Guardian & Observer's Top 10 Horror Movies

The film did not scare me has much as the music did, the music makes the film even better, but it should be on any list of top 10 horrors.
That little boy was terrifying. Anything to do with possession and the devil creeps me out. The Exorcism of Emily Rose would be in my top ten also. And when the demons start revealing their names I'm alwsys thinking that it will be stuck in my head for months.

That little boy was terrifying. Anything to do with possession and the devil creeps me out. The Exorcism of Emily Rose would be in my top ten also. And when the demons start revealing their names I'm alwsys thinking that it will be stuck in my head for months.

I love films about the Devil and possession, there is just so much rubbish out there. I liked Devil.
I agree about Emily Rose and very good film.

A top 10 after 2000 might be interesting. Some pretty average films would probably make that list.

You should see him drive that would really scare the shite of you.

I've been meaning to watch Rosemary's Baby, is it good? I heard El Orfanto is a quality film, too, albeit in Spanish.

Nice to see you up here, btw. ;)

I don't actually know. I'm sure I've seen it but it must've been when I was little.

You plonker.
I am not a plonker!

1. The Blair Witch Project
2. The Innocents
3. The Exorcist
4. Ringu
5. The Shining
6. Halloween
7. Session 9
8. The Haunting
9. Paranormal Activity
10. [Rec]

1. The Blair Witch Project
2. The Innocents
3. The Exorcist
4. Ringu
5. The Shining
6. Halloween
7. Session 9
8. The Haunting
9. Paranormal Activity
10. [Rec]

Good list. Except for number one. The only ones I haven't seen on there are The Innocents and The Haunting. The rest are all great. Especially Rec - easily the best found footage film in my opinion. Rec 2 is good, too, but 3 was a disaster.

People seem split on the Blair Witch Project

It was one of the first movies that felt 'real' with the camcorder effects and I thought it was very very scary

Didn't help that I watched it in a near empty cinema either

People seem split on the Blair Witch Project

It was one of the first movies that felt 'real' with the camcorder effects and I thought it was very very scary

Didn't help that I watched it in a near empty cinema either

It is a great film, but it probably didn't help that I watched Blair Witch after already having seen various other found footage films. I'd probably share a different opinion had I saw it when it first game out.

1. The Shining
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Nosferatu (Murnau, 1922) & (Herzog, 1979)
4. Gozu
5. Eyes Without a Face
6. Repulsion
7. Cure
8. Häxan
9. Kwaidan
10. The Exorcist

My favourite type of movie even though most of them end up being shite. My favs in no particular order

All part 1 originals obviously

The Exorcist
The Omen
Blair Witch
Texas Chainsaw
Poltergeist
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining

Honourable mentions to The Decent, Paranormal Activity, REC

I don’t consider movies like Alien, Jaws or The Thing horror movies.

Best of the best for me:

The last house on the left (the original one, first movie from Wes Craven)
The Exorcist (Religion at it´s finest)
Evil Dead 2(Raimi masterpiece)
Evil Dead (probably made the genre)
Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Kruger is anyone better?)
Helloween (that music score from Carpenter genius)
The Shining (Here´s Johnny)
Cannibal Holocaust (first docu styled horror film)
Let the right one in (a bit like a swedish Volvo slow but steady)
Rear Window (I know it´s a thriller, but groundbreaking all the same)

On the bench..

The Omen (When Damien gave that look)
The night of the living dead
The Conjuring (had to have a new one here)
Friday the 13th (Cry baby with parenting issues)
The Fly
Dead Snow
Cold Prey

I always thought The Descent was one of the scariest horror films I can recall in some time

Are you thinking of the scene where whoever is looking through the night vision cam and as they pan you see that scary looking motherfecker? That was the bit that got me when I watched it.

Sinister I thought was scary as hell, even though you know what's coming you still jump. Great film I thought. Best to watch when home alone, late at night, while it's raining obviously.

Some love the Blair Witch, some hate it. I think it's one of the best examples of what you don't see scares you more. The ending was perfect too.

Hard to describe what I want in a horror movie. It's a very broad genre tbf, I do love comedic horror like The Evil Dead for example. What I really prefer though is atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on gore and cheap shocks, which seems to be the trend now.
Have you seen The Orphanage and The Abandoned (the latter got panned by critics I think but I remember it impressing me quite a bit). For what you're looking for, Spanish genre cinema is your go-to place!

Are you thinking of the scene where whoever is looking through the night vision cam and as they pan you see that scary looking motherfecker? That was the bit that got me when I watched it.

Sinister I thought was scary as hell, even though you know what's coming you still jump. Great film I thought. Best to watch when home alone, late at night, while it's raining obviously.

Nothing in particular, although the first scene you see that goblin - I remember thinking, not sure I will get through this :D

It plays on two key fears, darkness & monsters plus, let's face it spelunking in unexplored caverns has to play on plenty of fears as well

It is a great film, but it probably didn't help that I watched Blair Witch after already having seen various other found footage films. I'd probably share a different opinion had I saw it when it first game out.

It freaked me out

it builds up nicely - the night where they could hear all the crazy noises outside the tent like a baby wailing and stuff was pretty spooky.

I think Paranormal activity have almost followed the same model - incident by incident it gets a bit more scary to the final scenes

I wonder would it have the same impact if it was released these days

That is not even a good film , never mind a decent horror film, I thought it was dreadful.

Each to his own. Best example of a ghost story brought to life for me. Incredibly creepy atmosphere throughout.

Alien and Terminator were both pretty great horror films too.

Do they count as horror though? I'm not sure; if they do though, Alien would be one of my favourites.

Have you seen The Orphanage and The Abandoned (the latter got panned by critics I think but I remember it impressing me quite a bit). For what you're looking for, Spanish genre cinema is your go-to place!

I saw The Orphanage actually, it was really good. Pans Labyrinth was brilliant too but not sure if that qualifies as horror either.

I always thought The Descent was one of the scariest horror films I can recall in some time

The first half of The Decent was brilliant, I love when she catches the first glimpse of the critter in the cave. When all hell breaks loose with the creatures though I just find myself laughing rather than being scared.

Obviously defining horror is hard. If you take the widest possible definition possible, maybe you could include thrillers, sci-fi, apocalyptic movies, and so on. I'd classify sci-fi as a separate genre, but then again, Alien and Terminator are a bit of a hybrid with elements of different genres. It's hard to classify everything though.
I saw The Orphanage actually, it was really good. Pans Labyrinth was brilliant too but not sure if that qualifies as horror either.
Give The Abandoned a try, film by Nacho Cerda, I found it quite disturbing. Pan's Labyrinth is a superb film, but yeah I wouldn't qualify it as horror per se, in France we have the terminology 'cinéma fantastique' which is I guess a sub genre of horror (in the wide definition), which would be more appropriate.

Let The Right One In?

It's a decent movie sure. Certainly not in the top 10 horror movies ever. It's not even scary for a start. Nor particularly influential like some of the others on the list.

They've just put that in there for something contemporary. And foreign.

Good list. Except for number one. The only ones I haven't seen on there are The Innocents and The Haunting.

The Haunting and The Innocents are brilliant, especially if you love ghost stories.

I've long thought of The Blair Witch Project as my favourite horror film. You have to approach it in the right context in order to 'get it', but once you do it's beyond belief how scary it can be. The context I speak of is that of, not just watching a horror befall the characters in the film, but to imagine instead that you are there and that you personally are one of those suffering this excruciating psychological ordeal. I've camped in the woods many times, and I know too well that if that shit that occurs in the Blair Witch should ever happen to me then I would full-ball lose my mind with fear; the Witch is depicted as such a perfectly unexplainable, unstoppable and even unchallengeable supernatural force that no amount of logical thinking or practical adherence would ever begin to work in your favour towards a desirable outcome; basically, once the Blair Witch starts fecking with you, you're already dead with your soul hers to torment forevermore. This is an important aspect of the horror for me, the outright unexplainable supernatural nature of the Witch, because as an atheist and a total sceptic, the unequivocal display of proof that my entire worldview was completely wrong as depicted in the film would itself go a long way towards driving me to a hysterical madness. People are critical of the fact that you don't really see anything, you don't see the Witch etc., but for me that's not relevant since it's the evidence of the Witch and the knowledge that she's out there stalking and twisting reality to her own diabolical end that represents the real fear - not the seeing of it but rather the knowing of it. That's why, for me personally, The Blair Witch Project is the best horror film ever made.

For best viewing one should watch the supporting documentary 'The Curse of The Blair Witch' beforehand.

Re: Cider's post on The Blair Witch Project ~

Yep - our imagination is the true horror; generally speaking, the key to all horror/ghost stories is that the monster is us, or aspects of us.

I've long thought of The Blair Witch Project as my favourite horror film. You have to approach it in the right context in order to 'get it', but once you do it's beyond belief how scary it can be. The context I speak of is that of, not just watching a horror befall the characters in the film, but to imagine instead that you are there and that you personally are one of those suffering this excruciating psychological ordeal. I've camped in the woods many times, and I know too well that if that shit that occurs in the Blair Witch should ever happen to me then I would full-ball lose my mind with fear; the Witch is depicted as such a perfectly unexplainable, unstoppable and even unchallengeable supernatural force that no amount of logical thinking or practical adherence would ever begin to work in your favour towards a desirable outcome; basically, once the Blair Witch starts fecking with you, you're already dead with your soul hers to torment forevermore. This is an important aspect of the horror for me, the outright unexplainable supernatural nature of the Witch, because as an atheist and a total sceptic, the unequivocal display of proof that my entire worldview was completely wrong as depicted in the film would itself go a long way towards driving me to a hysterical madness. People are critical of the fact that you don't really see anything, you don't see the Witch etc., but for me that's not relevant since it's the evidence of the Witch and the knowledge that she's out there stalking and twisting reality to her own diabolical end that represents the real fear - not the seeing of it but rather the knowing of it. That's why, for me personally, The Blair Witch Project is the best horror film ever made.

For best viewing one should watch the supporting documentary 'The Curse of The Blair Witch' beforehand.

I have watched the Blair witch a few times and just dont see it.
I will watch the documentary and then watch the film again.

Its very over 60s middle class pretty much guardian reader list, none from the 80s that I can gather other than the shining which is a Kubrick film so I won't count that. What about the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie, The Evil Dead 1 etc all from the late 70s up the late 80s was when horror was really a force in film. In fact, not a single foreign langauge film that I can discern either.

Edit: Okay let the right one in is swedish.

EDIT 2: And Nosferatu is german, but I don't think that film really holds up for contemporary audiences, I mean the Cabinet of Dr Caligari is so much better.

Cagliari isn't as scary as Nosferatu. In the end, the viewer almost feels sympathy for the sonambulist, who is clearly being abused by Dr. Cagliari. Nosferatu is just an unrepentant bad guy who likes biting on the necks of young, nubile, virgin women*

* who wouldn't?

The setting/art direction/whatever for Caligari is superb & really imaginative.
Nosferatu is all about Schreck. Fantastic portrayal of the undead.

Yeah Cagliari is a visual masterpiece. No bones about it.

The fella who played Nosferatu was an excellent facial actor.

Don't know whether it'd be classed as horror or a psychological thriller, but The hand that rocks the cradle, always freaks me out. Has lots of disturbing scenes.

The Amityville Horror's scary, I found, regardless of whether the story's a load of nonsense or not.

A travesty that Ringu's not on the list. It scared me to death when I was a kid.

Sixth Sense and The Blair Witch Project should be in there as well.

Let the Right One In had a very beautiful and depressing cinematography, it wasn't a good scare though.

The Sixth Sense is more of a a thriller not a horror, isn't it?

Ringu can be scary even if it didn't spook me.

Insidious was a good one that I watched recently, freaked me right out.

Being: Liverpool's another one.