Greatest individual player World Cup of all time?

It’s been discussed to death but no, Zidane being great in 1998 is a bit of a myth, he was generally a disappointment with only 1 assist and a stupid red card to show pre-final… before turning on God-mode and winning the final for France with a brace.
Clearly people who are saying Zidane only watched the final.
He was so disappointing ( by his standards) that some French Journos were calling for him to be dropped for the final. That was a total overreaction but he was under real pressure to perform in that final.
As they, the rest is history.

Clearly people who are saying Zidane only watched the final.
He was so disappointing ( by his standards) that some French Journos were calling for him to be dropped for the final. That was a total overreaction but he was under real pressure to perform in that final.
As they, the rest is history.
Agree. He was a lot better in 2006.

Kahn's 2002 is the most stunning for me. A GK singlehandedly carrying a heavyweight national side to the finals, and winning player of a tournament that featured a legendary victorious Brazilian squad. Shame that his greatest mistake came in that final though.

Agree. He was a lot better in 2006.

He was but there were calls for him being dropped after a disappointing group stage - pretty sure he missed the final group game too with suspension. He really turned it on in the KO's though.

I would add also his goal against Mexico in the group stages. Easy to forget that Argentina were in big trouble in the group, at 0-0 a late goal to Mexico and they were pretty much out.
It's actually mental to think of the situation they were in. Lost the first game and looking a bit clueless against Mexico - 30 minutes away from disaster. And then Messi scores that goal. Talk about a turnaround.

He was but there were calls for him being dropped after a disappointing group stage - pretty sure he missed the final group game too with suspension. He really turned it on in the KO's though.

Yeah I remember that. He wasn't great in the group stages, but was superb in the KO stages.

Also while Zidane was amazing in 2006, surely we have to dock him some points for his red card in the final?

Yeah I remember that. He wasn't great in the group stages, but was superb in the KO stages.

Also while Zidane was amazing in 2006, surely we have to dock him some points for his red card in the final?
nah it's such an iconic moment. scores a chip penalty. almost scores a header. violently headbutts. red. walks past the cup on the way out.

nah it's such an iconic moment. scores a chip penalty. almost scores a header. violently headbutts. red. walks past the cup on the way out.

It's an iconic moment of course, but he has to be blamed for picking up a red card in a WC final.

Messi did drift in and out of games this World Cup, it wasn’t the all encompassing playmaking maestro he was in the past, he picked his moments.
True and is fully understandable since he's 35, a fact that his naysayers conveniently ignore.

It's an iconic moment of course, but he has to be blamed for picking up a red card in a WC final.
Absolutely. Not only did they go a man down but lost their main penalty taker due to his loss of composure / temper. However he had so much credit in the bank I don't think there was all that much criticism.

I feel like alot of people on this forum are salty and probably watched this world cup through gritted teeth. Messi had 5 motm awards in 7 matches ffs. Without him Argentina don't win the WC.

Kind of irrelevant. Without their keeper they don't win either. If people honestly believe Messi's performances at this world cup equate to the greatest world cup ever by a single player I don't know what to say. It so obviously wasn't that I don't even know why there's a discussion on it.

Kind of irrelevant. Without their keeper they don't win either. If people honestly believe Messi's performances at this world cup equate to the greatest world cup ever by a single player I don't know what to say. It so obviously wasn't that I don't even know why there's a discussion on it.
It is not the greatest ever campaign by a single player but is the next best since Maradona in 1986. There is no wc since 1986 where a single player influenced every single game other than Messi this year (barring the Saudia game which turned out irrelevant).

As usual, it’s hard to add anything to your posts. Although I’d probably rate Moore’s 1966 even higher than 1970 (he was way more active in the build up although in 1970 he did have what is may be the single best defensive performance in an individual World Cup game). Maybe put Kahn in — yes, he fecked up in the final, but I’d rate him as a better/more important player than Ballack in that miraculous Germany’s campaign (let’s be honest, they were far from final-worthy as a team).
Agree, I'm another person who would rank Bobby in 1966 ahead of Bobby in 1970. Bobby 1966 was like a magician from the back, his skills, especially in terms of ball distribution and creating things from the back(are possibly the best from any defenders in World Cup history), while providing a similar level of defensive ability in 1970. In WC1970, he was still decent at both ball-playing ability and even a bit better in terms of defensive ability.

321153665_553531766315443_2719846702563162943_n.jpg
321133982_1446946635834303_752841148041142830_n.jpg

Stats in modern terms(estimation)

Again It couldn't tell everything on the pitch. I just show a bit of comparison.

Bobby Moore 1966Bobby Moore 1970
Tackle1.52.4
Interception3.03.4
Clearances5.83.5
Blocks0.91.6
Headers1.10.2
Fouls Committed2.50.5
Fouls drawn0.60.9
Non-shot- exp goals0.10.1
Passes48.247.8
Progressive passes17.424.2
Take-ons0.60.2
Progressive dribbles5.13.5
Touches in the box0.8-
Crosses0.2-
Pass percentages86.9088.50
Pass complete335226
Duel win3318
Duel loss3213
key passes135
assists21
goal00

If there was VAR in 1986, games would have been abandoned with all those players getting sent off with fouls on Maradona.
Agree, maybe England would have gotten 1-2 red cards in that game. There were a lot of brutal fouls from England defenders/midfielders when Maradona started to accelerate. England didn't use a man-marking strategy against Diego. Instead of that, they used more zonal and tactical fouls.

Maradona 86
Garrincha 62
Pelé 58-70, Muller 70, Cruyff 74, Baggio 94, Ronaldo 98-02, Rivaldo 02, Messi 22
Jairzinho 70, Beckenbauer 74, Rossi 82, Romário 94, Khan 02

Reactions: Invictus
Absolutely. Not only did they go a man down but lost their main penalty taker due to his loss of composure / temper. However he had so much credit in the bank I don't think there was all that much criticism.
I think it's because of what he did in the run up to the final. People forget that that year Zidane was retired from international football. The FFF had to literally beg him to come out of retirement because they were struggling to even qualify for the world cup. He then scored against Spain in the ro16 in a motm performance then got an assist against Brazil and a motm performance in the quarters. Scored the only goal (a pen) in the semi vs Portugal in another motm performance.

Like you said that's without him already winning them their first ever world cup. His credit in the bank was insane. Any other player would've been absolutely slaughtered after that but for some reason with Zidane that red has only added to his legacy.

There's a very interesting stat I remember reading once about the France team.

98 WC - Won
2000 Euros - Won
2002 WC - Group stage exit (Zidane was injured)
2004 Euros - QF vs Greece
2006 WC - Final
2008 Euros - Group stage exit (Zidane retired)
2010 WC - Group Stage exit (Zidane retired)

Wasn't till a whole new generation came in that they finally recovered from Zidane leaving.

Last edited:
Messi or Maradona...one could argue it either way, although in doing so one should acknowledge Maradona's handball that should never, ever been allowed.

As for a World Cup final performance, I realize he didn't score a goal but Schweinsteiger's performance that day was one for the ages that's hard to imagine ever being repeated. Most of us are fixated on goal scoring, but if we evaluate a total performance it's Bastian 2014 hands down.

Pele - rules allowed him to be kicked to shreds pre-1970 but he still beat sides almost single-handedly at times. Total class in 1970. When the whole Brazil team was brilliant, he still stood out