Hannibal Mejbri | signs for Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Rangers can afford to pay 5m since they won’t get CL money.

Absolutely no chance Rangers are paying anything near that. They are skint. If he comes up here at all it will only be to Celtic, and if they sold O’Reilly. Celtic don’t spend big on players either so wouldn’t be for a lot of money either. They just spent £8.5 million on Idah and that’s being labelled a lot of money so yeah, it won’t be for much money at all if he comes up here.

£8.5 million as they have received money from the Sander sale.

What seems absurd about this is that there was no swap on the table?

A loan or sale to them with Berge coming here for a negligible fee wasn't beneficial?

I'm a bit of a skipping record but people get worked up over "swaps" that are not really a thing or at least not a real type of transaction. In spirit it does happen (see Chelsea dealings) but nearly not that often and it's often fairly shady transactions (see Chelsea dealings).

That only works if both clubs are as willing (not the case for Sancho at PSG for instance) and it makes deals more brittle because of more moving parts.

A loan or sale to them with Berge coming here for a negligible fee wasn't beneficial?
I think the Ugarte deal must be relatively close and to me it seemed it was only ever going to be one or the other.

I'm not sure the Berge links were ever that serious for us. Ugarte is clearly the top priority for that position.

Hopefully the Burnley interest in Hannibal does amount to something. He needs to start playing football, we should be trying to get him off our books and he'd probably do quite well for a dominant team in the Championship. Everybody wins on paper, it'll just come down to how far we get lowballed on the fee.

Another youth player that got overrated and isn't good enough.

He was a different player in the youth levels but by there’s a big difference in levels.
He needs somewhere that’s going to be patient and supportive

Or a youth player fairly rated at youth level who just hasn’t been able to fulfill their early promise. Slightly less whiny way of putting it :)
It's because we produce a lot of decent players to make a team, very very few stand out ones.

Like most teams then? I’d say we’re still one of the best at it.
I'd say we are definitely the best at it. It's why we see our ex players littered everywhere. We just need to not hype up every player that has some talent.

I think he is somewhat underrated. Bit surprised he doesnt get a look in even when we are severely lacking options in CM.
He has a great engine on him, is a fighter and can actually play a fair bit. Keeping him as a squad option would be sensible imo. Kobbie, Casemiro and Scott/ Ugarte seems desperately thin for two positions and 50+ games. Maybe we are working on more deals?

I think he is somewhat underrated. Bit surprised he doesnt get a look in even when we are severely lacking options in CM.
He has a great engine on him, is a fighter and can actually play a fair bit. Keeping him as a squad option would be sensible imo. Kobbie, Casemiro and Scott/ Ugarte seems desperately thin for two positions and 50+ games. Maybe we are working on more deals?

My feeling as well to be honest. But ETH really doesn't seem to like or trust him and places him too far forward when he gets some minutes. For the players sake, let him leave, maybe with a nice first buy option or some sell-on clause. I think, the guy needs regular minutes more than anything and then we'll see, what his actual level is.

He hasn’t really taken the chances that he’s had. Plus he still looks a hothead.
But I agree, you would think someone with his running power would be useful for a high pressing team.
It just seems that ETH doesn’t like him as a player or doesn’t think that he’s ready for this level.

His only decent performance was Burnley and he followed it up with a very poor performance against Palace? if I remember rightly? He's not done anything to really warrant regular minutes with us, he needs to find his position in the top flight, I still don't think he's done that.

Still has issues with his discipline ,ETH doesn’t seem to rate him at all

Another youth player that got overrated and isn't good enough.
We bought him for a decent amount of money when he was very young. Shame it never worked out, but he was very highly rated at one point.

Hannibal has talent but we messed up a crucial period for him where he should've been out on loan at a better footballing side after the Birmingham loan. That period plus him being a hot head cost him in his development. It's clear ETH doesn't rate or trust him to play in a deeper position because all his minutes have come as a 10, which we can all agree is not his best position. ETH only seemed to value him for his terrier like ability which is a bit of a waste. He's an 8, who's best attribute is carrying the ball up the field whilst his passing is also quite good plus he has good stamina. I hope we negotiate a buy-back clause because I think at the right side, he will blossom and could come back a better player who can fit a role in the squad. I believe he's better than Gore (who some seem to hype) and could rotate with Mainoo in that 8 role.

His only decent performance was Burnley and he followed it up with a very poor performance against Palace? if I remember rightly? He's not done anything to really warrant regular minutes with us, he needs to find his position in the top flight, I still don't think he's done that.

It was a quiet performance on the right of a diamond. Not exactly his normal position. ETH was clearly only using him because of lots of injuries in midfield because any other player, with that great goal, would get lots more chances after not 1.

We're still light in midfield positions, even with Ugarte, one can still hope but the boy needs games somewhere for his own sake.

Such a huge talent and seems such a waste.

That's a bit unfair these days I think, he's improved a lot in that regard from the youth days (where he'd be constantly kicked off the pitch, you could hardly blame him).

I have a soft spot for him and am disappointed he wasn't given more of a shot after a couple of promising performances, but it's clear ETH hasn't rated him from the beginning, so best he's moved on.

A few million and a big sell on % will be fine I suppose.

It was a quiet performance on the right of a diamond. Not exactly his normal position. ETH was clearly only using him because of lots of injuries in midfield because any other player, with that great goal, would get lots more chances after not 1.
Maybe, but I guess that goal was within the context of already losing quite heavily, so he had bigger problems to address than finding Hannibals best position. The Sevilla debacle was the nail in the coffin really, I think in a more settled team he could get more chances.

That's a bit unfair these days I think, he's improved a lot in that regard from the youth days (where he'd be constantly kicked off the pitch, you could hardly blame him).

I have a soft spot for him and am disappointed he wasn't given more of a shot after a couple of promising performances, but it's clear ETH hasn't rated him from the beginning, so best he's moved on.

A few million and a big sell on % will be fine I suppose.
He defo got booted around a lot at youth level but to be fair since the beginning of his Birmingham season he's averaged a yellow every 160 odd minutes, it's not great

I only caught the last 10 mins of Utd v Liverpool and in that time he got booked for something he wasn’t getting to
Making a rash tackle in the heat of the moment should not mean he has issues with discipline imo.
I don`t mind it if our players bruise up scousers every now and then tbh

He defo got booted around a lot at youth level but to be fair since the beginning of his Birmingham season he's averaged a yellow every 160 odd minutes, it's not great
Fair enough, that's not great. Anyway I hope he does well. He hasn't kicked on as many of us would have hoped, but I think he can easily still become a solid Europa level midfielder if he finds a bit of consistency.

He's full of industry but just seems a bit brainless to me. He also isn't the cleanest passer of the ball.

Another squad player that we should let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.