Gay rights (or lack thereof)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Told myself that I’d start a catch all ‘Gay rights (or lack thereof)’ thread when the next surreal law, etc. was passed to ostracize those among us who are LGBTQ+ (there also is a specific ‘transgender rights’ thread for more in-depth discussion).

This was always going to come to pass once they got the pre K to third grade law passed. The fairytalists couldn’t & weren’t just going to stop there. No doubt this law will be duplicated in dozens of states in very short order…

Last edited:

atkar83

They don't want sex ed taught in classes because it makes sexual abuse easier to define to students who would then see signs of it at home or church or wherever. Way too often the creeps leading the charge on anti LGBTQ rhetoric and speak about saving children are the ones then busted messaging pre-teens to get dick picks.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What happens if you say gay?
A tall, handsome, strong man will come to you and gently hug you from behind. You will feel save, loved and cherished for the entirety of a hug that lasted both forever and was over after split seconds. Life will have changed forever. But in a good way.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

feck this and feck the libs from blue states who respond to these stories by telling trans people to move.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What happens if you say gay?
IIrc, the key aspect of the bill is that parents can undertake legal action & sue school districts which undoubtedly has the knock on effect of firing teachers & administrators.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Can't 'cure' it so we ban it. Good work Land of the Free. The pursuit of hetero happiness continues!
The double-speak and white masculine insecurity around all this is really something to behold.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My illustrious state legislator wants nothing to do with Log Cabiners...

Hamnat

My illustrious state legislator wants nothing to do with Log Cabiners...
Yet they still won't learn. Even when the Texas branch is barred from even having a booth at the convention. The clear and obvious disdain and hatred the GOP have for LGBT and these people still chase after them. The independently wealthy and white ones I get it they won't personally see the consequences of all these LGBT hate bills. Thule, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. They can ignore it because they are rich and privileged and it's going to be the regular people who can't move as easily. Can't just pack up and run to a friendlier blue state perhaps as the hate bills pile up in Red States.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
America really is slowly turning into two vastly different countries based on strong religious beliefs of the one side.

Bert_

America really is slowly turning into two vastly different countries based on strong religious beliefs of the one side.
It a shame it's not regional and spread throughout the country. If it was a particular region then it would be best for all parties to just cut them off and let them do their theocratic autocracy thing on their own. After a couple of decades of destitution they'll be begging to return. Their established Christofascist overlords won't allow it though so they'll ironically need to live out their original fantasy and do a 1776 to break free.

DOTA

It a shame it's not regional and spread throughout the country. If it was a particular region then it would be best for all parties to just cut them off and let them do their theocratic autocracy thing on their own. After a couple of decades of destitution they'll be begging to return. Their established Christofascist overlords won't allow it though so they'll ironically need to live out their original fantasy and do a 1776 to break free.
I don't think that would be best for queer people born in said theocratic autocracy.

Bert_

I don't think that would be best for queer people born in said theocratic autocracy.
It would be terrible to the point that people would potentially have to leave their homes, family and friends and become refugees to escape persecution. I'm probably being over dramatic but in some states, it seems to be trending that way regardless.

DOTA

It would be terrible to the point that people would potentially have to leave their homes, family and friends and become refugees to escape persecution. I'm probably being over dramatic but in some states, it seems to be trending that way regardless.
I wouldn't say that's overdramatic but even in a world where they could all be offered safe haven in a mass migration to the more liberally minded areas you can't stop new gay people being born and the hellscape they'd be born in to is gonna be worse than one that continues to be tied to liberal America.

frostbite

For those interested in an international perspective, there is a Wikipedia page with a lot of information and maps.

The US is hated by people in a lot of countries because they support LGBT rights. We have seen this even in the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I have a hard time understanding why so many posts focus on something that looks minor to me compared to what is happening worldwide, especially considering that there are very strong Federal Laws that protect the LGBT communities in the United States. I live in California, but my understanding is that even in the most hard-core Christian fundamentalist cities, you can have gay pride parades without a problem (for example, try this on Palestinian territories and see what happens).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

<<The 2023 Equaldex Equality Index ranks the Nordics, Uruguay, Canada, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States among the best for LGBT rights. The index ranks Yemen, Brunei, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mauritania, Palestine, and Iran among the worst.>>

-----

And here is news from the other side of the world, where we need to try to make real change (but I have no idea how...). It shocked me when I first read this news, and I don't see any efforts by anyone to improve this situation.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-e...k-gay-rights-ce95f6903faf461502cc0800b272b159

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
America is basically a third world country isn’t it. If you’re LGBTQ, poor, sick, working class, black or a racial minority of any kind you can basically expect your human rights to be infringed in some way on a daily basis.

DOTA

For those interested in an international perspective, there is a Wikipedia page with a lot of information and maps.

The US is hated by people in a lot of countries because they support LGBT rights. We have seen this even in the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I have a hard time understanding why so many posts focus on something that looks minor to me compared to what is happening worldwide, especially considering that there are very strong Federal Laws that protect the LGBT communities in the United States. I live in California, but my understanding is that even in the most hard-core Christian fundamentalist cities, you can have gay pride parades without a problem (for example, try this on Palestinian territories and see what happens).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

<<The 2023 Equaldex Equality Index ranks the Nordics, Uruguay, Canada, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States among the best for LGBT rights. The index ranks Yemen, Brunei, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mauritania, Palestine, and Iran among the worst.>>

-----

And here is news from the other side of the world, where we need to try to make real change (but I have no idea how...). It shocked me when I first read this news, and I don't see any efforts by anyone to improve this situation.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-e...k-gay-rights-ce95f6903faf461502cc0800b272b159
Lot of mentions of Palestine here.

frostbite

Lot of mentions of Palestine here.
Just an example of a place where gays really have serious problems. There are obviously many other areas in the world that are equally bad, but this particular AP article shocked me when I read it a few months ago.

frostbite

America is basically a third world country isn’t it. If you’re LGBTQ, poor, sick, working class, black or a racial minority of any kind you can basically expect your human rights to be infringed in some way on a daily basis.
Actually, the United States is one of the best in the world when LGBTQ rights are concerned.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Actually, the United States is one of the best in the world when LGBTQ rights are concerned.
Seems that you haven't been paying attention to a multitude of recent bills being passed in multiple jurisdictions against LGBTQ & allies.

frostbite

Seems that you haven't been paying attention to a multitude of recent bills being passed in multiple jurisdictions against LGBTQ & allies.
The United States is still one of the best countries for LGBT rights according to Equaldex (January 2023).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equaldex

There are so many countries in the world where LGBT people have huge problems today. I don't understand why we don't talk more about this. Especially since in this forum we have many people who grew up outside the US.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The United States is still one of the best countries for LGBT rights according to Equaldex (January 2023).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equaldex

There are so many countries in the world where LGBT people have huge problems today. I don't understand why we don't talk more about this. Especially since in this forum we have many people who grew up outside the US.
Please don’t think this thread is one for American LGBTQ+ issues only. Anywhere there is bias or political terror on them should be illuminated in here.

That said, the Ts are getting absolutely excoriated in the red parts of my country. It is surreal.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
When I reply to these comments I wonder if I’m just taking the bait.

black people and racial minorities in general have a much better quality of life than in most European countries.

LGBTQ depends on the state and city. America is big. Problems with gay discrimination exist across the world and in context America is pretty good at it. It’s just the worst states and cities get highlighted.

Anyway I probably just took the bait …

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
When I reply to these comments I wonder if I’m just taking the bait.

black people and racial minorities in general have a much better quality of life than in most European countries.

LGBTQ depends on the state and city. America is big. Problems with gay discrimination exist across the world and in context America is pretty good at it. It’s just the worst states and cities get highlighted.

Anyway I probably just took the bait …
In contrast to most of the Western world these states in America are terrible at it. That's not the most egregious part though. The fact that parts of the US are going backwards and are experiencing some sort of unlightenment is far more worrying.

And yes, it's not as bad as outlawing it entirely as happens in other parts of the world which in turn is not as bad as your entire family being murdered by guerillas, but if we can only discuss problems if no bigger problem exists, this place will become a bit quiet.