German Football 20/21

Germany had about 10 coaches and all of them were Germans. I don't think it's entirely impossible for a foreigner to get the job, but the first one would probably need a massive reputation.
What is Wenger currently up to? ;)

Seems like he was right in doing so :lol:

He did show some effort and he didn't pass to the opposition during build up, which these days is a positive for him. But that goal was a bad decision terribly executed, so I find it hard to praise him for it. Hopefully he can get some confidence from it.

Last edited:
He did show some effort and he didn't pass to the opposition during build up, which these days is a positive for him, but that goal was a bad decision terribly executed, so I find it hard to praise him for it. Hopefully he can get some confidence from it.

Yes, he probably will shoot a lot more from distance in future... :cool:

It always amazes me that PSG supposedly offered something like €20-30m for Wendell at some point and that Leverkusen supposedly turned them down.

He did show some effort and he didn't pass to the opposition during build up, which these days is a positive for him. But that goal was a bad decision terribly executed, so I find it hard to praise him for it. Hopefully he can get some confidence from it.
I was rather alluding to Terzic being right in not taking Hertha too seriously as apparently they even concede to shit shots by Brandt ;)

Wendell setting up the goal by deciding it's best to pay a high risk pass when your team has absolutely no cover.

It always amazes me that PSG supposedly offered something like €20-30m for Wendell at some point and that Leverkusen supposedly turned them down.

I was rather alluding to Terzic being right in not taking Hertha too seriously as apparently they even concede to shit shots by Brandt ;)

Oh yes, it's one thing to be extremely negative while it's 0-0, but even after falling behind they showed very little ambition to actually accomplish something with the ball.

Last edited:

Wendell used to be good 3-4 years ago during Schmidt's era and he was young at that time as well, would understand bigger clubs wanting to sign him then and Leverkusen rejecting them.

Like so many Leverkusen youngsters over the years though, he didn't develop enough and is now losing his spot to Ajax's former second choice LB.

It's sad when you look back at the 2014-17 squad when Leverkusen matched the great A.Madrid team to the point of only losing on penalties to them. There was so much hope about that team that it could develop into the next Dortmund with young talented players brimming in the side like Leno, Tah, Henrichs (though I never rated him highly), Wendell, Jedvaj, Hakan, Brandt, Lars Bender. None of these players reached their true potential and a couple, Hakan and Leno, improved after they left Bayer.

Makes you wonder how the others might have turned out had they left earlier.

Wasn't actually aware that footballers were allowed to 'carry' the ball?

Wendell used to be good 3-4 years ago during Schmidt's era and he was young at that time as well, would understand bigger clubs wanting to sign him then and Leverkusen rejecting them.

Like so many Leverkusen youngsters over the years though, he didn't develop enough and is now losing his spot to Ajax's former second choice LB.

It's sad when you look back at the 2014-17 squad when Leverkusen matched the great A.Madrid team to the point of only losing on penalties to them. There was so much hope about that team that it could develop into the next Dortmund with young talented players brimming in the side like Leno, Tah, Henrichs (though I never rated him highly), Wendell, Jedvaj, Hakan, Brandt, Lars Bender. None of these players reached their true potential and a couple, Hakan and Leno, improved after they left Bayer.

Makes you wonder how the others might have turned out had they left earlier.

I'm not watching every Leverkusen game, so my impressions might deceive me, but ever since he's been playing in Bundesliga Wendell has always looked like a player that would almost single handedly lose his team several points a year with inexplicable brain farts. Today is another case in point: on the first goal he stayed like 5+m away from the player who assisted, then he set up the indirect free kick inside their box, then he set up the 0:2 by playing a sloppy pass when his team was wide open at the back and at the end he gave Bielefeld two unnecessary fouls at the corner flag and a throw in to run down the clock.
I don't see and I never saw an upside in his play that would justify keeping such a calamity on your team. His career high is like 3 assists in a season.

I don't think Leverkusen, due to the nature of their club, ever had the chance to develop into something bigger. Their fans constantly bemoan what they call the club's "comfort zone": a club culture that supposedly doesn't demand performance and fosters complacency. Maybe that's part of what you are describing. Though I think that high point against Atletico wasn't just the players, but also had a lot to do with how Roger Schmidt approaches football.

Last edited:
I'm not watching every Leverkusen game, so my impressions might deceive me, but ever since he's been playing in Bundesliga Wendell has always looked like a player that would almost single handedly lose his team several points a year with inexplicable brain farts. Today is another case in point: on the first goal he stayed like 5+m away from the player who assisted, then he set up the indirect free kick inside their box, then he set up the 0:2 by playing a sloppy pass when his team was wide open at the back and at the end he gave Bielefeld two unnecessary fouls at the corner flag and a throw in to run down the clock.
I don't see and I never saw an upside in his play that would justify keeping such a calamity on your team. His career high is like 3 assists in a season.

I don't think Leverkusen, due to the nature of their club, ever had the chance to develop into something bigger. Their fans constantly bemoan what they call the club's "comfort zone": a club culture that supposedly doesn't demand performance and fosters complacency. Maybe that's part of what you are describing. Though I think that high point against Atletico wasn't just the players, but also had a lot to do with how Roger Schmidt approaches football.

Yea, I liked the Leverkusen team under him. Fast paced football at epitomized the tactics in the BL at that time, just much higher than the rest. Sad that he burned out the team by his third season, and he was a bit of a d*ck as well.

Not even fans care about them. Most of them are busy defending their rivals on a utd forum anyways.

Maybe we can agree to keep stuff like this to the turdball or to the Dortmund watch thread? They are already beyond salvation. No need to poison this thread as well.

Bielefeld suddenly look to be in quite a decent spot. They have to face Rasenballsport next, but after that they only play teams ranked 9th or lower.

Will definitively be trying to catch the Hertha-Schalke game in the Olympiastadion next season. I also promised a Hertha sympathizing mate I'd accompany him to one home game of his choosing, with the choices being Erzgebirge Aue or Osnabrück.

Will definitively be trying to catch the Hertha-Schalke game in the Olympiastadion next season. I also promised a Hertha sympathizing mate I'd accompany him to one home game of his choosing, with the choices being Erzgebirge Aue or Osnabrück.

I imagine the Olympiastadion brimming at 5% capacity on a cold sunday will be quite the spectacle. The situation would also offer an incredible range of "finally a top team" compliments.

Bielefeld suddenly look to be in quite a decent spot. They have to face Rasenballsport next, but after that they only play teams ranked 9th or lower.

Bielefeld and Hertha have the easiest schedule from here on out but they both play the more difficult remaining matches right at the beginning of this stretch.

It'll be the opposite way for Mainz who play 5 weaker teams before finishing their run against Bayern, Frankfurt, Dortmund and Wolfsburg.

Not sure which type of schedule I'd prefer. And then there's still Köln who could easily drop all the way down. Difficult to predict which teams will get relegated.

I imagine the Olympiastadion brimming at 5% capacity on a cold sunday will be quite the spectacle. The situation would also offer an incredible range of "finally a top team" compliments.
There's no colder place on earth than the Berliner Olympiastadion in winter

Bielefeld and Hertha have the easiest schedule from here on out but they both play the more difficult remaining matches right at the beginning of this stretch.

It'll be the opposite way for Mainz who play 5 weaker teams before finishing their run against Bayern, Frankfurt, Dortmund and Wolfsburg.

Not sure which type of schedule I'd prefer. And then there's still Köln who could easily drop all the way down. Difficult to predict which teams will get relegated.

Bielefeld have a relatively easy schedule going for them, Mainz have momentum on their side, Hertha have their €200m squad and an endless supply of Dardai family members, Cologne have nothing. So my bet would be them. Though with everyone still playing each other down there and Hertha somehow being in worse shape than Gladbach, luck and coincidence will probably decide in the end.

Hertha-Hansa with 20k away fans :drool:

Germany has announced their squad for the u21 EURO

The absence of Musiala and Wirtz suggests that they will debut for die Mannschaft.

Some names worth pointing out:
Youssoufa Moukoko for obvious reasons.
Malick Thiaw, of Schalke fame, who would also have been eligible for Finland and Senegal via his parents.
Lukas Nmecha, who switched over from England in 2019
Mateo Klimowicz, son of Diego, who received some call ups from Argentina in the past
Ridle Baku, whose performances this season would have warranted an invitation from Löw

In general it's not the most exiting list by German standards though. Moukoko and Baku are really the only two "top" names, Nmecha has 13 goals for Anderlecht, but I haven't watched him play at all and Thiaw might turn out good in a couple of years.

Last edited:
The absence of Musiala and Wirtz suggests that they will debut for die Mannschaft.

Sounds like it for Wirtz, but as far as I know Musiala is not eligible for the German U21 at the Euros (as he played in the qualifying stages for England) and I don't think this points at a selection for the senior team yet. Would be ridiculous, too.

Sounds like it for Wirtz, but as far as I know Musiala is not eligible for the German U21 at the Euros (as he played in the qualifying stages for England) and I don't think this points at a selection for the senior team yet. Would be ridiculous, too.

Musiala will be selected for the March matches of the senior team. That was already told some weeks ago. He probably will even get some minutes of playing time.

I didn't know about that, how rude of the English, to rob him of his u21 EURO. But I still think Musiala will get a call-up, even if only to tie him down for the future. Announcing his switch of allegiance like they did would have made little sense if he would have had to wait months or years before his first match.

Beautiful.
Or maybe an away trip with a stroll on the beach?

"Was kommt aus Berlin? Bananen und Apfelsinen!"
:lol:
Given that I`m quite a pessimist, I think its sadly more likely that Hertha will be in the second division than Hansa. Hoping for the anti-jinx of course!

Just seen Leverkusen's recent results.....christ almighty. :lol:

Knocked out comfortably by Young boys in europa and last few Bundesliga results have been 2-2 at home to Mainz, 1-1 at Augsburg and lost 1-2 at home to Freiburg and Bielefeld. Also before lost to v Leipzig and Wolfsburg. Even with all that still only 4 points off 4th.

Yet another promising position mid season that has just disintegrated, Bosz must be close to the sack as looking at their line up yesterday it dosen't seem like they have many injuries.

You could put Leverkusen, Arsenal and Roma all in some DNA chamber and merge them all and you'd still be miles off a title challenging team.

Most tier 1 football nations hardly get a foreign coach

I can't recall Italy Spain Brazil France Holland actually England would be the only tier 2 and above country I know who has ever used a foreign coach
There are 'tiers' of national football teams? Who is in tier 1?

There are 'tiers' of national football teams? Who is in tier 1?

World cup winners more or less although in terms of population and infastructure Uruguay would probably go in tier 2.

Portugal probably biggest national team out there that in recent times other than England have gone for foreign with Big Phil. Was talk around 2000 Germany were considering Roy Hodgson which would've been bizarre.

:lol:
Given that I`m quite a pessimist, I think its sadly more likely that Hertha will be in the second division than Hansa. Hoping for the anti-jinx of course!
How's the season been? Just from looking at the table, it looks like a good position for the play-off, at least. How long since you've been in the 2.Liga, 10 years?
Would be awesome to have both Hansa and Dynamo Dresden (who I think struggled initially this season) back. Think it's ok to sacrifice a Sandhausen or Osnabrück for that.

Musiala will be selected for the March matches of the senior team. That was already told some weeks ago. He probably will even get some minutes of playing time.
Yes, but surely he won't go to the Euros, would you say?