French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I have just been reading that West Ham and Leicester are looking at Ben Yedder from Toulouse, obviously I am very upset that my newly adopted club are losing him. However, it seems after scoring 17 last year and having just one year left on his contract he may be a good buy for someone.

Anyway, maybe someone who has actually seen him play can comment if they think he will be a good signing in the Prem?
He's a good striker, technically gifted and composed in front of the goal. There's no reason why he couldn't succeed in the EPL under a decent manager.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have just been reading that West Ham and Leicester are looking at Ben Yedder from Toulouse, obviously I am very upset that my newly adopted club are losing him. However, it seems after scoring 17 last year and having just one year left on his contract he may be a good buy for someone.

Anyway, maybe someone who has actually seen him play can comment if they think he will be a good signing in the Prem?
The acquisition price would be certainly limited so he could be a good buying.

My only concern is his lack of physical impact in a tough league where the refereeing is a little bit different.

His chances of success in the EPL? 50/50 I'd say

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Ibrahim Sangare signed for Toulouse, 18 years old midfielder. He was voted the best player in the Ivorian league last season. Certainly one to watch out for.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I've been thinking Ben Yedder could be useful for Arsenal, playing something like the Griezmann role behind Giroud. No rumours, though, unfortunately.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Moussa Sissoko: “For the Euros, I give myself 10 out of 10.”
Speaking in an extensive, exclusive interview with France Football, French international and Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko looked back on the heartbreak of EURO 2016. Highlights.

On Eder’s goal…

It was a massive blow. There was not much time left. We had chances to score, but we were not able to capitalise on them. At the end of the match, something happened that we wanted to avoid. I remember that there is a throw-in for us at the beginning. The ball comes between Gignac and Griezmann who look at each other a bit, the Portuguese won the ball back and the Eder show made the difference after that.

It was really hard. During the 5 seconds after the goal was scored, I was in pain, I did not know what to do, where to put myself.

On the feeling of sitting on the bench after being brought off by Didier Deschamps…

I was in tears. Without being impressive throughout the tournament, Portugal remained solid, and were successful, in contrast to us. I will for a long time think about my shot at Rui Patricio. On that night, he was on fire. Hats off to him. It will stick in my throat for a while. This title was at arms-length. We really wanted to write our own history.

On his EURO 2016 performance…

I would give myself a 10/10. I do not feel that I was better than the others, but in the sense that I gave everything I had, I am going to give myself that mark.

On the atmosphere in the dressing room after the defeat…

In the dressing room, there was total silence. Nobody wanted to speak. It went on for between 5 to 10 minutes. We were all hurt, there was a lot of pain. The majority of players were in tears. The coach then spoke, he congratulated us and told us that football was like that, and that we had to accept it. He was proud of our journey, proud of what we had built.

On the night of the defeat…

It was difficult. I could not shut my eyes. I kept replaying moments in my head on a loop throughout the night. I did not want to do anything, talk to anyone, I did not know what could get my morale back up.

On how he prepared during the day before the final…

We had a little muscular wake-up session at about 11, a video session, then the meal. There were some little tweaks to my knee, in which I felt a little niggle. Next, I was relaxing in my room, I was chatting with Bacary Sagna. I was on the phone to my loved ones, I was sending messages to my friends. But the afternoon was very long. I couldn’t wait to lift the trophy…

On who he is closest to in the France squad…

Blaise (Matuidi) and Paul (Pogba). It happened naturally. We did not force things. The kindness of Blaise, the joie de vivre of Paul, his fun nature, his crazy side: I love all of that. I have never had a criticism to make of him (Paul). We have discussed at times and talked about my past, what could be better of him. Whether that is in football or in life. And it is not because I am older that he has nothing to teach me. On the contrary.

On why he believes that so many people have doubted him…

They maybe do not know me. If you look at the players in the national team, every single one finished in the top five in a league, they have played in the Champions League or Europa League, and me, with Newcastle, I was not playing in Europe and we went down to the second division.

I understand why people might doubt me. We have a coach who understands football, if he calls me up, it is because I have certain qualities to go up against the greatest.

On if he wants to be acknowledged…

It is not a must, even if it would be nice. If I feel loved, I am not necessarily going to feel more beautiful, stronger or better in my skin. It will never change me. The most important thing is my family, my friends, my former coaches who know who I am, what I do and what I can do. The outside world affects me less.

On whether it is difficult that his son Kaïs lives in Paris…

He is a mini-me. He gives me extra motivation. I tell myself that I have to succeed, to be the best example. He does not live with me on a daily basis, that is not easy. What is important is that he is healthy, and that he is growing up well. I want him to be proud of me. After the final, he congratulated me, even if he does not really realise the magnitude of everything that is going on.

On if he believes he is better known in England than in France…

Certainly. But that does not upset me and it does not surprise me. It is in the Premier League that I really blew up. In England, it is a fight at first. I am better known here. But you cannot say that I am not loved in France.

On if he is happy with the 10-year long career he has had so far…

If my career was to stop today, I would be very happy with what has happened for me. I tell myself that my path has been quite crazy. I absolutely wanted to become a professional footballer. Today I am one. I did not come from an easy place. When I was young, it was not easy for my parents. My dad was a mason, my mum worked in the building. They put me in the frame of mind that the world was not easy for everyone and that you had to fight.

On whether his friends from the place where he grew up in Paris keep him grounded…

Yes, they are carriers, they work at the airport… I tell myself that I am lucky to do the job that I do today. When I see people in difficulty or suffering, it allows me to keep my feet on the ground. The majority of them would have loved to be professional (footballers). So I think that they are able to live their dreams vicariously through me.

July 19th, 2016

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Lille begin to get anxious over the sale of Sofiane Boufal

According to today’s L’Équipe, Lille are beginning to get anxious about their potential inability to sell Sofiane Boufal this summer, with the club needing capital in order to push through their summer transfer window business and in order not to be punished by the French football financial watchdog the DNCG.

The Moroccan international had an operation in Doha in the middle of May on a meniscus tear and is not due to be operational again until the middle of September, which is when the transfer window is already long gone…

LOSC fear that none of the European clubs that are interested in the player, like Barcelona, Chelsea and Southampton, will want to spend upwards of €25m on an individual that they will have no guarantee will fully recover from his injury.

As a result, LOSC may be forced to keep the player and sell other assets. The club has received multiple offers over €10m for EURO 2016 winner Eder, but does not want to sell him.

Benjamin Stambouli rejects PSG’s offer to leave

According to Le Parisien, PSG Sporting Director Olivier Létang has informed French central midfielder Benjamin Stambouli that he can leave the club if a good offer presents itself this summer.

The former Tottenham man has for the moment rejected this offering on the part of PSG, as he wants to fight for his place in the squad under new manager Unai Emery.

Could it be Sébastien Corchia who is the next most bankable asset?

West Ham make fresh approach for Wissam Ben Yedder

Premier League side West Ham United have made a fresh approach to Toulouse for striker Wissam Ben Yedder.

The Hammers are one of many sides in negotiations with the Ligue 1 club for the striker, who saw a move to Sevilla break down at the last moment after Jorge Sampaoli decided that he was not so interested in Ben Yedder.

Toulouse expect the player’s future to be definitively resolved in the next 10 days.

Georges Kevin Nkoudou expected to arrive in London tomorrow

Marseille winger Georges Kevin Nkoudou is expected to arrive in London tomorrow for contract talks with Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur after OM accepted a €13m plus bonuses & incentives offer for the French youth international.

Nkoudou is set to sign a 5 year contract with Spurs, subject to medical tests.

Manchester City set to make an offer for Riyad Mahrez
Premier League giants Manchester City are due to make a formal offer for Leicester City’s attacker Riyad Mahrez in the coming days, according to Nabil Djellit of France Football.

The Citizens are understood to have turned their attention to Mahrez after the fierce competition they have encountered in the form of Bayern Munich in their pursuit of Leroy Sané.

Barcelona are the other side who seem most likely to act on their interest for the player at this stage, with Mahrez corresponding perfectly as a fourth weapon for the Catalan giants behind MSN.

However, the former Le Havre man wants to play every game wherever he is for the 2016/17 season, which puts Barcelona at a disadvantage.

Pep Guardiola has put himself in a prime position to pounce. Leicester, who have offered the player a contract extension, would concede the sale of Mahrez for around €40m.

More undoubtedly to follow in the coming days…

----------------------
Marseille remain hopeful of Javier Manquillo loan

Marseille manager Franck Passi remains hopeful that the club can secure the loan re-signing of Atletico Madrid right-back Javier Manquillo for the forthcoming season, according to L’Équipe.

OM have however yet to receive any guarantees that the player is certain to want to return to Ligue 1 for the 2016/17 campaign.

--------------------------

Clinton N’Jie rejects Marseille… for now

Cameroonian international Clinton N’Jie sat down with Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino yesterday to establish his chances of playing time for the forthcoming season.

Paul Mitchell was also present at the meeting and both individuals are thought to have been frank with the former Lyon forward: competition for places is going to be even greater at Tottenham this season than it was last season, according to L’Équipe.

The player is happy with the finances that he is currently receiving and has made the decision to stay in an attempt to earn a place at Tottenham.

Marseille have not given up on this particular target, the belief being that OM can chance N’Jie’s mind.

Antonio Pintus quits Lyon for Real Madrid

Fitness coach Antonio Pintus has quit Lyon for Real Madrid, the club’s manager Bruno Génésio has announced on RMC.

Pintus is apparently already in Montreal with the Spanish giants and Champions League winners as we speak.

Marseille transfer list Romain Alessandrini & Rolando

According to today’s edition of L’Équipe, Marseille have transfer listed central defender Rolando and winger Romain Alessandrini as the club’s fire-sale continues.

Both individuals’s wages are deemed disproportionately large vis-à-vis their standing in the squad last season.

Olympiakos and Lazio have been in touch for Alessandrini, with Rolando interesting certain Turkish sides.

Brice Dja Djedje to sign for Watford today
Ivorian right-back Brice Dja Djedje is due to sign for Premier League side Watford today.

The player is set to undergo a medical before signing a likely four year contract with the London based outfit after a €4m fee was agreed with Marseille.

Lyon accept offer from Torino for Clément Grenier
Lyon have accepted a loan offer with an option to buy for French central midfielder Clément Grenier from Serie A side Torino, according to L’Équipe.

Both AC Milan and Southampton are interested in the player, and could make a counter move in the coming hours.

The player had not gone into this transfer window with the desire to leave Lyon, and is currently mulling over the proposition.

He is currently earning about €300k a month at OL, a figure that he is unlikely to be able replicate elsewhere and with his injury history.

Grenier has already rejected Palermo and a Russian side.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Marseille are an utter wreck. Had a bad last season and now ended up selling the few good players they have.
Yeah because the shareholder wants a maximum of cash now before selling the club.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
Ibrahim Sangare signed for Toulouse, 18 years old midfielder. He was voted the best player in the Ivorian league last season. Certainly one to watch out for.
thanks for the info, i was talking to a couple of toulouse fans today who are pretty positive about him. they understand that the best way for them to operate as a club is to get in these young players and then (hopefully) in a few years sell them on to psg or the prem.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I've been thinking Ben Yedder could be useful for Arsenal, playing something like the Griezmann role behind Giroud. No rumours, though, unfortunately.
Hmm, there are rumours now. Some people are predictably annoyed that the rumours aren't about a bigger name, but they would have been annoyed if Arsenal had signed Mahrez a year ago.

Panther

What's happening with Marseille? Only have 11 players in their current squad made at least 1 appearance for them last season and only 6 players in their most frequent XI last season still play for them (with one set to leave this summer).

Kostur

海尔的老板
What's happening with Marseille? Only have 11 players in their current squad made at least 1 appearance for them last season and only 6 players in their most frequent XI last season still play for them (with one set to leave this summer).
Club's gone to shit as far as I'm concerned. Poor management all over, selling players for nothing, shenanigans everywhere, not sure about details but they seem to be in some kind of a freefall if you ask me. Perhaps @BBRBB, @Downcast or @JPRouve can shed some light.

You look at shite money they got for Payet, Gignac who was pretty good for them going for free(?) to Mexico, Imbula sold for some shite cash just for Porto to sell him for a lot more to Stoke months later, Lemina joined Juve iirc, Ayew gone for nothing or close to nothing to Swans, not sure about rest.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Cheeky punt for Lassana Diarra on a 1 year deal? :drool:

We need some defensive steel in midfield.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The owner wants to sell the club. She is bitter because her husband spent a lot of money in the club and yet the fans vilified him, then when he died they turned against her, calling her a whore and all, also the fans have spent years fighting for the partial control of the gate which was enough to scare a lot of potential buyers.

Now the owner is fed up, she doesn't care about the club and rightfully don't give a shit about the fans.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lyon do this season. Hopefully Fekir comes back full strength and they keep hold of Lacazette. Umtiti will be tough to replace, but bringing N'koulou in will do the job

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Club's gone to shit as far as I'm concerned. Poor management all over, selling players for nothing, shenanigans everywhere, not sure about details but they seem to be in some kind of a freefall if you ask me. Perhaps @BBRBB, @Downcast or @JPRouve can shed some light.

You look at shite money they got for Payet, Gignac who was pretty good for them going for free(?) to Mexico, Imbula sold for some shite cash just for Porto to sell him for a lot more to Stoke months later, Lemina joined Juve iirc, Ayew gone for nothing or close to nothing to Swans, not sure about rest.
In one sentence, I would say the management was poor in the last seasons.

- The 1st one is the club has lost many major players like Ayew, Morel, Nkoulou, Gignac... for free.
- Bielsa was the coach of Marseille in 2014/15: 6 superb months and then 6 very difficult months. 1 week after the start of the season 15/16, Bielsa resigned
- Then, the coach Michel came: a failure.
- Fans asking the shareholder of the club to 'quit the club'

The top priority of the shareholder is to earn cash now, make a decent team for next season and sell the club asap.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Marseille hopes for Carlos Sanchez and/or Jordan Veretout are fading

According to La Provence, Marseille’s hopes of signing one or both of Carlos Sanchez and Jordan Veretout from Aston Villa are fading.

OM are currently unable to reach either players’ salary demands.

Bafétimbi Gomis has joined Marseille on loan

Marseille yesterday completed the loan signing of French striker Bafétimbi Gomis from Swansea.

The player passed a medical late yesterday afternoon and then signed the deal.

Swansea will stay pay over 50% of the player’s wages on this loan spell. There is no buy clause included in the contract.

Gomis is travelling to Germany this morning to join up with his teammates

Clinton N’Jie continues to wait for French visa

Tottenham attacker Clinton N’Jie continues to wait for a French visa, having not processed his application properly yesterday resulting in a rejection.

He has already undergone a medical with success for Marseille and is still expected to join in 48 hours time on loan with an obligatory buy clause in the event that he plays x number of matches.

Georges Kevin Nkoudou will then join Tottenham when that deal goes through.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lyon do this season. Hopefully Fekir comes back full strength and they keep hold of Lacazette. Umtiti will be tough to replace, but bringing N'koulou in will do the job
I think Lyon and Monaco make more of a challenge this season. PSG will still win it but, I do not think there will be the same embarrassing gap at the top.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So is the French league big in the US or something? I see so many Americans discussing in this thread :)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Lyon have had an €8m offer accepted by River Plate for central defender Emmanuel Mammana: 20 years

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So is the French league big in the US or something? I see so many Americans discussing in this thread :)
Maybe, Americans think the Ligue 1 is the 2nd level division in the English football league :lol: Or, maybe the English fans think the French league is a tournament between academies so that they don't post here. :devil:

On a more serious note, PSG tries to develop his business there:

- an academy in NY: http://www.psgacademyny.com/
- a 'temporary shop' in L.A

Julie Benz (Dexter, Buffy,..)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIOmxDAgKzz/?taken-by=bemineco

- NBA stars

Golden State Warriors Draymond Green

Durant

JPRouve

Scout
Lyon have had an €8m offer accepted by River Plate for central defender Emmanuel Mammana: 20 years

It's a little more than an offer accepted, he is a Lyon player.

Asger

Is "my" team montpellier likely to do something this season?

JPRouve

Scout
Haha. I'm still deciding if I should go to many games next season or just vs the big teams..
Frederic Hantz develops a nice brand of football, so it should be fun.

Asger

Frederic Hantz develops a nice brand of football, so it should be fun.
I was hoping that they would by some players I know as I was told that the owner of the club is rich. Or by some Icelanders :)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I was hoping that they would by some players I know as I was told that the owner of the club is rich. Or by some Icelanders :)
The owner of Montpellier? Yeah the Nicollin family is rich thanks to his business in the waste business

JPRouve

Scout
Which division? :)
It was at youth level, Pole Excellence.

Edit: I don't know about Falcao, he will have a lot of youth and energy around him, so it's possible.