Gay rights (or lack thereof)

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
"Other countries have worse LGBTQ records" is a stupid argument, especially when it appears as though some states in the US are racing backwards to join those countries.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
In contrast to most of the Western world these states in America are terrible at it. That's not the most egregious part though. The fact that parts of the US are going backwards and are experiencing some sort of unlightenment is far more worrying.

And yes, it's not as bad as outlawing it entirely as happens in other parts of the world which in turn is not as bad as your entire family being murdered by guerillas, but if we can only discuss problems if no bigger problem exists, this place will become a bit quiet.
I think there’s a difference between discussing problems and “America is basically a third world country isn’t it” ?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think there’s a difference between discussing problems and “America is basically a third world country isn’t it” ?
Oh sure that's a bit much. Though the mindset of some of the right wing looneys isnt far off in terms of acceptence of gay (or women's) rights.

Come to think of it my comment was more about the guy saying it's not as bad as in Palestine.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Oh sure that's a bit much. Though the mindset of some of the right wing looneys isnt far off in terms of acceptence of gay (or women's) rights.

Come to think of it my comment was more about the guy saying it's not as bad as in Palestine.
there are crazies but I guess it’s my bias I wish people pinpointed certain states and not America. There are some cities and states that may shock people (both positively and negatively)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
there are crazies but I guess it’s my bias I wish people pinpointed certain states and not America. There are some cities and states that may shock people (both positively and negatively)
I'm sure that's true. It's always seemed almost weirs that it's actually one country seeing how much it differs from state to state.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The United States is still one of the best countries for LGBT rights according to Equaldex (January 2023).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equaldex

There are so many countries in the world where LGBT people have huge problems today. I don't understand why we don't talk more about this. Especially since in this forum we have many people who grew up outside the US.
Have you looked in to this index at all? Because its methodology looks rather dodgy to me.

Cloud7

After a few years of things going in the right direction in this regard it seems like we're swinging back in the wrong direction again.

Also, a lot of the venom that is initially directed at trans stuff appears as if it's being used to demonize gay/lesbian folks as well. They are doing all they can to turn the clocks back.

DOTA

Uganda doing Uganda things. Ridiculous law.
Thought the BBC's headline for this was particularly weird.

It's so weak it sounds supportive. 'Tough' is probably conservatives favourite word for describing their own politics.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thought the BBC's headline for this was particularly weird.

It's so weak it sounds supportive. 'Tough' is probably conservatives favourite word for describing their own politics.
I know what you mean. I guess they're written it straight without passing judgement, although you could argue 'anti' is a negative. No idea how they normally cover heinous human rights policies overseas or if their neutrality even has to be a thing on non-UK news or at least stories like this? Personally I'd have gotten death penalty in the headline.

RoyH1

After a few years of things going in the right direction in this regard it seems like we're swinging back in the wrong direction again.

Also, a lot of the venom that is initially directed at trans stuff appears as if it's being used to demonize gay/lesbian folks as well. They are doing all they can to turn the clocks back.
Progress is rarely ever linear. Two steps forward and one step back is the way of things. What's important is that there is plenty pushback right now so that step is minimal and we can get a great leap forward next.

frostbite

Did anyone really expect Muslims to "embrace" LGBTQ?

‘A sense of betrayal’: liberal dismay as Muslim-led US city bans Pride flags

Many liberals celebrated when Hamtramck, Michigan, elected a Muslim-majority council in 2015 but a vote to exclude LGBTQ+ flags from city property has soured relations

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...higan-muslim-council-lgbtq-pride-flags-banned

In 2015, many liberal residents in Hamtramck, Michigan, celebrated as their city attracted international attention for becoming the first in the United States to elect a Muslim-majority city council.

They viewed the power shift and diversity as a symbolic but meaningful rebuke of the Islamophobic rhetoric that was a central theme of then Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s campaign.

This week many of those same residents watched in dismay as a now fully Muslim and socially conservative city council passed legislation banning Pride flags from being flown on city property that had – like many others being flown around the country – been intended to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.

Muslim residents packing city hall erupted in cheers after the council’s unanimous vote, and on Hamtramck’s social media pages, the taunting has been relentless: “Fagless City”, read one post, emphasized with emojis of a bicep flexing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did anyone really expect Muslims to "embrace" LGBTQ?

‘A sense of betrayal’: liberal dismay as Muslim-led US city bans Pride flags

Many liberals celebrated when Hamtramck, Michigan, elected a Muslim-majority council in 2015 but a vote to exclude LGBTQ+ flags from city property has soured relations

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...higan-muslim-council-lgbtq-pride-flags-banned

In 2015, many liberal residents in Hamtramck, Michigan, celebrated as their city attracted international attention for becoming the first in the United States to elect a Muslim-majority city council.

They viewed the power shift and diversity as a symbolic but meaningful rebuke of the Islamophobic rhetoric that was a central theme of then Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s campaign.

This week many of those same residents watched in dismay as a now fully Muslim and socially conservative city council passed legislation banning Pride flags from being flown on city property that had – like many others being flown around the country – been intended to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.

Muslim residents packing city hall erupted in cheers after the council’s unanimous vote, and on Hamtramck’s social media pages, the taunting has been relentless: “Fagless City”, read one post, emphasized with emojis of a bicep flexing.
One would think that they should follow the generally permissive culture towards LGBTQ+ here in the states.

I remember that being a thing recently.

Agent Red

I need to stop looking at the comments underneath any LGBT articles on Twitter or wherever. Always littered with homophobia and it starts affecting you.

DOTA

I need to stop looking at the comments underneath any LGBT articles on Twitter or wherever. Always littered with homophobia and it starts affecting you.
The blue checks who now reside at the top of such ain't generally too fond of us.

Agent Red

The blue checks who now reside at the top of such ain't generally too fond of us.
I sort of expect it then I guess. There are people whose business is to whip this stuff up and they will have their troll followers. It bothers me more when it’s a standard BBC article about eg Uganda increasing penalties for homosexuality or the rights march in Poland and you get the hordes of either “good” or “who cares, why do they want special treatment” etc. I know lots of the comments underneath will similarly be trolls but it still seeps into my mood so I should just stop looking.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I sort of expect it then I guess. There are people whose business is to whip this stuff up and they will have their troll followers. It bothers me more when it’s a standard BBC article about eg Uganda increasing penalties for homosexuality or the rights march in Poland and you get the hordes of either “good” or “who cares, why do they want special treatment” etc. I know lots of the comments underneath will similarly be trolls but it still seeps into my mood so I should just stop looking.
While on an individual level that is definitely best. It just seems to me there is a hugely activist and dangerous right wing movement that it's definitely beneficial to ignore on one level, they almost need to met with resistance or they will just dominate and skew the discourse.

Agent Red

While on an individual level that is definitely best. It just seems to me there is a hugely activist and dangerous right wing movement that it's definitely beneficial to ignore on one level, they almost need to met with resistance or they will just dominate and skew the discourse.
Yeah agree, and that’s partly why I do keep checking I guess because I try to gauge how much is a genuine growing sentiment in response to populist politics or whatever vs. how much is just trolling. I’d engage in a more structured forum like on here. I don’t tweet anyway but even if I did I’m not sure I would engage on there as I think the personal cost would be quite high.

Kinky Melinky

Can't 'cure' it so we ban it. Good work Land of the Free. The pursuit of hetero happiness continues!
This is absolutely spot on. So the general trajectory for some gay folk in some US States:

1. Shame gay people to the point where they are terrified to come out
2. When they do come out to their families, make sure you assure them it's a demonic but curable condition
3. If a gay person agrees to go the anti-gay-indoctrination route, skip to step 5. If the gay person refuses, move to next step
4. Disown the gay family member as a sinful abomination, and request they leave home / if they have already left home, cut all ties. It's their fault
5. Haul them by the collar to church / pray-out-the-gay camp to have them cleansed
6. More shame, more bigotry, more pressure, more hate as a human being is treated like Reagan from The Exorcist
7. When it doesn't work, the gay person either pretends it does, or skips back to step 4
8. Ban any existence of being gay

F*^king vile fascist cnuts

Last edited:

Kinky Melinky

If I were gay and living in America I'd be moving to Vermont. Place looks exceptional and they don't get their cacks in a twist over the most idiotic things

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This is absolutely spot on. So the general trajectory for some gay folk in some US States:

2. When they do come out to their families, make sure you assure them it's a demonic but curable condition
3. If a gay person agrees to go the anti-gay-indoctrination route, skip to step 5. If the gay person refuses, move to next step
4. Disown the gay family member as a sinful abomination, and request they leave home / if they have already left home, cut all ties. It's their fault
5. Haul them by the collar to church / pray-out-the-gay camp to have them cleansed
6. More shame, more bigotry, more pressure, more hate as a human being is treated like Reagan from The Exorcist
7. When it doesn't work, the gay person either pretends it does, or skips back to step 4

feck it’s cruel ain’t it

Kinky Melinky

feck it’s cruel ain’t it
Feckin right it is. It's all religious bigotry. And the irony (believe them or believe them not) is that the records of Jesus available are that of a Liberal man, whose mates were ostracised, some of whom were likely gay and there is no record of him saying being gay is wrong at all.

What these religious nuts have done is they have tailored their religion around their bigotry. Man...if we do happen to have some sort of "life review" when we die, I'd hate to be in the shoes of the likes of De Santis who absolutely knew he should love his neighbour but didn't bother his fexkin arse

klsv

Some good news for a change. First ex-Soviet country to go ahead with this.

stepic

fear mongering trans people has been working so well it was inevitable a renewed attack on gay people was on the cards.

we are literally going back decades as a society.

Kinky Melinky

fear mongering trans people has been working so well it was inevitable a renewed attack on gay people was on the cards.

we are literally going back decades as a society.
The evangelical right are the most confused collection of people one is likely to encounter. There are so many glaring contradictions in their beliefs that they simply refuse to address because it would mean having to give up their bigotry and replace it with love. It would leave them too vulnerable. They would also likely be shunned by their communities and lose all their so called friends. They would be accused for being Liberal.

So instead, they keep attending their churches to keep getting that fill of good old confirmation bias. It helps them sleep at night. It keeps them distracted from actually completely pulling apart what they believe in a liberating act of total deconstruction.