Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Well that escalated quickly but i think there is more plan to it than it seems.

Sad for Tuchel but happy for Potter, what can we fans do?

Matt Law reports Boehly was quite happy to go with Tuchel in the beginning but with new Owners comes a new work culture and Tuchel was still stuck in the old regime. Several times Tuchel stated he was so happy to work at Chelsea because he can work on his own and can totally concentrate on coaching. The internal hierarchy was quite small and Tuchel really only spoke to Marina and Cech for football related topics.

Boehly wanted more communication and involvement from Tuchel. Ronaldo gets broad up often (mostly of his name - they big it up) because he wanted explanation and not just "no". Further Tuchel didn't want to get involved with who the DoF will be. Critizing the "sacking" of Cech in press. Not ready to share his ideas with Boehly or take some on. It seems Tuchel wanted it his way and not the new owners way, if that is good or bad we will see but Tuchel should have been more diplomatic i guess. Matt Law reported other incidents like this. It seems trivial but new owners new rules.

Many seem to think Boehly bought the players solely for Tuchel but if you look at it only Aubamyeng and even he is an okay solution because of our lack of strikers.

Who would say no to Fofana, Koulibaly (slow start but still new in the league), Sterling, Cucurella (was it all planned for Potter? Joke)? Few potential good young player were also bought. Apperently Boehly was not happy to let go Gilmour because of our midfield but he was allowed to go and Broja stayed because he wanted to stay.

If the results/more the performance and body language of the team were better he would have probably stayed a bit but because of the recent past he got the kick.

Boehly went really fast for Potter and got it done in like a day, there was for sure some conversations beforehand and you don't give an relative unproven Manager a 5 yeah contract if you don't want to go for a long term project. You give him 3years and let the staff stay at Brighton. At least i hope so but i would be naive to believe it yet.

It’s very strange how it’s all unfolded. What do you think has happened?
Probably burst up with todd for not getting pacy right winger. We linked with many but didn't get one. Team really lacked pace up front except sterling may be. He too pretty good off the ball runner than with the ball.

Aubameyang vs Ronaldo also probably made serious damage. Ronaldo was pushed by todd and tuchel rejected straight away.

Finally Of course todd is our new owner probably wanted his own choices now. If so he should have relieved him before and spent the money for new manager and his choices. That's really puzzled me.

Big mistake from todd think Brighton and chelsea are same because they both playing same game called football or in his own mind soccer. :(

The new Chelsea manager seems to have been finalised well before the CL debacle against Dinamo Zagreb or probably even before Saturday's PL loss against West Ham. It is not otherwise possible to fire the manager and get hold of apparently the first-choice manager from a rival club in only one day!

Looks like the relationship between Todd and Tuchel ended bitterly during the transfer window.

When you look at what they've done in America, Potter is their type of manager they'll try and stick with and he'll work closely with Boehly's team. Of course if results are terrible for too long he will get sacked, then they might have to look at top managers used to a different way working and relax their vision.

I think Potter will be successful and he's done everything right in his education and career so far but players may need convincing, there hasn't been a successful English manager since Howard Wilkinson and there's a stigma around British coaching/training. Potter is the best candidate to overcome that and suit and adapt to a full on US franchise style setup. There's nothing Moyesy about the appointment in my view but could last as long.

If that is the case, most of the new signings were Todd's and Tuchel had very little say.

I mean I am worried it might work out, but I am hoping it doesn't work out :lol:.

Be interesting to see if Boehly loosens his grip in terms of football decisions, because big name players do not always fit the profile of what is necessary for the team to succeed in a setup like Potter/Brighton.

Potter will make big decisions and how it unfolds within the dressing room will be of great interest as well.

I’d be delighted if I were a Chelsea fan. They will be unplayable if they back him correctly. A good squad for him now. Defo winning a cup this season.
White text?

Under what evidence will they be 'unplayable'? And why will they definitely win a cup?

Not so often you see an English manager secure a job at a top six side, quick scout on Wikipedia of the last 30 years:

Liverpool - Hodgson, Evans
Spurs - Sherwood, Hoddle, Redknapp
Chelsea - Lampard, Hoddle

Only Evans won anything from the above roles (League Cup, 1995).

It could of course be an historical fluke, but it'll be interesting to see how Potter does.

I had expected either spurs or Chelsea would sign him.
He won't be long term manager though.

Chelsea would probably have sacked Moyes when we did as it was quite quick, LVG would have been sacked mid second season, Jose would have been sacked the summer he basically full scale rebelled and Ole would have been moved on his first summer. United give managers too much time in my opinion.
Zero chance Moyes would have survived there till April and their season being effectively over. They acted faster with the likes of Villas Boas or Scolari, who were more high-profile and better managers than Moyes.

Zero chance Moyes would have survived there till April and their season being effectively over. They acted faster with the likes of Villas Boas or Scolari, who were more high-profile and better managers than Moyes.
Yeah true, I was trying to remember why we waited and it was the mathematical top four from memory - they'd have given him the chop after the back to back home losses which put us 9th in Dec.

Massive step up...huge risk for both parties.

Zero guarantee that he will be able to work with top players and under some actual pressure.

But as a manager at any top 6 side the worst that can happen is you get the sack and a few million with your P45.

The length of the contract is crazy given the average length that Chelsea managers stay, and that's even if they win a league or a champions League

Well that escalated quickly but i think there is more plan to it than it seems.

Sad for Tuchel but happy for Potter, what can we fans do?

Matt Law reports Boehly was quite happy to go with Tuchel in the beginning but with new Owners comes a new work culture and Tuchel was still stuck in the old regime. Several times Tuchel stated he was so happy to work at Chelsea because he can work on his own and can totally concentrate on coaching. The internal hierarchy was quite small and Tuchel really only spoke to Marina and Cech for football related topics.

Boehly wanted more communication and involvement from Tuchel. Ronaldo gets broad up often (mostly of his name - they big it up) because he wanted explanation and not just "no". Further Tuchel didn't want to get involved with who the DoF will be. Critizing the "sacking" of Cech in press. Not ready to share his ideas with Boehly or take some on. It seems Tuchel wanted it his way and not the new owners way, if that is good or bad we will see but Tuchel should have been more diplomatic i guess. Matt Law reported other incidents like this. It seems trivial but new owners new rules.

Many seem to think Boehly bought the players solely for Tuchel but if you look at it only Aubamyeng and even he is an okay solution because of our lack of strikers.

Who would say no to Fofana, Koulibaly (slow start but still new in the league), Sterling, Cucurella (was it all planned for Potter? Joke)? Few potential good young player were also bought. Apperently Boehly was not happy to let go Gilmour because of our midfield but he was allowed to go and Broja stayed because he wanted to stay.

If the results/more the performance and body language of the team were better he would have probably stayed a bit but because of the recent past he got the kick.

Boehly went really fast for Potter and got it done in like a day, there was for sure some conversations beforehand and you don't give an relative unproven Manager a 5 yeah contract if you don't want to go for a long term project. You give him 3years and let the staff stay at Brighton. At least i hope so but i would be naive to believe it yet.
Potter coming in has been in the works for a few days/week or so, its obvious. Look how quick it happened. Im not saying Potter was talking to us without permission, I'm saying his appointment was being arranged internally at Chelsea... prior to TT sacking

Plus you got the reports that the incoming new DOF has had an input into his hiring, too. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision to go for him,

I wouldn't have taken the job if I was Potter. Hopefully he now makes it financially impossible for Chelsea to sack him in the future. Chelsea is just such a volatile club, that I would demand huge financial guarantees to deter them from firing me on a whim.

Wow he's done a good job a Brighton. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the bounce.

He dropped them like a bad habit, without a second thought, while they were having the start of their life. I'd be fuming too.
Not only that, he took a lot of the backroom staff with him. They've gutted Brighton.

Plus a run of 6 defeats in a row at one point last season. Also their average goals scored in the last 3 seasons was about 40. Burnley averaged 37 a season over the same period.

He did a lot good don't get me wrong, and could have a really high ceiling. But I agree, there is a lot of risk around this appointment. This is being described like its a no brainer.

I don't think people realize the gulf in quality between clubs in the PL, particularly for teams like Brighton who haven't had PL TV money for 10+ years.

There is no room for depth and every player who shows exceptional quality is snapped up by a bigger club in the next transfer window.

Brighton goes on losing streaks because their squad is all untested players they brought in from abroad and player who are clearly not good enough for top 6 sides, and they can't afford quality backups.

Getting anywhere near top 6 with the resources he's had at Brighton is impressive, and it's reasonable to think he can do better with more resources.

The only reason this is "risky" is because people overvalue big club management experience, as if, say, Jose Mourinho's experience at several big clubs counts for more than the fact that he has had a meltdown and been sacked at every single one of them as well.

It's disgusting the way he just cleaned and gutted out Brighton and brought practically the whole backroom operation with him, even club legend Bruno has gone. Distasteful and has left Brighton on an absolute state.

It's disgusting the way he just cleaned and gutted out Brighton and brought practically the whole backroom operation with him, even club legend Bruno has gone. Distasteful and has left Brighton on an absolute state.
Serves them right for twatting us.

Potter will have the money to really exploit what he has in mind as great football.

The only thing that gives me hope as a Chelsea rival is that this time Roman is not in charge, that guy was so lucky and we still dont know what the American will bring to the table, he could be another Glazer, unlucky and loser.

Gran's sides have at most scored 42 goals in a season, yet supposedly plays exciting football, never had a positive goal difference, 15th, 16th and 9th place finishes. Gran had some great players as well on his Gull sides. Overrated flavor of the month mid/lower table English manager.
Should have finished higher when finishing 15th and 16th. Who knows where they'd finish this season, probably top 8. Playing really good football and getting results with a limited budget is not easy.

Brightons successful structure gone with the wind. This is a legitimate disaster for the club.
Yeah, must be really hard to take for them, would've been better if it happened last on next May, this way it just happened to them kinda out of nowhere.

A tough one this, I mean he’s done an amazing job at Brighton (well he and his staff) and a top 6 club in for him, he could wait but really what other top jobs are there available right now, would he get another chance. But on the other hand it is Chelsea the most volatile job around, I have to say it’s shit for Brighton, season only just underway and the club is gutted, how do you rebuild at this stage. If it were any other club I’d want Potter to be successful as we need more talented British managers, but I also hope Chelsea fall flat on their face for the way they have shafted Brighton.

Reactions: Cheimoon