 30% sell on clause. Maybe a buyback but we never use them anyway

Given the chances that have been given to other young players, such as Mainoo and Garnacho, I feel that if he had shown enough promise in training, he'd have been given more chances. Speculation of course, but I don't really have a concern about there being the lack of a first team pathway for academy players. So I suspect he just didn't show enough to truly breakthrough. Under such circumstances, the best thing for him is to move on. There is a decent player in there. Not sure what his final level will be, but he's certainly a reasonably technical and industrious player. At worst he'll be a very good championship player, and I suspect ultimately a decently effective mid=table PL player, like Perreira. Might take him some time and experience to get there.

I am glad he is moving on, for his career, and our squad management, but I am also glad we apparently have a buy back and sell on clause.

Have we ever made money from a sell on clause?
Michael Keane when he joined Everton. I think we got the best part of £10m out of that one.

Pretty sure Lukaku had one when he re-joined Chelsea from Inter Milan as well, though I can't remember how much we got from that.

If he left Monaco because his family fell out with them, it didn't work out with Sevilla because he fell out with teammates, it does suggest we are best to move on from him.

Have we ever made money from a sell on clause?
I don't think we did them all that often in the past, these clauses are like lottery tickets, if you don't have one you can't win. Most of them will end up returning nothing, but occasionally we'll pick a windfall. As long as we don't lower upfront transfer fees too much by putting them in, they're worthwhile.

I'd have liked to see Hannibal make it, but the loans weren't productive, I'm not a fan of sending players to Spain, much rather send them to the championship. Should have had another year there after the Birmingham loan. Wouldn't surprised me if he ended up a cult hero somewhere for a team bouncing around the bottom of the poem top of the championship, strangely enough I could see him at Leeds.

Not mentioned

Ah, no info on sell-on or buy-back. Would expect there to be a hefty sell-on, 40-50% on profit made. Just wonder about the buy-back, especially if this gets his career back on track and there is a managerial change in the next year or two here..

The loan to Sevilla had a buy option that included a sell-on and a buy-back fee, so at that time at least the club wasn't ready to let go fully.

Last edited:
They paid around 20m euros with add ons included for that chelsea kid Humphreys who has 26 apps for swansea in the championship. We paid 10m euros for Hannibal when we signed him at 16 years old. That sell on clause better be huge.

I think we paid around 5m with 5m add-ons. But yes, that sell-on is likely significant. But with a year left we really didn't have too many options given the manager's reluctance to play him.

They paid around 20m euros with add ons included for that chelsea kid Humphreys who has 26 apps for swansea in the championship. We paid 10m euros for Hannibal when we signed him at 16 years old. That sell on clause better be huge.

False equivalence. Teams play lots of money for players who arent worth it all the time. When we signed Hannibal we obviously thought that in time he'd make it here. He hasnt and our manager doesnt rate him

Meanwhile a manager does rate a player who he has seen playing in the championship so he buys him.

False equivalence. Teams play lots of money for players who arent worth it all the time. When we signed Hannibal we obviously thought that in time he'd make it here. He hasnt and our manager doesnt rate him

Meanwhile a manager does rate a player who he has seen playing in the championship so he buys him.

Funniest is when you hear people say, “How much must XXX be worth if Harry Maguire was worth 90 million?” When all that does is prove you probably shouldn’t go near a centre half at 90 million.

Good fee. Looks like a good deal for all parties

Really good deal for a player with a year left on their contract and with little success from playing at the top levels.

I thought the failed Sevilla loan was the nail in the coffin for us receiving any fee for him.

£9m would be very good business given he's only a year left on his deal and is dropping down to the championship.

Still very sad to see him go, and feels like we've really wasted a top young prospect who definitely had enough in his game to have had a real chance of making it with us.

However, from the situation we were in, very happy with that fee and, hopefully, things like a sell on and buy back clause.

Great fee for him.

Again he had plenty of time and chances to show he’s first team material and just fell short.

Status
Not open for further replies.