Guardiola's Press Conference - So what do you think?

Yeah that was my first thought too.
It's also a very blinkered view.

He is right about one thing though. Chelsea do have the best academy in England. Just play the bastards for fecks sake!!!!!

I don't think he'll flop LVG style, but I also don't think he'll be a roaring success. Possibly one league title, an FA cup and a CL semi final. He'll then be off.
Yep that's what both will achieve in 3 years methinks, Pep and our manager.

I admire him and was desperate for him to come here.
People don't realize how similar his approach is to LVG.
I also think City will have a lot of boring games but crucially they will get the goals they need to win games.
That's why I think he will succeed at what LVG failed to do.
He isn't as rigid as to what his players do in the final third and like LVG he doesn't mind his team playing long balls. Bayern played a lot of long balls using Boateng.
LVG had Blind playing those balls. I wonder who Pep will use.
I think it's crucial for him Aguero stays fit because without him, teams might find it way to shut hem out with this possession system.
I also think he will be desperate another striker.

I'm intrigued at how well he does.
I obviously want him to fail, but this is by far his biggest test yet.

At Bayern and Barca he has had it pretty easy in terms of competition, so this is a whole different scenario. Will definitely show his true worth though

He's also not wrong about the academy stuff. I terms of investment and facilities, Chelsea and City are way ahead of everyone.

At Bayern and Barca he has had it pretty easy in terms of competition, so this is a whole different scenario. Will definitely show his true worth though
I don't think he had it easy in Spain. Madrid only finished a couple of points behind each time he won the league. And he finished second in his final season.

I think we are back at a stage teams will need 90+ points to win the league. Pep and a Mourinho will push themselves and their tams to new heights.

I don't think he had it easy in Spain. Madrid only finished a couple of points behind each time he won the league. And he finished second in his final season.

I more mean that against most teams in that league, he could set up how he wanted, didn't need a plan B as they would be most teams.
in this league he will need a plan b, he will need to be more tactically aware and make decisions correctly and efficiently.

Real pushed them but that was about it

I will definitely follow the PL more from next season on. Special attention to Klopp and Pep. Mou will need no special attention, there will be no escaping him.

It's the same for any other top manager in the EPL: Klopp, Conte, Pochettino, Wenger... You can include Mourinho too, given that he wasn't a big success at Real and Chelsea 2 and haven't won the CL with a top top club but only with underdogs.

Ian Herbert at it again :D

The one difference between Mourinho's and Pep's presser was that Mourinho was speaking from a position of experience in the league which is comforting. Pep like many new managers in the league will need to gain that experience the hard way.

The one thing that was common between the two was that they were both boring as feck.

Ian Herbert at it again :D

He is right, but one could also say Guardiola is playing it safe while Mourinho puts a lot of pressure on himself because he is so intent on winning.

Methinks you're reading too much into press conferences. Not your fault, seems this is the in thing to do nowadays. When did they become so fascinating?

I've no real interest in press conferences myself but I did watch this one and Mourinho's and I found the contrast interesting. You can tell Mourinho is delighted to be here and is bullish about what he can achieve. Guardiola didn't give that impression on either count. I'd personally be deeply concerned about Guardiola if I was a City fan. His priorities and City's priorities don't seem to be aligned at all.

I've not read much around Guardiola and City so I might've completely misjudged things, but it looked like he didn't really want to be there. He wants to be in the Premier League for his own personal ambitions, but he has no interest in staying at City long-term and the reason he joined was ostensibly because they were the only one to give him a real offer. So he's "grateful" to City for allowing him to test himself in the Premier League. He clearly has a strong need to show he can play his football in England.

Just like I thought (in the Pep Bayern thread). After Barcelona & Bayern, Pep wants full control in a sense that he can change club philosophy entirely with his possession football.
1. Lesser club doesn't have standard established philosophy & tradition & record to compare, so he has a free reign: play whatever style or suicidal tactic with no question ask.
2. City doesn't have tradition and attachment to players means: no pride in English core like Barcelona with Spanish, Bayern with German and us with British = sell, sign and play whoever he sees fit with no questions asked.
3. Automatically become their most hyped manager in the history despite of proving nothing.
4. Put his philosophy first before club success, so clubs are only his project, thus wants to avoid confront and politic.

Gonna be his biggest challenge up to date since City doesn't possess a firm foundation as Bayern and Barcelona, and the culture of underdog is against his philosophy.

Last edited:
I've no real interest in press conferences myself but I did watch this one and Mourinho's and I found the contrast interesting. You can tell Mourinho is delighted to be here and is bullish about what he can achieve. Guardiola didn't give that impression on either count. I'd personally be deeply concerned about Guardiola if I was a City fan. His priorities and City's priorities don't seem to be aligned at all.

I've not read much around Guardiola and City so I might've completely misjudged things, but it looked like he didn't really want to be there. He wants to be in the Premier League for his own personal ambitions, but he has no interest in staying at City long-term and the reason he joined was ostensibly because they were the only one to give him a real offer. So he's "grateful" to City for allowing him to test himself in the Premier League. He clearly has a strong need to show he can play his football in England.

Come on now. This is Guardiola, perhaps the world's most coveted manager, and you're suggesting he's chosen a team that he doesn't actually want to manage. Guardiola has been honest and made it clear he has joined City for personal ambition, but that was always going to be the case for whichever sides he joined after he left Barcelona. He has no prior connection to City so what is he supposed to say? He joined Bayern for personal ambition too before building up a connection with their fans and their players, and he will do the same at City. As he said, if he wanted to build legacies, he'd have never left Barcelona. Plus he's a completely different personality to Mourinho so of course the press conferences are going to be different, but you're kidding yourself if you think Guardiola is going to be less committed or less devoted to his job than Mourinho.

Come on now. This is Guardiola, perhaps the world's most coveted manager, and you're suggesting he's chosen a team that he doesn't actually want to manage. Guardiola has been honest and made it clear he has joined City for personal ambition, but that was always going to be the case for whichever sides he joined after he left Barcelona. He has no prior connection to City so what is he supposed to say? He joined Bayern for personal ambition too before building up a connection with their fans and their players, and he will do the same at City. As he said, if he wanted to build legacies, he'd have never left Barcelona. Plus he's a completely different personality to Mourinho so of course the press conferences are going to be different, but you're kidding yourself if you think Guardiola is going to be less committed or less devoted to his job than Mourinho.

I think he sounded like Mourinho last season. Unenthused by the club and a bit jaded by football in general. He was honest - without being brutally so - and that's respectable. I was just a little surprised. He's done Spain, done Germany, presumably has no interest in PSG and nothing took his fancy in Italy so City was right time, right place. I'm sure it's no different to how Ancelotti felt when he joined Chelsea and he had some success. I'm sure it happens all the time in fact. It just struck me as odd.

I think he sounded like Mourinho last season. Unenthused by the club and a bit jaded by football in general. He was honest - without being brutally so - and that's respectable. I was just a little surprised. He's done Spain, done Germany, presumably has no interest in PSG and nothing took his fancy in Italy so City was right time, right place. I'm sure it's no different to how Ancelotti felt when he joined Chelsea and he had some success. I'm sure it happens all the time in fact. It just struck me as odd.

I think you're reading far too much into a press conference. Watch the video of him training City players in his first session. His enthusiasm and energy is obvious. That's something that actually matters, not some irrelevant press conference with monotonous questions. Those who know him say no one is as obsessed as he is. The idea he's somehow unenthusiastic because of his demeanour and comments in a press conference, something most managers dislike and which he even mentions in the video he dislikes, is just wishful thinking.

I've only read a transcript, will watch it later, but I read a lot of 'try to', which Moyes was lambasted for.

Mourinho press conference was nothing out of the ordinary, but I think he said what needed to be said and gave a clear message to the players that its a new start and we aim to win straight away - nothing arrogant, just to the point.

Id agree with the initial poster, its not to say that he wont be fully committed, he will. But most of, if not all his enthusiasm was towards the league and the country.

I feel sorry for him that he has gone from Barca to Bayern and now to fecking City!!! :lol: Must feel unreal to be a City fan right now but I reckon he's going to get found out, because there's no way the EPL is going to be as easy as the Bundesliga or La Liga with just one or two teams dominating the rest of the league.

He is right to be wary of the English press. I think they would love for him to be 'found out' and they don't particularly take well to outsiders with philosophies that are completely contrast to theirs. He will be best served by not being an arrogant knobhead like Van Gaal was towards them,although they will obviously try and provoke a reaction out of him.

Didn't watch it, still think he's a knob. I've made no secret of not liking him or his style of football. Can't see him trying to emulate what he did at Barca and Bayern in the PL and if he is not smart enough to realize it won't work here then I will enjoy a few wines and laugh when his team face plants.

edit:

* He is at City to prove that he can do possession and passing football.

Well well... I hope he does try it. This should be very very interesting, I'm predicting that, much like Van Gaal, it won't work.

This is the first time he doesn't have the best team in the league and more than one domestic challenger. This is his personal Everest. If he fails to win either the league or CL during his 3 years, his legacy in football will be forever tarnished with a big question mark over players vs playing philosophy.

I admire him and was desperate for him to come here.
People don't realize how similar his approach is to LVG.
I also think City will have a lot of boring games but crucially they will get the goals they need to win games.
That's why I think he will succeed at what LVG failed to do.
He isn't as rigid as to what his players do in the final third and like LVG he doesn't mind his team playing long balls. Bayern played a lot of long balls using Boateng.
LVG had Blind playing those balls. I wonder who Pep will use.
I think it's crucial for him Aguero stays fit because without him, teams might find it way to shut hem out with this possession system.
I also think he will be desperate another striker.

Really? Aguero, Nolito, Illeanacho, Bony isn't enough? I don't think they need more strikers. Weird considering people think Ibra, Rooney, Rashford is enough for us.

Really? Aguero, Nolito, Illeanacho, Bony isn't enough? I don't think they need more strikers. Weird considering people think Ibra, Rooney, Rashford is enough for us.

Nolito isn't a striker and Bony is shit. Adisa has a point.

City are milking this a bit aren't they? How many unveilings has he had now?!

Really hope he flops badly

I've only read a transcript, will watch it later, but I read a lot of 'try to', which Moyes was lambasted for.

Mourinho press conference was nothing out of the ordinary, but I think he said what needed to be said and gave a clear message to the players that its a new start and we aim to win straight away - nothing arrogant, just to the point.
I didn't like that either to be honest. I don't think he wanted to make any grandiose statements though that could end up thrown back at his face.

Pep is a great manager no doubt, but I swear a potato has more personality than him.

I think he will do good at City. Good but not great.

Id agree with the initial poster, its not to say that he wont be fully committed, he will. But most of, if not all his enthusiasm was towards the league and the country.
He's a football romantic only in the second place, that's why he left Bayern and Barcelona. I think after his mixed experiences with the Barca and Bayern brass he made the actual working conditions at a club his top priority.

He is a perfectionist and I think he figured that City provides a better environment than any other PL club. While working in the PL is certainly a dream of his, City with Begiristain and its financial possibilities is the logical choice for the implemenation of his ideas. So it's definitely the conditions at City that appealed to him more than the other PL clubs. Therefore I'm convinced he has true enthusiasm for the project, although his kind words towards the club are mostly likely just diplomacy.

And don't read too much into his press conferences. He hates the press and most of the time just says meaningless stuff to get it over with.

There's understandably a lot of flak being thrown his way, being the manager of City and all, but I'm so excited to see how he performs with this City side. His Barcelona side was the best football team I've ever seen, and he had Bayern playing great football too. I think having him and Mourinho in the league is really going to elevate the level, I think having two of the best managers in the world will make the other top teams improve their game also. The rivalry between these two managers, at these two rival clubs, is awesome for a neutral.

I honestly wonder why people care enough to watch it.
I couldn't be fagged, either. Heard a bit on the radio and it was nothing more than you'd expect, the pleasant well mannered tone of someone introducing themselves to their new homestay family. In truth, I'd have rather had him than Mourinho given the choice. But now we are the devil lets go full evil and steamroller him into his first and career-defining second place failure. At least let's try.

I have alwyas thought he is extremely overvalued because the Barcelona side he managed could be managed by myself with similar success. They are just the generation of our lifetime and play together since early age, at least most of them. Look at Frank Rijkard, his Barcelona team were outrageous but he has failed everywhere ever since...Luis Enrique was just mediocre in Roma and in Spain but now looks like the greatest manager in the world.

He is a real perfectionist,ok, I am afraid of that but some of the decisions he took as a Barcelona and Bayern coach were a complete joke, The game he lost against Barca with Bayern, when he played with three defenders marking Suarez, Messi and Neymar was just pathetic, every other coach would be sacked for that game only. They year before he was completely outplayed by Ancelotti's counter attacking Real, they just destoyed them, and he was again outplayed by Simeone (if it was not for pure luck in the second game against Juve they would not be there at all, nevermind they thrashed them in the first game...). In his last year as a Barca coach, when he played Fabregas as a false 9 and Messi behind him was one of the most astonishing use of personnel I have ever seen and I am sure even Van Gaal would look at that with bewilderment. Basically with Bayern he had 5-6 imortant games in his stint and lost most of them apart from Juve and was tactically outplayed in every single one of them. I am not overestimating my abilities but I think that I would be able to make that Bayern team German champions in the last 3 years.

I really hope, I am right on him but I really do not like him and have never liked his tactics. He has made some huge tactical blunders and I hope he will continue to do so.

I have alwyas thought he is extremely overvalued because the Barcelona side he managed could be managed by myself with similar success. They are just the generation of our lifetime and play together since early age, at least most of them. Look at Frank Rijkard, his Barcelona team were outrageous but he has failed everywhere ever since...Luis Enrique was just mediocre in Roma and in Spain but now looks like the greatest manager in the world.

He is a real perfectionist,ok, I am afraid of that but some of the decisions he took as a Barcelona and Bayern coach were a complete joke, The game he lost against Barca with Bayern, when he played with three defenders marking Suarez, Messi and Neymar was just pathetic, every other coach would be sacked for that game only. They year before he was completely outplayed by Ancelotti's counter attacking Real, they just destoyed them, and he was again outplayed by Simeone (if it was not for pure luck in the second game against Juve they would not be there at all, nevermind they thrashed them in the first game...). In his last year as a Barca coach, when he played Fabregas as a false 9 and Messi behind him was one of the most astonishing use of personnel I have ever seen and I am sure even Van Gaal would look at that with bewilderment. Basically with Bayern he had 5-6 imortant games in his stint and lost most of them apart from Juve and was tactically outplayed in every single one of them. I am not overestimating my abilities but I think that I would be able to make that Bayern team German champions in the last 3 years.

I really hope, I am right on him but I really do not like him and have never liked his tactics. He has made some huge tactical blunders and I hope he will continue to do so.
Yes, I'm sure you could turn a Barcelona side that had finished third behind Real and Villareal the previous season (almost 10 points behind Villarreal too and 17 behind Real ) into the best side in Europe. That too without any major signings.

I'm sure Rikjaard before him just chose not to the previous season.