Group C | Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia & England

Awful performance. We’ll still top the group but it’s been a proper chore watching us. Denmark will feel pretty good about their situation now. Assuming we beat Slovenia, they likely just need a draw vs Serbia.

Awful performance. We’ll still top the group but it’s been a proper chore watching us. Denmark will feel pretty good about their situation now. Assuming we beat Slovenia, they likely just need a draw vs Serbia.
Assuming England will beat Slovenia is a big leap from what we’ve seen so far in the group. Slovenia looked more like beating Denmark than England did by the end of their respective games. They also should have achieved a 1-0 vs Serbia.

I can already see the complacency leading up to that game is going to be terrible amongst the fans and press.

Overreaction much? Remember its the result that really matters in the end. They drew against Scotland in the last Euros and also against USA in the WC who are worser sides than Denmark. Top of the group still and pretty much through.

Worst group in the tournament. Guff games all round.
The least entertaining for neutrals that's for sure. That said, at the end of the day all that matters is getting past the group stages and into the knockouts.

Overreaction much? Remember its the result that really matters in the end. They drew against Scotland in the last Euros and also against USA in the WC who are worser sides than Denmark. Top of the group still and pretty much through.

I don't think it's an overreaction to suggest we're currently in a mess. The team is unbalanced and if we play anyone of any note we will be getting sent home.

The worry is that Southgate has picked the same XI on consecutive games and made the same 2 first subs with Gallagher and Bowen in consecutive games. The concern right now is whether Southgate acknowledges he's got it horribly wrong and he is willing to change and potentially make huge calls in dropping players out of the side.

We know Gareth isn't the greatest manager tactically, but he used to play pragmatic teams where everyone understood their roles. he's previously been stern with his team selections and was willing to leave big players out. He needs to go back to this and play players in their natural positions. This may mean a couple of big names are left out, but in the name of balance it needs to happen.

It’s not a problem drawing with Denmark, they’re a good team. But it’s a big problem to not really creating anything against them (they basically gifted England the goal) because you withdraw after scoring, have no clear pattern of play and no intensity whatsoever.

Denmark have been quite unlucky with the goals they've conceded. They've been caught out with unlucky deflections whilst not getting the same rub of green at the other end.

Replacing TAA with Conor Gallagher is so unimpressive. I really don't like this England team at all.

Judging purely by media interviews with Slovenian players - they all seem way overconfident that at least point is already guaranteed. This means they will be complacent which usually leads to errors in our system based game plan. Also we do not have the most resilient bunch and getting an early goal or two would make this game England vs Oblak.

Judging purely by media interviews with Slovenian players - they all seem way overconfident that at least point is already guaranteed. This means they will be complacent which usually leads to errors in our system based game plan. Also we do not have the most resilient bunch and getting an early goal or two would make this game England vs Oblak.
Why are they confident? I have watched at least 1 Slovenia game so far and I think you guys play pretty deep? I think Southgate will get some joy against you lot since England's problems so far have largely been the build up in their own half. You lot defend pretty well in your half though especially with Oblak.

I may have mixed you lot up with some other team though.

Win v Slovenia by 3+: Slovakia/Romania in the Round of 16. Italy/Switzerland in QF.

Win v Slovenia by 1/2: Netherlands in the Round of 16. Italy/Switzerland in QF.

Draw v Slovenia: Most likely Germany in the Round of 16. Spain in QF.

Lose v Slovenia: Most likely Belgium/Ukraine in the Round of 16. Austria/Turkey in QF.

Oddly, with the way the draw works it is probably better to lose than draw.

If the England players don't like the criticism, they know what they need to do then don't they.

These are the types of games where a bonus point for scoring 3 goals or more (or something to this extent) needs to be awarded at these tournaments.

Horror group. Some of the worst football I've watched, especially the ones with Serbia(who deservedly finished bottom)

How are Denmark and Slovenia separated? Drew with each other, same goals scored, same goals conceded.

How are Denmark and Slovenia separated? Drew with each other, same goals scored, same goals conceded.
Level on points, goals scored, goals against, yellow cards. Decided by qualifying results - which they were also level on points - only decided on H2H.

Level on points, goals scored, goals against, yellow cards. Decided by qualifying results - which they were also level on points - only decided on H2H.

That’s pretty wild.

We'll get spanked by Germany now, and that'll be that. Had chances to win both the Slovenia and England games, but couldn't.

Whoever I was telling before the tournament that I thought Serbia were the worst team in the group, hi :cool:

Delighted for Slovenia. Proper agricultural football at times but mad that 1% of their population is in that stadium tonight.

Commentators mentioned that one of the Slovenia coaches has a yellow card as well. I think that counts.

Apparently it goes back to Denmark finishing higher in their qualifying group, where they also finished level on points :lol: Denmark finished higher due to head to head.

Apparently it goes back to Denmark finishing higher in their qualifying group, where they also finished level on points :lol: Denmark finished higher due to head to head.
That’s mad. Especially considering they now have to play Germany as a result of finishing in second.

This is so dumb. I say revert to 16 teams in the Euro's ASAP.

Also, the prize of beating Slovenia a couple of years ago is getting Germany instead of whoever wins Group E (Belgium, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine).

Slovenia qualified from group stages for the first time in history. A nation of 2 million people. Buzzing. Should have won versus Serbia and rack more points too. Outside of a few moments England didn't trouble us. Bring on round of 16. :devil: