Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Ridiculous they decided to pass up on the managerial GOAT that is Poch for Potter. Jokes aside, I think he'll do annoyingly well there, huge fan of Potter for a while now, very good progressive coach.

A tough one this, I mean he’s done an amazing job at Brighton (well he and his staff) and a top 6 club in for him, he could wait but really what other top jobs are there available right now, would he get another chance. But on the other hand it is Chelsea the most volatile job around, I have to say it’s shit for Brighton, season only just underway and the club is gutted, how do you rebuild at this stage. If it were any other club I’d want Potter to be successful as we need more talented British managers, but I also hope Chelsea fall flat on their face for the way they have shafted Brighton.

In the big peoples football world your responsibility is to yourself. Brighton didn’t think twice when the sacked Hough ton nor should they .
Do you think that Utd were thinking about Ajax when they took their manage or prised Antony from them ? Of course not nor should they.
As for Chelsea’s job being the most volatile it might just be worth spending a few minutes researching the number of managers other clubs have had in the PL era Chelsea yes have had quite a few but they aren’t alone . Yep some clubs have not had too many but if you widen your research take a look at the likes of Real, Ajax, Bayern you’ll be suprised just how often theses European giants change head coaches

I hope it fails. That Todd Boehly looks a right cnut.

In the big peoples football world your responsibility is to yourself. Brighton didn’t think twice when the sacked Hough ton nor should they .
Do you think that Utd were thinking about Ajax when they took their manage or prised Antony from them ? Of course not nor should they.
As for Chelsea’s job being the most volatile it might just be worth spending a few minutes researching the number of managers other clubs have had in the PL era Chelsea yes have had quite a few but they aren’t alone . Yep some clubs have not had too many but if you widen your research take a look at the likes of Real, Ajax, Bayern you’ll be suprised just how often theses European giants change head coaches
Look at the timing, yes we did take ETH…..at the end of the season, this is shockingly bad timing from Chelsea. And you haven’t had a manger since Dave Sexton last more than five years, it’s not the fact that they went in for him……of course you are entitled to, that’s just football. But 5-6 games into the season it’s pretty bad, listen if he were going to RM i would have said exactly the same…..but the topic is him going to Chelsea.

Yeah, must be really hard to take for them, would've been better if it happened last on next May, this way it just happened to them kinda out of nowhere.

To be fair, they could have said no about speaking to him.

Definitely this. They divested themselves of a Russian criminal and in the process continued to be as unlikable with Boehly.

I hope it fails. That Todd Boehly looks a right cnut.

Good I am glad. There is a weird phenomena in football where once someone manages a top club, no matter how poor a job they did, they seem to the go on a never ending streak of good jobs, regardless of how they perform in any of those jobs. Poch did good at Spurs, at PSG he was exposed as not good enough for that level. And it seems everyone has realized this, no one wants to touch him with a 10 foot poll and you will now occasionally read articles about how he isn't good enough. In the past, once he had that PSG job he was probably pretty much guaranteed Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, etc, etc. at some point.
You're celebrating far too early. He'll get another good job soon enough.

Like Potter as a coach, but i think this is too big for him. Can see a Vilas-Boas kinda situation happening.

Like Potter as a coach, but i think this is too big for him. Can see a Vilas-Boas kinda situation happening.
You guys must have a real knack for self loathing when it comes to English coaches for a Villas Boas reference

Would be interesting if there was a window to sign the manager of another team which closed at the same time as the transfer window!!!

£12m a year contract can't be right? That's insane
From last year:
1. Pep Guardiola – £19m (hmmm...)
2. Jurgen Klopp – £16m
3. Antonio Conte – £15m
4. Brendan Rodgers – £10m
5. Mikel Arteta – £8.3m
6. Ralf Rangnick – £8m
7. Marcelo Bielsa – £8m
8. Thomas Tuchel – £7m

The only surprise is how Tuchel was getting less than the freelancing Rangnick and Arteta. He probably got a nice bonus with the CL win at least.

Brighton have been dismantled. Not sure where they go from here.

£12m a year contract can't be right? That's insane

No really when it comes to Chelsea and Boehly. Just give everyone what they want in terms of money.

Not going to be much of that 1.7bn investment left he promised the amount that’s been wasted this season alone :lol:

I would have hired and fired 10 or so coaches for more than 15 m apiece just to get Villas Boas next to our badge off graphics like this….

No really when it comes to Chelsea and Boehly. Just give everyone what they want in terms of money.

Not going to be much of that 1.7bn investment left he promised the amount that’s been wasted this season alone :lol:
That 1.7 is being done in two installments. It is set aside in a separate fund for capital investment. They moved the first 800m in about a month ago.

I don’t believe they have to count any of that towards FFP

Ah, he's barely a modern day Curbishley.

I give him 18 months.
If he tries to do his work through the media he's screwed. I think that'll be the early sign as to whether he stands a chance or not.

The noises coming out of the club are that he won’t be judged this season on CL qualification, and they have a 10 year plan in place. Excellent stewardship of the club if true, and the sort of owners you want. But as always, the proof will be in the pudding. Many owners say this and then bow to fan pressure, or knee jerk emotional responses. But on face value, I would be very encouraged if I was a Chelsea fan.

That 1.7 is being done in two installments. It is set aside in a separate fund for capital investment. They moved the first 800m in about a month ago.

Anything CapEx related does not count towards FFP as far as I am aware. You are correct.

9th place last year, 16th place the year before last. A lot of the goodwill he has banked seems to come from Brighton's start to the season.

This is a gamble, there is no guarantee he is a success.

Ah, he's barely a modern day Curbishley.

I give him 18 months.

I must have missed the bit where Alan Curbishley took a team from the Swedish 4th tier to the Europa League knockout rounds. Fair play to him.

As much as he's earned a shot at a big club, though, it does look like a terrible match. Any one of the other big six teams look like a better fit.

From last year:
1. Pep Guardiola – £19m (hmmm...)
2. Jurgen Klopp – £16m
3. Antonio Conte – £15m
4. Brendan Rodgers – £10m
5. Mikel Arteta – £8.3m
6. Ralf Rangnick – £8m
7. Marcelo Bielsa – £8m
8. Thomas Tuchel – £7m

The only surprise is how Tuchel was getting less than the freelancing Rangnick and Arteta. He probably got a nice bonus with the CL win at least.

Bielsa getting 8m is madness. What is Ten Hag on now? Potter getting 12m is a lot for his level of experience but I don’t think it’s an area where one pinches pennies if you are committed to a long term plan. Still, to put him near to Conte - when he hasn’t managed or played a minute of CL football in his life - and 50% above Tuchel, seems rather extravagant.

I guess he won’t be left in any doubt as to their belief in him (considering the wage and 5 year deal); and that in itself has tremendous value.

The noises coming out of the club are that he won’t be judged this season on CL qualification, and they have a 10 year plan in place. Excellent stewardship of the club if true, and the sort of owners you want. But as always, the proof will be in the pudding. Many owners say this and then bow to fan pressure, or knee jerk emotional responses. But on face value, I would be very encouraged if I was a Chelsea fan.
A lot will depend on whether it's a good or cunning plan :D

Edit: Step one being to spend £200m and then sack the manager you've signed them for isn't partularly encouraging.

I really like Potter, plays good progressive football, multi tactics in 90 mind, develops players (what he has done with Welbeck is incredible) good relationships and has some European experience, even if it was in the Nordics. As much as I despise Chelsea, I hope he does alright and one day replaces Southgate as England's manager.

Bielsa getting 8m is madness. What is Ten Hag on now? Potter getting 12m is a lot for his level of experience but I don’t think it’s an area where one pinches pennies if you are committed to a long term plan. Still, to put him near to Conte - when he hasn’t managed or played a minute of CL football in his life - and 50% above Tuchel, seems rather extravagant.

I guess he won’t be left in any doubt as to their belief in him (considering the wage and 5 year deal); and that in itself has tremendous value.

I think ETH's on like 7m

I think ETH's on like 7m
It says 9m per year for 3+1 years contract, so 5th best paid just above Arteta. Potter's wages are probably inflated because of the situation. Can't remember a manager being plucked 2 weeks after the window closes ?

A lot will depend on whether it's a good or cunning plan :D

Edit: Step one being to spend £200m and then sack the manager you've signed them for isn't partularly encouraging.
Going any farther with someone you’ve discovered absolutely doesn’t work for what you want to do, and jumping back into the whole “you win you stay” cycle while letting the dysfunction fester, doesn’t seem like a great plan either. Firing Tuchel without any up close evaluation, or trying to build a relationship wouldn’t have gone over well with anyone, and wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. Tough position, but here we are. Any decision you plan to make tomorrow you should go ahead and make today.

People keep mentioning the outlay for players … one of them was a Potter player, Fofana is good on the ball and can play in a back 3 or 4, no way Potter wouldn’t want Sterling, Koulibaliy probably would have been a target either way and Potter might be able to get him in better form, and Tuchel didn’t even want to get involved with the youth purchases, or in helping us keep players like Chalobah and Broja, so a change is easily better there.

Aubamayang was 7m, if it works it works. He can still get his chance to show up Arsenal instead of riding the bench for Barca if he wants it. It’s up to him really. We explored other options and stood firm on the lower price.

Having Potter wouldn’t have helped us get the targets like Leao and Gordon we just couldn’t get across the line this window.

I would have liked to see if Potter could have worked with Werner, buts it’s not like the spend in the window was wasted.

The thing being overlooked is it’s a better situation for Tuchel as well.

It says 9m per year for 3+1 years contract, so 5th best paid just above Arteta. Potter's wages are probably inflated because of the situation. Can't remember a manager being plucked 2 weeks after the window closes ?

I still remember a time when Fergie had always insisted that the manager was always supposed to be the best-paid employee in the club.

Last edited:

Going any farther with someone you’ve discovered absolutely doesn’t work for what you want to do, and jumping back into the whole “you win you stay” cycle while letting the dysfunction fester, doesn’t seem like a great plan either. Firing Tuchel without any up close evaluation, or trying to build a relationship wouldn’t have gone over well with anyone, and wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. Tough position, but here we are. Any decision you plan to make tomorrow you should go ahead and make today.

People keep mentioning the outlay for players … one of them was a Potter player, Fofana is good on the ball and can play in a back 3 or 4, no way Potter wouldn’t want Sterling, Koulibaliy probably would have been a target either way and Potter might be able to get him in better form, and Tuchel didn’t even want to get involved with the youth purchases, or in helping us keep players like Chalobah and Broja, so a change is easily better there.

Aubamayang was 7m, if it works it works. He can still get his chance to show up Arsenal instead of riding the bench for Barca if he wants it. It’s up to him really. We explored other options and stood firm on the lower price.

Having Potter wouldn’t have helped us get the targets like Leao and Gordon we just couldn’t get across the line this window.

I would have liked to see if Potter could have worked with Werner, buts it’s not like the spend in the window was wasted.

The thing being overlooked is it’s a better situation for Tuchel as well.

I’m not talking about FFP, I’m simply saying you’ve spent over £300m already this summer purely on players and management so given the investment you’re quickly burning through cash with not a lot to show for it.

Let’s not pretend the transfer window has been managed correctly or the sacking of Tuchel was part of a thought out plan. The cost of removing him and his staff was £15m, plus a further £20m to Brighton for Potter who you’ve then made one of the highest earning coaches in the Premier League at £12m per year (5 year deal). That’s a £95m commitment on a very inexperienced coach.

Additionally it seemed strange there was no managerial recruitment process. Tuchel gone and Potter hired within a day. No interviews or talks with anyone else. No seeing what others could bring to the table. No negotiations. Just another scramble which mirrored the clubs antics in the transfer window. Perhaps Potter was chosen based on the fact he had a release fee? Would not surprise me at all.

You have to wonder why Chelsea have had to make him one of the highest paid in the league, and world, given he’s moving from Brighton? Why has it taken all that money to tempt him? Again though Todd’s answer is to just throw money around with little strategy or plan. A very costly way of doing things and an attitude that will have to change if he wants to be successful.

I’m a big fan of Potter though and as I’ve said this may work out in the end. That said I’d be concerned how Chelsea appear to be operating at the moment and, if you listen to stories from tier one sources like The Athletic, how the new regime seem to be involving themselves in footballing matters. You have to wonder why it’s taking months to appoint a DoF when a new manager can be wrapped up within 24 hours. A totally backwards way of setting up a club for long term success. Perhaps Boehly is rather enjoying himself too much to care?

Its all good and well spending ridiculously large sums of money as on the face of it most fans will be kept happy. When you scratch between the surface though this looks as chaotic as it gets.

I do love me some chaotic Chelsea. I'll take the CL again thank you.