Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poster said he can't play in North America or Europe for some reason so I highlighted a similar most high profile case from past. And then kobe Bryant worked with many such charities too.

And u can label me whatever but I am not a fan of extra judicial punishments and mainstream media led social media courts in criminal cases.

If he's punished legally then fine no issues. But even then after serving the sentence he/she should get a chance at rehabilitation. And if I am not wrong there have been cases of footballers playing after their sentence even in the uk In lower leagues.

You have only quoted my bit about Bryant so stick to that in reply in that case.

And as such, my point stands. It wasn't merely a "furore" that's dismissive of the facts of the case and what Bryant himself said about it too.

Honestly, and this isn't just directed at you, I can't believe the amount of people using language that dismisses the accusations in these cases. Actually, I can. That's a big part of the reason DV and rape are still woefully under reported. And no, before the complex comes out, I'm not suggesting you condone that. But the language and attitude of people around these things matters.

In this market, of course he would be worth that. Have you seen the prices of some are going for this year?
I highly doubt it. That would put him third on the all time list behind Neymar and Mbappe.
Maybe one day if he had exploded in terms of output, like Ronaldo did in 08, but not where he was in 2019.

Is there any club interested in his service and make any attempt to sign him at all?

Is there any club interested in his service and make any attempt to sign him at all?

So far as we know there is not. In the immediate aftermath of the statement there was talk of the club receiving multiple enquiries but none of the more reliable sources have confirmed any team is interested, there has just been a number of clubs disavowing interest. To be more calculating it is entirely possible that teams are prepared to wait United out reasoning that we may be forced to pay up his contract and release him to put this in the rearview mirror. Happens a lot in American sports where a player is known to be on the trading block but nobody offers anything because they know that the player will be released at a certain point and can be picked up for nothing.

So far as we know there is not. In the immediate aftermath of the statement there was talk of the club receiving multiple enquiries but none of the more reliable sources have confirmed any team is interested, there has just been a number of clubs disavowing interest. To be more calculating it is entirely possible that teams are prepared to wait United out reasoning that we may be forced to pay up his contract and release him to put this in the rearview mirror. Happens a lot in American sports where a player is known to be on the trading block but nobody offers anything because they know that the player will be released at a certain point and can be picked up for nothing.
I would also say that any potential club would not want him right now because there is far to much scrutiny. They will wait for it all to die down and look at the lie of the ground then. If the utd management had made the decision before the window opened then maybe but being so late in the window will probably be January at the earliest. Greenwood might also need to walk away from his contract to make it happen.

Joking aside he probably should be looking to go somewhere far away from the spotlight, I highly doubt his past would be an issue at Spartak Moscow.

Just what he needs to restart his career, playing for a club from a terrorist state :lol:

Obviously he'll eventually turn up at someone like Oldham or Fleetwood remembering some of their previous players and managers.

What happens if the only level of club that comes in for him can't pay anything close to the sort of wages he's on?

Roma in for Lukaku now, so one more name to cross off the list...

Are there any suitors left? Looks like no.

Damn! He really should’ve kept his mouth shut. :lol:

Eh, he reportedly called Ronaldo a “dead baller” which is how kids describe finished players - not ideal, but Greenwood seemingly had the type of arrogance that’s often lauded in players that make it to the top - Ronaldo at his age was similarly falling out with more senior/established players. It’s how the game goes. kids don’t give a feck about what you did back in the day - you’re only good as what you’re producing now.

but I wouldn’t put much stock in these types of reports anyway

Eh, he reportedly called Ronaldo a “dead baller” which is how kids describe finished players - not ideal, but Greenwood seemingly had the type of arrogance that’s often lauded in players that make it to the top - Ronaldo at his age was similarly falling out with more senior/established players. It’s how the game goes. kids don’t give a feck about what you did back in the day - you’re only good as what you’re producing now.

I just find it pretty ironic he was saying Ronaldo’s career was dead considering what’s then went on to happen with Greenwood.

Yeah, unless options are extremely limited I don't think a move that league would be in anyone's best interest. Sure they might not get on and he wouldn't want him as a teammate but I can't image Ronaldo dislikes Greenwood so much that he would go out of his way to stop someone in the league from signing him.

Given all the people that said he should have been kept and that most supporters outside of RedCafe think he should have stayed, I'm guessing he must now have a long queue of suitors and teams in the PL falling over themselves to sign him?
Many people think the only reason he has left is due to media pressure (clearly that isn't the only thing in isolation). Seeing as that's a major factor, that would also explain why other clubs are avoiding him too, its not his ability is it?

Many people think the only reason he has left is due to media pressure (clearly that isn't the only thing in isolation). Seeing as that's a major factor, that would also explain why other clubs are avoiding him too, its not his ability is it?

I wonder if those blaming our own fans for this have thought for one second about why other clubs have already said no?

Those clubs have obviously been briefed by United and his agents on more details of the case including why they found him innocent of the charges, and the fans of those clubs aren't even aware of interest yet...

I hope it sinks in to people willing to throw each other under the bus, that the decision is and always will be over our heads.

That's fairly contained by caf standards!

The most true thing posted about this all in days :lol:

Waiting all this time to bring him back, then folding at the first sign of dissent, leaving yourselves with less than 2 weeks in the transfer window to get rid is honestly the most Manchester United thing I can think of.

Given all the people that said he should have been kept and that most supporters outside of RedCafe think he should have stayed, I'm guessing he must now have a long queue of suitors and teams in the PL falling over themselves to sign him?
In the end football club is still a business in the "entertainment" industry. It is understandable clubs want to stay away from trouble, just like back then Hollywood producers stayed away from Johnny Depp, regardless whether he is innocent or guilty. There are so many young prospects waiting to be unearth and it is just not worth the hassle.

Roma are a definitely no. Looking to buy Lukaku, flying in to London to close the deal.

Waiting all this time to bring him back, then folding at the first sign of dissent, leaving yourselves with less than 2 weeks in the transfer window to get rid is honestly the most Manchester United thing I can think of.
You have to wonder if its been done like this on purpose. To give the club no time to off load him so he has to stay, reluctantly (hint hint).

In the end football club is still a business in the "entertainment" industry. It is understandable clubs want to stay away from trouble, just like back then Hollywood producers stayed away from Johnny Depp, regardless whether he is innocent or guilty. There are so many young prospects waiting to be unearth and it is just not worth the hassle.
To be fair he isn’t just your run of the mill talent, he was a serious star in the making. A club of note will take the hit on him.

I wonder if those blaming our own fans for this have thought for one second about why other clubs have already said no?

Those clubs have obviously been briefed by United and his agents on more details of the case including why they found him innocent of the charges, and the fans of those clubs aren't even aware of interest yet...

I hope it sinks in to people willing to throw each other under the bus, that the decision is and always will be over our heads.

The most true thing posted about this all in days :lol:
I promised myself not to get embroiled in this discussion again, but, honestly, do you really believe this. Setting aside whatever picture that evidence they have available is, and how compelling/convincing that picture is or isn't compared to the twitter consensus and consensus here.... do you honestly believe the few people at the club who actually have insight into the non-publicly available evidence (including witness testimony, potentially other, longer clips etc) are going to share this with other clubs? Clubs where that information is harder to control, so that potentially lurid details about the relationship emerge. Or indeed with anyone outside of those who the witness and their family/legal rep consented that it be shared with.

Whether you think MG is guilty of all the offences, some of the offences or 'merely' guilty of being an adulterous and callous boyfriend (again, there have been others, apparently privy to the complaints friends' whatsapp chats and 'circles' of MG and complainant, who suggest that this was partially mutual, without absolving MG of being a 'cnut'...but , honestly, I don't know, not in a position to evaluate those claims) once the prosecution was dropped, its clear that the priority has been to minimize the exposure of the claimant (a young, new mother after all) to the press/social media -

If you don't believe this, consider why most of the 'usual' PR strategies, in terms of interviews and giving a clearer account of the alleged circumstances, are not being deployed here, despite the fact that even on a modest salary for PL football, they could afford a PR firm. It could be many reasons, from, yes, potentially exposing a 'cover story' to scrutiny, but also for avoiding emotional distress, to wanting to minimize chatter that their child will be exposed to later in the public digital domain, or about private but salacious details of their relationship, or something which would invite questions about whether they'd mutually agreed not to press charges or he had refused to press counter-charges over an accusation.

At least for now, those impulses will be weighed against potential further reputational and career damage by not elaborating further, particularly as it's almost certain recounting the events would reveal all kinds of further specific instances - toxicity, using derogatory language to her during arguments, confirmation of cheating - along with things the PS potentially chose to overlook around breaking bail conditions, which would be thrown in his face during subsequent interviews and appearances. Whatever you think about the strategy of letting him go , there is a non-zero chance this is much messier and complex than a glib 'he's guilty ' or 'she was pissed off with his cheating, tried to stitch him up and then withdrew for the money/when it got too serious'.

To be fair he isn’t just your run of the mill talent, he was a serious star in the making. A club of note will take the hit on him.
We will find out in less than a week. Johnny Depp was already a star actor when he got dropped by Hollywood.

Last edited:
I promised myself not to get embroiled in this discussion again, but, honestly, do you really believe this. Setting aside whatever picture that evidence they have available is, and how compelling/convincing that picture is or isn't compared to the twitter consensus and consensus here.... do you honestly believe the few people at the club who actually have insight into the non-publicly available evidence (including witness testimony, potentially other, longer clips etc) are going to share this with other clubs? Clubs where that information is harder to control, so that potentially lurid details about the relationship emerge. Or indeed with anyone outside of those who the witness and their family/legal rep consented that it be shared with.

Whether you think MG is guilty of all the offences, some of the offences or 'merely' guilty of being an adulterous and callous boyfriend (again, there have been others, apparently privy to the complaints friends' whatsapp chats and 'circles' of MG and complainant, who suggest that this was partially mutual, without absolving MG of being a 'cnut'...but , honestly, I don't know, not in a position to evaluate those claims) once the prosecution was dropped, its clear that the priority has been to minimize the exposure of the claimant (a young, new mother after all) to the press/social media -

If you don't believe this, consider why most of the 'usual' PR strategies, in terms of interviews and giving a clearer account of the alleged circumstances, are not being deployed here, despite the fact that even on a modest salary for PL football, they could afford a PR firm. It could be many reasons, from, yes, potentially exposing a 'cover story' to scrutiny, but also for avoiding emotional distress, to wanting to minimize chatter that their child will be exposed to later in the public digital domain, or about private but salacious details of their relationship, or something which would invite questions about whether they'd mutually agreed not to press charges or he had refused to press counter-charges over an accusation.

At least for now, those impulses will be weighed against potential further reputational and career damage by not elaborating further, particularly as it's almost certain recounting the events would reveal all kinds of further specific instances - toxicity, using derogatory language to her during arguments, confirmation of cheating - along with things the PS potentially chose to overlook around breaking bail conditions, which would be thrown in his face during subsequent interviews and appearances. Whatever you think about the strategy of letting him go , there is a non-zero chance this is much messier and complex than a glib 'he's guilty ' or 'she was pissed off with his cheating, tried to stitch him up and then withdrew for the money/when it got too serious'.

Ok, settle down, this isn't the other thread and you are vastly overthinking it.

Arnold has told us they don't have all the information, but what they do have makes United think he's "innocent". You don't think he's being shopped around to other clubs, and that particular reasoning hasn't come up? You don't think they aren't talking about this and why clubs should sign him and trying to make a package of it?

I never said they were telling any truth or actual evidence. I'm saying they are using the same PR they thought would work in their statement they are putting to clubs what they think is going to work, what they thought might work with us originally, and those clubs are still turning him down.

I'm saying those clubs see through it, one way or another, and it's not strictly to do with their fans just as much as it's not strictly to do with ours him leaving. In essence, I was agreeing with Januzaj there that there's more at play.

I think any idea of getting a decent fee for him is unrealistic, we'll just pay up his wages and release him on deadline day so he's free to go wherever when he eventually finds a club willing to take the gamble.

Not even the Saudis want him. Speaks volumes really.

Not really. They are trying to sportswash, he doesn't fit in right in with that plan right now - they won't touch most people

But he clearly thankfully isn't getting top clubs begging for him yet. I imagine he will end up somewhere in Turkey, Greece or Eastern Europe this season

I think he will end up at an italian club. Public blowback will be limited by the macho culture there.

Status
Not open for further replies.