Film FURIOSA (A Mad Max Saga)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Never really a fan when films try to tell a story that's basically already been told by the film they made the last time. There was nothing about Furiosa's character in Fury Road that needed a 2 hour prequel. She was basically the main character of that film and most of the plot was based on her story. I mean I can't even remember what Mad Max was up to in that film.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The review is in

Ubik

Hate the reduction of things to RT scores these days but still, nice to see it getting a good reaction

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Hate the reduction of things to RT scores these days but still, nice to see it getting a good reaction

I chuckle at the prospect of a SOMC (Standing Ovation Minutes at Cannes) index to replace RT. Or a movie length-to-ovation ratio.

stepic

7 minute standing ovation only? It’s double figures or nothing for me

Chairman Steve

Reading the reviews for this make it seem like going to this after seeing Fury Road will be like going to Jackie Brown after seeing Pulp Fiction. A very good movie in its own right that will be inevitably compared to the masterpiece that preceded it and maybe unfairly judged lesser as a result.

Ubik

Reading the reviews for this make it seem like going to this after seeing Fury Road will be like going to Jackie Brown after seeing Pulp Fiction. A very good movie in its own right that will be inevitably compared to the masterpiece that preceded it and maybe unfairly judged lesser as a result.
The real answer is just to stick Fury Road on straight afterwards.

Simbo

Fury road should have been right up my street but I never saw in it what most others did. I was pretty shocked to see how many people love that movie.

I feel like its going to be the same with this one. What am I missing? I want to like this kind of movie. What makes it so enjoyable?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Fury road is very good and lot of fun, but it is basically final chase of The Road Warrior put together as a whole movie. Which is a pretty good idea, but still too thin in terms of a plot to be called a masterpiece. And is obviously inferior compared to The Road Warrior itself.

Still lot of fun as I say so am intrigued with this as well.

Ubik

Fury road is very good and lot of fun, but it is basically final chase of The Road Warrior put together as a whole movie. Which is a pretty good idea, but still too thin in terms of a plot to be called a masterpiece. And is obviously inferior compared to The Road Warrior itself.

Still lot of fun as I say so am intrigued with this as well.
The simplicity of the plot is one of the things that help it become a masterpiece, it allows the characters and themes to be brought out while letting the action speak for itself. That's before you get to the immaculate editing, sound design, stuntwork and cinematography.

Jim Beam

The simplicity of the plot is one of the things that help it become a masterpiece, it allows the characters and themes to be brought out while letting the action speak for itself. That's before you get to the immaculate editing, sound design, stuntwork and cinematography.
For me, the simplicity of the plot is what it actually is. The lack of much story which absolutely does bring the action in the front seat, but without any depth or much character development which are borderline cartoonish (massive amount of CGI doesn't help in this sense). And also in its very core, it is just a new and longer take on the Road Warrior’s most famous action scene and its culmination as a movie. Brilliantly done, but still not something I would say its close to being a masterpiece.

As I say, very good movie, but for me it falls compared to the Road Warrior which is a much more intimate and better movie. Fury road is bigger, faster, more action packed, but I missed the gritty realism which made Mad Max movies so loved in the first place.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Fury road should have been right up my street but I never saw in it what most others did. I was pretty shocked to see how many people love that movie.

I feel like its going to be the same with this one. What am I missing? I want to like this kind of movie. What makes it so enjoyable?
The core idea of Fury Road is that you can’t go back into the past. Be it one of nostalgia or one based on a specific identity. The only future is to change the conditions around you and to strive for the universial subject.

Throughout the film Furiosa is trying to go back to a feminist utopia. The film shows this to be a false reading of the past and also impossible to achieve. It’s not until she talks to Max(A man who has no roots or home)does she realise the only way forward is to take over the Citadel and run it for the the people.

Mike Smalling

The core idea of Fury Road is that you can’t go back into the past. Be it one of nostalgia or one based on a specific identity. The only future is to change the conditions around you and to strive for the universial subject.

Throughout the film Furiosa is trying to go back to a feminist utopia. The film shows this to be a false reading of the past and also impossible to achieve. It’s not until she talks to Max(A man who has no roots or home)does she realise the only way forward is to take over the Citadel and run it for the the people.
Yes, and also big cars go wroom wroom!

nimic

something nice
Scout
For me, the simplicity of the plot is what it actually is. The lack of much story which absolutely does bring the action in the front seat, but without any depth or much character development which are borderline cartoonish (massive amount of CGI doesn't help in this sense). And also in its very core, it is just a new and longer take on the Road Warrior’s most famous action scene and its culmination as a movie. Brilliantly done, but still not something I would say its close to being a masterpiece.

As I say, very good movie, but for me it falls compared to the Road Warrior which is a much more intimate and better movie. Fury road is bigger, faster, more action packed, but I missed the gritty realism which made Mad Max movies so loved in the first place.
Complaining about the amount of CGI is interesting, given the movie nearly didn't get made (and was hell to shoot) because of the massive amount of practical effects and stunts. Obviously it has some CGI, it's trying to portray a world that doesn't exist. It doesn't have any more CGI than other modern action films, though.

I also don't get the complaint about a lack of character development. All of the protagonists have very clear character arcs.

Jim Beam

I also don't get the complaint about a lack of character development. All of the protagonists have very clear character arcs.
Personally, I think that the dog (brilliantly named 'Dog') in 2nd part had more character depth then any in Fury road.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers

I think there's a lot of story but it's just not narrated in the typical, conventional way. The first act for example is masterful in the way they show us what happened to the world, the horrors of the new order and the motivations of all the main characters (Max, Furiosa, Joe and Nux) without actually telling you what's going on while at the same time setting the tone of the movie and general action in insane levels.

In the second act that information is revealed to us in a way that the chase's stakes get incredibly higher (we even lose one of the most important side characters in a way that is not contrived and moves the plot forward), the character arcs (Max and Nux first, Furiosa later) are put in motion and at the same time we keep getting new bits of information on the world we are in (the Riders of the canyon, the People Eater, the Bullet Farmer, the swampy place, the tree thing etc).

In the third act we get the culmination of all the characters arcs in a sensational, continuous, impossible to pull action sequence that gives meaning to every second, gives everyone something to do (even THAT anecdotal character you're thinking about), ties all loose ends and goes all out in a blaze of glory. With also the significance that @Sweet Square mentioned and in an incredibly high production value (design, filming, editing, visual effects -that have less CGI than most action films-, etc). It's an absurdly good cinematic experience. And I loved Road Warrior too and think the story's complexity and the characters development are pretty much on the same level as this one (in fact the parallels are evident in that regard).

Mike Smalling

Complaining about use of CGI in Fury Road is madness. It went to incredible lengths to use practical effects and real stuntmen. Compared to any of its contemporaries it’s miles ahead. Even the flame throwing guitar was functional in real life!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Complaining about use of CGI in Fury Road is madness. It went to incredible lengths to use practical effects and real stuntmen. Compared to any of its contemporaries it’s miles ahead. Even the flame throwing guitar was functional in real life!
The thing I've heard about Furiosa that makes me the most optimistic about its quality is the fact that it had massive production challenges that nearly killed it. That's the only way Fury Road ended up being Fury Road. I'd be more scared if they said it was a smooth process.

Mike Smalling

The thing I've heard about Furiosa that makes me the most optimistic about its quality is the fact that it had massive production challenges that nearly killed it. That's the only way Fury Road ended up being Fury Road. I'd be more scared if they said it was a smooth process.
Wasn’t that largely about Tom Hardy being a jackass?

MiceOnMeth

Don't know why but I don't find the aesthetic of the mad max movies appealing at all

Ubik

Glad to report that it is immense.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Glad to report that it is immense.
Agreed. It was really fun. More character development than Fury Road but the action was still good. It's a point below Fury Road but it's still fantastic. Visual spectacle and better than most blockbusters I've seen recently.