Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

One post of mine vs how many where you reference book readers?

You need to relax dude :lol:
What makes you think I'm not relaxed? It sounds as though you're projecting your own anxieties onto me since I'm not demonstrating any of my own.

The episode aired less than 20 hours ago. In that time, here are all the references you've made to the books vs TV show in some way, shape or form:

Fixed for you ;)

And yeah, we are still excited for the set pieces. But that's not what got us hooked, the story was. It's a shame is all.

Yeah man. To be honest, I find myself not really caring these days and just thinking about the tv route rather than what the story should do.

Pretty much exactly this.

If that all doesn't show the lack of writing ability since the books, I don't know what will.

Not at all. It's stupid, and poorly written now, but it's a good spectacle and we know it has an end in 5 eps, so it's worth sticking with. If anyone watches to hate, then it's stupid, however I don't see many opinions that are arguable.

Walking dead was the only show I grew to hate, so I just stopped watching it. The thread on here was far more entertaining :lol:

That's not really one post.

The point is that it didn't need to happen at all. Any good writer would have realised that it was a complete waste of time.
Disagree. It could have been done better, much better, but it did need to happen.

the dragon ride date was beyond cringey

Ya man, what shite was that?

It was very love story Harry Potter-esque shite to be honest. I love the Dragons, I love the idea of Jon Snow and Dani getting together but unless Jon Snow is riding one of the dragons in the final battle then that whole scene was a complete waste of fecking time. It also takes away from the majestic but dangerous and fear of the dragons who are only controlled by their 'mother' and portraying them as a pet.

I've never criticized GOT and I don't want to be one of these painful critics but that episode came across too short and a complete filler. And I for one don't care for who wrote the episode GRRM or HBO, I still love the show but this episode (although it had it's charms) disappointed me.

Maybe I bigged it up too much by re-watching it all very recently and the whole 2 year waiting craic..

It was very love story Harry Potter-esque shite to be honest. I love the Dragons, I love the idea of Jon Snow and Dani getting together but unless Jon Snow is riding one of the dragons in the final battle then that whole scene was a complete waste of fecking time. It also takes away from the majestic but dangerous and fear of the dragons who are only controlled by their 'mother' and portraying them as a pet.

I've never criticized GOT and I don't want to be one of these painful critics but that episode came across too short and a complete filler. And I for one don't care for who wrote the episode GRRM or HBO, I still love the show but this episode (although it had it's charms) disappointed me.

Maybe I bigged it up too much by re-watching it all very recently and the whole 2 year waiting craic..

Of course Jon will be riding a dragon into battle.

"I don't know how to ride a dragon."

Season 7 said otherwise.

My take on things. Not really spoilers but I've referenced a few episodes so I used one just to be safe.

So I've recently just watched the 7th season for the first time this week after kinda losing interest after watching the first six seasons. Admittedly I've never been the biggest fan of the show and have never read the books etc.

As a few people have said I think the show ultimately peaked at the 'Red Wedding' and also 'Battle of the Bastards' for me. I think the problem they have given themselves is that there have been many good characters over the course of the whole thing but they've mostly just been murdered or killed off.

Now we're left with what remains and let's be honest, it's not the deepest pool of talent in the world but I still find it entertaining and I still watch.

Mostly I think because we've all invested so much time in the series already and we're about to reach the conclusion.

What I just don't really understand though is that people are trying to take the thing seriously. A show with flying dragons, undead armies and magic isn't really a serious show is it and I think can only be taken at face value. It's just meant to be entertaining and if they take a few shortcuts here or there then whatever I suppose.

I think you also have to remember that the final season of any TV show is always extremely difficult to pull off. They can't possibly please everybody.

The dialogue used to be arguably the best part of the show, but now it’s the set pieces and key plot points that have taken the forefront of the show. It’s still good but since they’re way ahead of GRRM now, that strength has diminished.

Lines like “Littlefinger would see this country burn if he could be King of the Ashes” are very few and far between these days.

The old myth goes that Targaryens can only ride dragons (not true though) so I wonder if Dany believes that and has an inkling that Jon is blood related to him?

He got back from North Of The Wall on horseback. Did he actually ride a dragon in the last episode? i don't remember that happening.

Remember the scene on the boat?

So Johnny boy needed to prepare for the big battle, and having sat on top a dragon for 30 seconds he's now the Diane Fossey of the reptile kingdom. And all because it's not the books.

That shot of Missandei and Grey Worm was the Hillary Clinton hotsauce of character diversity.

Speculation :

I don't think Arya's character is completed yet. She's still to kill Cersei. Her entire story would be pointless if all she went through was to just avenge some Freys

Further speculation

Tyrion though I think is finished in this show. He took out Tywin, which in turn made Cersei the head of the lannisters and eventually queen. Over the last couple of seasons he's exposed that Danaerys is a very poor politician and wouldn't make a good queen. I don't know what he's got to offer in the story now

I just don't think they care about our feelings, or finishing Arya's ark - she's a popular character and an early death to someone who's universally popular, would be a huge shock. We're due for some unexpected shocks. I hope i'm wrong, but I'm preparing myself either way.

I agree on Tyrion, but who would kill him & how? He's never anywhere near the battlefield, and Cersei doesn't seem to prioritise killing him above Jamie right now.

Arya has a way to go yet. She has a list which I think will be more fulfilled and as others mentioned she has been predicted to live on by those who have the power to see the future.

Tyrion I think will survive the show. Every ruler needs a hand and he is the best/only hand that can serve.

Surprising deaths who have nothing left to offer would be Sansa
Brien (maybe while trying to save Sanaa)
Sam (after telling Danny and Jon everything he knows)
Hound (killed by Giant who is then killed by Arya perhaps?)
Euron - he literally serves no purpose anymore.

What makes you think I'm not relaxed? It sounds as though you're projecting your own anxieties onto me since I'm not demonstrating any of my own.

The episode aired less than 20 hours ago. In that time, here are all the references you've made to the books vs TV show in some way, shape or form:

That's not really one post.

Yeah I clearly meant about you.

Fanboys are the worst :lol:

I just have one question. Which I think is obvious but il ask anyway

brann was waiting for Jaime right?
In which case jaime likely needs no saving because he's arrived on good intentions, done a complete face turn and Brann will believe that.

It’s turned completely Hollywood. The dragon ride? Piss off. Some Harry Potter shit right about now. Good thing I caught up on the ‘B****, fecking bastards D&D turned this into a joke. Anyway, Jaime is now my favourite character by a country mile, the rest can get burnt as far as I’m concerned.

Jon and Danny getting together needs some depth and screen time, like it or not.

I know it's boring to watch but I think it's going somewhere. I do wish people can just enjoy the show rather than complaining about a short segment in a 1hr season opener.

Jon and Danny getting together needs some depth and screen time, like it or not.

I know it's boring to watch but I think it's going somewhere. I do wish people can just enjoy the show rather than complaining about a short segment in a 1hr season opener.
Please stop.

What a lot of shit this has become, I honestly hate Martin for selling out. feck you Martin.

There is no depth or riddles anymore. Paint by numbers bullshit for the masses.

What a lot of shit this has become, I honestly hate Martin for selling out. feck you Martin.

It's so bad, all the characters have either become really bland (arya..) or are straight up annoying and/or dis-likeable. The cringeworthy levels reached new heights last night.

I'm basically watching it at this point for the same reasons as I stayed with the walking dead so long ... too much of a commitment to walk away from now.

Typical season opener, establishing & re-establishing where characters are in terms of geography and relationships.

Nice to see Sansa calling Tyrion out on being less clever than she previously thought. He's done some stupid things in recent seasons, trusting Cersei being the latest. I just wasn't sure if it was the character being stupid or the writers being stupid.

They have no chemistry and she's his aunt. It's a weird and creepy mix.

The plan should be to include as few scenes with Emilia Clarke trying to act as is possible. Get her looking regal and hot for a few shots and you're sorted, that's her limit.

They have no chemistry and she's his aunt. It's a weird and creepy mix.

The plan should be to include as few scenes with Emilia Clarke trying to act as is possible. Get her looking regal and hot for a few shots and you're sorted, that's her limit.

Incest is all good in that house tbf..

No it wasn't.

We've never seen a white knuckle dragon ride before. Danaerys took to flying without much fanfare. But S08E01's scene showed a different side to what it takes to sit on top of a massive, powerful, dangerous flying beast. It was worth showing. And it needed to happen or else Jon wouldn't have known how to do it when in battle.

That scene was also a very obvious directorial flourish: an idyllic scene in front of a waterfall, the two of them having a fun flight, kissing, at the apex of their relationship. We're almost certainly now going to see the opposite of that as some kind of deterioration occurs taking them to their nadir.

You can't view that sequence in the isolation of a single episode and hate on it just because it's not in the book.

They could have used a minute or two on the whole sequence and get the point across but they spent about 10 % of the episode from the point of those two talking about Sansa to them kissing in front of the waterfall. The first few seasons were no nonsense and straight to the point. That's what separated GoT from everything else. Nowadays they waste too much time on cringe and cheesy stuff like this sequence.

I've never read any of the books so not sure what you're on about at the end there. Just because someone feels the tv series has lost its way in recent years doesn't mean they are book fans.

It's so bad, all the characters have either become really bland (arya..) or are straight up annoying and/or dis-likeable. The cringeworthy levels reached new heights last night.

I'm basically watching it at this point for the same reasons as I stayed with the walking dead so long ... too much of a commitment to walk away from now.

It’s no surprise no new characters have appeared. I read the books from publication, how the feck can Martin honestly write two more books after the shit show of the TV SHOW.

The lord of light and Dardarian has so much promise, now he just wanders around like a tool.

I quit the WALKING dead when the guns started sounding like pea shooters.

I’m inclined to agree with the comments that the show has declined. Since the book material ran out it has gradually become more and more hollywood, sadly.

Used to love the political intrigue, the backstabbing and scheming etc. Now it’s much more about big fantasy set piece battles which, whilst enjoyable, aren’t what [early] GoT was about.

I’ll cart on watching it much like anyone else, since there are only a few episodes left and I want to see how it ends. But if this was season 1 and I had just started watching it, I certainly wouldn’t pay the Now TV subscription for it.