Guardiola's Press Conference - So what do you think?

Yes, I'm sure you could turn a Barcelona side that had finished third behind Real and Villareal the previous season (almost 10 points behind Villarreal too and 17 behind Real ) into the best side in Europe. That too without any major signings.

I'm sure Rikjaard before him just chose not to the previous season.

Well, excuse me but it was not the same, Ronaldinho was the problem that year he stopped playing and started going clubbing and destroying the atmosphere in the team..Moreover, when one team win everything it is very difficult to motivate them to win everything again the next year, that is why no team have won the Champions League two years in a row, even not Barca...What is more, you can absolutely say the same about Rijkaard when he took the job because Real were dominating like hell and then after Martino, Luis Enrique took the job and won the treble. In 2012-2013 Barcelona became champions and were unlucky to be eliminated by Chelsea in the semi finals of the Champions League even without a head coach. I repeat without a head coach. There are only two-three differences between Guardiola's and Rijkaard teams- Dani Alves, Yaya Toure and Henry and then Pedro and Villa, the core of that team was absolutely the same. This Barca team are playing together and are taught how to play together since a very early age. That is how their academy works. His tactical decisions most of the time, especially when he decided to change that 4-3-3 the Barcelona team always used and have been using all the time ( even in their academy) he started his downfall. The tactical decisions were totally strange to say the least. That continued with his Bayern team that was thrashing everything on their way and then were totally outplayed and outsmarted in most of the important games they had to play in his reign. That is just my opinion on the matter.

There are some seriously stupid posts on here comparing Guardiola to a potato or run-of-the-mill managers.

Last edited:
Wow. Two really poor posts on the bounce. Hattrick is on here.

Fine interview, not exciting if that's what people were looking for. He knows it's going to be tough like for everyone else so understandably he is being cautious. I don't doubt he will be able to bring in a distinct style to city which will help them in the long run if managed properly.

I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but it sounded like a typical Guardiola press conference to me, albeit in English. The whole style, tone of voice, mildly equivocal, saying nothing very much. He used to sound like that at Barcelona, when he was doing routine press conferences.

It's his standard press persona, only broken in times of stress and even then usually with a kind of deliberate edge that makes it sound like he doesn't want to give away too many free sound bites.

He looks a different figure when you see him supervising training sessions or nagging from the touch line. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts as the season goes on, Mourinho's presence in town will probably act as a good diversion/shield for the next few months.

What do I think? I think he's a bald twat who will probably do something stupid like play Fernandinho at CB and have everyone fawn over how great he is tactically.

I don't know why people think Pep and Jose hate each other. They are friends lol

I think you're reading far too much into a press conference. Watch the video of him training City players in his first session. His enthusiasm and energy is obvious. That's something that actually matters, not some irrelevant press conference with monotonous questions. Those who know him say no one is as obsessed as he is. The idea he's somehow unenthusiastic because of his demeanour and comments in a press conference, something most managers dislike and which he even mentions in the video he dislikes, is just wishful thinking.

Maybe so. I don't particularly hope Guardiola fails spectacularly, to be honest. I'm quite interested to see what he does with City. My gut reaction was just one of disappointment. If things are going well then I think he'll be as committed and obsessive as always but I genuinely think there's the possibility that if things don't go well he'll lose interest in his project because he has no interest in the team. Perhaps when he brings in a few of his own players he'll feel a bit more attached to his team.

Mentions Chelsea and City as the best academies.. hilarious. I honestly think City have told him he can never mention United when praising aspects of other clubs, they are that small time.

In all honestly I'm more worried about City splashing the cash and buying ready made world class players than I am of Pep. It's no secret I always wanted Mourinho over Pep, because, well... I don't rate him. Of course that could bite me in the ass and he could dominate England but I don't see that happening. He'll find it tough and I would not be a single bit shocked if he only stayed 3 years and won nothing.

Maybe so. I don't particularly hope Guardiola fails spectacularly, to be honest. I'm quite interested to see what he does with City. My gut reaction was just one of disappointment. If things are going well then I think he'll be as committed and obsessive as always but I genuinely think there's the possibility that if things don't go well he'll lose interest in his project because he has no interest in the team. Perhaps when he brings in a few of his own players he'll feel a bit more attached to his team.

I really can't see that happening, not with City determined to give him all the money and freedom to shape the club to his liking. If he shouldn't like the team they have, well, then he'll hire and fire players until he likes it. He lives for football and coaching, he absolutely won't just turn his back in disappointment, not as long as he has the means at his disposal to make the necessary changes.

I am probably in the minority but I am so glad we hired Mourinho over Pep.

Ignore personalities for a moment; yes our new manager can be extremely arrogant and unlikeable to most but so could Fergie. I don't want a nice guy in charge, I want a winner.

Regarding the style of football, I am so glad we will more than likely be playing counter attacking football not the damn boring posession game which I am convinced only works when you have truly special players who can move and pass under huge pressure in tight spaces.

I read an article with Lampard once and he said that Mourinho's systems and tactics are extremely easy to understand as a player but complicated at the same time. Basically he ensures that the players know their exact roles.

I am not saying that Pep is a bad manager, far from it. But I just couldn't bear posession football again. As Germany and Spain have recently found out, sometimes you only need the ball for 35% of the match and you can still win by two clear goals.

Pep will need a huge revamp to implicate his methods in my opinion. There are far too many journeymen at the club now.
:confused:

You're talking about Pep Guardiola here.. You do know he's won trophies right?

I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but it sounded like a typical Guardiola press conference to me, albeit in English. The whole style, tone of voice, mildly equivocal, saying nothing very much. He used to sound like that at Barcelona, when he was doing routine press conferences.

It's his standard press persona, only broken in times of stress and even then usually with a kind of deliberate edge that makes it sound like he doesn't want to give away too many free sound bites.

He looks a different figure when you see him supervising training sessions or nagging from the touch line. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts as the season goes on, Mourinho's presence in town will probably act as a good diversion/shield for the next few months.

I heard a lot of English sounding words with little or no meaning behind them, so tend to agree with your post - he did well at spending 30 mins saying practically nothing.

I heard a lot of English sounding words with little or no meaning behind them, so tend to agree with your post - he did well at spending 30 mins saying practically nothing.
His dislike for press conferences should be common knowledge by now. ;)

There are some seriously stupid posts on here comparing Guardiola to a potato or run-of-the-mill managers.

Why are they stupid posts??? Sure he may not be a run-of-the-mill manager but like he said himself it was easy with Barca having the best player in the world and he was competing in a 2, poss 3 team league. Bayern was ready made for him even though he bombed in the CL. He acknowledged that he may not get the 6 game winning streaks in the PL and this is completely new to him. We had big aspirations for van Gaal and he royally fecked up! You've got no basis to assume that the same could not happen to Guardiola. At least he's been modest enough not to fall for his own hype and admit that this is a new challenge and he is venturing into unknown territory. He's made no bold claims other than to try and build a team so fair play to him.

All the City fans think that the league is a given now and they will dominate for the next 3 years. Fact is we now have the best manager in the world at present, period. Guardiola's status will be defined and cemented during/after his time with City one way or the other. He may just fail to deliver...then again he may well be the next best thing since sliced bread!

So it's a bit harsh slating people that have an opinion either way!

?? :eek: You do realise that City's success is inextricably linked to Guardiola's??

What an odd statement...so you're hoping City does well which by default would be at the expense of United?

The idea is that he does fail as spectacularly as possible! Have you not read Bluemoon recently?? They're really wishing us all the best over there!

Well, excuse me but it was not the same, Ronaldinho was the problem that year he stopped playing and started going clubbing and destroying the atmosphere in the team..Moreover, when one team win everything it is very difficult to motivate them to win everything again the next year, that is why no team have won the Champions League two years in a row, even not Barca...What is more, you can absolutely say the same about Rijkaard when he took the job because Real were dominating like hell and then after Martino, Luis Enrique took the job and won the treble. In 2012-2013 Barcelona became champions and were unlucky to be eliminated by Chelsea in the semi finals of the Champions League even without a head coach. I repeat without a head coach. There are only two-three differences between Guardiola's and Rijkaard teams- Dani Alves, Yaya Toure and Henry and then Pedro and Villa, the core of that team was absolutely the same. This Barca team are playing together and are taught how to play together since a very early age. That is how their academy works. His tactical decisions most of the time, especially when he decided to change that 4-3-3 the Barcelona team always used and have been using all the time ( even in their academy) he started his downfall. The tactical decisions were totally strange to say the least. That continued with his Bayern team that was thrashing everything on their way and then were totally outplayed and outsmarted in most of the important games they had to play in his reign. That is just my opinion on the matter.

Not quite.

The core of Guardiola's team was the midfield three of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. Probably the best midfield three there has been. Rijkaard didn't have that. Busquets was promoted by Guardiola, and Iniesta mostly played wide on a front three under Rijkaard. Xavi mostly played alongside Deco and Toure in a midfield three. There was no Xavi and Iniesta, certaintly not in the way we came to see them in tandem, until Guardiola put them together and played them ahead of a defensive midfielder. Also, Yaya and Henry were already there when Pep took over. He brought in Keita, who was a fairly big part of Pep's team in the first two years. Pep also brought Pique home, who was a fairly unknown entity at the time having only made a handful of appearances for us, and became a mainstay in the centre of defence (and still is!), whilst shipping out Deco, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, Edmilson, and Thuram left due to retirement.

Quite huge changes there. The core of the team really was very different almost immediately under Pep. The team that we beat 1-0 on aggregate in the CL semis in 2008 was very different to the team that walked through us in the CL final in 2009.

I think Pep did a so-so job at Bayern, where he should have done a lot better, but IMO the job he did at Barca has become quite underrated, as if he just inherited a really great team and had them winning with no input, when really he dismantled Rijkaard's team, got rid of the big names, met with some criticism at the time, and replaced them with, at that time, fairly unknown entities.

:confused:

You're talking about Pep Guardiola here.. You do know he's won trophies right?
I wasn't talking about Pep there. I was just saying that I couldn't give two shites about whether a manager is nice or not. Moyes was nice - but an awful manager.

I've never been Guardiola's biggest fan. So far he has only ever succeeded when he has easily had the best squad. There's nothing to say he wouldn't have succeeded anyway, but he's still unproven to me. I don't think he will be as successful at City as he was at other clubs.
Plus I hate cheats.

Not quite.

The core of Guardiola's team was the midfield three of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. Probably the best midfield three there has been. Rijkaard didn't have that. Busquets was promoted by Guardiola, and Iniesta mostly played wide on a front three under Rijkaard. Xavi mostly played alongside Deco and Toure in a midfield three. There was no Xavi and Iniesta, certaintly not in the way we came to see them in tandem, until Guardiola put them together and played them ahead of a defensive midfielder. Also, Yaya and Henry were already there when Pep took over. He brought in Keita, who was a fairly big part of Pep's team in the first two years. Pep also brought Pique home, who was a fairly unknown entity at the time having only made a handful of appearances for us, and became a mainstay in the centre of defence (and still is!), whilst shipping out Deco, Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, Edmilson, and Thuram left due to retirement.

Quite huge changes there. The core of the team really was very different almost immediately under Pep. The team that we beat 1-0 on aggregate in the CL semis in 2008 was very different to the team that walked through us in the CL final in 2009.

I think Pep did a so-so job at Bayern, where he should have done a lot better, but IMO the job he did at Barca has become quite underrated, as if he just inherited a really great team and had them winning with no input, when really he dismantled Rijkaard's team, got rid of the big names, met with some criticism at the time, and replaced them with, at that time, fairly unknown entities.

Excuse me mate, but I totally, totally disagree with you...Where are the huge changes? Pique, Busquets and Danny Alves? Iniesta was a starter under Rijkaard but he used Toure and Marquez instead of Busquets. As far as Iniesta on the wing is concerned he won the world cup and European championship playing there and he has very often played on the wing under Guardiola.

So you are trying to tell me tha Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Henry is not a core and adding Pique, Busquets and Alves changed the team completely??? Come on, mate...Really?

Not quite.

This

It's just lazy , uninformed stereotypes tp dismiss the job Pep did at Barca.

I reckon there is a tint of bitterness there too as we were the biggest victims to that Barca side.

If he fails to win either the league or CL during his 3 years, his legacy in football will be forever tarnished with a big question mark over players vs playing philosophy.
Yeah, just like Sacchi's legacy was forever tarnished after his disastrous post-milan stints, right?

Really? Aguero, Nolito, Illeanacho, Bony isn't enough? I don't think they need more strikers. Weird considering people think Ibra, Rooney, Rashford is enough for us.

Aguero is injury prone. Can't afford to go into a season aiming to compete on all fronts with potentially Bony and Iheanacho as the only real strikers. Bony has been awful for City, and I doubt Guardiola has any substantial plans for him. If Aguero is fit, we're fine, but it's the same regarding Kompany, and it's at the stage where we have to plan as if they will not always be available.

Yeah, just like Sacchi's legacy was forever tarnished after his disastrous post-milan stints, right?

Some would have it so, yes. Difference here is that Sacchi also led Italy to a WC final.

No one is going to say that Guardiola isn't a great coach, who will be in contention as a top 5-10 managers of all time once he's done, but an unsuccessful spell in England will do him no favors in moving up that ladder.

Don't rate him much, while playing possession football with best squad in the country is almost a guaranteed success, this will be his biggest test in physically much more demanding league, EPL is different animal and I think he will struggle in his first season, he should be able to make top4 comfortably though..

Excuse me mate, but I totally, totally disagree with you...Where are the huge changes? Pique, Busquets and Danny Alves? Iniesta was a starter under Rijkaard but he used Toure and Marquez instead of Busquets. As far as Iniesta on the wing is concerned he won the world cup and European championship playing there and he has very often played on the wing under Guardiola.

So you are trying to tell me tha Valdes, Puyol, Abidal, Toure, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Henry is not a core and adding Pique, Busquets and Alves changed the team completely??? Come on, mate...Really?

Pique and Alves coming in is half a new back four. Then a completely different midfield three. Iniesta was a starter under Rijkaard as a forward in a totally different role. Guardiola changed that, paired him with Xavi and placed them ahead of Busquets/Keita. I'm not saying he was poor on the wing, but he became even better centrally and paired with Xavi. That was a huge change because they went on to be unstoppable in tandem for club and country.

You really think there was hardly any difference between the side we beat in the 08 semis and the side who taught us a lesson in the 09 final? Getting rid of big name players like Deco and Ronaldinho and bringing in unknown entities isn't considered big changes?

I have alwyas thought he is extremely overvalued because the Barcelona side he managed could be managed by myself with similar success. They are just the generation of our lifetime and play together since early age, at least most of them. Look at Frank Rijkard, his Barcelona team were outrageous but he has failed everywhere ever since...Luis Enrique was just mediocre in Roma and in Spain but now looks like the greatest manager in the world.

He is a real perfectionist,ok, I am afraid of that but some of the decisions he took as a Barcelona and Bayern coach were a complete joke, The game he lost against Barca with Bayern, when he played with three defenders marking Suarez, Messi and Neymar was just pathetic, every other coach would be sacked for that game only. They year before he was completely outplayed by Ancelotti's counter attacking Real, they just destoyed them, and he was again outplayed by Simeone (if it was not for pure luck in the second game against Juve they would not be there at all, nevermind they thrashed them in the first game...). In his last year as a Barca coach, when he played Fabregas as a false 9 and Messi behind him was one of the most astonishing use of personnel I have ever seen and I am sure even Van Gaal would look at that with bewilderment. Basically with Bayern he had 5-6 imortant games in his stint and lost most of them apart from Juve and was tactically outplayed in every single one of them. I am not overestimating my abilities but I think that I would be able to make that Bayern team German champions in the last 3 years.

I really hope, I am right on him but I really do not like him and have never liked his tactics. He has made some huge tactical blunders and I hope he will continue to do so.
:lol: Please go for a check up, or something.

Pique and Alves coming in is half a new back four. Then a completely different midfield three. Iniesta was a starter under Rijkaard as a forward in a totally different role. Guardiola changed that, paired him with Xavi and placed them ahead of Busquets/Keita. I'm not saying he was poor on the wing, but he became even better centrally and paired with Xavi. That was a huge change because they went on to be unstoppable in tandem for club and country.

You really think there was hardly any difference between the side we beat in the 08 semis and the side who taught us a lesson in the 09 final? Getting rid of big name players like Deco and Ronaldinho and bringing in unknown entities isn't considered big changes?

Of course those teams were not completely the same but the core was completely the same. 8 of the players were the same. Their best players were the same. There is no point discussing this any further. If you do not think that the players I mentioned are the backbone of that Barca team then that is your opinion...
By the way about the game in Rome, it was completely even in my opinion. They taught us a lesson in 2011 when they easily brushed us aside not in 2009...

:lol: Please go for a check up, or something.

Well they won La Liga and were totally unlucky to be eliminated by Chelsea in the semifinal of the Champions League without a coach, didn't they? Only time will show whether I am right or not and whether he is a tactical genius but he has failed tactically most of the time in my opinion.

By the way, are you underestimating my managerial abilities? :D :D :D :D :P :P :P

He is right to be wary of the English press. I think they would love for him to be 'found out' and they don't particularly take well to outsiders with philosophies that are completely contrast to theirs. He will be best served by not being an arrogant knobhead like Van Gaal was towards them,although they will obviously try and provoke a reaction out of him.
Remember how the press destroyed Villas Boas

Didn't watch it, still think he's a knob. I've made no secret of not liking him or his style of football. Can't see him trying to emulate what he did at Barca and Bayern in the PL and if he is not smart enough to realize it won't work here then I will enjoy a few wines and laugh when his team face plants.

edit:

Well well... I hope he does try it. This should be very very interesting, I'm predicting that, much like Van Gaal, it won't work.
Why don't you like him? Because he's managing City?

Of course those teams were not completely the same but the core was completely the same. 8 of the players were the same. Their best players were the same. There is no point discussing this any further. If you do not think that the players I mentioned are the backbone of that Barca team then that is your opinion...
By the way about the game in Rome, it was completely even in my opinion. They taught us a lesson in 2011 when they easily brushed us aside not in 2009...

2009 completely even? :lol:

You were only in that game for 10 minutes.

I don't know why people think Pep and Jose hate each other. They are friends lol
They used to be, but things have definitely gotten frosty since the Inter-Barcelona semi final and then obviously the Real-Barca rivalry. Pretty much any book you read on Pep will give his opinion that he thinks the things Mourinho has said and done have buried their previous relationship.

I think he'll guide City to a higher league finish than Mou will United.

I've never been Guardiola's biggest fan. So far he has only ever succeeded when he has easily had the best squad. There's nothing to say he wouldn't have succeeded anyway, but he's still unproven to me. I don't think he will be as successful at City as he was at other clubs.
Plus I hate cheats.
Cheats?

I think he'll guide City to a higher league finish than Mou will United.
Same. I think so as well. People are really underestimating him because of the teams he has managed in this past.

Well they won La Liga and were totally unlucky to be eliminated by Chelsea in the semifinal of the Champions League without a coach, didn't they? Only time will show whether I am right or not and whether he is a tactical genius but he has failed tactically most of the time in my opinion.

By the way, are you underestimating my managerial abilities? :D :D :D :D :P :P :P
Time has already shown you're wrong given he's one of football's most successful managers and you're Slavkov person from redcafe.