Guardiola's Press Conference - So what do you think?

carlosp

http://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11679/10495661/pep-guardiola-conference-live

Just going through it now myself but he says he never got an offer for Manchester United. I know it would have still been too early in the season for talks but I would have thought the club would have at least shown interest.

Full presser

Cut version(shorter)

* He is releshing the pressure as City boss and the pressure of the game.
* He is at City to prove that he can do possession and passing football.
* Youngsters - loves to work with youngsters. Seems going to use youth in team.
* Chelsea and City have best academy. Doesn't mention United.
* Likes working with Yaya but expects the experienced players to setup
* Scared of press, aware of press turning and so keeps distance.
* No objective from the Sheik so no pressure.
* Expects players to play possession football and to be quick at retrieving the ball when they lose it.
* Wants Kompany to be fit.
* Had to adapt in Bayern to not rely on converting the team to playing Tiki-taka.
* Knows English football will be different but will have to try convert players or get new players to adapt to his style of play although he will compromise where he can.
* Knows the league will be tough especially around Boxing Day. Looking forward to the experience.
* Will try to improve Sterling, Hart and the other English players. Wants a core team with English players but says English players are expensive.
* Liked Mourinho's press conference but expects the competition(English season) to be tough. Having Jose and other top managers in the English league will help or helps to improve him.

Seems humble I like him but I found a few things funny. He said he is scared of the press and so keeps his distance. While this might give him a bit of respite at some point if things aren't going well the press will turn and as LVG learnt, the English press are not a nice bunch. He would of had a bit as he was at Bayern when they turned towards the end of the season however the English press are a completely different beast.

I also noticed when he was talking about the youth that he said Chelsea and City have the best youth facilities and team. He failed to mention United. I can guess management told him not to mention United at all. That said City as far as I know do have good facilities and there younger teams did really well this past season. That said our U21's did win the U21 PL Trophy and our facilities is pretty good.

He will definitely find the league hard and might be shocked the first two or three games with some shock games through out however I expect he will do ok the first season. Second season should be better for him however I expect Mourinho to be on top both seasons. It's definitely going to be an interesting season ahead. :D

Last edited:
His first real manager challenge. So far he has just played FM saves with unlimited budgets and rep fixed via the FM editor.

Who cares? He looks like a bald bat.

I saw the quotes on Twitter and found the whole thing very very odd.

I don't know maybe because it feels like there is supposed to be this fierce rivalry but it had a distinct tone of "unpreparedness" not sure if it came across in person, could just be because of the quotes. But a couple of things stood out to me.

1. He mentioned how good he had it at Barca and Bayern and mentioned it may be more difficult here, well to me thats obvious but to a City fan I would imagine its not the kind of rallying cry you would expect from your major new manager, most if not all managers in the Premier League believe they have the best project going and rally their players and fans around it, to me this came across a little flat.

2. He mentioned this idea of bringing attractive football to England, to me is a little bit disrespectful, you'd have to be pretty blinkered to think Arsenal, Spurs, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Chelsea of 2014/15 Liverpool didn't play an attractive brand of football and whats more is its exciting to watch. To me I think hes a little muddled really, has he watched much of the English game? I'm sure he has obviously but it seemed very very blase about the ability of the other clubs in the league.

He didn't really touch in-detail about his style, the challenges he will face in the league, the physicality of it and how he will have to adapt his style to match the high energy pressing and ability of even the minnows of the league.

I mean sure, he looked sharp in his suit, the screen behind him etc. He mentioned the academy which I am sure City fans liked, not sure about his comments on the academy teams of Chelsea and City. Sure they are good academies but the best in the country? surely that is measured by how many of those players transition into the first team.

I found it boring, the kind of press conference you would expect from literally any manager coming to England for the first time, not the musings of one of the games greatest minds and the kind of mentality a club looking to win a trophy and do well in the Champions League.

Maybe it was in-experience of the league and our press but when I compare to say Jose's one, Jose kind of felt like he was assuring fans things will be better this season and he has a plan in place with specific ideas and plans as well as speaking with confidence and the experience of knowing what it takes to win this league.

Interesting.

Reactions: Invictus
I am probably in the minority but I am so glad we hired Mourinho over Pep.

Ignore personalities for a moment; yes our new manager can be extremely arrogant and unlikeable to most but so could Fergie. I don't want a nice guy in charge, I want a winner.

Regarding the style of football, I am so glad we will more than likely be playing counter attacking football not the damn boring posession game which I am convinced only works when you have truly special players who can move and pass under huge pressure in tight spaces.

I read an article with Lampard once and he said that Mourinho's systems and tactics are extremely easy to understand as a player but complicated at the same time. Basically he ensures that the players know their exact roles.

I am not saying that Pep is a bad manager, far from it. But I just couldn't bear posession football again. As Germany and Spain have recently found out, sometimes you only need the ball for 35% of the match and you can still win by two clear goals.

Pep will need a huge revamp to implicate his methods in my opinion. There are far too many journeymen at the club now.

It really will be interesting to see how he does. This is by far the toughest challenge he's had as a manager.

Even though a lot of it was already there for him you have to respect what he did with Barcelona, his time at Bayern less so in my opinion. It would have been very difficult to fail in Germany with Bayern considering how utterly dominant they are.

It's a much more competitive league and City are a club who need a fair bit of work. Obviously I hope he completely flops, like I said it'll be interesting.

Conservative in his comments and no surprise. He's not got the ideal squad for his style from the off and he just watched Van Gaal's brand fail here. He's also up against a lot of top managers with strong squads.

Big test for everyone.

I don't know maybe because it feels like there is supposed to be this fierce rivalry but it had a distinct tone of "unpreparedness" not sure if it came across in person, could just be because of the quotes. But a couple of things stood out to me.

1. He mentioned how good he had it at Barca and Bayern and mentioned it may be more difficult here, well to me thats obvious but to a City fan I would imagine its not the kind of rallying cry you would expect from your major new manager, most if not all managers in the Premier League believe they have the best project going and rally their players and fans around it, to me this came across a little flat.

2. He mentioned this idea of bringing attractive football to England, to me is a little bit disrespectful, you'd have to be pretty blinkered to think Arsenal, Spurs, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Chelsea of 2014/15 Liverpool didn't play an attractive brand of football and whats more is its exciting to watch. To me I think hes a little muddled really, has he watched much of the English game? I'm sure he has obviously but it seemed very very blase about the ability of the other clubs in the league.

He didn't really touch in-detail about his style, the challenges he will face in the league, the physicality of it and how he will have to adapt his style to match the high energy pressing and ability of even the minnows of the league.

I mean sure, he looked sharp in his suit, the screen behind him etc. He mentioned the academy which I am sure City fans liked, not sure about his comments on the academy teams of Chelsea and City. Sure they are good academies but the best in the country? surely that is measured by how many of those players transition into the first team.

I found it boring, the kind of press conference you would expect from literally any manager coming to England for the first time, not the musings of one of the games greatest minds and the kind of mentality a club looking to win a trophy and do well in the Champions League.

Maybe it was in-experience of the league and our press but when I compare to say Jose's one, Jose kind of felt like he was assuring fans things will be better this season and he has a plan in place with specific ideas and plans as well as speaking with confidence and the experience of knowing what it takes to win this league.

Interesting.
Thanks, that's a great summary of things.

I mean it's a bit of a pre-existing summary where I think the poster is reading into what he wants to, but a summary nonetheless.

They really need an injection of world class quality this window to deal with the likely increased competition in the upcoming season, pep or no pep. I haven't really followed their transfer window but how are they doing so far? I am under the impression that their prime targets, Pogba and Aubameyang aren't likely to come. Have they made or linked to any notable signings atm?

I am probably in the minority but I am so glad we hired Mourinho over Pep.

Ignore personalities for a moment; yes our new manager can be extremely arrogant and unlikeable to most but so could Fergie. I don't want a nice guy in charge, I want a winner.

Regarding the style of football, I am so glad we will more than likely be playing counter attacking football not the damn boring posession game which I am convinced only works when you have truly special players who can move and pass under huge pressure in tight spaces.

I read an article with Lampard once and he said that Mourinho's systems and tactics are extremely easy to understand as a player but complicated at the same time. Basically he ensures that the players know their exact roles.

I am not saying that Pep is a bad manager, far from it. But I just couldn't bear posession football again. As Germany and Spain have recently found out, sometimes you only need the ball for 35% of the match and you can still win by two clear goals.

Pep will need a huge revamp to implicate his methods in my opinion. There are far too many journeymen at the club now

It's funny you say that as I have recently read interviews with Gerard Pique and Iniesta in which they have said similar. The tiki-taka style has now been found out by the majority, and that they feel Spain have to try and re-invent themselves with a different style going forward. I wonder if that will apply to Pep's tactics too.

I don't think he'll flop LVG style, but I also don't think he'll be a roaring success. Possibly one league title, an FA cup and a CL semi final. He'll then be off.

They really need an injection of world class quality this window to deal with the likely increased competition in the upcoming season, pep or no pep. I haven't really followed their transfer window but how are they doing so far? I am under the impression that their prime targets, Pogba and Aubameyang aren't likely to come. Have they made or linked to any notable signings atm?

They seem to be taking a holistic approach to the window, sprinkling quality across the field without going apeshit on one player. I am sure they have a couple of tricks up their sleeve but the money being pumped into each team is driving up the price of players they need in key positions.

When you look at our squad you are tempted to say we need a huge over-haul but the reality is we don't, we need a couple of very good quality players in key positions we have addressed the Right, the left has been stacked for a couple of seasons. We have also been lucky/good as we have young Rashford coming through so we only really needed a support/turtoridge role kind of player and it fell perfectly for Ibra. Bailly is a great addition but in his position we are stacked with players that could do a job but ultimately arent winning team good. Ideally we need to spend big in CM (all things crossed for the POg) and CB and we should be ready.

When you look at how City and Pep play, they probably don't actually know who or what they need. Gundogan? great technical player, Physical enough? who knows. Nolito? good finisher and has worked under Pep but spritely and quick enough? probably not. Then you look at that back line its pretty old and the competition is hotting up, the midfield? are they technical enough and smart enough to play his brand, who knows. Wingers- Will Sterling become the player he should be? will he be technical enough? Im not so sure.

Id say out of their starting 11 3 of last seasons players match up. Silva, Aguero and De-Bruyne, there are absolutely question marks on the rest and to get to the level they want they will need to spend an unholy amount of money. Were talking 250m+.

A challenge for sure.

Reactions: Varun

Interesting.

Methinks you're reading too much into press conferences. Not your fault, seems this is the in thing to do nowadays. When did they become so fascinating?

Methinks you're reading too much into press conferences. Not your fault, seems this is the in thing to do nowadays. When did they become so fascinating?
Since Moyes. Before that, noone cared about press conferences. If something genuinely relevant happened then it would be discussed. These days they get over analysed to an insane degree with every single thing being dissected.

Well perhaps you are right but this is the exact sort of thing that will be scrutinised over and over in the press and by us the fans. We have the worlds two best coaches in the same city between two clubs with a huge rivalry.

Trust me its going to get a lot deeper than press conferences, just wait until the body language experts come out of their holes.

If you see it as rounds, I would say that in terms of an introduction and how excited we should be Jose probably has his nose in-front, hes saying all the right things, hes posting the right things and he is absolutely exuding confidence. Pep is basically saying "I don't know-lets see".

Weird but interesting.

And there goes my 3 for today.

Guardiola just seemed so.... passive. It was like watching Carrick give a post match interview after we lost 1-0 to Bournemouth or something. Gave nothing away, promised nothing, said nothing about expectations/style/ambitions etc.

Didn't see it, had no interest in it, and tried to skip past all the quotes on my timeline. But as normal when you try to avoid something online you cant so ended up seeing half of the quotes. :mad::mad::mad:

I did see he said that only City made an approach. Slightly interesting that a) we didn't (unless we knew there was no point or were stupid enough not to.) and b) that he said only one approach. Could have said he got more 2 approaches and not named the other. City fans putting 2+2 together and assume its us and get to be happy that he chose them instead of us. Just for the hell of it.

Anyway he can get stuffed. Im happier with Jose Mourinho.

Because they will likely be the favourites for the title and that obviously impacts us

Best press conference I ever saw was Fergies after Rooney came out and confirmed he wanted to leave.

Was a lesson in manipulating the media onto his side, acting all hurt and being a bit more open. Turned everyone in the country against Rooney.

Most conferences are pointless.

I think they'd love it more if we did make an approach, and he chose City. Christ, we'd never hear the end of that!

That's what I meant, maybe I should have bolded the target of my sarcasm. But yeah, they'd be insufferable bastards of slightly greater intensity.

Interesting.

He said "I think it'll be more physical. People say it's less attractive, I don't know. I'll talk to Brian Kidd and Mikel Arteta."

It's funny you say that as I have recently read interviews with Gerard Pique and Iniesta in which they have said similar. The tiki-taka style has now been found out by the majority, and that they feel Spain have to try and re-invent themselves with a different style going forward. I wonder if that will apply to Pep's tactics too.
Have you seen Bayern play? It's a completely different system and style than Pep's Barca. He adapts - and he does it even before the world realized that he needs to - that's where he is similar to Fergie, actually

I don't want a nice guy in charge, I want a winner.
Pep is hardly a nice guy. He has a temperament and he does fall out with the players and the stuff (remember Bayern's medical chief for example?). He is also incredibly demanding of his players and is not afraid to ship them out if he doesn't like them, despite the star appeal, although it's harder to do in Bayern as the board is more influential there (Toure, Eto'O, Ibra, Schweiny)

Yeah that was my first thought too.

interesting he admitted being wary/scared of the press backlash. As a city fan id think it would be a downer happily admitting its not his last job (ok we know but usually you are diplomatic about these things), plus he seems to be more seduced by the league in general rather than the club he's at