Guardian & Observer's Top 10 Horror Movies

Has anyone watched The Pact? Kind of a weird one. Starts out as a ghost film, which is mildly scary, but then becomes something else completely in the last half hour (I won't give it away).

I loved the idea for the final bit, but I sort of feel like they could have made a much better film if they'd ditched all the ghost stuff that came before that.

Alien is definitely horror in space. I might've been stretching it with The Terminator although I do think it crosses into the genre. Neither of their sequels are though.

The terminator isn't horror, its more like Predator.

The Exorcist should have been at first position. Full stop.

I think that it is a better horror and possibly (likely) a better movie than Psycho. Anyway, Psycho cannot scare anyone.

Also, while Alien is primary a sci-fi, I think that he deserved to be on the list.

I love Let the Right One in, it's one of my favourite films.. but I don't think it's much of a horror movie. It has a vampire in it, that's about it.

I dunno about the Blair Witch film. As with many Horror/Ghost stories or films, I think one's fear (or lack of it) depends on how much we buy into the atmosphere. For instance, a big fave of mine is the 1989 tv film of The Woman in Black; I found parts of it terrifying...yet some people laugh at those very same scenes.
Aye Steve that was the most notable omission for me.

My hair's still stuck to the ceiling, after watching the bedroom scene, mate. :D

:nervous: I tried to watch it recently but bottled it after about 10 minutes. Scarred for life after watching it as a 7-year-old in '89.

I can't even look at the dvd case on Google Images.
*sobs*

Just to be clear, which The Excorcist is this? I believe 156357* versions have been made!

Also, any "greatest horror movie" list without "Stephen King's IT" on it (aka Pennywise) cannot be taken seriously.

* number may be slightly exaggerated

Just to be clear, which The Excorcist is this? I believe 156357* versions have been made!

Of course, the original one. Haven't watched the other 156356 sequels but they have some of the shittest rating I have ever seen on imdb.

Also, any "greatest horror movie" list without "Stephen King's IT" on it (aka Pennywise) cannot be taken seriously.

* number may be slightly exaggerated

Not being picky but the reason 'It' might not be included in the list is because its technically not a film, its classed a mini series, it was in two parts and never had a cinema release

Still great though.... Beep Beep Richie!!!!!!

What a shite list. Some of these films aren't even scary. I remember watching the Thai version of Shutter and couldn't sleep for days afterwards.

Of course, the original one. Haven't watched the other 156356 sequels but they have some of the shittest rating I have ever seen on imdb.
Yeah I know it was the original. Just thought I'd emphasise how many times that movie has been re-made!

Not being picky but the reason 'It' might not be included in the list is because its technically not a film, its classed a mini series, it was in two parts and never had a cinema release

Still great though.... Beep Beep Richie!!!!!!

Aargh, thanks dude. I was around 7 or 8 when I watched it. Damn. 20-odd years later and I'm still scarred. :lol:

The Exorcist should have been at first position. Full stop.

I think that it is a better horror and possibly (likely) a better movie than Psycho. Anyway, Psycho cannot scare anyone.

Also, while Alien is primary a sci-fi, I think that he deserved to be on the list.

I dont count Psycho has a horror, not in the slightest.

I dont count Psycho has a horror, not in the slightest.

When I watched it I was with a friend and both of us do not get scared from movies. When the first killing took place, we applauded cause we were bored only watching the girl driving her car for around half an hour. Watching one of the most rated 'horor' movies of all time, we were expecting some horror.

It is a good movie , no doubt about it but I agree that it isn't that much horror. Probably it has only that scene in the end of the movie when it can scare you a bit, but that's it. And always found it strange in Hitchkock movies, the conclusion, when someone explains what happened, just in case there are some idiots watching it who couldn't understand what's going on.

When I watched it I was with a friend and both of us do not get scared from movies. When the first killing took place, we applauded cause we were bored only watching the girl driving her car for around half an hour. Watching one of the most rated 'horor' movies of all time, we were expecting some horror.

It is a good movie , no doubt about it but I agree that it isn't that much horror. Probably it has only that scene in the end of the movie when it can scare you a bit, but that's it. And always found it strange in Hitchkock movies, the conclusion, when someone explains what happened, just in case there are some idiots watching it who couldn't understand what's going on.

Dont get me wrong I like the film and have watched it quite a few times, but for me it is not a film I can watch over and over again.
I like the end of Hitchkock films, yes you usually know everything at the end , but there is always something I miss, I think Dial M for Murder is better.

I don't think it's an insult to the movie or Hitchcock to say it's dated. You can't expect modern audiences to be scared by the same stuff that terrified audiences years ago. It's to be admired for what it was at the time it was released.

I'm going to watch the Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone today.

I don't think it's an insult to the movie or Hitchcock to say it's dated. You can't expect modern audiences to be scared by the same stuff that terrified audiences years ago. It's to be admired for what it was at the time it was released.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Psycho. But I don't think that it is scary and I cannot imagine how people could have been scared from it. I don't personally get scared from movies, but there are plenty of other movies that I think can scare people much mroe than Psycho.

It is definitely a better movie than most of the horror movies, but more scary, heck no.

I like The Devil's Backbone a lot, but don't expect many scares even if it is a ghost story.

It's arguably the ancestor of the Lecter films and, as such, not really a Horror film despite certain aspects in common with the genre.

I will give this a watch, I have a Korean horror to watch I saw the Devil, reviews are very good.

It's interesting how much the definition of horror varies from person to person in this thread; for me, the majority of the films listed aren't part of the horror genre at all, so it's weird to see them topping individual lists.

I have a question: Does the age at which you watch a film define how scary and how scarring it is?

As a grown man, no film has scared me, but as a nipper, Nightmare On Elm Street, The Omen and The Exorcist absolutely turned my world upside down.

I've not seen NOES as an adult, but I've seen the other two again, and whilst I can appreciate what is supposed to make them scary, they don't have any impact on me, so I'm not even sure if they'd rank in a top 5 if I hadn't seen them when I was young, innocent and completely impressionable.

People have shown in this very thread, you included with your talk of BWP being #1 of all-time, that their definition of what is and what is not scary is very different. If you'd watched BWP as a kid would you even comprehend all the avenues that make it scary to you as an adult?

When I was about three years old I was scared to death by Bigfoot & The Hendersons.

It was this scene:
[YouTube]usNnFrkLTKw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YouTube]

I fled to my bedroom crying and couldn't sleep for weeks. I remember it well, it's the most terrified I've ever been in my life.

So, #1 Bigfoot & The Hendersons

William Lustigs Maniac is the greatest horror of all time alongside Argento's Suspiria. The Elijah Wood starring remake of Maniac aint bad but not a patch on Joe Spinells greasy character in the original.

Dont get me wrong I like the film and have watched it quite a few times, but for me it is not a film I can watch over and over again.
I like the end of Hitchkock films, yes you usually know everything at the end , but there is always something I miss, I think Dial M for Murder is better.

Easily the best movie directed by Hitchkock IMO (followed by Rope). Anyway, unlike in Psycho, a person there doesn't narrate the event in a pointless manner in the end, here it was part of the story.