German Football 23/24 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are Bayern trying to keep things interesting for another year? ;)

i, for one, saw no sinlge match last season in which i thought "man that Sommer really is a class above Ullreich" - so he will do for the first half of the season. If we drop out of the CL group stage, it wont be Ulrreichs fault alone. Only problem is that his backup is an U19 player so he better doesn't go skiing.

i, for one, saw no sinlge match last season in which i thought "man that Sommer really is a class above Ullreich" - so he will do for the first half of the season. If we drop out of the CL group stage, it wont be Ulrreichs fault alone. Only problem is that his backup is an U19 player so he better doesn't go skiing.

I think the same. The team trusts Ulle, too, what is important.

And Tuchel just told in his press conference that Neuer after the latest impressions is not far away from returning into team training. That after the last surgery they had to remove the nails it is not going a lot faster.

Bayern are taking two bets here: that Ulreich will do an adequate job and that Neuer will come back quickly enough and in good enough shape for the deciding games in the second half of the season.
I think either one carries a certain, calculated, risk. I wouldn't be shocked if it works out okay, but if it doesn't the told you so articles will write themselves.

I think the same. The team trusts Ulle, too, what is important.

And Tuchel just told in his press conference that Neuer after the latest impressions is not far away from returning into team training. That after the last surgery they had to remove the nails it is not going a lot faster.
Man those pros are spoilt I do my own nail removal with a pair of clippers :D

but Bayern aside, the league is near and there are a lot of other interesting topics aside from Manus pedicure problems. apart from the obvious ones, like for how many weeks will BVB make everyone including themselves think they *might* challenge for the title and then bottle it... for example:

- how will Keita do for Werder?
Bonucci for Union? (still cant believe i'm not dreaming that)?
Why the hell is Heidenheim listed on the Kicker website as being in BL1?
Will Frankfurt get to enjoy Kolo Muani one more season and how badly will he falter?
If not -chances are slim i know- how strong will they be?
What will Hoeneß be able to get out of his VfB?
Will Augsburg finally be relegated after 12 years of Didi Hamann saying they will?

so many questions..

Last edited:
Getting nightmares of Ulreich versus Madrid in 17/18. Jokes aside, he's mostly been a very capable number 2 so it's good to see them keeping faith in him.

The 'Kimmich isn't a number 6' debate is interesting. While Kimmich definitely isn't a pure number 6 in the way Casemiro, Rice and Busquests are, he's certainly capable of playing that role alongside a box to box type midfielder. Essentially, that was the combination Bayern were going for with Kimmich-Goretzka, and worked well the first couple of seasons but Goretzka's form has dipped with his injuries.

If Bayern want to go with a formation where they need a pure DM, then Kimmich there would be a waste because he has great qualities going forward. I don't see how they can't fit him in a double pivot with Goretzka/Laimer, similar to Schweinsteiger/Khedira for Germany.

Maybe the issue is also with who plays as the third central midfielder. Having someone like Musiala or Muller, who won't help with running back to defend. That is why we saw the trend of playing with two number 8s with a number 6 rather than a number 10, which is what Bayern essentially have. Ultimately, I don't think the biggest issue Bayern faced last season was a lack of a pure number 6, even against Leipzig the biggest issue was there lack of finishing.

With Muller or Musiala as part of the midfield 3, Bayern is effectively playing a 4-2-2-2 As the 3rd midfielder plays very high in the opposition box almost as a second striker.
Man Utd fans would be familiar with this problem as Bruno plays the same way and occupies the same Muller/Musiala role. Their offensive contribution most times cover for their deficiency in midfield as a controller.
Several coaches have tried to play them either as the 9, or on the wings which didn't work out

You can get away with this vs 80 to 90% of teams in Europe but when you get to the big games then the midfield will get overrun

Kimmich, Goretzka/Laimer, Muller/Musiala will struggle vs City Rodri, Stones, Bernardo, KdB or Tchouameni, Kroos Modric

I could see Bierhoff having been sacked just for signing up for this.

Why the hell is Heidenheim listed on the Kicker website as being in BL1?

Their path to the Bundesliga isn't that different from the last club to debut in the league, Union Berlin...both spent several years in the upper half of the 2. Bundesliga, building a good foundation before finally making the jump. I find that more promising than the likes of Paderborn or Fürth who seem to randomly make it to the Bundesliga in good seasons while flirting with relegation to the. 3.Liga in weaker years.
That tiny stadium is a problem though. Increasing the capacity to 25.000 next year will be an important step for their long-term growth.
Anyway, this will be the 57th club to join the Bundesliga, which begs the question: who will be nr. 58?
There really aren't that many candidates at the moment:

2. Bundesliga: Kiel, Magdeburg, Wiesbaden, Osnabrück, Elversberg
3. Bundesliga: Viktoria Köln, Halle, Aue, Regensburg, Lübeck, Sandhausen, Verl

Kiel seems like the obvious candidate with a similar path to what Union and Heidenheim did in the 2. Bundesliga. Looks like they're not getting a suitable stadium anytime soon though...
Magdeburg would be an interesting addition to the league with their glorious past and big fanbase. They might want to establish themselves in the second league first though before going for more.
All the other candidates look like a very long shot to me, none of them would be ready for this.

Hertha and HSV both seeing the CL return to their stadiums in the same season? What were the odds?

Hertha and HSV both seeing the CL return to their stadiums in the same season? What were the odds?

Indeed a strange choice. Why coming to Hamburg, I am not aware of any deeper connection between the clubs and geographically it doesn't make that much sense either?

They could even end up in the same group. ^^
Meanwhile Union spends another 4 million (+ bonuses) on Volland...he was really poor last season, let's see how much he has left in the tank. I guess he'll replace Jordan who never really worked out in Berlin.

Indeed a strange choice. Why coming to Hamburg, I am not aware of any deeper connection between the clubs and geographically it doesn't make that much sense either?

I assume Germany has taken in the most Ukranian refugees together with/after Poland. So it makes sense to pick one of the two countries. Berlin and Leipzig play in the CL themselves, so they aren't viable candidates, which probably left Hamburg as the top tier stadium closest to Poland. I don't know how the situation is on the Polish side, but I'd wager they didn't have that many comparable stadiums available either, so it's not such a strange choice if you look at it from this angle.

I assume Germany has taken in the most Ukranian refugees together with/after Poland. So it makes sense to pick one of the two countries. Berlin and Leipzig play in the CL themselves, so they aren't viable candidates, which probably left Hamburg as the top tier stadium closest to Poland. I don't know how the situation is on the Polish side, but I'd wager they didn't have that many comparable stadiums available either, so it's not such a strange choice if you look at it from this angle.
Ukraine has also a very robust backing in Hamburg. The Klitschkos living in the city for years is also part of the connection.

Kane starts. I’m actually interested to watch the farmer’s league now that he’s there.

The space in behind in the Bundesliga is just mad.

The fecking state of Bundesliga defensive lines, absolutely suicidal :lol:

Little flick around the corner on the halfway line, goal.

Kane is going to get so... so many assists with Sane, Coman and Gnabry on the wings

The space is exactly the reason Sancho was so brilliant in that league. Insane how open it is

The space is exactly the reason Sancho was so brilliant in that league. Insane how open it is

Half of fecking Weghorst's Bundesliga goals seemed to be him running in behind defence free as a bird 1v1 with the keeper, with his zimmer frame pace.

The whole league seems to defend like Villa did against Newcastle.

Half of fecking Weghorst's Bundesliga goals seemed to be him running in behind defence free as a bird 1v1 with the keeper, with his zimmer frame pace.

The whole league seems to defend like Villa did against Newcastle.
Absolutely! That’s why it’s hard to judge players when signing from this league.

When was the last time Bremen had the ball outside of their own third? I'm sure Bayern is pressing well, but it's still looking a bit too hopeless for Bremen.

I don’t know what happened to Sane but he’s incredibly frustrating to watch these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.