General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He still hasn't won an election.

So? He ran a campaign that obviously worked and turned what everyone and the polls thought would be the worst rout in electoral history into a hung parliament. A phenomenal result. If the SNP hadn't been nearly as arrogant as the Tories he could well have been PM by now.

So? He ran a campaign that obviously worked and turned what everyone and the polls thought would be the worst rout in electoral history into a hung parliament. A phenomenal result. If the SNP hadn't been nearly as arrogant as the Tories he could well have been PM by now.

And whose fault was it that Labour polled so badly? That would be the same guy that didn't win them this election.

Exactly. She's a train-wreck. Done a piss poor job as prime minister after a string of stupid decisions and a woeful campaign that was dead in the water as soon as she refused the debate. Cowardly, insipid and incompetent.

Yet still perceived as no worse of a PM than Corbyn? Fecking hell. What's she got to do to poll behind him?!
Leveson2

The medias in all honesty.

Look at the difference of the coverage now with May whoring herself to a potential terrorist party. Look at how a former ira member being in the tory cabinet was ignored.

That's such a cop-out. Every Labour PM ever has had to cope with adversaries in the mainly right wing newspaper media. If anything, the rise of social media makes the influence of the Mail et al at an all time low.

The UK is Tory by default.
I disagree. There is no doubt that many are still sucked in by the rabid right-wing press though. It's the extent of their bias that allows the BBC to claim to be neutral by comparison when they are in fact anything but.
Labour always have to pull something out of the bag to win the GE.
No. Just muzzle the attack dogs in the media. Leveson2 might achieve that.

That's such a cop-out. Every Labour PM ever has had to cope with adversaries in the mainly right wing newspaper media. If anything, the rise of social media makes the influence of the Mail et al at an all time low.
The negative press on Corbyn before the election was largely self inflicted. If current/former Labour MPs weren't so vocally against him then the media wouldn't have had so much ammo to with. Of course the media were going to report on the very public Labour infight and to those who watched it closely or in passing it all seemed messy.

The negative press on Corbyn before the election was largely self inflicted. If current/former Labour MPs weren't so vocally against him then the media wouldn't have had so much ammo to with. Of course the media were going to report on the very public Labour infight and to those who watched it closely or in passing it all seemed messy.

Exactly. Labour will always have to cope with the Murdoch attack dogs but when there's think pieces in the traditionally left-leaning press about Corbyn's unsuitability to lead then that's on him. A good leader has to rally everyone to the cause, inside and outside the party, when it matters most. Didn't help that he made such a pig's ear out of Labour's contribution to the Brexit referendum, of course.

Hopefully this won't be so much of an issue in the next election but it's hard not to think of Corbyn's Labour leadership so far as one missed opportunity after another, with the UK paying the price for having weak opposition at such a critical period in its history.

In fact i can imagine her next speech:

"Ladies and gentlemen of Great Britain, i have been perfectly clear that you have (sort of) chosen me as the leader of the government for the next five years and thus given me a mandate to begin my negotiations for Brexit.

I am being clear that I intend to set out my vision and determination to get the best possible deal for Britain, but I will stress once again that no deal is better than a bad deal. I will return following these negotiations and continue to guide the nation as your strong and stable leader.

Finally, Susan Smith from Bootle, my intelligence team have asked me to inform you that Bob won't be home for dinner as he has a late meeting. We have spotted that you haven't been active on whats app for 7 hours and we didn't want you to worry"

All mostly true, but still kinda hanging on to the outdated pre-Brexit, pre-Trump, pre-Corbyn model of rational vanilla politics IMO. Yes, the center is still where we're eventually heading (swings and roundabouts and all) but the entire purpose of the Labour Party is to push that center further and further left. Even Tony Blair, the hated horned demon centrist of the Corbyn uprising, was the only reason Cameron's Tory Government legalised Gay marriage. Any self respecting Tory would've spat their caviar flavoured Champagne in your face had that been suggested before a decade of Labour rule. And a soft, centrist Labour rule at that.

That's what it's about. Right now both sides are so polarised that rushing to claim that void too soon would lose votes either way, but Labour are in the better position of the two IMO.

Even a centrist Tory leader would be seen as necessitating yet another election, another embarrassing policy climb down and their 3rd leadership in as many years. Sure, some people may be placated, but many would also see them as an omnishambles, and the reason we're spending precious millions on endless party political dick-swinging.

Hence why it's never been more important for Labour to find a way (any way!) to push in the same direction. To enact that shifting of the status quo. Many of us thought it'd be a decade before we had a chance like this, but we've been granted it now, so feck pessimism, all hands to the pump comrades! I can see how many would see the DUP coalition as a step backwards, but the night is always darkest before the dawn [/batman]
Indeed. Maybe Corbyn wouldn't attract the Blairites if he moved slightly more centrally, but he does need an extra few million votes if we have a repeat election. Who knows if the youth will even turn out next time.

But actually, I think everyone, left or right, is usually best served by starting from the central position and pushing in their preferred direction. Consider these two statements;

1) There are too many Indian doctors in this country.
2) We do not train enough doctors in this country, and are over reliant on attracting them from abroad.

Both statements could mean the same thing, but the first starts from the right and stays there, the second starts from the centre and pushes right.

If a right-leaning person said the former (and its not a radical thought), the left-leaners would groan and shake their heads. But if they said the second, many would consider it.

The same applies in reverse.

1) All drugs, hard and soft, should be immediately legalised, and those in prison for drug offences released.
2) Drug addicts cost this country billions of pounds a year. Treating addicts as criminals, instead of having a mental illness, exacerbates the problem.

Not the best example, but we'll run with it. Starting from the centre gathers the largest number possible, and takes them in the direction you want them to go. I often find the 'quite-far-right' start with relatively good intentions, but fail to come up with a coherent centralist explanstion as to why the radical right offers a better solution. Or they attack the effect and not the cause.

The big problem of course, is that the right don't just hate Corbyn just because he is on the left, they hate him because he is a "terrorist sympathiser". If there is a potential replacement who looks like more of a statesmen who can unite the centre and the left, then maybe Corbyn really should step down in the next two years. I'm not saying he's a failure, or with any ill-feeling towards him, but it could be the best thing for the party. Like Sturgeon and Salmond.

But there are too many variables to even think about that now. Corbyn got 5% more of the vote than Tony Blair did in 2005. Brexit could be a s**t-show. Maybe, he will find himself as Prime Minister sooner than we think.

All i know is the centre is under-represented. May's replacement *will* move towards the centre. Corbyn may be a revolution, but he needs to be a revolution Labour can win

Last edited:
Just watching Corbyn on Marr's show. This result has done him the world of good. Never seen him so confident... definitely got a bit of bravado about him now.

The Conservative campaign…

:lol:

They had until 2020, were looking somewhat strong and stable, and now look at them. She's a complete mess. As an aside, they should take her campaign bus to NASA, have it shot into space, and try to forget about it. The thing is a four-wheeled curse.

From a Tory electoral strategy point of view, their next leader should be someone more likely to appeal to modern/young/urban voters... Sajid Javid might be one of the better choices in that respect.

It's 100% her fault.

Mind you, her pig-shagging predecessor should be in the stocks beside her.

Two things that we didn't need and were totally unnecessary, the referendum and this election. Next it will be a party leadership campaign. May just won't survive this and by the look of her......doesn't want to. The new Tory leader will come in, reaffirm the situation as hopeless and call another election which has a high chance of being another hung parliament. I can see United winning another treble before this country starts to come through this murky, unpredictable period.

From a Tory electoral strategy point of view, their next leader should be someone more likely to appeal to modern/young/urban voters... Sajid Javid might be one of the better choices in that respect.
For me it should be Dan Hannan. No one deserves the crown and shackle of Brexit more than him.

Not that he's an MP or a Lord. Small problem.

Everytime I remember this I laugh. It's like taking a big bag of money to the bank but along the way you decide to throw it in the river, and then you set your head on fire.
They got greedy. It's the disease that runs through the whole Tory party, both from a policy and career perspective.

That's such a cop-out. Every Labour PM ever has had to cope with adversaries in the mainly right wing newspaper media. If anything, the rise of social media makes the influen9ce of the Mail et al at an all time low.
Come on pogue. I am guessing we have both been around long enough to know that this media hate campaign against Corbyn spearheaded by the sun was the worst in history. It is also becoming much more apparent since the lack of terririst sympathisor stuff that has been published since may starting to whore herself to the dup. I do agree that since social media it is more obvious though

And that's true. Her approval ratings were through the roof; they fell gradually but are well above water even after this disaster.

Now, both parties have an increased %age because of the UKIP collapse, and a smaller LD, Green, and SNP decline. It seems to be a return to 2-party politics at least for a while (in terms of votes if not seats). This is much better than 2010 (with Liberals on the rise as an alternative to Iraq/2008-tainted Labour, and the "caring conservativism"/we're all in this together from Cameron trying to appeal to the centre better.
Im worried it only feels better becuase we did better then expected and torries did worse then expected, when all the emotions of that die down, and reality of a conservative backed up DUP goverment sinks in, i think 2010, where at least we had the Lib Dems vaguely reigning them in, will look like a similar result.

all this stuff we've heard over the last few days about Labour winning and tory's losing this election, will i think feel a bit silly in retrospect....becuase what ever way we spin it the tory's won.

Last edited:
Im worried it only feels better becuase we did better then expected and torries did worse then expected, when all the emotions of that die down, and reality of a conservative backed up DUP goverment sinks in, i think 2010, where at least we had the Lib Dems vaguely reigning them in, will look like a similar result.

all this stuff we've heard over the last few days about Labour winning and tory's losing this election, will i think feel a bit silly in retrospect....becuase what ever way we spin it the tory's won.
Theres a lot of talk about another election etc but obviously it wont happen. Even if a new leader is put in power they wont call another election. Jeremy Corbyn will have his shot again in the next election in 5y time. Anyone else who believes he will somehow get power sooner is a bit blinkered IMO. The Torys increased their vote share this election. If anything, May is more popular than Cameron was when he called the last election. The party got the majority of seats and the majority of the vote. They have democratically been voted the most popular party in seats and votes and thus are leading the country. I am not a May fan but i dont see how it can be viewed any differenyly. Talk of a Labour party leading govt is bizarre and would be undemocratic - they did not get the majority of the vote. We cant keep changing the goal posts until we get the result we want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38229535

In 2014, a whistleblower sent the email, to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment.

It warned them that the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) was seriously flawed.

In the email, the whistleblower is remarkably clear about where the scheme was going wrong.

The warning was not acted on and the scheme continued on. It was closed earlier this year with a likely overspend of £400m and potentially even more.

She first expressed concerns to then enterprise minister Arlene Foster, who referred her to the team of civil servants in DETI which dealt with energy to investigate.

I thought I'd post this for people who have never heard about Burn to Earn. This is the people that Mat climbing into bed with. Are they corrupted or just criminally stupid?

Theres a lot of talk about another election etc but obviously it wont happen. Even if a new leader is put in power they wont call another election. Jeremy Corbyn will have his shot again in the next election in 5y time. Anyone else who believes he will somehow get power sooner is a bit blinkered IMO. The Torys increased their vote share this election. If anything, May is more popular than Cameron was when he called the last election. The party got the majority of seats and the majority of the vote. They have democratically been voted the most popular party in seats and votes and thus are leading the country. I am not a May fan but i dont see how it can be viewed any differenyly. Talk of a Labour party leading govt is bizarre and would be undemocratic - they did not get the majority of the vote. We cant keep changing the goal posts until we get the result we want.

No way will this parliament run 5 years.

Sky correspondent in NI just said that 'Arlene Foster is in church, because obviously the DUP don't negotiate on a sunday'.

This is going to go well :lol:

Sky correspondent in NI just said that 'Arlene Foster is in church, because obviously the DUP don't negotiate on a sunday'.

This is going to go well :lol:

"obviously"

Do wonder if this damages Sinn Fein. Obviously a lot of their support is a pro-Republican protest vote but a lot of their support is in rejecting the DUP/Tories. Wonder if next time people will go with other parties of the left in NI knowing that SF's refusal to take their seats has effectively allowed the DUP to be at the heart of the UK government for the first time ever.

Nobody won in terms of having enough seats to form a Government.

Tory-DUP alliance handling Brexit & copping the resultant shit is good for Labour in the short term.

There's a 2nd referendum or repeat Election in this somewhere, just the route that takes us there which is unclear. Parliamentary chaos leads to one or the other in all probability. New Tory leader has no mandate & is propped up by stroppy Irish folk that they've had to bribe.

I guess you are right.

Not that people didn't talk about Austerity. I think it was talked about *a lot* more then than it is now. People don't care so much about cuts to local government now, just the NHS.
They are complaining around here that the grass isn't been cut often enough. The thing is that nobody ties that back to Austerity. Same with the bins being emptied fortnightly.

McDonnell disappointing on Peston this morning. Labour have great opportunity with the SNP, non-mental Tories and the Lib Dems of avoiding hard Brexit. Asked whether he'd oppose move to rip us out of the single market he indicated he'd support the Tory government instead.

The election shows, particularly but not exclusively among the young, there's an enormous consternation at this idea that hardline Tory right-wingers have been allowed to interpret what the Brexit vote meant beyond what was on the ballot paper and disappointing that Labour's front bench seem bizarrely hesitant to challenge that. Opposing exit from the single market could be something that unites the party behind Corbyn, even if it is on one issue, and could deliver a massive embarrassing defeat for the govt if added in to an amendment to the Queen's Speech.