Guardiola's Press Conference - So what do you think?

Wasn't there a poll on this forum a little while ago in which 8/10 among our fans voted that they would love to see him managing our club? I know that he signed to City but this surely isn't a good enough reason to start consider him a "plain" manager.

Anyway, in my opinion he's the most important manager of the last decade in terms of bringing something new to the game. It's not so much about whether it was his tactical nous or the incredible quality of his players more important in creating one of the greatest football sides of all time, it's more about the circumstances under which this particular team was created.

Football was much different in the early 00s, the norm was to defend with ten men behind the ball and look for the spaces to hit on the counter. All big clubs were happy to allow the opponent have the lion's share of possession, their goal was to defend in tight spaces in their half and then use quick attacking transition in order to create the big spaces in the attacking half. Everybody did it in various degrees in order to become successful in Europe, Ferguson in his greatest United in Europe (2008-09), Chelsea, Arsenal (2006), Milan, Juventus, Rafa at Liverpool and the list goes on and on. The most prolific new manager this type of football produced was Mourinho whose expertise was good defensive organization, excellent reading of the opponent and lightning speed transition.

Guardiola went completely against the grain and he deserves full credit for that. Until then applying very high pressing was considered an act of suicide by most football experts. Until then working on technical and short passing, on building attacks patiently and on controlling the tempo by having the ball was way down on the list of things that could lead to European dominance. On the contrary, it seemed like playing right into a counter attacking team's hands. But not only it worked but it also changed the whole map of European football and the way the game is played. This alone earns Guardiola a place among a very short list of footballing persons. It doesn't take anything away from managers like Mourinho or even Ferguson who excelled at the game without reforming it but it is an achievement in itself.

I, for once, am glad Manchester will be center of this battle of football philosophies. And i'm happy we have Jose because i believe that his style suits our players better and it's much closer to what the fans of this club have learned to appreciate over the years. I truly believe that, if everything clicks together well, we'll have a side as strong as Ferguson's 2007-08 & 2008-09 United in two years time under Mourinho. But i also admit that my biggest fear is Pep leading City to a CL win during his time at the club.

Last edited:
Of course those teams were not completely the same but the core was completely the same. 8 of the players were the same. Their best players were the same. There is no point discussing this any further. If you do not think that the players I mentioned are the backbone of that Barca team then that is your opinion...
By the way about the game in Rome, it was completely even in my opinion. They taught us a lesson in 2011 when they easily brushed us aside not in 2009...

Fair enough man. We will agree to disagree.

I definitely disagree about Rome 2009. Apart from the first ten minutes, we just watched them play around us. They operated much better as a team whilst Ronaldo tried to make it all about Ronaldo.

I'd recommend reading Graham Hunters Barca book though. It spotlights what I believe was an excellent job done by Guardiola, and highlights a lot of things he did which I didn't know about. For me it definitely quashes the myth that anybody could have managed that team.

I honestly don't see the comparisons between LVG and Pep.

Interesting that he admitted how good of a situation he walked into when he took over Barca.
Goes against the grain when posters claim what a huge job he had on his hands.

Interesting that he admitted how good of a situation he walked into when he took over Barca.
Goes against the grain when posters claim what a huge job he had on his hands.
Just because he found it easy doesn't mean it was. It just means he deals with hard tasks quite easily.

In fact, the fact that he thought he had it easy at Barca suggests that he can deal with much harder jobs then that.

Just because he found it easy doesn't mean it was. It just means he deals with hard tasks quite easily.

In fact, the fact that he thought he had it easy at Barca suggests that he can deal with much harder jobs then that.
If Pep thinks it was easy we can only believe him. It's not as if Barca were struggling before or after Pep's reign.

I don't see why the hate for Guardiola however I do think he has a big job to get City to win the PL this season. He has some good players however some of those are getting along now and they need new blood in the team. I understand they have three new players Zinchenko, Nolito and Ilkay Gundogan. Gundogan though is injured and so is Kompany. Aguero and Silva were injured quite a bit last season and if Pep wants to win the PL he will need to make sure those players are fit throughout. As I said in the OP, I expect Guardiola to have a tough first season but his second season should be better.

I think Mourinho has the league though, if he can keeps our players fit and not in the PhysioRoom. He is accustomed to the league and knows the different teams and managers. If he can do what he did with Chelsea the first time then I will be happy.

If Pep thinks it was easy we can only believe him. It's not as if Barca were struggling before or after Pep's reign.
What he thinks is easy doesn't mean what is easy. I think degree level Engineering is easy. I doubt people view it that way though.

What he thinks is easy doesn't mean what is easy. I think degree level Engineering is easy. I doubt people view it that way though.
But at the top level would others think degree level engineering is easy? The average man wouldn't but nobody is comparing Pep to average managers. Barca did win the league the season after Pep left despite having no manger in charge for the second half of the season.
Barca took a manager from a mid table club, someone who struggled badly in Italy and won the treble in his first season!

No because it clearly wouldn't be true.

So you believe what fits your narrative.

But at the top level would others think degree level engineering is easy? The average man wouldn't but nobody is comparing Pep to average managers. Barca did win the league the season after Pep left despite having no manger in charge for the second half of the season.
Barca took a manager from a mid table club, someone who struggled badly in Italy and won the treble in his first season!

Tito was Pep's right hand for years. Why did we lose everything with Tata Martino? Surely a team as good as Barca plus Alexis Sanchez and Neymar doesn't need a manager yet that happened.
If you follow La Liga, you know that Enrique did a very good job with Celta Vigo, and Barca B before that. His Roma wasn't that bad considering he was at a toxic club, their fans know he was dealt a bad hand.

So you believe what fits your narrative.

Tito was Pep's right hand for years. Why did we lose everything with Tata Martino? Surely a team as good as Barca plus Alexis Sanchez and Neymar doesn't need a manager yet that happened.
If you follow La Liga, you know that Enrique did a very good job with Celta Vigo, and Barca B before that. His Roma wasn't that bad considering he was at a toxic club, their fans know he was dealt a bad hand.
A good job at a mid table club and still a failure in Italy.
Nothing to do with a narrative. I didn't say it, Pep did.
How is believing what Pep says over your made up quote following a narrative?
Who are you?

Who are you?

:lol:

Are you missing the point on purpose? Pep has always been that modest, he's won everything and never came out to claim anything. I'd take his peers words for it. You clearly think it's an easy job, which I may say is stupid and very simplistic. If you think it's that easy, why couldn't we win under Roura or Tata Martino?

Pep has always been that modest, he's won everything and never came out to claim anything.
This. Pep could win the treble next season with City and would simply say that the players deserve all the credit and that it's easy to coach such a brilliant squad. It's just how he is or at least how he talks in press conferences.

Who are you?
Guardiola is clearly being modest
Comeon man....
Managing any football club is hard work especially one with huge stars.

:lol:

Are you missing the point on purpose? Pep has always been that modest, he's won everything and never came out to claim anything. I'd take his peers words for it. You clearly think it's an easy job, which I may say is stupid and very simplistic. If you think it's that easy, why couldn't we win under Roura or Tata Martino?
Because you simply cannot win the league and CL every year?
At the same junction can you explain to me why he couldn't win the CL with Bayern in 3 years?
Pep may be modest but at the same time he doesn't bullshit.
Im just quoting Pep and called it interesting, you're the one jumping on it, making up quotes and now simply dismissing it because it doesn't suit your idea, your narrative of his Barca tenure.
I'll believe Pep. All he has to say was it was a difficult job, difficult circumstances etc. He didn't have to say it was easy.
That is too different sides of the spectrum.
But then what does Pep know? He's such a nice guy.

I doubt it. A lot of people I know who are taking an engineering course with me find it very difficult. It just so happens I have a propensity for it compared to other people.

Just because Pep believes his job is easy doesn't mean it is. I'm sure Messi finds scoring 30+ goals a season pretty easy too, doesn't mean it is. That Barca job was not easy and the fact he said it was suggests a certain level of ability from him.

I doubt it. A lot of people I know who are taking an engineering course with me find it very difficult. It just so happens I have a propensity for it compared to other people.

Just because Pep believes his job is easy doesn't mean it is. I'm sure Messi finds scoring 30+ goals a season pretty easy too, doesn't mean it is. That Barca job was not easy and the fact he said it was suggests a certain level of ability from him.
Maybe but I see no reason why we shouldn't believe him. He made all these claims that are dismissed because 'He's modest' but in the same breath he talked about how difficult it was at Bayern implementing his Spanish style with German players in a German league. So he's only modest when talking about Barca?
I'll say this. Rijkaard's job was a lot harder then the job Guardiola had imo.
We'll agree to disagree.

Maybe but I see no reason why we shouldn't believe him. He made all these claims that are dismissed because 'He's modest' but in the same breath he talked about how difficult it was at Bayern implementing his Spanish style with German players in a German league. So he's only modest when talking about Barca?
We'll agree to disagree.
I don't think you realise many in the public eye are media trained.

We'll agree to disagree.
You can take his word. Take his word and believe he felt the job was easy. Doesn't mean it was easy just means he thought it was easy. I'm sure most managers wouldn't say it was easy.

If Mourinho came out and said that he found his previous jobs to be easy, would you then just go "Oh, he found them easy so they must be easy for every one"? You wouldn't, you would say that he is impressive if he found those jobs to be easy considering what he had to do in them.

I would say that this Man City job is slightly harder then the Barcelona job he took to begin with.

This thread makes me want to dig up quotes many posters on here made about Mourinho before he signed.

How quickly opinions can change, eh? :wenger:

I can see him doing a Vangle at City. Keeping possession at any cost, lowering expectations, first time managing in England after Barca/Bayern. I can see the similarities.

So I want to ask most of the posters in this thread who say what a fantastic job he did and what a great manager he is, about Luis Enrique. Based on those assumptions he must be an equally good manager if not the best in the world, he won the treble in his first season and the double in his second, brushing almost everyting aside apart from a period of one month that cost them another treble? Therefore he must be the best in the world...

Remember how the press destroyed Villas Boas
I do. That was disgraceful no matter what team you supported with leading and respected journalists like Martin Samuel attacking him personally and basically calling him mentally unstable.

Pep won't get an easy ride either. I want him to fail at City but not that way. The English press and their mob mentality can be quite disgusting.

So I want to ask most of the posters in this thread who say what a fantastic job he did and what a great manager he is, about Luis Enrique. Based on those assumptions he must be an equally good manager if not the best in the world, he won the treble in his first season and the double in his second, brushing almost everyting aside apart from a period of one month that cost them another treble? Therefore he must be the best in the world...

He deserves a lot of credit but unlike Guardiola he didn't inherit a club on the back of a terrible season, he has failed to bring through youth players and his style of play isn't innovative.

Innovation is the big one. That's a huge reason why people rate Guardiola so highly - it's not just trophies.

Don't see the need to denigrate a manager like Pep just because he's at that shower of shite. Will he be a failure, who knows... his track record in the league is impressive and yes whilst he has managed superpower clubs, he might surprise people and make them a more cohesive side than last year. Gundogan, Nolito and Bonnuci would all be solid signings, nothing spectacular but incrementally definitely an improvement on their squad of last year. They'll definitely be top 3 bare minimum and it wouldn't surprise me if they're favourites for the title.

Am I happy Jose is here and do I want him to make Pep look incompetent, hell yeah but let the football do the talking, instead of getting drawn into Bluemoonesque bile.

I think Pep did the right thing in this interview/unveiling with regards to the British press. Keep things as low key as possible and hope they don't pay much attention to you so you can get on with your job in peace.

The problem will come for him if City starts slowly, or have a bad patch - it will be interesting to see how he deals with that. I have a feeling he'll fall out with them big time. As he's managing the enemy, I hope that happens:D

Seriously though, no need to engage the press too much until you absolutely have to as they're awful.

I do. That was disgraceful no matter what team you supported with leading and respected journalists like Martin Samuel attacking him personally and basically calling him mentally unstable.

Pep won't get an easy ride either. I want him to fail at City but not that way. The English press and their mob mentality can be quite disgusting.
Yep
Typical English media with their agenda and loving to bring people down.

This thread makes me want to dig up quotes many posters on here made about Mourinho before he signed.

How quickly opinions can change, eh? :wenger:

It'd probably be very interesting. It's understandable that a lot of United fans will back Mourinho to the hilt over Guardiola, but there's no denying that Guardiola is a world class manager. Not just anyone could have done what he did. He took over a club that was 18 points off Real Madrid in 1st, and 10 points off Villarreal in second, only 3 points ahead of Atlético Madrid in 4th.

He then moved on Deco, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, Thuram (retired), who between them had 124 appearances the season before (the majority of them starts), he also brought in Keita, Alves and Pique who would all go on to be instrumental. He promoted Busquets and Pedro from the cantera. At the end of that debut season, he'd won the Copa del Rey, the league title (by 9 points) and the Champions League, he deserves a lot of credit for that, it was hardly a completely ready made side.

He deserves a lot of credit but unlike Guardiola he didn't inherit a club on the back of a terrible season, he has failed to bring through youth players and his style of play isn't innovative.

Innovation is the big one. That's a huge reason why people rate Guardiola so highly - it's not just trophies.

This discussion is getting nowhere. I respect your opinion but I do not agree with you.

Johan Cruyff was the innovator he changed everything so that Barca is where it is now. Then Rijkaard's team was simply astonishing and yet, I agree for one reason or another, they had two terrible seasons. Did Guardiola inherit a terrible team and change everything? No, he did not. He inherited Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Toure, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Messi, Henry. I am not saying that he is a terrible manager but in my opinion it doesn't have to be a genius to win everything with that team. Almost everyone who tried to manage them in the last 10 years won everything...First Rijkaard, then Guardiola, and now Luis Enrique...Tata Martino was the only one who failed to do so but apparently he has a strange personality, quarrels with his stars and has a terrible relationship with Messi. As I have already stated a couple of times they won the title and almost won the champions league in the year of Tito Villanova when they actually were without a coach...

Finally, he inherited an awesome Bayern team that totally smashed everything and played some terrific footbal and lost all the important games he had, when he was totally outclassed and tactically outplayed by the opposition. I think that even you would agree that winning the Bundeslinga with Bayern is not the most difficult thing in the world especially after buying Dortmund's best players year after year...

Last edited:
This discussion is getting nowhere. I respect your opinion but I do not agree with you.

Johan Cruyff was the innovator he changed everything so that Barca is where it is now. Then Rijkaard's team was simply astonishing and yet, I agree for one reason or another, they had two terrible seasons. Did Guardiola inherit a terrible team and change everything? No, he did not. He inherited Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Toure, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Messi, Henry. I am not saying that he is a terrible manager but in my opinion it doesn't have to be a genius to win everything with that team. Almost everyone who tried to manage them in the last 10 years won everything...First Rijkaard, then Guardiola, and now Luis Enrique...Tata Martino was the only one who failed to do so but apparently he has a strange personality, quarrels with his stars and has a terrible relationship with Messi. As I have already stated a couple of times they won the title and almost won the champions league in the year of Tito Villanova when they actually were without a coach...

When they won the title "without a coach" they still had Tito Vilanova for a good number of months - what he instructed them to do wasn't going to suddenly be forgotten when he was sick and Jordi Roura stepped in. The problem came when Jordi Roura tried to squeeze every last drop out of what Vilanova (and indirectly, Guardiola) had been doing over prior months that they were exposed and lost the Champions League. You can't go as long as he went without rotating - players were picking up injuries, Xavi was playing on painkillers every week.

When you have a squad that good, you're never going to completely tank, but that doesn't mean it's not a great job to win the treble.

It's also horseshit to completely forget that very, very few rookie managers would walk into Barcelona and bin two of their big stars, try to sell another (Eto'o), bench another (Touré) and start a 19 (?) Year old centre back.

I agree that you don't need to be a genius to win trophies with Barcelona. What Pep did was more than just winning trophies though - he did it while playing the most attractive football many have ever seen, and did it while bringing through key youth players.

When they won the title "without a coach" they still had Tito Vilanova for a good number of months - what he instructed them to do wasn't going to suddenly be forgotten when he was sick and Jordi Roura stepped in. The problem came when Jordi Roura tried to squeeze every last drop out of what Vilanova (and indirectly, Guardiola) had been doing over prior months that they were exposed and lost the Champions League. You can't go as long as he went without rotating - players were picking up injuries, Xavi was playing on painkillers every week.

When you have a squad that good, you're never going to completely tank, but that doesn't mean it's not a great job to win the treble.

It's also horseshit to completely forget that very, very few rookie managers would walk into Barcelona and bin two of their big stars, try to sell another (Eto'o), bench another (Touré) and start a 19 (?) Year old centre back.

I agree that you don't need to be a genius to win trophies with Barcelona. What Pep did was more than just winning trophies though - he did it while playing the most attractive football many have ever seen, and did it while bringing through key youth players.

Now I am starting to agree with you . Most of the things you say are completely true. We just disagree on Guardiola, yes I agree that he is a good manager but nothing more. That is where we tend to disagree. Thanks for your opinion and for the nice discussion and lets hope I am right and he would totally fail with City...

Barcelona's first team based on amount of starts in Rijkaard's first season:

Valdes
Zambrotta---Milito---Puyol---Abidal
Iniesta---Toure---Xavi
Messi---Eto'o---Henry

Barcelona in 2011 (Pep's peak side):

Valdes
Alves---Pique---Puyol/Maxwell---Abidal
Iniesta---Busquets---Xavi
Pedro---Messi---Villa

That's half of the team changed in 3 years and a noticeable improvement from 3rd place to the greatest team of all time. Not to mention the fact that 27 year old Xavi was an inconsistent and not even world class CM under Rijkaard, Iniesta was a 23 year old who wasn't even mentioned in the greatest of his generation debates and Messi was an inconsistent 20 year old who only scored 16 goals that season.

Pep elevated these guys games in 1 season to freakish levels. Messi doubled his tally with 38 goals the next season under Pep, Xavi got around 30 assists and Iniesta became the best attacking midfielder in the world.

Last edited: