French League - 'Ligue 1' 2016/17 | AS Monaco Champions!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
thanks for all the info.

it is ok, i don't expect to be following any world class players! I am just looking forward to being able to watch live football again.
You have to know ticket prices are affordable.

For example, if you want to become a season ticket holder, you would have to pay 155 euros for 19 games.

http://abo.tfc.info/tarifs/

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
You have to know ticket prices are affordable.

For example, if you want to become a season ticket holder, you would have to pay 155 euros for 19 games.

http://abo.tfc.info/tarifs/
That is very good value. I was actually tempted to head there for the Russia vs Wales game but after recent events I think I will see if things calm down a little first!

Stringer

Is there any chance of league attendances declining if PSG continue to dominate the league as they have done? I'm no expert but I genuinely can't see anyone else winning the title in the next 10 years (at least) with the financial advantage PSG holds over the rest of the league. All seems rather pointless to be honest.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That is very good value. I was actually tempted to head there for the Russia vs Wales game but after recent events I think I will see if things calm down a little first!
France is not really 'a country of football'. Marseille is a Mediterranean city that could be viewed as a 'city of football', a city known for his excesses.

Toulouse is a 'city of rugby': the stadium is generally empty. There are no 'ultras' there. A very safe place for a football fans.

Regarding Russia vs Wales, I expect the authorities to make the necessary given the recent events in Marseille. However, for Russians, maybe England=Wales.

Hum, you can go there without clothes showing the flag of Wales :D

Is there any chance of league attendances declining if PSG continue to dominate the league as they have done? I'm no expert but I genuinely can't see anyone else winning the title in the next 10 years (at least) with the financial advantage PSG holds over the rest of the league. All seems rather pointless to be honest.
We can't predict football for the next 10 years. This summer, Nice was acquired by powerful Chinese & US investors. The shareholder of Marseille will sell his shares as soon as possible.

In the last 12 months, Bordeaux & Lyon play in their new stadiums.

The reality is without PSG, things would be worse.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
Regarding Russia vs Wales, I expect the authorities to make the necessary given the recent events in Marseille. However, for Russians, maybe England=Wales.

Hum, you can go there without clothes showing the flag of Wales :D
I would imagine so too, I expect (hope) the trouble in Marseille to be a one off and not repeated elsewhere. Also, as you say Toulouse is a friendlier city, I have never felt any sort of threat in Toulouse even when I have been wandering around late at night - I can't say the same for Marseille.

As for not showing colours my wife is Russian so I would be in with their fans which isn't appealing to me so much at the moment....

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
The plan was to go with a few friends. At the moment there are still tickets available so I will probably wait until the next round of fixtures and see if there is any more trouble. Although my wife has done away at Southend so I am sure she would cope!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@goatkrusher

You know the saying "forewarned is forearmed".

Personally, I would take now these tickets and take some precautions there :)

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
@Downcast I think this is good advice, we will keep our heads down and enjoy the game and atmosphere.

Back onto French football, what changes do you think PSG need to make this summer in order to take the next step in Europe?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@goatkrusher Good.

Changes already made

- A new coach: Emery seems to be a hard working coach with an interesting understanding of football if I refer to one of his interview about tactics
- Given the departure of Zlatan, Cavani won't play anymore on the wing (a burden on the left)
- Lo Celso is coming next December: a promising young Argentinian midfielder
- Good young players from the Academy who just signed a pro contract

Changes to make

- A player like Kanté would be a good option to strengthen our midfield: versatile, good mentality & skills. Otherwise, Lassana Diarra is a good short-term solution due to the decline of Motta. PSG also wants Julian Weigl
- An offensive player able to play both as a striker or wing forward: Neymar impossible target, Ben Arfa I don't know
- Marquinhos & Kurzawa will be very probably in the starting 11 next year
- Hope that some major players like Veratti not injured/suspended in the Spring.

Cavani can't replace Zlatan in terms of stats so the other offensive players have to be more stronger.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Any chance of them (Georgen, Ikone, Edouard) breaking into first-team this coming season?
With a coach like Blanc, I would have said 'impossible' because you have to keep in mind Coman was ignored by Blanc: only 3 games in 2 years and his last game he played 10 minutes & scored 1 goal. So he refused to sign a pro contract with PSG.

Now, Emery will be certainly more open-minded.

It would be hard for Georgen (who lacks physical impact as of now) to challenge Aurier: but today he is the #2 as a LB because Van der Wiel left the club
Ikoné - a talented midfielder targeted by Juve once again :mad: before he signed pro - could play a big role by the end of the year.
Augustin & Edouard are the #2 & #3 as CF at the moment: so it would depend of the acquisition (or not) of a new striker.

Cavani played 52 games last season (mainly as wing forward)
Zlatan played 51 games with PSG last season so there is a window opportunity for Ikoné, Augustin & Edouard

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
Certainly having a coach who has consistently been successful in Europe will be a big plus, he definitely know what it takes to win in Europe.

It must be nice to see some young players coming through. How does the academy rate compared to the rest of France? With the amount of good French players and the money PSG has it seems an obvious option to try and make sure most of the best French talent is there.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG, Lyon, Rennes, Monaco have certainly the best academies.

The promotion of youth mainly will depends on our organization:

- A coach ready to invest on youth: the key driver. Blanc is the complete opposite of Wenger on this aspect.
- A sporting director with a midterm strategy. Leonardo has not been replaced.
- Top management is not interesting in short-term profits unlike most clubs that are happy to sell confirmed players at a high price and promote young players

Since the emergence of Coman abroad, PSG start to understand young players can be rapidly high-performing. However, not always easy for PSG to convince his 'products' to sign a pro contract.

NYC

It's good PSG sacked Blanc. PSG has a terrific squad and has been subpar in Europe...

Pep would of been the best choice for PSG with his tactics and the players on the squad, however, many reports are saying Emery will takeover...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's good PSG sacked Blanc. PSG has a terrific squad and has been subpar in Europe...

Pep would of been the best choice for PSG with his tactics and the players on the squad, however, many reports are saying Emery will takeover...
Constant presence in QF is subpar?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ok, PSG played without Verratti/Pastore injured but was very bad against City. So, yes, a subpar performance in Manchester.

Blanc has really no excuses.

PSG has nothing to envy to Atletico Madrid with the notable exception of an elite coach.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Sly Have you followed Veloso, is he any good?
Sorry mate, just noticed this alerta. I haven't been following his career since he left Sporting. He went to Genoa and Dínamo Kiev, which are clubs that aren't followed by portuguese Sports channels. He was very good for us and helped us win a couple of cups. He was also pretty decent in the Euro2012 Campaign but crap in the 2014 World Cup. Don't know if with his age there has been a decline on his production. He has been dropped from our national team though. Surprised he went to Mónaco but Leonardo Jardim must have some kind of plan regarding him. He comes for free and his wages won't be that high, só it's a decent option for Mónaco

JPRouve

Scout
Sorry mate, just noticed this alerta. I haven't been following his career since he left Sporting. He went to Genoa and Dínamo Kiev, which are clubs that aren't followed by portuguese Sports channels. He was very good for us and helped us win a couple of cups. He was also pretty decent in the Euro2012 Campaign but crap in the 2014 World Cup. Don't know if with his age there has been a decline on his production. He has been dropped from our national team though. Surprised he went to Mónaco but Leonardo Jardim must have some kind of plan regarding him. He comes for free and his wages won't be that high, só it's a decent option for Mónaco
Thanks, I hope that he can give them something.

JPRouve

Scout
So Lyon replaced Umtiti with Nkoulou and should add Mammana next week, that's pretty good on paper.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yes Lyon and Monaco are looking to improve from last year, that's good for L1.

On the other hand OM are hitting rock bottom. It will be difficult for them to recover if they don't find another sugar daddy.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I hope this is a general Ligue 1 thread and not a PSG wank-fest, over 80% of discussion so far only about them!

So, when does OM get a new owner? At this rate they will be fighting relegation next season, which will be really very sad indeed, as I see them losing most of their best players this summer... except maybe Thauvin. :nervous: The level of incompetence at the helm of OM, for a club of that size, stature and history, completely baffles and enrages me!

I have taken to OM for years now, they are my favourite team in the French league, especially thanks to their passionate fans ("Paris, on t'enc*le" :lol:), I think only the Corse fans and Saint-Etienne come close. (Can anyone confirm my thoughts?)

JPRouve

Scout
I hope this is a general Ligue 1 thread and not a PSG wank-fest, over 80% of discussion so far only about them!

So, when does OM get a new owner? At this rate they will be fighting relegation next season, which will be really very sad indeed, as I see them losing most of their best players this summer... except maybe Thauvin. :nervous: The level of incompetence at the helm of OM, for a club of that size, stature and history, completely baffles and enrages me!

I have taken to OM for years now, they are my favourite team in the French league, especially thanks to their passionate fans ("Paris, on t'enc*le" :lol:), I think only the Corse fans and Saint-Etienne come close. (Can anyone confirm my thoughts?)
Lyon and Nice fans are a lot more passionate and they support their teams no matter what, unlike Marseille's fans. Also since they moved to the new stadium Lyon have the best atmosphere.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Lyon and Nice fans are a lot more passionate and they support their teams no matter what, unlike Marseille's fans. Also since they moved to the new stadium Lyon have the best atmosphere.
Cheers, mate. I don't get to watch many Nice matches. But I always thought Saint-Etienne's fans were more passionate than Lyon's.

Well, for me that's part of the beauty of Marseille, their fans are extremely demanding, keeping in mind the club's history. I say, fair play to them for not accepting mediocrity.

JPRouve

Scout
Cheers, mate. I don't get to watch many Nice matches. But I always thought Saint-Etienne's fans were more passionate than Lyon's.

Well, for me that's part of the beauty of Marseille, their fans are extremely demanding, keeping in mind the club's history. I say, fair play to them for not accepting mediocrity.
They are the reason why the club struggles to find a new owner, they really are a bad set of fans.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
They are the reason why the club struggles to find a new owner, they really are a bad set of fans.
Come on, man! Such a dedicated fan base is an advantage for the club and not the contrary. You can't possibly be serious that it's because of the fans that the club can't find a new owner. If the Qataris could buy PSG (who had a similar or even worse set of ultras before they were banned) then I don't think fans can be a negative factor for potential new owners.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

There's a dedicated PSG thread now, that will leave space for other teams.

Marseille was indeed the most supported club in the last 30 years. The 2 current candidates to take over OM are Dana and friends, the guy who failed to buy Milan AC last year, and some Iranian investment fund. Both look very dodgy if you ask me.

Come on, man! Such a dedicated fan base is an advantage for the club and not the contrary. You can't possibly be serious that it's because of the fans that the club can't find a new owner. If the Qataris could buy PSG (who had a similar or even worse set of ultras before they were banned) then I don't think fans can be a negative factor for potential new owners.
Qatar only bought PSG once ultras were banned.

In Marseille the club is also infiltrated by the local mafia, there's an investigation over dozens of millions taken from the club at the expense of the current owner.

JPRouve

Scout
Not really, they want control of the gate and blackmailed the club. A new owner will have to deal with that.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Marseille was indeed the most supported club in the last 30 years. The 2 current candidates to take over OM are Dana and friends, the guy who failed to buy Milan AC last year, and some Iranian investment fund. Both look very dodgy if you ask me.
:lol::lol: Well, I guess they will be at home in the ecosystem of Marseille then!

Qatar only bought PSG once ultras were banned.
In Marseille the club is also infiltrated by the local mafia, there's an investigation over dozens of millions taken from the club at the expense of the current owner.
Thanks, I had no knowledge about that.

Not really, they want control of the gate and blackmailed the club. A new owner will have to deal with that.
Okay, I see. That's tough. I won't call those ones fans though. They are just criminals trying to take advantage of the nearby huge football market to make more money. I was referring to the passion of the real fans of Marseille. I'm sure you will agree that besides the criminals, OM does have a strong core of real passionate fans.

JPRouve

Scout
Okay, I see. That's tough. I won't call those ones fans though. They are just criminals trying to take advantage of the nearby huge football market to make more money. I was referring to the passion of the real fans of Marseille. I'm sure you will agree that besides the criminals, OM does have a strong core of real passionate fans.
Marseille have a lot of fans, a lot of them are passionate but the ones going to the stadium or the training center aren't good fans, they abuse their players, the majority are supporting the racketeering of the club and they turn against their team instead of supporting them.
The team can't even win at home, they were excellent away but at home they play in an hostile environment.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Marseille have a lot of fans, a lot of them are passionate but the ones going to the stadium or the training center aren't good fans, they abuse their players, the majority are supporting the racketeering of the club and they turn against their team instead of supporting them.
The team can't even win at home, they were excellent away but at home they play in an hostile environment.
That was only for last season, it hasn't been a regular trend for OM over many seasons. However, I agree that the environment at home matches was terrible last season due to the club's position on the league table. Michel and Labrune didn't help things either. Me thinks, you're exaggerating a wee little bit about the match-going fans of Marseille. Just out of curiosity, are you a fan of any French club? You sound a bit like you're an all-but-Marseille ("Tout Sauf l'OM" :D).

JPRouve

Scout
That was only for last season, it hasn't been a regular trend for OM over many seasons. However, I agree that the environment at home matches was terrible last season due to the club's position on the league table. Michel and Labrune didn't help things either. Me thinks, you're exaggerating a wee little bit about the match-going fans of Marseille. Just out of curiosity, are you a fan of any French club? You sound a bit like you're an all-but-Marseille ("Tout Sauf l'OM" :D).
I like Monaco and I don't like Marseille's supporters, they are the worst kind.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Lucas Digne to join Barcelona

Barcelona have reached an agreement with PSG for the transfer of Lucas Digne.

The player is due to join the Catalan giants for a fee worth €20m. Personal terms appear to have been agreed between the player and Barça, with the former set to sign a five year contract with the La Liga champions tomorrow. He will be officially presented on Thursday.

Antoine Griezmann’s advisor is categorical on the player’s future for this summer

Antoine Griezmann’s football adviser Eric Olhats confirmed last night on RMC that discussions had been held with PSG concerning a possible summer transfer move.

“There were discussions with Olivier Létang. There was in interest from PSG. We listened because it is a club with aims and means. After those discussions and also after listening to other propositions, we opted for continuity. Why not one day?”

“Yes, he will stay. There have been approaches, like for all self-respecting footballers. Now, this is certain. 100%, he will be at Atletico Madrid next season.”

Wilfried Kanga snubs Tottenham Hotspur & signs PSG pro deal

18 year old attacking midfielder Wilfried Kanga has snubbed an offer from Premier League side Tottenham and Benfica in order to sign a three year professional contract with PSG.

The player will immediately join 3rd division side Créteil on loan for the rest of the season.

Everton enter the race for Yann M’Vila

The pressure was cranked up on Sunderland’s pursuit of French defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila last night after it emerged, according to our colleagues at RMC, that fellow Premier League side Everton have entered the race to sign the player.

Sunderland are in active negotiations with Rubin Kavan about signing M’Vila permanently, but there is still no fee agreement in place.

Everton have placed the player on their shortlist but are yet to actively pursue him.

N’Golo Kanté nearing move to Chelsea

According to today’s edition of Le Parisien, French international and central midfielder N’Golo Kanté is on the verge of a move to former Premier League champions Chelsea after a €35m fee was agreed between the two clubs, a sum that is notably higher than the player’s release clause (€26m).

N’Golo Kanté is now set to join Antonio Conte’s men on a five year deal in perhaps even the coming hours

Arsenal part ways with Thierry Henry

Thierry Henry has this evening confirmed via Twitter that he has left the Arsenal coaching staff after deciding not to cease with his Sky Sports pundit commitments.

Henry was offered to manage the Arsenal U18s by Andries Jonker, an offer that he was “honoured” to accept.

However, Arsène Wenger decided that Thierry Henry had to chose between coaching that Arsenal youth side and his commitments as a pundit for Sky Sports.

Henry refused to drop his Sky Sports deal and as a result has left the Arsenal coaching staff.

Sehrou Guirassy heading to the Bundesliga

According to L’Équipe, 20 year old French youth international attacker Sehrou Guirassy will join Bundesliga side Köln in the coming hours.

Guirassy, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Auxerre, will join the German side for €6m excluding bonuses.

A five year contract has already been drawn up. Subject to a medical, Guirassy is a Köln man.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So Lyon replaced Umtiti with Nkoulou and should add Mammana next week, that's pretty good on paper.
Nkoulou what an overrated player simply because... he played for Marseille.

I won't be surprised if he joined Morel - another former Marseille player - on the bench by the end of the season.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
I have just been reading that West Ham and Leicester are looking at Ben Yedder from Toulouse, obviously I am very upset that my newly adopted club are losing him. However, it seems after scoring 17 last year and having just one year left on his contract he may be a good buy for someone.

Anyway, maybe someone who has actually seen him play can comment if they think he will be a good signing in the Prem?