Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

I must have missed the bit where Alan Curbishley took a team from the Swedish 4th tier to the Europa League knockout rounds. Fair play to him.

As much as he's earned a shot at a big club, though, it does look like a terrible match. Any one of the other big six teams look like a better fit.

Nah, he just took Charlton up to PL twice, almost got them into Europe at least once and did a much better job with them than what Potter has done at Brighton so far.

One big difference potter is going to have to face is he won't have the luxury of being the under dog that allows his side space to play into.

A majority of teams will sit back against Chelsea, something that will be completely new to potter and the fans will not accept going defensive much like Brighton did at times tactically and formation wise.

One big difference potter is going to have to face is he won't have the luxury of being the under dog that allows his side space to play into.

A majority of teams will sit back against Chelsea, something that will be completely new to potter and the fans will not accept going defensive much like Brighton did at times tactically and formation wise.

The last year of football at Chelsea has been terrible to watch. I could not imagine it getting worse.

I still remember a time when Fergie had always insisted that the manager was always supposed to be the best-paid employee in the club.

A shocker that a manager would want to earn more money.

Managers are one of the biggest liabilities football club has - you can see that in the amount of compensation clubs are paying every year getting rid of them.

In reality clubs need to make the management contracts more generic - don't sack them, just keep on the books and make them part of the coaching squad for the women's team or the academy instead.

I’m not talking about FFP, I’m simply saying you’ve spent over £300m already this summer purely on players and management so given the investment you’re quickly burning through cash with not a lot to show for it.

Let’s not pretend the transfer window has been managed correctly or the sacking of Tuchel was part of a thought out plan. The cost of removing him and his staff was £15m, plus a further £20m to Brighton for Potter who you’ve then made one of the highest earning coaches in the Premier League at £12m per year (5 year deal). That’s a £95m commitment on a very inexperienced coach.

Additionally it seemed strange there was no managerial recruitment process. Tuchel gone and Potter hired within a day. No interviews or talks with anyone else. No seeing what others could bring to the table. No negotiations. Just another scramble which mirrored the clubs antics in the transfer window. Perhaps Potter was chosen based on the fact he had a release fee? Would not surprise me at all.

You have to wonder why Chelsea have had to make him one of the highest paid in the league, and world, given he’s moving from Brighton? Why has it taken all that money to tempt him? Again though Todd’s answer is to just throw money around with little strategy or plan. A very costly way of doing things and an attitude that will have to change if he wants to be successful.

I’m a big fan of Potter though and as I’ve said this may work out in the end. That said I’d be concerned how Chelsea appear to be operating at the moment and, if you listen to stories from tier one sources like The Athletic, how the new regime seem to be involving themselves in footballing matters. You have to wonder why it’s taking months to appoint a DoF when a new manager can be wrapped up within 24 hours. A totally backwards way of setting up a club for long term success. Perhaps Boehly is rather enjoying himself too much to care?

Its all good and well spending ridiculously large sums of money as on the face of it most fans will be kept happy. When you scratch between the surface though this looks as chaotic as it gets.

The new regime ARE going to be involving themselves in football matters right now. They had what they referred to as a first 100 days audit. So they asked about everything. You hear about the football stuff. But they also had huge issues with how the marketing staff was treated, how the match day staff was compensated, they even talked to the concession staff and asked questions.

It’s not about each individual player. It’s about understanding every detail about how players are chosen, how the process works in terms of building relationships with agents, other teams, how do you set up a plan for development of the players once they get here….

This is not new for them. They’ve followed the same model before. They are extremely detail oriented. When they are fully informed, and are happy with the club processes top to bottom, the level of involvement goes down

The Dodgers are playing RIGHT now, heading into the most important part of the season… and Boehly is in London. He is confident in every detail of the organization, so he doesnt need to be there. But that took time.

I get a certain level of skepticism, but this is a very professional, experienced group.
And the money isn’t an issue, or to put it another way, do you spend 3 off billion only to live with a glaring problem that can affect everything you are trying to build … to save 20 million? THAT would be a bad decision.

They didnt have to set Potters pay as high as they did, or fully guarantee it. But they want people to understand that they consider him worth that, and that they are serious when they say they want a manager engaged for a long term project.

It makes sense to me. It seems the opposite of chaotic. They are building toward a very specific vision for the entire club.

Managers are one of the biggest liabilities football club has - you can see that in the amount of compensation clubs are paying every year getting rid of them.

In reality clubs need to make the management contracts more generic - don't sack them, just keep on the books and make them part of the coaching squad for the women's team or the academy instead.

As if that's possible. Next what, do you want them to clean toilets also?

Players get demoted down from the first team squad all the time. There's no difference.

Yeah, next you will be telling DoF should be made to cut the grass because players are sometimes demoted to reserves and tea lady should be made DoF as sometimes players are promoted from U18 to first team.

I‘ve read from somebody more informed about Baseball that Boehly actually has little say in how things are run there and the approach was quite different to how he appears at Chelsea - although early days so that may change drastically. Impossible to say how this will play out in the long run but to invest such a huge amount of money with basically no idea about football/European market also almost immediately sacking a well known coach without a proper DoF in place. Not sure one can see this as a proper way to set things up for the future, regardless the lmho undeniable quality of players brought in and at least the theoretical fit of an ‚unproven‘ Potter for top dollar. For reference: Nagelsmann at Bayern was already under scrutiny after the last season to some extent and that was the supposed to be long term messiah as well (not saying he‘ll get sacked anytime soon of course).

Reactions: Cheimoon

“Hey Thomas, can I call you tactics Tommy’? Great, well lookie here buddy, we’re hiring Graham Potter to coach the first team. We still wanna keep you around, so we’ll have you sprinkle some of that tactics dazzle on the womens youth team, yeah? Wonderful great thanks. You’re a real team player buddy”

“Hey Thomas, can I call you tactics Tommy’? Great, well lookie here buddy, we’re hiring Graham Potter to coach the first team. We still wanna keep you around, so we’ll have you sprinkle some of that tactics dazzle on the womens youth team, yeah? Wonderful great thanks. You’re a real team player buddy”

Should have done that to Jose,

"Hey Jose, I know you are good with Italian and English. We have hired passionate Italian coach Conte, who is still learning English. Can you translate whatever Conte is saying to the team" :lol:

I‘ve read from somebody more informed about Baseball that Boehly actually has little say in how things are run there and the approach was quite different to how he appears at Chelsea - although early days so that may change drastically. Impossible to say how this will play out in the long run but to invest such a huge amount of money with basically no idea about football/European market also almost immediately sacking a well known coach without a proper DoF in place. Not sure one can see this as a proper way to set things up for the future, regardless the lmho undeniable quality of players brought in and at least the theoretical fit of an ‚unproven‘ Potter for top dollar. For reference: Nagelsmann at Bayern was already under scrutiny after the last season to some extent and that was the supposed to be long term messiah as well (not saying he‘ll get sacked anytime soon of course).

You probably shouldn’t listen to that person then. The exact same people involved in the ownership of Chelsea own the Dodgers. They do everything as a team that is fully about collaboration. It will be the same with Chelsea. Boehly is more out front because he attended London Business School and then worked in London at Citibank. He has always been a passionate fan of football, so he takes the lead. They will run it together just as they run the Dodgers. Time will tell if the approach will be successful. People that try to downplay Boehly’s involvement with the Dodgers really only show they don’t know how the group work.

You probably shouldn’t listen to that person then. The exact same people involved in the ownership of Chelsea own the Dodgers. They do everything as a team that is fully about collaboration. It will be the same with Chelsea. Boehly is more out front because he attended London Business School and then worked in London at Citibank. He has always been a passionate fan of football, so he takes the lead. They will run it together just as they run the Dodgers. Time will tell if the approach will be successful. People that try to downplay Boehly’s involvement with the Dodgers really only show they don’t know how the group work.

Boehly PR is in full swing.

Take it for what it is. I attend Atlanta Braves games and follow MLB. Boehly is just as big a part of the Dodgers as he is Chelsea.

I have no idea what is his role in Baseball and how good or bad he is. I have no idea on that, i was talking about "passionate football fan", i have seen Chelsea fans repeating this many times.

Dunno about the dodgers but so far he's been more Roman than Roman himself. Let's hope it stays that way. We need more yanks imposing themselves in our game.

I have no idea what is his role in Baseball and how good or bad he is. I have no idea on that, i was talking about "passionate football fan", i have seen Chelsea fans repeating this many times.

If you follow Chelsea, as the fans you are speaking about, then you have read all the quotes about people at Chelsea that have spent time with him. Everyone one of them say the exact same thing. He is passionate about football. His friends that knew him while he attended school in London and worked there say he was obsessed with football. His history is that. It might make for more clickbait to paint him as an American owner that bought a football team that knows little about the sport, but it is a foolish portrait of him. His involvement in football is just as a fan, so yeah, the nuts and bolts of running a club is new to him.

If you follow Chelsea, as the fans you are speaking about, then you have read all the quotes about people at Chelsea that have spent time with him. Everyone one of them say the exact same thing. He is passionate about football. His friends that knew him while he attended school in London and worked there say he was obsessed with football. His history is that. It might make for more clickbait to paint him as an American owner that bought a football team that knows little about the sport, but it is a foolish portrait of him. His involvement in football is just as a fan, so yeah, the nuts and bolts of running a club is new to him.

That's what PR is. I'm not saying it's true or not, it's very good PR. See how Chelsea fans can't post about Boehly without telling everyone how he is such a passionate football fan.

That's what PR is. I'm not saying it's true or not, it's very good PR. See how Chelsea fans can't post about Boehly without telling everyone how he is such a passionate football fan.

When the PR matches the man’s history, then maybe the PR is dead on.

It’s a shame he’s gone to them. I actually like potter as a manager and would usually want him to succeed but obviously being at one of our rivals I want him to fail now.

When the PR matches the man’s history, then maybe the PR is dead on.

Matches man's history? I might have missed all his accomplishments in football. Please give me the link so that i can learn a thing or two about this football accomplishments.

Matches man's history? I might have missed all his accomplishments in football. Please give me the link so that i can learn a thing or two about this football accomplishments.

I think we might have stopped discussing this in a polite way. I took the time to post about him being a fan since he was a young man. If he will be a good owner for Chelsea or not, time will tell. I think all the early signs are very positive.

Chelsea have never been renown for attacking play or attacking managers. Tuchel, Mourinho and Conte all pragmatic in their approaches.

I think we might have stopped discussing this in a polite way. I took the time to post about him being a fan since he was a young man. If he will be a good owner for Chelsea or not, time will tell. I think all the early signs are very positive.

I don't know where I was harsh or impolite. All I said was it's a PR move, said nothing about his credentials, whether he will be good or bad owner or his past with any other sport.

Chelsea have never been renown for attacking play or attacking managers. Tuchel, Mourinho and Conte all pragmatic in their approaches.
Interesting you say that, when we held the record for most goals in a season for 10 years. Remind me when United last scored 100 goals in the league?

You sound like a Liverpool fan.

‘Most goals in a league season for 10 years trophy’
:lol: :lol: They’ve always been a trophy first club. Probably why they’ve gone for mourinho and conte. Although they play defensive football, they win things.

The new regime ARE going to be involving themselves in football matters right now. They had what they referred to as a first 100 days audit. So they asked about everything. You hear about the football stuff. But they also had huge issues with how the marketing staff was treated, how the match day staff was compensated, they even talked to the concession staff and asked questions.

It’s not about each individual player. It’s about understanding every detail about how players are chosen, how the process works in terms of building relationships with agents, other teams, how do you set up a plan for development of the players once they get here….

This is not new for them. They’ve followed the same model before. They are extremely detail oriented. When they are fully informed, and are happy with the club processes top to bottom, the level of involvement goes down

The Dodgers are playing RIGHT now, heading into the most important part of the season… and Boehly is in London. He is confident in every detail of the organization, so he doesnt need to be there. But that took time.

I get a certain level of skepticism, but this is a very professional, experienced group.
And the money isn’t an issue, or to put it another way, do you spend 3 off billion only to live with a glaring problem that can affect everything you are trying to build … to save 20 million? THAT would be a bad decision.

They didnt have to set Potters pay as high as they did, or fully guarantee it. But they want people to understand that they consider him worth that, and that they are serious when they say they want a manager engaged for a long term project.

It makes sense to me. It seems the opposite of chaotic. They are building toward a very specific vision for the entire club.

I enjoy your posts so don’t take this the wrong way but that sounds like pure Clearlake PR spin.

Smoke him a kipper, he'll be back for breakfast.

:lol: :lol: They’ve always been a trophy first club. Probably why they’ve gone for mourinho and conte. Although they play defensive football, they win things.

I mean they are a long way behind United in terms of silverware so understandable they’ll take anything to boost the talley!

If Potter becomes their Dave Roberts, the rest of the PL is in trouble.

He had tried to buy Chelsea back before Covid hit but Roman refused to sell.